Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Beasty wrote: »
    Welcome back Planet X - going to resurrect your IVCA career?

Tied up playing squash the last two years. Leinster League.
    Time consuming enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Planet X wrote: »
    Kings Mountain 200 6th. Feb.
    Orwell 200 6th. March.
    Midlands Meander 23rd. April.

Might see you on a couple of these though can't see myself dragging my fat ass around 200k in the first week of feb. Thinking of the Ardattin as a gentle spring intro into audax.

Last week 185k. including today's 107k @21.7 mostly solo.
    First spin with old club in about 5 years. :)
    Back to Wicklow with POD and the boys. Nice roads. Nice n damp. Nice coffee break in Newtownmk.

Extending two commutes a week.

111k @21.2kph. Rolling 5:15.

Just the four of us led around scenic back roads of Wicklow by POD. He threw in three steep (5kph crawlers) hills for fun. Quite long and draining.
    With just four of us it was impossible to hide from that wind. Stopped in NewtownMK. again, as they do, and chilled with a Long Black and heated fruit scone.
    The spin back to Stillorgan then was excruciating with the head'ish wind on my tod.
    I'm a trifle fatigued. :)

O...o...o.... first spin on my Brooks C17 Cambium. Very good. Seem to have got the fitting almost spot on on Friday. Just a 3mm. tap to the left to centre it. Comfortable. Solid. Good sit bone support.

O...o...o. we passed Finnoula Britton with her partner out running. She was motoring. Very pleasing on the eye.

I almost hope Jean Byrne summons a big storm for next weekend cos I dread this 200k.

204k @22.8kph. Rolling 8:56.

Kicked off with Lastgasp and two others around 7am. Could've been earlier. Very pleasant morning, roads dry. If it had been raining when I got up I wouldn't have gone. Didn't want ten hours cycling wet.

So, we beat that and made our first enforced stop at Ballivor at about 65k. Big sausage sambo ...."with red sauce love".
    Rolled out only for one of the other guys to puncture. We stopped and between the 4 of us, we got it sorted in about 10.

Bunch of about 6 came up to us with about four PBP warriors. After dawdling for half an hour and chatting, the hammer dropped and the rain started. The route got rolling and a fair few were shelled.

We made it to Kells at about 125k for the next check/time stamp. Had a Coke, homemade sambo & banana but was hanging around getting cold so told the lads "I'd head" thinking they'd meet me down the road a mile or so.

Never saw them again somehow so.....did the next 80k. solo. Jeez.....that was hard. Route was lumpy as f... Kentstown had some ramps, "bottom gear on a triple steep"!
    Had rain and significant wind for a fair part of it. Met up a few Navan lads at about 180k. who were "Having a mechanical lads?"
    No, an "engine Problem". One of them had blown.

Counting off the 10k segments, counting, counting.
    Made two nav. errors in the run in. Minor, less than a k. I reckon.

Navan lads caught up with 5 to go. Hammer down Finglas Road. Home at 16:40 covered in muck from wheel suck.

Funny that, in reflection, in the last 80k flying solo, was only passed by two individuals.......got me to thinking that alot were trying to shortcut it?
    One of the guys who passed me, who I was with earlier, strong rider, came in about 5 minutes after me. Now, he passed me with about 30 to go and wasn't hanging around.

I'm happy with that.
    1:20am Sunday, can't sleep. Opened a bottle of Campo Viejo Rioja. :pac::pac:

Orwell Audax....March 6th.? Mothers Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Well done on ride, 80km solo into headwind to finish a 200km, especially in February.

Any notion of tackling a 300?

Need to do the Orwell and Midlands M. to get my head around 200's before I tackle a 3.

Need to do the Orwell and Midlands M. to get my head around 200's before I tackle a 3.

Any update on this...

I'll pressure on for a 300..:pac:

See how I get on in the Tara 200 this Sunday.
    I've no winter miles done so it's painful enough. Recovery slow enough.
    The wrong side of 50 doesn't help either.
    "Looking" at the Quiet Man or Iron Hills. Just window shopping 😊

• Advertisement

See how I get on in the Tara 200 this Sunday.
    I've no winter miles done so it's painful enough. Recovery slow enough.
    The wrong side of 50 doesn't help either.
    "Looking" at the Quiet Man or Iron Hills. Just window shopping 😊

If your Leinster based, Iron Hills would be more convenient but I'd imagine Quite Man would be less difficult and more rewarding. That terrain in Cavan/Meath is more difficult than in looks on paper I find

I rode a lot of those Quite Man roads roads last year, and was a regular visitor to Mayo in a different life, and that route is outstanding. A very experienced audax rider I occasionally ride with described it as best event on calendar.

Be sure to be in a group when heading south or west though:)

If you do 200's in winter/spring 300 shouldn't be much harder in summer. Just go a little slower

Met a really nice man from Derry last year who had done PBP in the 1980's(I think) but who was attempting it again last year after retiring. There are two 60 yr olds in Cork who always kick the sh1te out of me at 20 years younger.

Oh.....I know Mayo alright. Dad was from Newport and have a brother living in Ballina, the left of centre of the Audax World apparently:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

You should join the Facebook group for the WAWA, for a good dose of left-of-centeredness. ;)

Oh.....I'm on it.
    Sound man Eamonn. ;)

Right........hey ho let's go.

August. Long Herron.
    Sept. Fratres C.
    Oct. Dying Light
    Nov. Faceless M.
    Dec. Geimhreidh.

Now that Audax is the new grey....I've done the three in the centre but not the "all terrain" Long Herron.
    Or the dark to dark "Geimhreidh".

I didn't do the planned three earlier in the year but still did three all the same.

Gotta have a target eh?

Ah well.......and the 6 Aqueducts postponed to this Saturday due to weather conditions.....and I still can't do it.
    Broken/fractured /bruised bone in my right foot giving me a nice hop along limp.
    Swelling, the works.
    Happened last week playing squash and a bone job could be weeks or longer.
    Aye.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hope you make a rapid recovery. Saw a some photos on Facebook today from a spin down the long heron route, and it looks like a tough enough day out.

Cheers.
    Yeah.......it seems to have a bit of character about it alright.

Advertisement