Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Planet X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Beasty wrote: »
    I am guessing they will be doing 2 laps on Sunday, which makes it nearer 45km than the billed 60km - is that right?

As per tonight's committee meeting.
    It will be 4 x 16Km laps of the (green sheds circuit)
    Drumree bypass, Dunshaughlin, Dunsany, Warrenstown.
    Finsish at (or near);) blue sign on Drumree bypass.
    Up hill finish. Armco barrier on the left starts at about 200m from finish.;)

All the best for 2011.
    It will be interesting to see how the TT's unfold.
    Beasty seems to have done all the scientific training and bought the technology.
    You are not giving us much info in this log so as of now unknown.:rolleyes:
    As usual I have nothing done so I will try and get fit as the season goes on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Trouble! Seán Lally in our Green Group. Game over already!!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Planet X wrote: »
    ... and he's 70 this year:eek:

I hear he's not been too well, and may not be racing at present

Wasn't too far out on that prediction. He takes the bunch sprint in the first race of the season, behind two who had already broken away and crossed the line.

Second Sunday League race this morning. Transferred from the Kentstown circuit to the same Warrenstown circuit as last weekend. The one with the uphill / bypass finish after 4 laps, 64k.
    Was going well considering I hosted a fairly "good, late, wet" curry Friday night, 7 adults. Third lap got a puncture about 5 minutes after the chasing bunch caught us but was up the front end of the mixed bunch. Not to worry, first puncture in 4 years of racing ain't too bad.
    Think mc2000 got a puncture a few miles earlier on from me.
    Popped around to the finish line to witness the sprints. Bray lad soloed to victory followed by a Tullamore? guy 50 yds back. Next came the main bunch thundering along uphill. Terry Cromer, Sundrive took that gallop I reckon.
    Unfortunately a crash about 300 from the finish, Clubmate, George O'Rourke was "bad" lying on the road for a good 5 minutes or so. Hope he's OK. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Hi Lads,

From the IVCA website: http://www.ivca.info/

"Best wishes to George O'Rourke recovering in Redwood ward Blanchardstown hospital after an accident last sunday. George has a broken collar bone and some other minor injuries. Tosh lavery has been in to see him and reports he is in good spirits. George is being kept in hospital for observation for a couple of days and sends his thanks to all who assisted him after the fall."

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Yeah I got a puncture starting onto the 3rd lap alright - big thorn stuck into front tyre, took me a while to fish it out. Haven't had a puncture in a race in ages either, so I can't complain. Took a lap out fixing that, and then the bunch came round again so I jumped in again, and just stayed at the back - let them go on up the road in the last 1km for the sprint mayhem, I wasn't in the race so certainly wasn't going to mix it for that - saw the crash where George came down, and along with a few other lads was trying to get the two of them to stay still until Tosh/Ambulance came along - happy to hear George is recovering, he came down fairly heavy and wasn't moving much when I got there at first.

A real gent is George, hope he recovers ok.

Aha, I used one of those, and for the last time, CO2 inflators. Went off in my hand (again :D) in about 2 seconds. Never again. Got a ride back in the ambulance.

That was hot cycling home this evening. Soaking wet, against the wind. One guy had a pop half way home so had to put distance between.

17 degrees???

Had a good spin this morning up Johnny Foxs' / Cruagh / Stocking. Feeling fairly bet now.

My Thursday afternoon fix up around Johnnys. Listening to the news all morning at work, weather forecast saying that it'll clear up any minute and burn off, so I wore my short sleeved jersey to work for my afternoon spin.

No, not going to happen. Actually, up at Glencullen Pitch n Putt Club visibility was down to about 70/80 yds. Dense fog. Tempted to turn back. Went down to Johnnys and travelled over to Cruagh Wood. Pea soup, the silence was really nice. Waiting for a big 'Hound of The Baskervilles" to jump out in front of me and rip my neck out. Really bad 'till I "hit" O'Connells Rock, went around a bend and it was crystal clear. Up to the Viewing Point and saw the sun shining out over Dublin below. Brill. Down Stocking and had a brief chat with a Lollipop lady at lights in Ballyboden.

Sun came out a mile from home.

With the extra hour am tempted to go up again tomorrow evening.
    "Up again, down Stocking and look out for the Lollipop Lady."

Dundalk.
    80k.
    1 lap. Into Ardee. Back to Ardee. And back up da road.

Problem was that no one knew exactly where the finish was, to a degree, big long drag to the finish, 4 odd miles............

A few popped off the front, TT'ed it, reeled in, up and down, draggy.

Eventually we saw the cars in the distance, chequered, hot mornings ride, a few shapes were thrown, slowed, who'se going to show their hand.

Two guys got away half way through the race and held it, Chapeau, alot of Motorway riding, but come the gallop......there's, as, always a few noobs, who hammered away, before we saw the line, I tuck in, I thought I was doing too much on the front, I was.
    Thought I'd be wasted again, which happened the last few years in the Vets.. Then again, keep up front................
    Half mile............we all saw the chequered. Eyeballs, to a degree.
    Think I was 6th., heard Sean Lallys clinchers rattling on my right shoulder, distinctive sound, he pipped me on the line for 6/7 something like that.
    About 3 yds. out.

• Advertisement

8th. :o

hey mr. planet - i heard a sorrento got 1st in the vets cp today - as far as i could tell there was only 2 sorrento lads in the bunch - was that you?:cool:

Eh no. :D

Mate, Roy Bowden got it.

I pulled up after the Tiernans guy went over his bars on the second lap. I drifted, along with alot of people, to the other side of the road to avoid any collateral from his crash. I hit deep gravel, tried to "gently" steer out of it, and had my handlebars spin round. Had to stop twice to right them, and by then, the bunch was well away. Bars were loose enough for the rest of the race, went around mostly on my own.

Mate commented to me last week that "I seemed to be sitting up too high on the bike" and that I should "drop the bars a tad"
    Raised the saddle 3mm and dropped the bars 1cm. Don't ever mess with the bike days before the race. Not tightened enough obviously. Was gutted.

That's four races and two mechanicals. Not good. Was going well in the two I finished aswell.
    Ah well, next week.
    Going to put in alot of training this week.............and tighten the bars, maybe.

Thanks to Karl the mechanic at Fitz Cycles who sorted my "loose Bar" problem out. I had put the stem bolts on the opposite way round and they weren't tightening enough. I was tightening them but they weren't "gripping", hard to describe.
    Anyway, sorted.

Nice spin this morning on the "27lb. / 12+kg." hack bike :D. Doing intervals on that brings a tear to the eye.

Ah, the flat plains of Kildare.
    But the Curragh circuit is the hilliest on the Vets menu.

8:30. Arrived, myself and Roy Bowden. It's bloody freezing!!
    Out for a pee, shivering through the gorse looking for a quiet spot.
    It was so cold that I wore my Winter Castelli windproof jacket for the race.

Two years ago on this circuit, myself and Victorcarerra and about 5/6 others legged it before the first climb, Boston Hill, a four lap race, and we held out till about 3 miles from the end, until Paul Dolan and possee caught us and spoiled our day! :rolleyes:

Anyway, from the start, about a mile in, I thought that the pace was a "Sunday afternoon spin" pace so went to the front and put the hammer down, like I did 2 yrs, ago. Kept going and heard a few guys behind me. Shared pace, great I thought, that's more like it, otherwise the Whites would be on us on the first lap or so.

We went down a few back roads until we hit Boston Hill, not too long, not too steep, kept it in the big ring up the hill. Good, about 7 of us going. Threw a few glances back down the road......Green group split....into three bunches. Game plan. Up the hill and we kept going. Tullamore guy and myself got to the top on our own and went for it. First lap. Good. Break on. We're away from the small group.

Second lap and we're still holding on. Up Boston again. Glances back. About 200 metres to the chasers. They're not giving up. I have a good idea who'se driving the chasing bunch. ;)

Third lap:
    I start to crack on the next drag after Boston telling the Tullamore guy to head on. I'm not taking equal turns on the front but soon get a second wind, downhills, flats, I drive on but cannot hold the Tullamore guys wheel. I buckle and drop back to mix with the chasers, Sean Lally et al. I knew it! Sat at the back not working, couldn't. Dropped from that group of about 6, wasted. Came to the finish and pulled up.

Embarrassed I thought, because it's the first Vets race in 4 yrs. of racing with them that I hadn't finished a race. Not too bad actually, because it seems that about 20 odd didn't do the full circuit. Loads pulled out. Talking to a mate at the finish, up in the scratch group, he pulled out in the first lap!

Ah, Jasus, that was tough. Took a few days to recover. Rarely go on a breakaway. Hard enough.

Passenger who I bring to the races, who has joined the Vets this year, Roy Bowden, took 2nd. behind Paul Dolan. Club mate. Won a race at Batterstown a couple of weeks ago.

You were plenty strong on Sunday mr. Planet X, yourself and the Tullamore guy [he's actually very strong] were doing well to stay away as long as ye did in that bloody wind.

I finished out the 4 laps with the groups of mostly greens - when you had said to me you were going to pull out after 3 I was sorely tempted I can tell you - but stuck it out anyway for the last lap as there was a group going round. I was bloody ker-knackered after that race, one of the hardest I've ever done, that bloody wind was really hard.

That's handy:

Vets Weekend Two Day.

Starter: 3.2k (2 mile TT)

My first Vets June Bank Holiday 2 Day race.

Came tops in the Green group in the TT and, apparently, beat the everyone in the next group aswell, Whites, D's.
    5:35secs. / 1.98 miles.

;)

4 and a half years? Ah here......leave it out.
    New Years Revolutions n all that.

Kings Mountain 200 6th. Feb.
    Orwell 200 6th. March.
    Midlands Meander 23rd. April.

If this rain stops......I'll get out and give it a go.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Welcome back Planet X - going to resurrect your IVCA career?

I wouldn't race again.
    Considered joining the Leisure. Considered.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Welcome back Planet X - going to resurrect your IVCA career?

Tied up playing squash the last two years. Leinster League.
    Time consuming enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Kings Mountain 200 6th. Feb.
    Orwell 200 6th. March.
    Midlands Meander 23rd. April.

Might see you on a couple of these though can't see myself dragging my fat ass around 200k in the first week of feb. Thinking of the Ardattin as a gentle spring intro into audax.

Last week 185k. including today's 107k @21.7 mostly solo.
    First spin with old club in about 5 years. :)
    Back to Wicklow with POD and the boys. Nice roads. Nice n damp. Nice coffee break in Newtownmk.

Extending two commutes a week.

111k @21.2kph. Rolling 5:15.

Just the four of us led around scenic back roads of Wicklow by POD. He threw in three steep (5kph crawlers) hills for fun. Quite long and draining.
    With just four of us it was impossible to hide from that wind. Stopped in NewtownMK. again, as they do, and chilled with a Long Black and heated fruit scone.
    The spin back to Stillorgan then was excruciating with the head'ish wind on my tod.
    I'm a trifle fatigued. :)

O...o...o.... first spin on my Brooks C17 Cambium. Very good. Seem to have got the fitting almost spot on on Friday. Just a 3mm. tap to the left to centre it. Comfortable. Solid. Good sit bone support.

O...o...o. we passed Finnoula Britton with her partner out running. She was motoring. Very pleasing on the eye.

I almost hope Jean Byrne summons a big storm for next weekend cos I dread this 200k.

204k @22.8kph. Rolling 8:56.

Kicked off with Lastgasp and two others around 7am. Could've been earlier. Very pleasant morning, roads dry. If it had been raining when I got up I wouldn't have gone. Didn't want ten hours cycling wet.

So, we beat that and made our first enforced stop at Ballivor at about 65k. Big sausage sambo ...."with red sauce love".
    Rolled out only for one of the other guys to puncture. We stopped and between the 4 of us, we got it sorted in about 10.

Bunch of about 6 came up to us with about four PBP warriors. After dawdling for half an hour and chatting, the hammer dropped and the rain started. The route got rolling and a fair few were shelled.

We made it to Kells at about 125k for the next check/time stamp. Had a Coke, homemade sambo & banana but was hanging around getting cold so told the lads "I'd head" thinking they'd meet me down the road a mile or so.

Never saw them again somehow so.....did the next 80k. solo. Jeez.....that was hard. Route was lumpy as f... Kentstown had some ramps, "bottom gear on a triple steep"!
    Had rain and significant wind for a fair part of it. Met up a few Navan lads at about 180k. who were "Having a mechanical lads?"
    No, an "engine Problem". One of them had blown.

Counting off the 10k segments, counting, counting.
    Made two nav. errors in the run in. Minor, less than a k. I reckon.

Navan lads caught up with 5 to go. Hammer down Finglas Road. Home at 16:40 covered in muck from wheel suck.

Funny that, in reflection, in the last 80k flying solo, was only passed by two individuals.......got me to thinking that alot were trying to shortcut it?
    One of the guys who passed me, who I was with earlier, strong rider, came in about 5 minutes after me. Now, he passed me with about 30 to go and wasn't hanging around.

I'm happy with that.
    1:20am Sunday, can't sleep. Opened a bottle of Campo Viejo Rioja. :pac::pac:

Orwell Audax....March 6th.? Mothers Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Well done on ride, 80km solo into headwind to finish a 200km, especially in February.

Any notion of tackling a 300?

Need to do the Orwell and Midlands M. to get my head around 200's before I tackle a 3.

Need to do the Orwell and Midlands M. to get my head around 200's before I tackle a 3.

Any update on this...

I'll pressure on for a 300..:pac:

See how I get on in the Tara 200 this Sunday.
    I've no winter miles done so it's painful enough. Recovery slow enough.
    The wrong side of 50 doesn't help either.
    "Looking" at the Quiet Man or Iron Hills. Just window shopping 😊

• Advertisement

See how I get on in the Tara 200 this Sunday.
    I've no winter miles done so it's painful enough. Recovery slow enough.
    The wrong side of 50 doesn't help either.
    "Looking" at the Quiet Man or Iron Hills. Just window shopping 😊

If your Leinster based, Iron Hills would be more convenient but I'd imagine Quite Man would be less difficult and more rewarding. That terrain in Cavan/Meath is more difficult than in looks on paper I find

I rode a lot of those Quite Man roads roads last year, and was a regular visitor to Mayo in a different life, and that route is outstanding. A very experienced audax rider I occasionally ride with described it as best event on calendar.

Be sure to be in a group when heading south or west though:)

If you do 200's in winter/spring 300 shouldn't be much harder in summer. Just go a little slower

Met a really nice man from Derry last year who had done PBP in the 1980's(I think) but who was attempting it again last year after retiring. There are two 60 yr olds in Cork who always kick the sh1te out of me at 20 years younger.

Advertisement