Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

blue5000 wrote: »
    1 ton would do somewhere between 16-20 acres.

Thanks blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

How many units per acre/ha of sulphur do you normally use on cereals?

I'm using 30units/acre. Enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Dawggone wrote: »
    How many units per acre/ha of sulphur do you normally use on cereals?

I'm using 30units/acre. Enough?

Depends, do you use alot of muck(think you do?) or is there much background S in soil?
    Would be 3:1 on milling wheats for N:S unless top dressing would pull back a little. Some reckon going with approahing 2:1!!, like to talk about saving at one end to blow money at the other as have never seen a massive difference, small dose of Mg on 2nd last N split seems to help more here.
    Just realised not Kg/ha, works out just 37kg/ha? with some added muck at a decent rate wouldn't be too far off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Depends, do you use alot of muck(think you do?) or is there much background S in soil?
    Would be 3:1 on milling wheats for N:S unless top dressing would pull back a little. Some reckon going with approahing 2:1!!, like to talk about saving at one end to blow money at the other as have never seen a massive difference, small dose of Mg on 2nd last N split seems to help more here.
    Just realised not Kg/ha, works out just 37kg/ha? with some added muck at a decent rate wouldn't be too far off?

does muck have any benefit to sulphur?

does muck have any benefit to sulphur?

When i say muck i mean fym/dung.
    Where does the stuff that goes into the silage/cows go as not all gets used up? Breaks down slowly in heap, helps drive protein content in wheat :).
    Sulfur isn't stable though like p/k in soil and can be washed out like N, but if you'v good OM you get more back that gets released back from the 'sink' as OM breaks down/is in constant cycle

• Advertisement

Excellent thanks. On the same lines as you...great minds and all that!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

When i say muck i mean fym/dung.
    Where does the stuff that goes into the silage/cows go as not all gets used up? Breaks down slowly in heap, helps drive protein content in wheat :).
    Sulfur isn't stable though like p/k in soil and can be washed out like N, but if you'v good OM you get more back that gets released back from the 'sink' as OM breaks down/is in constant cycle

Brilliant synopsis
    very relevant to intensive grass production too

A discussion group member had leased a section if his farm to a big tillage operator here.
    All mintill
    says he ruined the soil by ploughing it over.
    The field was as level as a football pitch and the soil was as black as turf from all the straw and muck

Brilliant synopsis
    very relevant to intensive grass production too

A discussion group member had leased a section if his farm to a big tillage operator here.
    All mintill
    says he ruined the soil by ploughing it over.
    The field was as level as a football pitch and the soil was as black as turf from all the straw and muck

It's a little like over the last 30/40 years folk got used to using bags and cans of stuff and big new powerful machines to do work previous generations could only dream of. It's only now we're starting to wonder maybe they weren't so wrong in what they did previously, we can just refine it to make it more modern. Best crop farms are mixed farms and all that...

It's a little like over the last 30/40 years folk got used to using bags and cans of stuff and big new powerful machines to do work previous generations could only dream of. It's only now we're starting to wonder maybe they weren't so wrong in what they did previously, we can just refine it to make it more modern. Best crop farms are mixed farms and all that...

Absolutely. The old folk had to manage rotations etc because of the lack of chems and they had to respect the soil because they didn't have the options that we have as regards heavy metal battering the ground into submission.

As an aside I had 2 accountants here yesterday that do the books for over 95% of the farms in the area...seems I'm in the top 1% on yield and the top farm on margin...must be doing something right.
    There is always room to improve though...

As an aside I had 2 accountants here yesterday that do the books for over 95% of the farms in the area...seems I'm in the top 1% on yield and the top farm on margin...must be doing something right.
    There is always room to improve though...

Can't really say where we bench mark being honest, but we do get review every year and so far never had a problem, but we have a blackhole in the 'Misc' column...
    We work the cropping at max output but for a variety of reasons loose some ground, which we're slowly winning on. Then things like bigboss wants his ex-race horses paddocks topped and striped as has some friends coming for weekend so need to send off someone who isn't an idiot to do a neat job. Then things like when we go tidying up all the overgrown tree's/creeks/streams of willow as gone very over grown. Or the lawns of the main house were let up as wild flower meadow in early summer now wants topping we get called in wih the big tough gear. Even things like going up to move about gardeners heaps of compost every few months all adds up significantly. BUT this year running 2 accounts so will see exactly where we stand.

• Advertisement

Nice kit for mowing the lawn...:)

Nice kit for mowing the lawn...:)

We got alot of field margins and bridal ways and 6m grass strips by water ways and all that jazz, keeps someone buisy just ahead of combine and makes outside run alo faster as nothing to watch out for. 3m flail mower(kuhn) and 2m votex verge mower for drains/run beside will kill the 75 in thick stuff.

Bigboss has lots of foresty clearing to keep clear with the Kubota also, 48'' cutting deck and travels at 10k easy even in fairly thick stuff, have a rotary flail head about 40'' for small trees/ really thick stuff. Serious little mower about 38hp, but need low=loader or sides off ifor flatbed to get around... not always ideal.
    For an easy life best to keep boss happy.

Have had a very wet and cold spring here so far. Haven't gone on with any fungicide on wheat and I'm having concerns...
    Was thinking on going (when it dries up!) with epoxyconazole 1l/ha and chlorothanonil 1l/ha.
    Serious pressure has to be building even though it's not showing...yet.
    Would you consider adding a drop of prothioconazole?
    @Blackgrass.

Have had a very wet and cold spring here so far. Haven't gone on with any fungicide on wheat and I'm having concerns...
    Was thinking on going (when it dries up!) with epoxyconazole 1l/ha and chlorothanonil 1l/ha.
    Serious pressure has to be building even though it's not showing...yet.
    Would you consider adding a drop of prothioconazole?
    @Blackgrass.

Whats the weather for the next 10-14 days, do you mind spending some cash or prepared to be brave but have the fire brigade run on stand by? What growth stage ? Presume your near T1 stage?
    Wouldn't spend money unless at stem extension just protectant run maybe, honestly depends on where the crop is and weather over next 7-14 days s hot/dry will stop issues in a rut, strong ctl/azole mix would go with 2 do yo get Gleam/Brutus over there?

Whats the weather for the next 10-14 days, do you mind spending some cash or prepared to be brave but have the fire brigade run on stand by? What growth stage ? Presume your near T1 stage?
    Wouldn't spend money unless at stem extension just protectant run maybe, honestly depends on where the crop is and weather over next 7-14 days s hot/dry will stop issues in a rut, strong ctl/azole mix would go with 2 do yo get Gleam/Brutus over there?

Fire brigade is ready and running!!
    Forecast is shyte. More rain and cold. T1 should be on NOW.
    Thinking on the lines of strong ctl/azole...

Hard for me to justify Gleam TBH as a hard drought could leave me with 4-5t/ha.

Fire brigade is ready and running!!
    Forecast is shyte. More rain and cold. T1 should be on NOW.
    Thinking on the lines of strong ctl/azole...

Hard for me to justify Gleam TBH as a hard drought could leave me with 4-5t/ha.

In that situation I can't really help, come from a background.. of if u decide to plant. You've spent soooo much just can't lift you foot off throttle...
    Ctl/azole mix will give some curativity and decent control but if it is as bad as that maybe need to consider neighbours cheap programme from 2012 style approach as a little risky to go with expensive if you can be confident your clean?

On a note of droughts, this is a pic of the 1st field of Osr we did and is also on here as the quad was working it, but you can see to the line change in light to heavy moisture retentive soils. Should have maybe split field in half go a week previous on the hill and 3/4 days later on the bottom but ohhhh well.

In that situation I can't really help, come from a background.. of if u decide to plant. You've spent soooo much just can't lift you foot off throttle...
    Ctl/azole mix will give some curativity and decent control but if it is as bad as that maybe need to consider neighbours cheap programme from 2012 style approach as a little risky to go with expensive if you can be confident your clean?

On a note of droughts, this is a pic of the 1st field of Osr we did and is also on here as the quad was working it, but you can see to the line change in light to heavy moisture retentive soils. Should have maybe split field in half go a week previous on the hill and 3/4 days later on the bottom but ohhhh well.

Oh yes I used to throw the kitchen sink at crops but realised that merchants/chem companies were making more than me. :(
    Fair enough if you have potential for 12-13t/ha but now my ceiling would be 10t/ha so I spend according to what's in front of me iykwim.
    Wheat is visually clean enough but always 10-14 days behind with latent infection....

Can't view photos as on phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

Oh yes I used to throw the kitchen sink at crops but realised that merchants/chem companies were making more than me. :(
    Fair enough if you have potential for 12-13t/ha but now my ceiling would be 10t/ha so I spend according to what's in front of me iykwim.
    Wheat is visually clean enough but always 10-14 days behind with latent infection....

Can't view photos as on phone.

Do you ever grow a mix of varieties? Should need less inputs

conor t wrote: »
    Do you ever grow a mix of varieties? Should need less inputs

I used to mix 2row and 6row wbarley, more as as crow deterrent really.

Interestingly, most wheat world record crops were a mix of varieties....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

I used to mix 2row and 6row wbarley, more as as crow deterrent really.

Interestingly, most wheat world record crops were a mix of varieties....
    Don't know about the world records, but I think that a mix of unrelated varieties gives better disease resistance because they will each resist disease in a different way so the septoria that suits one variety will be different to the one on the next variety and will slow spread of disease. Plenty of trials show it in medium/low n grass swards but would it suit crops if your selling milling wheat/malting barley

• Advertisement

Anyone use liquid urea sprayed on (spray nozzles) when grain fill is underway?

@Blackgrass

Anyone use liquid urea sprayed on (spray nozzles) when grain fill is underway?

@Blackgrass

Liquid AN asap if anything over a week in grain fill?
    Reasoning i'd use with urea is at least another week before much n gets into crop so already lost there and last 2/3 weeks before senacence always feel crops done and it's just about piling all the 'stuff' into the grain ? vs actively producing more protein iykwim. If do use spray nozzels coarse as possible you know your self...

Liquid AN asap if anything over a week in grain fill?
    Reasoning i'd use with urea is at least another week before much n gets into crop so already lost there and last 2/3 weeks before senacence always feel crops done and it's just about piling all the 'stuff' into the grain ? vs actively producing more protein iykwim. If do use spray nozzels coarse as possible you know your self...

The reasoning on using spray nozzles with liquid urea is to get it absorbed through the leaf iykwim.
    I used AN with spray nozzles once...it was like using roundup.

Sooo, how many units/ha of urea to use?
    Also, my idea of timing the application would be at end of flowering. Right or wrong?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Many many moons ago when I was in a short pants and this was a mixed farm you set the grain and a spray for weeds shut the gate and the next time it was opened was to let in the combine. It's a very scientific process now and I wonder are you making any more out of it. Thinking about it dairying is gone the same road.

Many many moons ago when I was in a short pants and this was a mixed farm you set the grain and a spray for weeds shut the gate and the next time it was opened was to let in the combine. It's a very scientific process now and I wonder are you making any more out of it. Thinking about it dairying is gone the same road.

Yes Brown, and back then 20 acres of grain would buy you a new tractor...
    Where have we gone wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Yes Brown, and back then 20 acres of grain would buy you a new tractor...
    Where have we gone wrong?

A tonne of barley covered a weeks wages and rent was less than half a tonne per acre. Money was made by young men then who were first movers on adopting new methods.

A tonne of barley covered a weeks wages and rent was less than half a tonne per acre. Money was made by young men then who were first movers on adopting new methods.

Very true Free.
    The old lad was progressive back then.
    He was covering a good few acres with tramlines, trailed sprayer etc.

I would say it's more an attitude of trying new things rather than youth, most progressive guy i know is 63 owns a drill and a combine and one trailer gets contract/farmer to do his spraying fert work. Would walk his fields every few days to keep on top of things and is always available to give an opinion, as he's probably already seen it/tried it!
    That said my uncle likes to go on about the same as brown and he poor income and yet hasn't changed a thing in 30 years just the name on the can and variety used.Back those days you didnt need many cows to live comfortably either i bet?

The reasoning on using spray nozzles with liquid urea is to get it absorbed through the leaf iykwim.
    I used AN with spray nozzles once...it was like using roundup.

Sooo, how many units/ha of urea to use?
    Also, my idea of timing the application would be at end of flowering. Right or wrong?
    Thanks.

At the buisness end of season use spray nozzels at your own risk :D, yeah go after flowering as growth is pretty much done, how much have you used so far when was last app? used any snake oils to make yourself a little reassured?(little mg here) guess 30-40kg/ha is pretty standard for .5-1% prtein in theory :confused:

• Advertisement

I would say it's more an attitude of trying new things rather than youth, most progressive guy i know is 63 owns a drill and a combine and one trailer gets contract/farmer to do his spraying fert work. Would walk his fields every few days to keep on top of things and is always available to give an opinion, as he's probably already seen it/tried it!
    That said my uncle likes to go on about the same as brown and he poor income and yet hasn't changed a thing in 30 years just the name on the can and variety used.Back those days you didnt need many cows to live comfortably either i bet?

Yes, you're right, it's always a state of mind.
    However I think that, at the time, there were excellent prices for cereals, and there were breakthroughs in plant breeding/agrochemicals/mechinisation etc, and the progressive open minded individuals made good money on the up side of it.
    IT would be the equivalent today...easy money if you're good.

Advertisement