Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I dunno , I'm thinking neonicatenoids , or that cereal herbicide that still killed pasture and was active in slurry after cattle had eaten grain grown with it .
    I suppose I mean how do you test for something you don't know about ? And haven't even thought about the interactions yet ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Markcheese wrote: »
    I dunno , I'm thinking neonicatenoids , or that cereal herbicide that still killed pasture and was active in slurry after cattle had eaten grain grown with it .
    I suppose I mean how do you test for something you don't know about ? And haven't even thought about the interactions yet ..

To be fair. The story of neonics is now well known.. Just read back this thread, can think of much much nastier things needing rid of. What active lasts 6months on cereal? Only long lasting active I know of is propymazide at 6month half life.
    When I say used a new compound I mean they used something from a family known to have some effect on target species and results did not = what they expect which require more lab work. It'll be many hoops to jump through before even consider field trials...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

http://youtu.be/X59NW3CuXFg

What ye think of this dawg and black grass?

That's one of the great ideas that 'they' have been working on for while along with a system to pour neat chem into a container which is then dispersed in clean water along the spray line to save on cleaning tank etc but can't get to work. Do something similar when they use a 'N Sensor' for putting out N fert as variable rate on crops. Problem is as you see that sensor can only pick up larger plants so spray with round up while whole concept is get at seedling stage when easier to kill as need less dangerous to the crop chems to knock it on the head.
    Another thing is that is working on green crop like over here need a sensor that can differenciate different plants/ different reflections of green i guess? A smarter thing that seems to be more the way is an ultra powerful camera using recognition software seems to be more the way forward as the tech in Nsensor/ idea of using machine above needs bright sunlight to work well :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Blackgrass wrote: »
    That's one of the great ideas that 'they' have been working on for while along with a system to pour neat chem into a container which is then dispersed in clean water along the spray line to save on cleaning tank etc but can't get to work. Do something similar when they use a 'N Sensor' for putting out N fert as variable rate on crops. Problem is as you see that sensor can only pick up larger plants so spray with round up while whole concept is get at seedling stage when easier to kill as need less dangerous to the crop chems to knock it on the head.
    Another thing is that is working on green crop like over here need a sensor that can differenciate different plants/ different reflections of green i guess? A smarter thing that seems to be more the way is an ultra powerful camera using recognition software seems to be more the way forward as the tech in Nsensor/ idea of using machine above needs bright sunlight to work well :).

+1. The tech has a bit to go yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Be great for docks in grassland if it could differentiate between docks and grass.

So, here's a little early season crop farming work.
    Ground has been very dry this Feb here mostly, drainage work must be paying dividends.. Been pulling down some maize ground for local contractor to use up hours on crawler as going back end of March as 1,000hr limit we're only at 500 so extra cash in the bank as write hire costs off vs tax :D.
    Also readying some of our own land with Rexius leave no for 3 weeks then back to drilling.

Some power harrowing for contractor

Miscellanios stuffs
    Tried using some liquid Amonium Sulphate this spring, we baught solid fertiliser and used a neighbours melting plant an old stainless tanker to melt it down but this stuff is extremely corrosive much worse than normal liquid ferts.
    Then just general spraying off some cover crops that didn't die off and resulting cans how we crush them normal but have plans to mak a chamber with a hydraulic ram/press.

Edit* Neighbour trying out his new to him sprayer hit a soft patch, we're next door so were called to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Thx BG, love to see those pics, tiz a different world.

• Advertisement

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Thx BG, love to see those pics, tiz a different world.

No bother, bit like going milking cows in Nz as much as it's similar it's completely different..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Miscellanios stuffs
    Tried using some liquid Amonium Sulphate this spring, we baught solid fertiliser and used a neighbours melting plant an old stainless tanker to melt it down but this stuff is extremely corrosive much worse than normal liquid ferts.
    Then just general spraying off some cover crops that didn't die off and resulting cans how we crush them normal but have plans to mak a chamber with a hydraulic ram/press.

Edit* Neighbour trying out his new to him sprayer hit a soft patch, we're next door so were called to assist.

Its like playing farm simulator in your place id say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭visatorro

what are the tracks like to drive on the road blackgrass?

So, here's a little early season crop farming work.
    Ground has been very dry this Feb here mostly, drainage work must be paying dividends.. Been pulling down some maize ground for local contractor to use up hours on crawler as going back end of March as 1,000hr limit we're only at 500 so extra cash in the bank as write hire costs off vs tax :D.
    Also readying some of our own land with Rexius leave no for 3 weeks then back to drilling.

Jeez Blackgrass that's boys ground!
    Will that need a squib of glyphosate before drilling?
    What's going in there?

Miscellanios stuffs

Don't you find that the AN would scorch the crop???
    Or do you apply in the rain?
    AN is hard on machines...
    You guys have had a much better Feb than us here. I went with first split of fert on crops a fortnight ago...I reckon it's in the rivers by now with the flooding we've had....crops yellowing at an alarming rate.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Jeez Blackgrass that's boys ground!
    Will that need a squib of glyphosate before drilling?
    What's going in there?
    Didn't say it was ours(power harrowed field) , no been a nice year really going into a mix of beans/grass/Sbarley/maize on he tougher land will get some glyphosate maybe see what kind of flush we get...
    Never really get scorch tooo bad was An with S mixed in, didn't go with much just enough to get oin as no point in front loading if nothing there to use it next 10 days will see what we need. Milling wheats did get top dressed with dung bout month ago though..
    Its like playing farm simulator in your place id say?
    Not really when you do it for more than a few hours becomes a job same as anything, nice to get out from the yard/office/phonecalls for a few hours and give lads a break.
    visatorro wrote: »
    what are the tracks like to drive on the road blackgrass?
    Sometimes if turning tight can be slow about doing so, fairly wide so atleast slows cars down alo, likes to nod when get up to speed, take a wide turn in gates not too bad really..

Going with Cycocel on all wheat tomorrow.
    Going to add 1L/ha of Procloraz and a smidge of urea.

Crops that far forward with you?!
    Procloraz mainly for Septoria/ little bit of eye spot would that be a big problem or more so until get into April when dry heat rolls in onwards.
    I know you said had alot of rain and has been warm recently, with Sept any rain event over 8mm or i think 1mm hr also is enough to cause leaf splash-spred of disease as a guide :confused:.
    It's getting ridiculous over here 'agronimists' and i use that term VEEERY loosely as i prefer to call them theiving parasites recommending 6 applications on programmes under full service contracts. Oooh but it's to stop the disease from spreading they say, no fook off. A strong t1/2 and see what flowering brings and in a very high year maybe a t1.5 not this T0,.5,1,1.5,2,3,4 **** is just rocketing us to end game some fools pushing more product to keep profits up need a very hard kick up the hole. Farmers are even worse for listening.
    2012 showed alot of things, sometimes there's not much can do, don't worry til stem extension as right dry week can stop pressure in it's track.
    Rant/ far to early to be up :mad:

Crops that far forward with you?!
    Procloraz mainly for Septoria/ little bit of eye spot would that be a big problem or more so until get into April when dry heat rolls in onwards.
    I know you said had alot of rain and has been warm recently, with Sept any rain event over 8mm or i think 1mm hr also is enough to cause leaf splash-spred of disease as a guide :confused:.
    It's getting ridiculous over here 'agronimists' and i use that term VEEERY loosely as i prefer to call them theiving parasites recommending 6 applications on programmes under full service contracts. Oooh but it's to stop the disease from spreading they say, no fook off. A strong t1/2 and see what flowering brings and in a very high year maybe a t1.5 not this T0,.5,1,1.5,2,3,4 **** is just rocketing us to end game some fools pushing more product to keep profits up need a very hard kick up the hole. Farmers are even worse for listening.
    2012 showed alot of things, sometimes there's not much can do, don't worry til stem extension as right dry week can stop pressure in it's track.
    Rant/ far to early to be up :mad:

Yes wheat is at perfect time for CCC.
    I'm a small bit concerned about night time temps because it drops to 1 or 2 degrees...but daytime temps are 16 to 18.
    The procloraz is for eyespot...septoria not an issue as can easily control with older chemistry like epoxyiconazole/Chlorothanonil mix. Warm climate makes life sooo much easier with septoria.
    Same issues here with "agronomists" recommending a minimum of 3 SDHI/azole/chloro mixes. Pure madness!

In the good old days I was able to control septo with Baleton CF and Mancozeb every 10/12 days....still works because an old neighbour reverted back to it in '12.
    I know it's not practical nowadays but just goes to show...

While I can control septo with epoxy at €16/litre I will continue to do so...

Yes wheat is at perfect time for CCC.
    I'm a small bit concerned about night time temps because it drops to 1 or 2 degrees...but daytime temps are 16 to 18.
    The procloraz is for eyespot...septoria not an issue as can easily control with older chemistry like epoxyiconazole/Chlorothanonil mix. Warm climate makes life sooo much easier with septoria.
    Same issues here with "agronomists" recommending a minimum of 3 SDHI/azole/chloro mixes. Pure madness!

In the good old days I was able to control septo with Baleton CF and Mancozeb every 10/12 days....still works because an old neighbour reverted back to it in '12.
    I know it's not practical nowadays but just goes to show...

While I can control septo with epoxy at €16/litre I will continue to do so...
    Will be triazole/sdhi/ctl for t1/2 in theory really just mix and match to need. Prothioconazole has about only action on ear-blight really but last year went for some rusts in milling crops. Ctl every 10 days IF you can is good, but thats a big if iykwim.. In 2012 crops were spotless then 3 weeks were terrible, last year early season was filthy turned out best yields in 4 years.. play by whats in front of you not what someone in an office says. Correct timings is best investment over most efficient sprayer cost/ rolls royce crop protection, ie if can't do it all yourself get contractor/ independent agronomo.

Eye spot, ploughed 2nd wheats?
    Was fairly wet in Jan iirc you saying..

• Advertisement

Will be triazole/sdhi/ctl for t1/2 in theory really just mix and match to need. Prothioconazole has about only action on ear-blight really but last year went for some rusts in milling crops. Ctl every 10 days IF you can is good, but thats a big if iykwim.. In 2012 crops were spotless then 3 weeks were terrible, last year early season was filthy turned out best yields in 4 years.. play by whats in front of you not what someone in an office says. Correct timings is best investment over most efficient sprayer cost/ rolls royce crop protection, ie if can't do it all yourself get contractor/ independent agronomo.

Eye spot, ploughed 2nd wheats?
    Was fairly wet in Jan iirc you saying..

Yep. Eyespot. Helluva lot of rain here in Feb.
    "Play by what's in front of you" was always my motto. Plus some sound independant advice...
    Prothioconazole is a pricey product to have to use for the ear disease complex. Methconazole/tebuncazole/procloraz mix does fine here but I wouldn't have anything like the pressure you would have.
    Getting the timing right is vital but weather etc must play ball...

Yep. Eyespot. Helluva lot of rain here in Feb.
    "Play by what's in front of you" was always my motto. Plus some sound independant advice...
    Prothioconazole is a pricey product to have to use for the ear disease complex. Methconazole/tebuncazole/procloraz mix does fine here but I wouldn't have anything like the pressure you would have.
    Getting the timing right is vital but weather etc must play ball...

Would ctl/mancoazeb/ coverage protectants be enough there?! We're half hamstrung by being limited to t1-3 as prob wouldn't travel consistently but have got spray team kitted out to pretty much max output we can get now. But winds of change are constantly blowing and due to some big changes coming down the line will go 2 lighter vs 1 mega output. Never really used much in way of strobs or older active on wheat tbh, little you and naive i suppose to read too much into some stuffs.
    What sort of n:s ratios would ye push on milling wheats? i know use of muck muddies the waters

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody get quotes for seed barley yet? Have a bit of propino ordered at 490.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anybody get quotes for seed barley yet? Have a bit of propino ordered at 490.

How many acres does that do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Bullocks wrote: »

I thought Kovu cleared all of this up last week. I think a bit is around two heaps which is several fcuk loads. I don't remember how many fcuk loads to the hectacre the seed rate is but I bet you someone has a link to a Teagasc pdf brochure/table. Once you have that you'll be able to work out how many acres it'll cover. Anyone know how many acres in a hectacre? Save Bullocks having to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I thought Kovu cleared all of this up last week. I think a bit is around two heaps which is several fcuk loads. I don't remember how many fcuk loads to the hectacre the seed rate is but I bet you someone has a link to a Teagasc pdf brochure/table. Once you have that you'll be able to work out how many acres it'll cover. Anyone know how many acres in a hectacre? Save Bullocks having to look it up.

Must've been absent that day freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Is it stones per acre or kg's per ha or lbs per sq yard or is it seeds per sq/mt.:confused: I think I'll stick with the cows, less confusing. They're giving fcuk loads of milk.

Is it stones per acre or kg's per ha or lbs per sq yard or is it seeds per sq/mt.:confused: I think I'll stick with the cows, less confusing. They're giving fcuk loads of milk.

Seeds sq/mt = target popukation

Seeds sq/mt = target popukation

I would usually go with about 330 seeds/sq meter in sbarley.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bullocks wrote: »
    1 ton would do somewhere between 16-20 acres.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement