Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Blackgrass wrote: »
    What does your neighbours plan to do? any else in same situation surely a few?
    It's a bloody mess when already so far down the hole cost wise, welcome to BG farming. Would the seed surely hold to next winter just up rate a little but 1k is it short supply or profiteering :mad:?
    All done anyway, wouldn't call only an emergency 90% was grand but some of it is 'for blending on to a boat'.

I think the weather has put the kibosh on replanting. Seven inches of rain in the last few days. So, more spring cropping...maize,sunflowers, soya and maybe some hemp if I can get the permit.

Do you know of anybody that wants to live the good life across the Channel?
    There is a vacancy for a top tillage man available. Will be able to hire his own team etc.
    Four nice houses to chose from... good perks...profit share...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is the hemp for fiber or for oil? Have you grown it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How hard is it to get a permit? Is it linked to having a market for it -? Cheap to grow ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It's for fibre. Grown under contract.
    Excellent break crop.

Markcheese wrote: »
    How hard is it to get a permit? Is it linked to having a market for it -? Cheap to grow ?

Permit is from the Police for obvious reasons...

Cheap as chips to grow. Little bit of fym and that's it. No herbicide as it chokes out everything underneath. Marijuana is know as weed, because it is a weed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Soo how are the buds on them? Many happy employees? Ha.

How many years roughly would a field be good for after a brake crop? Or would you just judge from soil tests or weed infestation?

Soo how are the buds on them? Many happy employees? Ha.

How many years roughly would a field be good for after a brake crop? Or would you just judge from soil tests or weed infestation?

No bang from it I'm afraid. The THC has been bred out of it.
    A break is just that...like a root crop would be break from white strawed cropping.
    Google crop rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Dawggone wrote: »
    I think the weather has put the kibosh on replanting. Seven inches of rain in the last few days. So, more spring cropping...maize,sunflowers, soya and maybe some hemp if I can get the permit.

Do you know of anybody that wants to live the good life across the Channel?
    There is a vacancy for a top tillage man available. Will be able to hire his own team etc.
    Four nice houses to chose from... good perks...profit share...

Bugger that then, at least irrigation ponds are filling.

Can think of 2 straight off. One is the worker of someone I already spoke of as they clash a lot as one is farm manager but other wants to learn to manage but personality types cause friction so no go.. Arable foreman? Role would suit but unfortunately very much so not my place to say iykwim.
    Another is young guy I know in very round about way through family but not enough milage to run more so decent worker.
    Plenty of good guys if advertise in uk problem is that channel is more like the Pacific so might be a factor for alot?
    So if you can make sense of that mumbling I can't help much in finding main man so to speak :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

No bang from it I'm afraid. The THC has been bred out of it.
    A break is just that...like a root crop would be break from white strawed cropping.
    Google crop rotation.

any problems with trespassers going for a gander?

Cops keep a good eye on it at planting in case someone plants the "real" stuff in with it.

• Advertisement

Have an image of some one standing outside a field wih a strong cork accent now, 'howya boiii, wanna buy some weed i got bloody hectares of the shtuff' :pac:

Have an image of some one standing outside a field wih a strong cork accent now, 'howya boiii, wanna buy some weed i got bloody hectares of the shtuff' :pac:

Lol.
    So Corkmen are all dealers!!

Lol.
    So Corkmen are all dealers!!

Well, I'm fairly 100% positive any cork men growing 'hemp' are, yes. The French cork men are a different case though ;)

I would be aware of the badger problems out there. I was in Dorset buying a maize header in '91 and the crops were uprooted like wild boar had been in, and no controls...

Do you think that land owners are ready for the "roving" herds idea?
    If so it could present good opportunities to enterprising individuals.

Have root crop yields plateaued, or are they on the decline?
    Or are weed build up/resistance an issue?

It's bad and with muppets like Brian May around won't be sorted just soooo bloody typical Uk. People who know bugger all of the finer workings believe they have the key and those on the ground are ignorant gun wielding barbarians.
    Some are, i know of arable farmers who'd like to grass down some of their land but are frankly unskilled and un willing to do it them selves. Would be some issues with housing but if both parties can agree not too big an issue.

They're a victim of their own success in that beet grows well there, they grew alot of it and now just aren't getting returns to level of imput like before as beet industry is based in such a small area. Like us with osr. One of the agronomo's is mates with our guy and he was around one day we were chatting, it's not one problem but many little issues contributing robbing yield on some fields/blocks would suit to be grassed for 5 + years.

New crop wheat today. €181/ton

Barley €159.

Big price differential there...

New crop wheat today. €181/ton

Barley €159.

Big price differential there...

Or in other words, 40% price change in 4 months.
    And some folk think they have price volatility :rolleyes:.

Or in other words, 40% price change in 4 months.
    And some folk think they have price volatility :rolleyes:.

I know....I know...
    Lol. :)

Walked a lot of land today and I have to say wheat looks good enough.

I'm experimenting with cover crops....can anyone identify what's in the mix?
    This was burned off over a fortnight ago.

Irrigation lakes full...:)

• Advertisement

Can anyone identify this..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm experimenting with cover crops....can anyone identify what's in the mix?
    This was burned off over a fortnight ago.

Tillage radish and something else? Looks similar to it anyhow!

Kovu wrote: »
    Tillage radish and something else? Looks similar to it anyhow!

Very good.
    Yes it's radish, black oats and phacelia(sp?) on the left.
    Straight phacelia on the right.

Can anyone identify this..?

Looks similar but heads abit 'loose' for trit.
    More like rye

Looks similar but heads abit 'loose' for trit.
    More like rye

Bang on.
    Local artisan baker approached me to grow rye as a cover/crop and if good enough, harvest it.

He lost interest about the same time as I did which is unfortunate because there is quite a bit of grain on the floor.

Bang on.
    Local artisan baker approached me to grow rye as a cover/crop and if good enough, harvest it.

He lost interest about the same time as I did which is unfortunate because there is quite a bit of grain on the floor.

Is rye easily got rid of?
    As neighbour who likes these things says, about all the fancy mixes...
    Keep it simple stupid, deep big roots and some surface vegetation is all you want but dear god don't go giving yourself weed issues...!

Hmm, try pull a set of discs or k tines over to get a chit? new burst of growth, would have been nice to get an unexpected crop :D. No market over herereally other than Ryvita and Velcourt has that tied up amoung farms and no merchant brave enough to look into it.
    Although ad plants seem to like it

Is rye easily got rid of?
    As neighbour who likes these things says, about all the fancy mixes...
    Keep it simple stupid, deep big roots and some surface vegetation is all you want but dear god don't go giving yourself weed issues...!

Hmm, try pull a set of discs or k tines over to get a chit? new burst of growth, would have been nice to get an unexpected crop :D. No market over herereally other than Ryvita and Velcourt has that tied up amoung farms and no merchant brave enough to look into it.
    Although ad plants seem to like it

I've no idea whatsoever about Rye tbh.
    I would hate to think that I've organised 7yrs weed for myself!!
    Any grains that have fallen seem to be chitting...
    You can be lucky and get the second crop harvested here. Got mustard harvested last year and left a nice few quid. Frost is the problem. If we don't get frost you can get some crops harvested but grass weeds also produce in those conditions...:(

I've no idea whatsoever about Rye tbh.
    I would hate to think that I've organised 7yrs weed for myself!!
    Any grains that have fallen seem to be chitting...
    You can be lucky and get the second crop harvested here. Got mustard harvested last year and left a nice few quid. Frost is the problem. If we don't get frost you can get some crops harvested but grass weeds also produce in those conditions...:(

I guess it more so if following with a cereal is only issue..?
    It's just my neighbour got really burned with 'one of those' mixes that dies out in frost over winter... Didn't pay enough attention and... for a few years.
    Is Rye grasses becoming an issue over there?

I guess it more so if following with a cereal is only issue..?
    It's just my neighbour got really burned with 'one of those' mixes that dies out in frost over winter... Didn't pay enough attention and... for a few years.
    Is Rye grasses becoming an issue over there?

There is a huge problem with ryegrass here and in the Paris Basin. Now having to go 3x Axial to control....can't be long before resistance kicks in...

• Advertisement

There is a huge problem with ryegrass here and in the Paris Basin. Now having to go 3x Axial to control....can't be long before resistance kicks in...

OOh. :eek:
    Will you be going down ALS route as seems ACC is 'in trouble', bloody expensive!
    We pretty much have to nuke everything so don't have Rye grass but some folk on boys ground finding issues

Advertisement