Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homer J. Fong IS The Walrus - Grand Reveal!

Comments

An up-and-coming young buck from Detroit and a little known lady from Barbados up now. Yompson Hamoondancer gets 14th place and 4 points for Eminem feat. Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie

Pre-listening notes:
    Eminem? Meh. I like Stan and Lose Yourself, they show that he can clearly write some good tunes when he feels like it. So much of his stuff is just really puerile and nasty though. Rihanna is one of the luckiest people in the music world, her team of songwriters, stylists and publicists have made her a far bigger popstar than she deserves with what is, quite frankly, a fairly unpleasant voice. I’m not full of optimism.

Listening notes:
    Rihanna’s nasal warbling kicks us off, hopefully she’ll be confined to the chorus and won’t pop up to bother us in the verses as well. Eminem does his part fairly well I guess, some of the lyrics are quite powerful (although “Now you get to watch her leave out the window, Guess that's why they call it window pane” is a bit cringe). Putting aside my dislike of her voice, Rihanna is someone who sadly has experienced domestic violence so I imagine she is the right person to sing on this track in that regard. Still find her very hard to listen to though.

Verdict:
    Not really my genre but I can appreciate the work that went into this, and admire that it deals with a very serious in a manner that’s both cutting and respectful. Originally I thought this would be bottom of my list but overall it’s a actually probably better song than I had given it credit for. Still not something I’d listen to out of choice, mind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

An up-and-coming young buck from Detroit and a little known lady from Barbados up now. Yompson Hamoondancer gets 14th place and 4 points for Eminem feat. Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie

Pre-listening notes:
    Eminem? Meh. I like Stan and Lose Yourself, they show that he can clearly write some good tunes when he feels like it. So much of his stuff is just really puerile and nasty though. Rihanna is one of the luckiest people in the music world, her team of songwriters, stylists and publicists have made her a far bigger popstar than she deserves with what is, quite frankly, a fairly unpleasant voice. I’m not full of optimism.

Listening notes:
    Rihanna’s nasal warbling kicks us off, hopefully she’ll be confined to the chorus and won’t pop up to bother us in the verses as well. Eminem does his part fairly well I guess, some of the lyrics are quite powerful (although “Now you get to watch her leave out the window, Guess that's why they call it window pane” is a bit cringe). Putting aside my dislike of her voice, Rihanna is someone who sadly has experienced domestic violence so I imagine she is the right person to sing on this track in that regard. Still find her very hard to listen to though.

Verdict:
    Not really my genre but I can appreciate the work that went into this, and admire that it deals with a very serious in a manner that’s both cutting and respectful. Originally I thought this would be bottom of my list but overall it’s a actually probably better song than I had given it credit for. Still not something I’d listen to out of choice, mind you!

I like this alright but If you are going to pick an eminem song featuring a pop diva, the only one is Walk on Water, IMO of course

Sometimes Walrus brings about an internal conflict, when presented with an entry where the head says "oh gosh, really? You couldn't possibly give this such a high score" but the heart just says "FÚCKIN' CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!"

The heart won out this time - Lolliclarke crashes into 4th place and bags 14 points for Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX - I Love It

Pre-listening notes:
    Heh, someone definitely got the “you’re from the 70’s but I’m a 90’s bitch” reference from the previous round’s title! This song is on my running playlist so I’m well familiar.

Listening notes:
    Immediately sucks you in, this tune. The vocals are more shouty than singing but they fit in well with the overall atmosphere of the song. The lyrics are silly but hilarious “I threw your shít into a bag and pushed it down the stairs, I crashed my car into the bridge, I don’t care, I love it!” I mean this is just joyfully silly, dance-around-and-go-mad pop. And there’ll always be a place for that kind of music among all the more serious/downbeat stuff.

Verdict:
    I wouldn’t say this is the kind of thing I’m usually into and my inner music snob is rolling his eyes at the high score it’s gonna get, but fúck it – I DON’T CARE, I LOVE IT! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Sometimes Walrus brings about an internal conflict, when presented with an entry where the head says "oh gosh, really? You couldn't possibly give this such a high score" but the heart just says "FÚCKIN' CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!"

The heart won out this time - Lolliclarke crashes into 4th place and bags 14 points for Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX - I Love It

Pre-listening notes:
    Heh, someone definitely got the “you’re from the 70’s but I’m a 90’s bitch” reference from the previous round’s title! This song is on my running playlist so I’m well familiar.

Listening notes:
    Immediately sucks you in, this tune. The vocals are more shouty than singing but they fit in well with the overall atmosphere of the song. The lyrics are silly but hilarious “I threw your shít into a bag and pushed it down the stairs, I crashed my car into the bridge, I don’t care, I love it!” I mean this is just joyfully silly, dance-around-and-go-mad pop. And there’ll always be a place for that kind of music among all the more serious/downbeat stuff.

Verdict:
    I wouldn’t say this is the kind of thing I’m usually into and my inner music snob is rolling his eyes at the high score it’s gonna get, but fúck it – I DON’T CARE, I LOVE IT! :p

Damn, you pretty much handed that to us and only one person was smart enough to pick it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I know that song, hard not to have it heard it.

But i didn’t get the reference, don’t know it that well!

So we're at our top and bottom 3; some names have been here before, for others it's uncharted territory. Left to reveal are:

Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin (10th, 2nd, 4th)
    Fanghoward (6th, 8th, 6th)
    Kingolas (1st, 13th, 5th)
    Marflutter (13th, 1st, 2nd)
    Marshallazora Satanwest (15th, 10th, 10th)
    Palka Stephenflame (4th, 6th, 8th)

Numbers in brackets are where they finished (out of 17) in the first three rounds.

*Marflutter and Kingolas have both been previous round champions - will one of them take home a second victory?

*Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin was neck and neck with Marflutter in the overall lead before this round - will these two continue the momentum or will one (or both) trip up?

*Fanghoward and Palka Stephenflame are the only two players to have gotten at least 10 points in each round thus far - will they both keep up that streak or not?

Let us go to the third last place entry now.....

zL493ugUWDim.gif

Oh, no! Disaster for Divorce Referendum Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin as they turn in the opposite direction and simply run off the course.

15th place and 3 points for Dua Lipa - Be The One

Pre-listening notes:
    I know that song New Rules, that’s about it. Clearly I’m not as up to date on these cool new artists as our submitter.

Listening notes:
    Fairly standard pop intro. Decent voice, quite deep. It’s plodding along without much exciting happening though. Lyrics are kinda silly, “I see the moon when you’re looking at the sun” – well he shouldn’t be looking at the sun, that’s bad for your eyes! Nothing really remarkable about this, sounds like a million other songs that have been written before.

Verdict:
    It’s not terrible but it all feels a bit perfunctory, like this song was specifically written to be an adequate filler song rather than a memorable hit. Actually has kind of a Eurovision feel to it, has that kind of Europop sound to it. But ultimately this isn’t doing enough for me to score it any higher or seek to play it again. She can definitely sing but hopefully has better songs in her arsenal than this.

Kingolas ensures that they stay in the race for the title as they get 15 points and 3rd place for Overhead The Albatross - Big River Man

Pre-listening notes:
    Another case of “I’ve heard the name but have never listened to them”. Didn’t realise they were Irish.

Listening notes:
    Loud crashing drums to introduce us, not taking long to get going, mellowing out a little at around 50 seconds and the bass is kicking in, all nice thus far….if there are to be vocals I hope the voice is good, am enjoying the music and don’t want to mark down….wait maybe this is an instrumental? It’s rattling along nicely, some violins now help switch it up a bit…..mind started wandering, was a little bored but the strings and slower tempo at the 4:50-ish mark have brought me back in. Ok this is a really nice ending, we even get some choral “ohs” so it’s not entirely instrumental, they blend in nicely though! Some lovely ingredients in this, leaves you feeling a bit stuffed by the end though.

Verdict:
    It’s good but quite long, loses me a little in the middle but the final two minutes or so are lovely. I think I’d get more out of it seeing it in a live setting rather than listening at home but am certainly willing to give it more time and check out the rest of their work.

I fear Marshallazora Satanwest won't want to be my friend after this Walrus. :( 16th place and 2 points for Daft Punk - Derezzed

...hey, there's still the Joker round, right? :o

Note: I started listening to all the tracks on Spotify this time around, rather than Youtube, and the Spotify version is only 1:44 (I say "only"...) The longer version on Youtube is 4:11 so I listened to that afterwards as well to get the full picture.

Pre-listening notes:
    Always been a bit “meh” about Daft Punk. Don’t see the big fuss. Will this be the one to convert me?

Listening notes:
    Part 1 - Spotify
    1:44 ? Jaysus, this is gonna be a quick one. Ok so it’s sounding suitably Daft Punky, sounds pretty much like they were doing in the ‘90’s…….actually maybe 1:44 is enough, amazingly it’s actually dragging on a bit.

Part 2 - Youtube
    I’ve found the “extended” mix on Youtube. It’s a bit more interesting in a way I guess, there are more glitches and stuff if you like that thing. Nothing to make me rank it any higher than it already is though. Ultimately it just feels like background noise.

Verdict:
    Meh. It wasn’t wholly unlistenable but I’m not pushed about ever hearing it again. Maybe if I'd seen Tron I'd appreciate it more but even the 1:44 version seemed like a bit of a slog.

• Advertisement

It's a hugely impressive third consecutive Top Two finish for Marflutter - do they already have one hand on the (hypothetical) Walrus trophy? (Please note that there is no actual trophy, I cannot stress that enough!)

2nd place and 16 points for Cate Le Bon - Are You With Me Now

Pre-listening notes:
    I saw Cate Le Bon as a support act at a concert, she was grand but I wasn’t in a mad rush to go check out her back catalogue or anything.

Listening notes:
    Quite an unusual voice, she’s Welsh right? You can really hear the accent in certain parts. This is a very pretty song, background instrumentation jangles along nicely. But there’s an air of sadness to it too. Kind of an old-fashioned sound to it strangely, could almost be a lost recording from the Sixties! Nice video too, kinda makes me want a cigarette though. :o

Verdict:
    This is a very nice tune. I’m surprised at how much I enjoyed this given I wasn’t really blown away by seeing her live (in fairness, it was only a support slot, quite early in the day and with a small crowd; maybe I’d have enjoyed her much more with a larger crowd in a more intimate venue). This makes me want to listen to the parent album. Very nicely done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I really like that Dua Lipa song

Oh Palka Stephenflame, it was going pretty well up to now wasn't it? And then this happened. :(

One point and 17th place for Gamper & Dadoni feat Daniel Ahearn - Close to You

Pre-listening notes:
    Gamper & Dadoni sounds like a wonderful Italian restaurant but I’m unfamiliar with their musical output.

Listening notes:
    What even is this? It’s primarily a dancey track I guess (but also not really) with some really naff saxophone throughout (sax has to be either done well or not done at all – the latter would have been preferable in this case). There’s also some.....plinky plonky stuff, marimba or xylophone or something like that? That bit’s alright actually. That’s about the highlight. Piano is unremarkable, guitars are cheesy, vocals are bland. I’m sorry, this just isn’t my thing at all.

Verdict:
    Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Oh Palka Stephenflame, it was going pretty well up to now wasn't it? And then this happened. :(

One point and 17th place for Gamper & Dadoni feat Daniel Ahearn - Close to You

Pre-listening notes:
    Gamper & Dadoni sounds like a wonderful Italian restaurant but I’m unfamiliar with their musical output.

Listening notes:
    What even is this? It’s primarily a dancey track I guess (but also not really) with some really naff saxophone throughout (sax has to be either done well or not done at all – the latter would have been preferable in this case). There’s also some.....plinky plonky stuff, marimba or xylophone or something like that? That bit’s alright actually. That’s about the highlight. Piano is unremarkable, guitars are cheesy, vocals are bland. I’m sorry, this just isn’t my thing at all.

Verdict:
    Absolutely not.

I love this song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Green&Red wrote: »
    I love this song

It has a vibe of something else about - kind of Air Supply ish

Which means......tonight's winner (who will have Marflutter looking nervously over their shoulder) is Fanghoward who gets 17 points for Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You)

Pre-listening notes:
    This is one of the few songs in this category I do know but it's been a while since I've spun it. Remember the big hype about Future Islands a few years ago and I checked out their album Singles, it was definitely good if a little bit repetitive perhaps. He’s got a very distinctive voice anyway.

Listening notes:
    Those introductory synths are beautiful, sounds you could just melt into (if that makes any sense at all?) Bass and keyboards kick in and take it up a gear. And then that dulcet baritone arrives. This has all the ingredients of a great song, and they all blend well to produce something that will be very difficult to beat in this round.

Verdict:
    This is a great song, one I listened to quite a bit when it came out but that had fallen off my radar a bit in recent years. I’m glad it’s been brought back into my life, so thank you very much for re-introducing me! When I have time I must revisit Singles and check out their other stuff.

• Advertisement

So here's the table with one round to go. It's Marflutter's game to lose but Fanghoward, Kingolas and Helraham Jamesorty are all in with a fighting chance. Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin still has an outside chance of winning, though it would require both an epic comeback and some heavy slip-ups in the final round.

At the bottom of the table, Marshallazora Satanwest is 4 points adrift of the pack but the wooden spoon is far from decided yet!

Rank # Alias Colours Score Love Score 90's Score 10's Score Joker Score Total Score
    1 Marflutter 5 17 16 16 54
    2 Fanghoward 12 10 12 17 51
    3 Kingolas 17 5 13 15 50
    4 Helraham Jamesorty 6 14 17 13 50
    5 Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin 8 16 14 3 41
    6 Harmony Cullran 7 15 9 7 38
    7 Palka Stephenflame 14 12 10 1 37
    8 Mediphira 9 11 4 12 36
    9 Yompson Hamoondancer 1 13 15 4 33
    10 Yollins Roseverse 10 9 5 8 32
    11 Hayesshine 16 3 6 6 31
    12 Jameslon Barspell 15 4 1 9 29
    13 Lolliclarke 2 2 11 14 29
    14 Aleshark 4 7 7 11 29
    15 Rosparkle 13 1 2 10 26
    16 Spencerpop 11 6 3 5 25
    17 Marshallazora Satanwest 3 8 8 2 21

And here's tonight's playlist; as I mentioned in the discussion, the version of Daft Punk's Derezzed is only 1:44 for whatever reason, and the extended Mix of Rabbit Hole isn't on there so you'll have to make do with the regular version, a paltry 3:09 (sorry Spencerpop!)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/57Yagplss6gRrXXRxlO0Ku

Hope you're still enjoying the Reveal, and that I haven't offended anybody too much with the scoring! :p Probably won't get around to wrapping up until the weekend but I look forward to finally getting answers as to who's who as much as I do listening to your Jokers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭tusk

Gg Homer. Just caught up.

Loving this walrus so far. Hopefully I can keep a fairly safe score for the last round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

It will be interesting to see how the Joker round goes. My "safe" options didn't go down well and my more riskier ones did :D

I should of just went with all of my favourites instead of hedging my bets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Really enjoyed that round Homer more than I expected - congrats to Fanghoward :) on the top spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I don't know what to think re my chances in the last round, some things went better than expected for me some less well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Good reveal Homer

That verdict on the sax dance song gave me a chuckle :D

Joker round should be interesting given its a blank slate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Really not too confident of my Joker, its definitely a bit of an acquired taste :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I didn't know a single one of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Some great songs in this round! Highlights for me would be...
    Once again, it's a fairly "niche" submission that ends up as our middle score tonight. But it's a big improvement from the last round for Jameslon Barspell, who gets 9 points and 9th place for In This Moment - Roots

Love this. Find of the round for me for sure. Definitely my cup of tea.
    Another player getting their highest score to date is Mediphira, who wins 6th place and 12 points for machineheart - Altar

This Mediphira character (whoever they are ;)) clearly has great taste in music. machineheart are probably the best music find of the decade for me as I only discovered them because they retweeted a tweet I had written about a new Paramore single a few years back, so decided to check them out. Been a fan ever since.
    Helraham Jamesorty gives me a song whose title pretty much describes me at any given point of time - The Staves - Tired as Fúck wins 5th place and 13 points.

Really great song. Good shout whoever nominated it. Must check out some more of The Staves now, think they're a band I would enjoy based on this one. I also love the simplicity of the video.
    Oh, no! Disaster for Divorce Referendum Countess Bathrobinson Bailecoffin as they turn in the opposite direction and simply run off the course.

15th place and 3 points for Dua Lipa - Be The One

Homer made a big mistake on this one. Should've been in the Top 5 not the bottom 3. Really catchy.
    It's a hugely impressive third consecutive Top Two finish for Marflutter - do they already have one hand on the (hypothetical) Walrus trophy? (Please note that there is no actual trophy, I cannot stress that enough!)

2nd place and 16 points for Cate Le Bon - Are You With Me Now

This sounds somewhat familiar, and the name rings a bell too. Nice song, will definitely be throwing it on a couple of playlists.

Great job as always Homer. Looking forward to the final reveal!

osh wrote: »

Joker round should be interesting given its a blank slate

Not gonna lie, I am kinda tempted to just toss out the previous 4 rounds and just judge it all on the Jokers! :p But you'd all kill me, tusk especially.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    I didn't know a single one of them :(

Part of the joys of Walrus, finding new things! I'd like to think I'm pretty good at keeping up with new music but I only knew 4 of these songs (Seasons, I Love It, You Should See Me In a Crown and Chandelier), 4 and a half as I'd heard the chorus of Love The Way You Lie but didn't know the full song.

Some were artists I'd heard of but never listened to, and others were artists I'd never even heard of before; machineheart, In This Moment, Camel Phat and Gamper & Dadoni were all completely new names to me.
    Some great songs in this round! Highlights for me would be...

Homer made a big mistake on this one. Should've been in the Top 5 not the bottom 3. Really catchy.

I don't make mistakes. ;) But if you'd like to make a convincing case for Dua Lipa then I'll swap it with machineheart's score, I'm sure "Mediphira" won't mind! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Missed this tonight :(
    Looks like a good selection of songs I don't know too, hopefully I'll catch up tomorrow

My first joker choice was Portishead, who won the last round, but I changed it to give something you were less likely to know, much more of a gamble. It's not the winning, it's the taking part, right?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I don't make mistakes. ;) But if you'd like to make a convincing case for Dua Lipa then I'll swap it with machineheart's score, I'm sure "Mediphira" won't mind! :P

Nah, it's all good... :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My first joker choice was Portishead, who won the last round, but I changed it to give something you were less likely to know, much more of a gamble. It's not the winning, it's the taking part, right?!

Why else would I enter :D

So I had my first listen to the Jokers round tonight. Very varied list, as you could imagine. A few very safe bets, others a bit more niche. At least one "what the actual fúck is this?" submission!

Very tough to decide the scoring, have a provisional Top 5 but don't have a clear winner as of yet. Will do listen #2 tomorrow and hopefully be ready to do the Reveal on Monday or Tuesday evening. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

At least one "what the actual fúck is this?" submission!

Anyone else get that sinking feeling that this song may be theirs or is it just me? :p

• Advertisement

Anyone else get that sinking feeling that this song may be theirs or is it just me? :p

Every damn time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Not mine. I didnt go as nuts as I could have and maybe should have

I reckon mine is one of the safe bets :pac:

giphy.gif

I'm actually fine if this never ends...

:pac:

"Hopefully" is a loaded term. Having a really hectic time at work so might be the weekend before we get finished. "Hopefully" Saturday night, Sunday at the absolute latest.

Tune in at 8pm tonight for the final reveal.

That's if I haven't died by then from exasperation over the results from the 70's and 00's threads. :p

Tune in at 8pm tonight for the final reveal.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I can't be there in person but I'll send a video message for when I win

tumblr_mb4lbtER2J1r902pso1_400.gif

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, running a bit late but do have final scores ready. Been a really hectic week so I haven't had time to make in-depth notes of each song, so it'll probably just be the overall verdict I'll give. I'm going to reveal the songs in reverse order, so starting with the one that came last in this round and working our way up to the winner. In each reveal I'll include the submitter, their "real" boards name and their final score.

Before I get going, just want to say thank you to everyone who entered. I discovered some great new music and had a lot of fun doing this. :) So regardless of who comes out on top tonight, you've all scored a moral victory! :D

I'll get going with our first song of the night in just a moment....

17th place and 1 point for:

Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness

This Joker was submitted by
    …….Rosparkle…..

Aka
    Our Best of the Noughties co-ordinator Necro

Giving them a final Walrus score of
    Comments:

Oh dear, this is not going to go well. I have always despised Manic Street Preachers, their music is generally quite bland and they have a major attitude problem. I find them extremely pretentious and arrogant, particularly Nicky Wire.

The riff here is a bit wearisome, you might think “oh that’s catchy” first time you hear it but by the zillionth time you’re just annoyed by it. James Dean Bradfield’s voice leaves me cold, he might technically be competent but I find him a bit shouty without any real emotion.

I really did try to be as objective as possible about this, because I know they have a large fanbase and plenty of critical acclaim…but I just can’t see anything in this I value. Sorry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's ok to be wrong Homer :D

good choon. went through a msp phase at one point

16th place and 2 points for

Slade - Universe

Are spoiler tags necessary? Yollins Roseverse

Aka
    Slade’s number 1 superfan spook_ie

Comments:

I've listened to more Slade in this contest than I thought I'd ever listen to in my life! :p And to be fair I've quite enjoyed some of their stuff. I guess knowing only the Christmas song and Cum On Feel The Noize had made think of them as just a bit of a novelty band. This one, sadly, is not one of their better ones. It's very much 80's power ballad territory (although it was actually early 90's, so already sounded dated when released!) and it just doesn't suit them - it's missing the glam rock touches and the element of fun that their best moments have. But hey, I still have more respect for Slade overall now than I did before we started, so perhaps "Yollins" is the real winner after all! :p

Necro wrote: »
    It's ok to be wrong Homer :D

Seeing how my nominations go down on the Best Of...threads I'm well used to being wrong by now. :(

To be fair I'm probably in the minority when it comes to the Manics, on paper I probably shouldn't dislike them but they just rub me up the wrong way. I'll accept that it's a case of "it's not you, it's me" (even though it is the rest of the world that's wrong, really! :cool: )

• Advertisement

15th place and 3 points for

Kings of Leon - Revelry

Hey Hey Hayesshine

Aka
    And I feel my finger on your Trigger

Comments:

I hate to be one of "those" people....but I did like Kings of Leon better in their pre-Sex on Fire era. :o To be fair I did actaully buy Only By The Night when it was released, and there were a few tracks on it I did really enjoy - Closer and Crawl were a fantastic opening duo. I also quite liked I Want You. Any of those songs would have scored very well here. But even at the time Revelry did absolutely nothing for me. There's nothing specifically wrong with it, it's just a bit sleepy. Doesn't really go anywhere or have any standout moments.

14th place and 4 points for

Duran Duran - The Valley

Our boozy fish Aleshark

Aka
    Lab Equipment Joseph, known to his friends as beakerjoe

Comments:
    I had high hopes for this when it started; it has a nice squelchy synthy opening, and I do love me some synthpop. Sadly it quickly grew a bit stale. It plods along quite flatly, the vocal is almost robotic to my ears. Some of the instrumentation is still quite nice but this is a song that ultimately adds up to less than the sum of its parts.

13th place and 5 points for

JJD & Revelationz Hardstyle - Toss a Coin To Your Witcher (Remix)

Marshallazora Satanwest

Aka
    JUST TELL ME THAT YOU WANT ME, AH AH EEEH…. TUSK!

Comments:
    Witcher is a TV show, that's about all I know....Ok nice acoustic guitar strumming, so far so go....OH MOTHER OF GOD! :eek:

32atmq.png

I'm going to award points here for the sheer balls of submitting something as ridiculous as this. Not that I ever want to listen to it again, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

13th place and 5 points for

JJD & Revelationz Hardstyle - Toss a Coin To Your Witcher (Remix)

Marshallazora Satanwest

Aka
    JUST TELL ME THAT YOU WANT ME, AH AH EEEH…. TUSK!

Comments:
    Witcher is a TV show, that's about all I know....Ok nice acoustic guitar strumming, so far so go....OH MOTHER OF GOD! :eek:

32atmq.png

I'm going to award points here for the sheer balls of submitting something as ridiculous as this. Not that I ever want to listen to it again, mind!

Yes tusk. Great entry.

F**k yes Tusk! Ya legend!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement