Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

thought i wouldnt be busy!
    boy was I wrong!
    asda was like christmas time already half the cars from the south,MANIC!
    You would need elbows of steel to get through the crowds!
    Great bargains to be had in asda alright but not an awful lot else in the town!
    went through the erneside SC to the main street with woolies etc and not a lot there.
    Tesco was empty at the same time as there prices are way off(or asda's are really good)
    heinz baby rice 1£ in asda same one in Tesco 2£.
    no wonder people dont go there!
    I will be stocking up for christmas in november for sure,this time I hope there is no feckin road works on the way into the town,2 1/2 hours drive and nearly an hour in traffic because of them,took the shine off a tad!
    slan
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

My handy hint for the day - Sainsburys in Armagh. Not as big as Newry but it carries 90% of the stuff with 5% of the hassle

Armagh is circa 90mins from Dublin via M1/N2/Keady.

Similar journey time to Sprucefield, and Sprucefield Sainsburys is much bigger than Newry. What's the advantage - avoiding the Newry bypass ?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Went to Ikea yesterday, went to use a credit card and the bloke said,
    "I'll have to charge you 1% to use the credit card as the credit card companies charge us!"
    There was no charge for Irish Laser card, the rate for Euro was 0.7500.
    Noticed very few ROI reg's in Ikea yesterday must have been the day of the week, a lot of the stuff we wanted also wasn't in stock :(.
    Tried to get into Newy and after 15 minutes of not moving gave up.

Sorry for your trouble

I posted yesterday, or the day before, about the vagaries of RoI cards & exchange rates in IKEA. Although they may not charge you for using your RoI debit card, Maestro will. They charged me 4.5% for using my BoI LASER/Maestro/Cirrus card in IKEA.

Also, for future reference, the IKEA website can advise what is currently in stock. We checked it before heading off so were reasonably confident of getting what we were after - and we did. Not sure though if you can reserve items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You evil bastard! :D:D:D

Where in Armagh is the sainsburys? Is it a case of you can't miss it?

Sainsburys Armagh is in the imaginatively named Mall Shopping Centre, on the Mall. Coming from the South or West will eventually bring you to the town centre, follow A29 to Dungannon/Moy, which will bring you around the Mall West. Once you're there you cant miss it. Bring 30p for parking though.

To the other poster re- Sprucefield...you're fairly caning it to do Dublin-Sprucefield in 90 minutes?? From the airport, maybe, I'm generally timing from Glasnevin direction. Armagh is an hour from Drogheda. Certainly though, the works to the Newry bypass are only going to get more restrictive over the next few months, imo to be avoided at peak times. If you're going off peak then theres no need to go out of the way.

To the other poster re- Sprucefield...you're fairly caning it to do Dublin-Sprucefield in 90 minutes??

Yeah, I start the clock, as it were, from the airport. Everything before that is a lottery. We got to IKEA on Monday before 11 and were heading past the airport at around 9. I generally kept within the speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In reply to the couple of posts re credit card exchange rates I think people should either buy the sterling in advance or even withdraw money (bank account) from an ATM in Northern Ireland as there is no handling charge.

Most of the stores give a reasonable exchange rate if paying in Euro and its worth the price of a phone call to the store to find out the rate before you embark on your journey.

TarfHead wrote: »
    Yeah, I start the clock, as it were, from the airport. Everything before that is a lottery. We got to IKEA on Monday before 11 and were heading past the airport at around 9. I generally kept within the speed limit.

That would make sense...though my suggestion would be aimed at the times when Newry is choked, in which case you'd definitely not be making Sprucefield in 90 mins. Traffic on Monday was probably taking 30-40mins to get from the approach to Cloghogue r/a to the Mourne Country roundabout (last one on the bypass).

Plus you'd get to marvel at the delights of Armagh :eek: :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

muffler wrote: »
    In reply to the couple of posts re credit card exchange rates I think people should either buy the sterling in advance or even withdraw money (bank account) from an ATM in Northern Ireland as there is no handling charge.

Most of the stores give a reasonable exchange rate if paying in Euro and its worth the price of a phone call to the store to find out the rate before you embark on your journey.
    Sage advice there Muffler. Argos in Newry were offering £0.75 yesterday, Sainsburys 76p which are quite poor rates imho.

I always use my ATM card and get sterling cash. Any left over can be used on a future trip so no waste there. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Exit 15 on M50 to Ikea yesterday took 2hr 20mins non stop.
    For most of trip up traffic was fine but bypassing Newry took about 30 mins and same again coming back.
    What nobody has mentioned before and needs to be taken into account
    is the cost in petrol.
    Cost me €60 in petrol return.

• Advertisement

is the cost in petrol.

To be fair, €60 sounds extremely excessive. You're either driving very inefficiently or your car has problems (or its a tank/American muscle car??). By my reckoning your averaging in the region of 16mpg on a motorway journey?

Your return trip was in the region of 260miles. Most cars would average 40mpg, in fact most would do more as its a good motorway jaunt. Using 40mpg, you should have used 6.5gallons - about 30litres, at say €1.20/l for petrol and diesel at the mo = €36.

In my case, I average 55mpg, and my local diesel is €1.15.Your trip would have cost me €25.

Its fair to say that on a 2-weekly or even weekly shop, and not taking booze into account, the majority of shoppers are saving far in excess of €36 on a trip. In fact more, as the grocery shoppers dont generally seem to be going as far as Belfast.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is a huge cost of fuel.

It is just under 100miles round trip for me to Newry and I get about 40mpg
    so costs me about 13.75 or so my mathematical skills reckon:)
    Which I think is pretty good considering the price differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

you dont have to go to newry via the m1 you can go into dundalk take the armagh road head for forkhill you come into newry at the roundabout at the exit between dundalk and the newry bypass you can then either go down the hill or go via the bypass i would sometimes go to belfast that way if the time is dodgy was in sainsburys yesterday morning shortly after 8 had the shop to myself

At first read, I assumed the poster had filled the tank in NI ? That would explain that cost. Our round trip last week was, approx., 230 miles and I guess we consumed 30 litres in a 1.6 ZAFIRA. On the return trip, the car had a lot more weight.

30 litres @ €1.15 = €34.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

is the cost in petrol.

You must have a small engine and drove with a high rev count or else you've a problem with the car.

My return mileage to Newry is almost 300 and that costs me about €50. My car does about 32mpg.

• Advertisement

At first read, I assumed the poster had filled the tank in NI ?

Even at that, petrol round Belfast at the supermarkets is down to around the £1/litre mark (about E1.25).

Does Sainsburys in Newry have a petrol station?

Nope, closed. Think the ground is more valuable as an overflow carpark! It's impossible to sell fuel in the NI border regions.

Does Sainsburys in Newry have a petrol station?

Another reason to go on to Sprucefield ;). We were given a receipt at the supermarket till that could be used for, IIRC, a 5p discount per litre at the Sainsburys petrol station.

Any trip to The Quays Newry between now and Christmas has the potential to be a nightmare and a disappointment.

Another reason to go on to Sprucefield ;). We were given a receipt at the supermarket till that could be used for, IIRC, a 5p discount per litre at the Sainsburys petrol station.

Even with 5p/l off your still paying more than you would at the 1st petrol station over the border in RoI though....for every RoI reg going north to buy washing powder theres an NI reg heading straight past for the cheap petrol/diesel.

Fill up before you leave. Unless your in one of Okidoki's armoured battletanks you won't need to fill up again until you're home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

confession time

mistakes made yesterday

heinz beans 4 pack £1.99 sainsburys
    buy 2 for £2.50 in dunnes

500g special k £2.79 sainsburys
    750g pack £2.75

kerrygold big size £1.89 sainsburys
    £1.49 in dunnes

mistakes not made
    coca cola 2 litre £1 in dunnes
    diet club orange 2 litre 80 something
    7 up 2 litre cant remember less than a pound maybe 74p
    all soft drinks were regular price in sainsburys no specials that i seen

now that ive come clean how about the rest of ye

etcetc wrote: »
    confession time

mistakes made yesterday

heinz beans 4 pack £1.99 sainsburys
    buy 2 for £2.50 in dunnes

500g special k £2.79 sainsburys
    750g pack £2.75

kerrygold big size £1.89 sainsburys
    £1.49 in dunnes

mistakes not made
    coca cola 2 litre £1 in dunnes
    diet club orange 2 litre 80 something
    7 up 2 litre cant remember less than a pound maybe 74p
    all soft drinks were regular price in sainsburys no specials that i seen

A link to your original post would help.

And Im not sure what you mean by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

A link to your original post would help.

And Im not sure what you mean by
    Quote:

sorry for confusion just trying to help others avoid making same mistakes i did

if others do the same all the better

Im none the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

2 litre tank otherwise known as a people carrier.
    Filled it in Dublin, €60 @ 1.22 a litre, did 445 km and empty when I got back to Dublin working out about 9 km per litre.
    Sounds over the top all right.

Nope, closed. Think the ground is more valuable as an overflow carpark! It's impossible to sell fuel in the NI border regions.
    Strange as I was given a voucher for 5p a litre off petrol or diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Quick question about buying drink...

From what time of the day can you buy spirits and beer in Sainsburys?
    Or can you buy it from the time they open (8am)?

I believe so. On Sundays they don't open until 1pm.

Strange as I was given a voucher for 5p a litre off petrol or diesel.

All Sainsburys do this as far as I'm aware - the Armagh one does and there's never been a fuel station attached.

As I said previously though, to an RoI resident they're of little use unless you're stuck in NI with an empty tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

hi,

my better half rescues cats from the GSPCA cat shelter and adopts strays;
    we have 5 cats at the moment;
    cat food has become very expensive in county galway lately;

would we save much by shopping for same in enniskillen?

price comparisons would be welcome;
    thanks
    bagels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

bagels wrote: »

Don't know about cat food but I shopped in Asda Enniskillen and bought dog food, bought a 5kg bag of Bakers for £6, they sell 3kg bags of bakers in Tesco for €8.78, works out the following per kilo

Tesco 3kg = €8.78 = 1kg €2.92

Asda 5kg = £6 = €7.64 = 1kg €1.52

I'd say you would get twice more cat food in Enniskillen for the same money down south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was thinking of going up to do a bit of christmas shopping where would people recommend going? From Dublin. Would be going a thursday morning so traffic should be ok.

From now on Newry will be a warzone at all hours. Avoid.

Better to head to Sprucefield, Armagh, Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

bagels wrote: »
    hi,

it depends on the type of food tbh all with your regular supermarket brands whiskas etc there's usually something on special offer (check out the sainsburys / asda website for details) if you're looking at foods like royal canin etc then generally no there isn't too much of a saving in fact it can be cheaper on this side of the border. With cat litter you will generally be able to buy it cheaper in NI.

there's a jollies pet shop by the bus station in enniskillen afaik.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Charlton1

Can anyone give me directions to Sprucefield,? I know how to get to Sainsburys in Newry, but can't face the madness anymore..

Carry on the A1 for about 30 mins until just before the start of the M1 motorway to Belfast. Take a left at the roundabout before the motorway and you will see Sprucefield on your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Anyone know of any good furniture shops up there? Looking for a decent sofa.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

ikea, fultons, dekko on boucher road, just off M1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Can you use televisions bought in the north with analogue NTL down here in Dublin? I know it certainly used to be the case that the tuner band NTL used was not available on televisions sold in Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Charlton1

Thanks for that.

johnfás wrote: »
    Can you use televisions bought in the north with analogue NTL down here in Dublin? I know it certainly used to be the case that the tuner band NTL used was not available on televisions sold in Britain.

Is the NTL tuning not carried out by the NTL box and the signal forwarded to the tv by scard/hdmi/RF cable?

Best to post in a techie section in any case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We noticed petrol up north was actually cheaper in places then down here especially tescos with the 5c a litre off vouchers.Out of habit I had filled up down here before heading up though.

With your Sainsburys 5p off voucher that makes the petrol 92.9p a litre which works out at €1.18 at todays rate. I can easily get petrol here for 114.9 cent a litre.

Is the NTL tuning not carried out by the NTL box and the signal forwarded to the tv by scard/hdmi/RF cable?

Best to post in a techie section in any case.

Poster is asking about analog, i.e. co-axial cable.

I know that used to be the case - our family's first colour TV was bought in Lurgan and my father had to get a UHF/VHF converter to make it work. That's the question that needs answering, in a techie section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've got another reason to shop in the North, the ISME, the cheeky feckers who represent small and medium Irish businesses are now claiming, "that Irish shoppers heading abroad are killing Irish jobs, undermining local businesses and robbing the Irish economy of millions of euro in unpaid taxes."

I understand they mean US flights but I can find something cheaper abroad I'm going to buy it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1027/breaking13.htm

Well it if wasnt for the Irish shop ripping off Irish consumers we wouldn't have to shop abroad. I had only planned on buying day to day items in the south, like milk bread and eggs, now I'm going to buy a Northie chicken, buy milk in bulk and freeze it and bake my own bread :D

Cheeky fecking b@stards is all I can say.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    Don't know about cat food but I shopped in Asda Enniskillen and bought dog food, bought a 5kg bag of Bakers for £6, they sell 3kg bags of bakers in Tesco for €8.78, works out the following per kilo

Tesco 3kg = €8.78 = 1kg €2.92

Asda 5kg = £6 = €7.64 = 1kg €1.52

I'd say you would get twice more cat food in Enniskillen for the same money down south.

thanks for the advice
    regds
    bagels

it depends on the type of food tbh all with your regular supermarket brands whiskas etc there's usually something on special offer (check out the sainsburys / asda website for details) if you're looking at foods like royal canin etc then generally no there isn't too much of a saving in fact it can be cheaper on this side of the border. With cat litter you will generally be able to buy it cheaper in NI.

there's a jollies pet shop by the bus station in enniskillen afaik.;)

many thanks
    regds
    bagels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

2 one litre bottles of spirits (smirnoff etc) for 20£sterling in tesco uk/Northern Ireland this weekend. Saw advert in Northern Irish Newspaper which i don't have at present but nearly sure it said 2 one litres for 20sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

2 one litre bottles of spirits (smirnoff etc) for 20£sterling in tesco uk/Northern Ireland this weekend. Saw advert in Northern Irish Newspaper which i don't have at present but nearly sure it said 2 one litres for 20sterling.

Thats a great deal. I am heading up to Enniskillen on Sunday so I will be sure to head in to Tesco. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I think they work out around €29 each down here!

http://www.supermarketspecialoffers.com/BeerandDrinkOffers.aspx

On page 19:
    Smirnoff Red Label Vodka 1 Litre
    Tesco
    Price - £13.00
    Offer - 2 for £20.00
    Valid until - 02/11/2008

• Advertisement
Advertisement