Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top Bike shops in Ireland .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a service contract with Halfords and brought the bike in for a repair on Sunday. They told me to take it to a precision engineer... Think I will look for my money back!

Anyway brought the bike to a number of different stores and no one would touch it - because they didn't deal with the brand...

Brought it to The Bike Rack in Cabinteely & they fixed it within five mins. The mechanic was dead on, fair play to them.

I had asked Halfords to order in two bolts for me last Sunday & they still can't tell me when I will have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Ccyle Inn in talaght ! great service and no bull**** advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

MacDonald Cycles in Rathgar has possibly the friendliest and most helpful customer service I've encountered in this country. It's terrible isn't it when good customer service seems out of the ordinary!

The prices are reasonable too.

Friendly yes, but otherwise I disagree stongly. Just dropped €25 there and the gears are rattling like crazy, won't stay in low gear for more than a minute before jumping forward one.

So disgusted with the bike and their service I'm just going to buy a new bike, but not from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

chain reaction for me never been to the shop but how they get stuff posted out so quick i'll never know rarley more than 2 days but then i live out in the wilds where the local bike shop owner hates customers (really)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

The one place i find good for advice and tips specing repair and equipment and selection of bikes all bike are custom build no straight out of the box type bikes so its a big old pic and mix which is great

Douglas Cyles in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 turbosnow

Re Cyclelogical
    I have to say that my experience with them has been completely the opposite of what others have reported. I am from out of town (the U.S.) and they have been very accommodating to me. I did not buy a bike from them but have come in several times to buy accessories and ask for help. They trued one of my wheels for free one time when I went in there, and have always been extremely helpful. I have been looking at buying a bike to replace my GT that is a bit too small for me, I went in today and they showed me the bikes that were in the right price range, they did not pressure me at all and even told me that there was no reason to spend too much $$. Then they said to think on it and come back, overall my anecdotal experience has been excellent with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bikergal

I find cyclelogical very helpful anytime i have any problems, they are fixed straight away. The lads are very friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

bikergal wrote:
    I find cyclelogical very helpful anytime i have any problems, they are fixed straight away. The lads are very friendly and helpful.

Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Three posts in a row boosting Cyclelogical. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 turbosnow

And I bought a bike from them today, good price and they were very nice setting it up for me to test out and then having it ready for me later that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭coggs

:D top shop on the northside is richies bike shop in swords . On south side joe dalys dundrum and cycle superstore in tallaght . All have have great value for money , good service and excellent repairs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

coggs wrote:
    :D top shop on the northside is richies bike shop in swords .

I don't find their component selection that great unless you want BBB. Nice guys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Douglas Cycles In Cork

Everthing Brian Bulilds is Custom pick the frame parts wheels and he will put it together good on clothing and parts knows his suf too as he races himself and know,s most people on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Back to Cyclelogical - I have always found them incredibly helpful too. There is never any pressure - you may have to wait a bit when they are very busy but they always show you the right stuff and never try to oversell. When I buy a bunch of things, I've always had a few bucks off the marked price as well. I was talking to them about a second-hand bike I wanted to buy once and they offered to check it out for me for free. The guy even told me a few things to look out for in used bikes. That when it would have probably lost them a sale of a new bike.

Was in Cycleways the first time today and the lads there are very helpful - almost too helpful.

I think shop ratings would probably depend on what you want to get there as well. There is probably one rating for buying a bike, another for repairs and a third for buying accessories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ali97

UCD bike shop, great for repairs!! Cheap service too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have had good experiences with cyclesuperstore (online and in-store), also I love chainreaction cycles. Fantastic.

Locally, the best bike mechanics I have ever encountered are worldwidecycles in clonmel. Second to none, but thats what you would expect with top class cyclists owning and running a shop and doing all the repairs themselves. (e.g. kept their shop open late one night when my LBS wouldn't fix a gearing problem the night before I flew out to the etape... I called worldwide who were also too busy to help but when they heard my plight, told me to call up after work - its about an hours drive, they kept the shop open till 7:30 instead of 5:30 ! , fixed my bike on the spot, whilst I wandered around and bought loads of stuff, after which, they charged me nothing for the labour and gave me a nice discount on all the stuff I bought !) They really are brilliant and are just as happy for you to stop by and chat about cycling even if you are not buying anything ! Recommended if you are in the area... also I find that they sometimes match or beat the best prices I can get online and if you are looking for something extra special, they can usually get you a good deal on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I have had good experiences with cyclesuperstore (online and in-store), also I love chainreaction cycles. Fantastic.

Locally, the best bike mechanics I have ever encountered are worldwidecycles in clonmel. Second to none, but thats what you would expect with top class cyclists owning and running a shop and doing all the repairs themselves. (e.g. kept their shop open late one night when my LBS wouldn't fix a gearing problem the night before I flew out to the etape... I called worldwide who were also too busy to help but when they heard my plight, told me to call up after work - its about an hours drive, they kept the shop open till 7:30 instead of 5:30 ! , fixed my bike on the spot, whilst I wandered around and bought loads of stuff, after which, they charged me nothing for the labour and gave me a nice discount on all the stuff I bought !) They really are brilliant and are just as happy for you to stop by and chat about cycling even if you are not buying anything ! Recommended if you are in the area... also I find that they sometimes match or beat the best prices I can get online and if you are looking for something extra special, they can usually get you a good deal on it.

To be fair Barry and Ray are legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Aye, that they are ! Tell me this Junior, was that you out on the Comeragh Sunday spin last weekend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theshiels

I actually work in one of these shops... Let the firestorm begin. I'll speak for myself anyway here. I'm a cycling enthusiast and cyclist first, a sales assistant second when it comes to work (i see a p-45 coing my way!). It's a pity to hear alot of the negativity coming out. And again, I'll speak for myself, I'm sorry that we've ticked you off in any manner or pushed your patience in the past.

I'll address some of the issues from my point of view. So, in future you can come on and gripe to me, however you want to play it, rather than vent on the web, where untill recently the wrench bearers couldnt try and make amends....

Lack of interest? Not in my case, if you enjoy pushing your pedals around, we'll get along. Honestly, I've been cycling since i can remember, I'm in my twenties and i don't drive because i cycle everywhere. It's a passion first and a job second, guess i'm lucky in that respect. And yes, i count myself lucky to work in one of "those" shops a lot of the time. I know a lot of the others in the shop feel that way, all bicycle nuts. Competing athletes, ex athletes, the lot, they work there. If i walked into a shop and expressed no interest in the people working there and only wanted to buy something quickly and walked out, I'd hardly expect the time of day from them. Now i'm not saying you should have a lengthy conversation, but understand that while they're there to serve you, they're still people! Bored out of their minds from re-stocking tubes and getting berated because the factory in italy which has nothing to do with them is out of stock of a certain gillet! ;)

One of the issues there is, if you connect on the same level, you'll get a lot better service. Goes with any shop. I can't tell you how many times a smile, or a "how's it going" has caught me off guard. Good manners on both sides of the counter are detrimental to a good relationship, because let's face it, you grow loyal to certain bike shops, it's not like a self service tesco now is it? And while you're 100% right to expect top notch service, you can't expect the best reaction to a bad attitude. I remember one customer telling me i wasn't a "real cyclist" because i wasn't a roadie. And no, he wasn't joking. Insult and injury when he asked for a staff member who "knew about real bikes" and wanted discounted goods.

I have recurring customers who i look forward to seeing because they brighten up the day by being friendly and nice. The reason they come back is because i've done my damndest to treat them with respect, do right by them and even if i make a mistake make sure that in the end they get what they need! At least i hope that's why they come back! There are some days customers make you feel like the scum on their shoes. Rather than get pissy and refuse to serve them like some do, in my case i try and grin and bear it. It's not always easy, and as can be expected if you're rude and aren't all that understanding, you may not be handed everything on a silver platter. Sometimes if you can't get a part or a straight answer IT'S BECAUSE NEITHER CAN WE. It's not in my nature to lie to people, but sometimes there are thing beyond the bike shop employees control.... Local distro- Euro distro- etc etc etc

In terms of recognition, yes if you are in a shop a lot and they dont recognise you, it's a bit off. But i can tell you this for free, there are some customers I look forward to dealing with when they roll in, or if i spot 'em outside. Not even for the banter, some people are just nice. However, some people...well. you know yourself. I'm not saying that if you aren't getting discount you're a) b) or c). Or if you're getting talked down to that you know nothing about bikes. But if you can build up a relationship with the person youre dealing with, note person, then i'm sure you'll have a much better experience in any shop you go into. If i was looking for a bike, i wouldn't presume that the person dealing with me knew how much i knew about bikes!

Some customers get discount and deals because they've been coming in for years and have built up a rapport. Some get it because they know a staff member. Some get it because they make a bloody good first impression. Sometimes, you may have to point out you've been coming in a lot, not the fairest, but it happens. And in my case i actually like doing deals with people, makes them satisfied and me happy because they are.. blah...

I'm going to leave my reply there, hopefully that adds a little to our side of the scales (the bike shop employees all over)

I understand where youre all coming from, i've been in your shoes. If you have complaints, go into the shop, tell them. Up front, it can be embarrassing, but it is also appreciated, I have had to rethink how i deal with people everyday from my first week in work. Everyday i have to.. But also, remember that we work in a bike shop because we love bikes, and if you can maybe treat us as fellow cyclists too, it'll benefit both of us... I should replace jerry springer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Aidan Quinlan in Barrack Street, Cork City.

Honest, reasonable and knows his bikes inside out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Without a doubt Bikerack in Cabintely. They are great! I live on the north side and still try to use them as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭daveyrovers

Should have read this post before I made the trip out to town. Was hoping to buy a bike and a pair of runners in their new running store. Didn't get much help in the bike shop and although the guy was helpful in runways next door they had very little stock. All pearl Izumi runners which I've read some bad reports about in Triathlon 220. They had some Mizuno runners but only do full sizes! Didn't have Asics, Brooks, New Balance, Adidas or Saucony. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were doing all these brands? The Gait Analysis wasn't set up either:mad: I suppose they are only up and running a couple of weeks... ended up getting the runners in Arnotts. Still looking for the bike! These were the things I promised I'd treat myself to after the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

navan cycles, good service, friendly an willing to do a deal, if asked. bought my new bike there a few months ago, got nearly 100 yoyos off, fair play guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

I'm trying to build a map of the cycle shops in Dublin
    http://www.awaycity.com/wiki/Dublin/Cycle_Shops
    I'm sure I'm missing some of them, so feel free to let me know how I can do a better one.
    And soon, I will put a rating function on them, well I'm already excited when this will work:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

paulgreene wrote: »
    I'm trying to build a map of the cycle shops in Dublin
    http://www.awaycity.com/wiki/Dublin/Cycle_Shops
    I'm sure I'm missing some of them, so feel free to let me know how I can do a better one.
    And soon, I will put a rating function on them, well I'm already excited when this will work:rolleyes:

McDonalds on Wexford St, Penny Farthing on Camden St, place on Patrick St (I can't remember the name). Another crowd in Rathgar (I think they're MacDonalds as well). Cycle Surgery in Dundrum Shopping Centre. Staggs in Lucan. I think there might be a shop in Bray too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

P+K Cycles are the ones on Patrick St. There's also one on the canal, at the junction of Upper Clanbrassil St andParnell Rd/Grove Rd -though don't know if it's much good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Square Wheel cycles in Temple Bar too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

joe daly's dundrum for all the main bits bikes super friendly good service
    square wheel cycles templebar for 26tpi cups bb parts that don't exist anymore etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Belfield Bike Shop in UCD. Fine for the odd bit of kit but generally wouldn't go there for repairs. They also deal mainly with commuting bikes and always have a back log.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 crown of storms

Cycle surgery in Dundrum has the friendliest staff i have ever come across in a bike shop- really sound and laid back- not pushy with up-selling etc.
    I was initially sceptical about giving my business to an english chain but i now go there regularly!
    Nice surly cogs too!

Cycleways is also good but too far to be convenient.

Advertisement