Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Bike shops in Ireland .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I saw another courier around dublin today, that is usually on a fixed, but today I noticed a weird dangly yoke off the back of the right chainstay, it had a chain going through it...weird:p:p

I couldnt be a derailleur could it??:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

kona wrote: »
    I saw another courier around dublin today, that is usually on a fixed, but today I noticed a weird dangly yoke off the back of the right chainstay, it had a chain going through it...weird:p:p

I couldnt be a derailleur could it??:cool:

I think I spotted the same guy at lunchtime today: white bike? Struck me as being odd, I reckoned he was using it to tension the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

Cyclelogical i found is great, i bought a kona dawg delux from them, they threw in a good few free things, such as clip in pedals and lights, the will change forks no probs if you want something upgraded, ask for cliff, i dealt with him, but then all the lads are sound, unless the tour DE France is in the final 3kms, lol, but he still got up and helped me change something, but if you walked in with a bike that they didn't sell you they don't want to know, so for me its great to have a service just for me and my bike, don't bring in chicken chasers, they have sweet bikes, why would you want a pile of ****e making your shop look like a trash hole, i know i wouldn't take it in if i owned the shop, alot of dreamers go there drooling over there kit, if yet to find an error in there ways,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

mockler007 wrote: »
    if yet to find an error in there ways,

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jen-

Wolfe Cycles in Kimmage is good, the guys are really helpful, and you generally get same day, or at the latest next day service. And they fix all the post bikes too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Cyclelogical is the worst shop I have ever been in. I went in one day to ask for a quick lend of an allen key as my handlebars had come loose and were slipping. Which as you could imagine is very dangerous. They refused, said I could buy them instead, as if I was unaware of my ability to purchase items(I owned a pair, just at home). I then spent the nest 10 mins explaining to the guy how that was a bad policy, as i would never come back in there to buy anything due to the service I had just experienced. Worst thing is he really seemed to not understand how it was a bad policy. But then you read all of these stories. Its no wonder their window is always broken. If I see it fixed I'll break it!! Anyway I walked around to capel st to buy some allen keys, they'll never smell my money again.

On the otherhand my front beake came off one day and i popped into city cycles on prussia street (?). I lost a baring and the guy had none in stock so took one off the display models, put it on and didn't charge me a penny. I had never been in there before.

Guess where I've bought everything since!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

funkyjebus wrote: »
    city cycles on prussia street (?)

That bit of the street is called Blackhall Place, but yeah its the continuation of Manor/Prussia Street down towards the quays.

I've also had good service in that shop. They've got the cheapest rear wheels for fixies in the city.

I think I spotted the same guy at lunchtime today: white bike? Struck me as being odd, I reckoned he was using it to tension the chain.

It made a noise the was suspiciously like a deore XT rear mech shifting:D

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Cyclelogical is the worst shop I have ever been in. I went in one day to ask for a quick lend of an allen key as my handlebars had come loose and were slipping. Which as you could imagine is very dangerous. They refused, said I could buy them instead, as if I was unaware of my ability to purchase items(I owned a pair, just at home). I then spent the nest 10 mins explaining to the guy how that was a bad policy, as i would never come back in there to buy anything due to the service I had just experienced. Worst thing is he really seemed to not understand how it was a bad policy. But then you read all of these stories. Its no wonder their window is always broken. If I see it fixed I'll break it!! Anyway I walked around to capel st to buy some allen keys, they'll never smell my money again.

On the otherhand my front beake came off one day and i popped into city cycles on prussia street (?). I lost a baring and the guy had none in stock so took one off the display models, put it on and didn't charge me a penny. I had never been in there before.

Guess where I've bought everything since!!

Instead of moaning about why they didnt give you the tools(which they use to make money, Im sure if you paid them to tighten it up for a euro they would do it, I wored in a bike shop that charged $1 just for me to look at your bike), you should name the shop that services your bike, its sounds like its quite poor.

kmick wrote: »
    There is a little place in Tenple Bar which is underground. This is the best value for a service or parts. The guy is sound but it can tend to be slow as he has a big backlog. He is beside the rcord shop close enough to the Temple bar music center. Above all he will tell you the truth which is rare.

Commuting solutions in Rathmines are very knowledgeable and friendly but little bit pricey. Also I once brought a bike in with a skipping cog and they told me it was fixed when it was actaully not fixable. For this they lose a few marks. I had to go to another shop to get the info that it was not fixable i.e. needed a new part which was so expensive the bike was not worth fixing.

MacDonald Cycles in Rathgar is a grand place and the guy is very friendly. However it is a little bit pricey as well. He once fixed a problem for me for free so I would defo go back.

Hollingsworth Cycles Templeogue - I have had a few bad experiences here and on that basis I dont recommend.

Cycleways Parnell Street - not that interested and will tell you whatever you want to hear. You never know where you stand with these guys. Steer clear.

Cyclelogical - they dont do servicing so in my mind they are not a proper bike shop.
    eh cycleogical do service on their own bikes that they sell you, and since i have bought a bike with a lifetime frame garantee (kona)and 5yr parts warranty, they have the bikes themselves and know how too fix them, cant fault the lads, example, had to change a broken swingarm allen bolt from a hard landing, rang cliff, next day it was booked in and a quick repair under warranty was done and collected the same day, they wont fix bikes if you havent bought from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

anyone use macdonald cycles on wexford street ? i have used them on and off over ther last 3-4 years however on my last visit they were they very abrupt and downright rude - as if they were doing me the favour by me bringing my business to them - wont be using them again.

as a bar manager by trade i stopped lending out wine openers when i worked in hotels, you never get them back, so i can see why they dont want to lend out their own tools, i know i would'nt lend out, its a bike shop lads, yeh you can argue it isnt service, but again it isnt a free for all, yet you had allen keys at home but bought a new allen key set, i bring my allen keys with me everywhere, spare tube and a pump, organise yourself, dont expect others to do it, maybe if you were a custumer you would have had it tightened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 r132ar

hi guys does any one know where i can get a quill stem in a bike shop in dublin and how much?and does any one know how much youd pay for a cheap silver crank set for a fixie?cheers

r132ar wrote: »
    hi guys does any one know where i can get a quill stem in a bike shop in dublin and how much?and does any one know how much youd pay for a cheap silver crank set for a fixie?cheers

Quill stem...any bike shop.

Cheap crankset? how cheap, Id consider a cheap crankset to be e130. Then again I like my parts to last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 r132ar

fair enough ,well i need a sigle speed one?theres one in hollingsworth temelouge for 50?looks good aswell ?any one know any thing about other places that mite have any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 easilyled

Bruce11 wrote: »
    Humphries Cycle Shop
    Mc Kee Road,
    Finglas East,
    Dublin 11.

A proper bike shop and an importer distributor for cycle frames/parts etc.

They build bikes, service and repair any bikes.

Good service and friendly to boot. Ask for Derek.

Hi was looking at buying a race truck off these guys. Gary to be specific, twice I agreed to meet him and twice he failed to show up. Whats worse is that he didn't bother to text or call and both times I had a 3 hour round trip.

I hope they treat the cycle customers better than that as I wouldn't spend a penny with them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What is a race truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 easilyled

Raam wrote: »
    What is a race truck?
    A truck for carrying race bikes with living accomodation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

for a first time buyer of a decent bike i went to cycleways just because of their location to where I live and work and was very happy with the service I got. Staff were great and very helpful for what I needed would back for another bike to them. Bought some clothing of net and price wise not much better then shops and some poor online service.

Ordered pedals and 2 jerseys last week from a shop/online store in Dublin and still waiting. Was told by mail that 1 jersey is still waiting to arrive in shop and other is out of stock so I should order another similar 1. Not in a rush for jerseys but I want my pedals last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Just curious but why don't you just cycle to the shop to collect the items or can you not get to them when they are open. Seems odd to order something online from the county you live in?
    neris wrote: »
    for a first time buyer of a decent bike i went to cycleways just because of their location to where I live and work and was very happy with the service I got. Staff were great and very helpful for what I needed would back for another bike to them. Bought some clothing of net and price wise not much better then shops and some poor online service.

Ordered pedals and 2 jerseys last week from a shop/online store in Dublin and still waiting. Was told by mail that 1 jersey is still waiting to arrive in shop and other is out of stock so I should order another similar 1. Not in a rush for jerseys but I want my pedals last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Seems odd to order something online from the county you live in?

Sometimes its handier then tracking across the city and wasting a morning finding what they said was in stock on the phone isn't when you get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

BostonB wrote: »
    Sometimes its handier then tracking across the city and wasting a morning finding what they said was in stock on the phone isn't when you get there.

it's a small city!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

work for myself and not always that easy to just pop into town during business hours so for a day or twos wait its handier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

it's a small city!

With traffic it can easily take 1 hour or more to cross the city. Then similar back. My commute is about 14k across Dublin through the center. A journey time of 45~90 mins is usual. Quickest way is usually cycling.

I think in most bike shops there one or two guys who are good and interested in people. Then theres usually a few others who have no business working in a shop and especially a bike shop. As they've no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Roadrat

Cycleways sent out the wrong seat to me a few weeks ago.I was annoyed when I rang to complain.The fella I dealt with was professional to the core.Sent out the correct seat which I got next morning by recorded delivery.He also threw in a few free tubes as a goodwill gesture.
    Well-impressed with his professionalism.Think his name is Paul O'Reilly head of their webshop????Never experienced anything like this in Ireland before..So take a bow Cycleways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 _unperfect_

I bought a ladies bike for myself online last month from a bike shop in Cavan That delivers bikes all over Ireland...I found them very resonably priced and I would definately recommend them! :)
    The website is www.donegan.ie for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

I bought a ladies bike for myself online last month from a bike shop in Cavan That delivers bikes all over Ireland...I found them very resonably priced and I would definately recommend them! :)
    The website is www.donegan.ie for anyone interested.

thank you very much for the link. They have the bike I am interested in, and its 65 euro cheaper than everywhere else i have searched... Thanks for the link! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

chain reaction for me never been to the shop but how they get stuff posted out so quick i'll never know rarley more than 2 days but then i live out in the wilds where the local bike shop owner hates customers (really)

Took the young lad up there for a spin one day recently-he's looking for a new BMX. Don't waste your time-a complete waste of space. Don't get me wrong, I won't fault their website or delivery speeds etc. but the shop is about as big as your average kitchen. The photos on the website make it look sometihng it's not and there's very little on display.

Try doing that and then facing a two and a half hour drive home with a sulking 13 year old (it was all my fault I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Took the young lad up there for a spin one day recently-he's looking for a new BMX. Don't waste your time-a complete waste of space. Don't get me wrong, I won't fault their website or delivery speeds etc. but the shop is about as big as your average kitchen. The photos on the website make it look sometihng it's not and there's very little on display.

Sorry for bumping this thread ,but looking at chainreaction's website it looks like they have a new warehouse.
    Has the place changed lately ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping this thread ,but looking at chainreaction's website it looks like they have a new warehouse.
    Has the place changed lately ?

Nah, that's the place I was at. Don't fall for it....

Advertisement