Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Bike shops in Ireland .

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Nah, that's the place I was at. Don't fall for it....

Cheers ,I'm sticking with my local shop so.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭redzone

I got back into biking this year and have been shopping for a road bike via the cycle to work scheme. Some of the lads I work with did the same last year and now are already upgrading their bikes so I decided to put a few quid with the 1000e allowance and buy a better bike. I researched alot online and then visited lots of bike shops. The levels of service I encountered ranged from excellent to very poor in both the small local type shop to the bigger showroom type setups. I'd just like to mention the shops where I found the service and staff knowledge excellent. Cycle Inn Long Mile Rd , Wheelworx at Liffey Valley and Stagg cycles in Lucan village. After alot of compairing different bikes and being overloaded with tech info I settled for an Orbea Onix from Staggs. On two visits I delt with different lads, both very polite ,knowledgable and no such thing as a stupid question ! They did me a great deal and gave me a good price for my 10 year old trade in. I can't collect it till January but thats due to the cycle to work scheme terms with my employer , its in stock and they will store it till then.The new year cant come soon enough. A big shout out to Staggs. Cheers lads.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 G50

Money Shot wrote: »
    No, never been to the Coolock Branch, but have experienced the Liffey Value and Blanchardstown varietys.
    Where do they get the guys that work there - they seem to hire people who can perfect a certain gormless, uninterested look. They are always under staffed too.
    As I say though - they do thave some good deals, unlike most LBS's

<snip>I worked in the Blanchardstown branch of Halfords for nearly a year, i've since got full time in Cycleways over the summer. I race XC for UCD, can put a bike togeather in just over 5 mins, can completly tear a bike down clean it and put it back togeather with my eyes closed. At my time of leaving (this year) the lads that work there are all top class at what they do, all cycle and are mad into bikes, great sales men and can throw a bike together as good as any bike shop in the country! Seems to me you have no clue about what your talking about.

So get your facts straight before you make ignorant comments like the 2 ones above! And i dont care if you posted this in 2007 the fact of the matter is that right now Halfords Bike Hut Blanchardstown have one of the bike departments in the city.

Yes we are understaffed at times and arnt able to give people all the service they need but thats not the fault of the lads on the ground, thats the time were in . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Thread starter's username now somewhat ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

G50 wrote: »
    <snip> I worked in the Blanchardstown branch of Halfords for nearly a year, i've since got full time in Cycleways over the summer. I race XC for UCD, can put a bike togeather in just over 5 mins, can completly tear a bike down clean it and put it back togeather with my eyes closed. At my time of leaving (this year) the lads that work there are all top class at what they do, all cycle and are mad into bikes, great sales men and can throw a bike together as good as any bike shop in the country! Seems to me you have no clue about what your talking about.

So get your facts straight before you make ignorant comments like the 2 ones above! And i dont care if you posted this in 2007 the fact of the matter is that right now Halfords Bike Hut Blanchardstown have one of the bike departments in the city.

Yes we are understaffed at times and arnt able to give people all the service they need but thats not the fault of the lads on the ground, thats the time were in . . . .

Regardless of what you can do with your eyes closed, you should leave the personal insults in the playground. All the rest of your post lost its credibility after that.

In all fairness, the Op is only giving an opinion, calm down its your old employer, not your mother he's commenting on.

And IMO, Money shot is spot on. Halfords in Blanch didn't know that a shimano road hub can take a 8,9 &10 speed. He thought there is a hub for each speed and he'd call himself a professional:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 G50

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Regardless of what you can do with your eyes closed, you should leave the personal insults in the playground. All the rest of your post lost its credibility after that.

In all fairness, the Op is only giving an opinion, calm down its your old employer, not your mother he's commenting on.

And IMO, Money shot is spot on. Halfords in Blanch didn't know that a shimano road hub can take a 8,9 &10 speed. He thought there is a hub for each speed and he'd call himself a professional:rolleyes:

Ye probobly alittle on the harsh side, but sometimes these things must be said. Ignorance is ignorance regardless of where it be found, and shouldn't be allowed go unchallenged just because its on the internet . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

redzone wrote: »
    I got back into biking this year and have been shopping for a road bike via the cycle to work scheme. Some of the lads I work with did the same last year and now are already upgrading their bikes so I decided to put a few quid with the 1000e allowance and buy a better bike. I researched alot online and then visited lots of bike shops. The levels of service I encountered ranged from excellent to very poor in both the small local type shop to the bigger showroom type setups. I'd just like to mention the shops where I found the service and staff knowledge excellent. Cycle Inn Long Mile Rd , Wheelworx at Liffey Valley and Stagg cycles in Lucan village. After alot of compairing different bikes and being overloaded with tech info I settled for an Orbea Onix from Staggs. On two visits I delt with different lads, both very polite ,knowledgable and no such thing as a stupid question ! They did me a great deal and gave me a good price for my 10 year old trade in. I can't collect it till January but thats due to the cycle to work scheme terms with my employer , its in stock and they will store it till then.The new year cant come soon enough. A big shout out to Staggs. Cheers lads.:):):)

Zombie thread but similar story here and a +1 for Stagg's.
    Had tried a few shops, hadn't found a lot of variation in price, but Stagg's were the first shop that seemed interested in what I wanted and needed, rather than just selling another unit. They were upfront about how they lost a percentage of the voucher price to cyclescheme.ie but offered me a very good deal on everything else I bought.

Sorry to say that every time I went in to Wheelworx, I spent about 10 minutes wandering around looking lost. Each time, I walked out again without exchanging a word with any of the (many) staff, who seemed more interested in either chatting to each other, or crowding around one customer (who I presume to be a known €5k bike rider). A bloody shame really, because it's a lot handier for me than Stagg's on the other side of the DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Another +1 for Staggs. Been buying bikes in there for the last 25 years. Just picked up my new Trek 3.1 this afternoon. Bike was already reduced by €450, but I got a free wireless computer, Specialized mini pump and 0.5 watt front and rear lights. Place was packed every time I've been in recently, so it seems good news travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That the main problem with staggs. Its usually packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

It's down to the person rather than the shop. Big Cliff Mulhern in eurocyles on south William street in Dublin is the most knowledgable and customer friendly person I have ever talked bikes with. So I would follow him whatever shop he worked at.

Build a relationship with a good bike guy, give him/her some repeat busines, and the prices you pay will tumble. That is way more important than the shop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr Blah

I must say I appear to the only person who has got a different experience with Staggs that every one else.
    I bought a Trek commuter bike 11 years ago in Staggs. I got a good deal then as they were trying to dump the bike. It cost me circa £800 and the most expensive mode of transport I have ever purchased. I loved the bike. Then I had a very bad accident and I gave up cycling. After 9 years in the shed I decided to bring the impacted bike to Staggs to see was it usable. After a week I came back and they said they could not clarify the frame was safe. So thinking I would never cycle again and the bike had relatively good components I asked do you have a cycle club. They said they did. I said would the components of the bike be useful for their club. They said they would. I offered to give the bike and they accepted the bike. Within a month I was in buying a first bike for a child. I mentioned I gave away the bike to their club, hoping I would get some discount or a free whatever with purchase of a new bike. I got no discount or free whatever in the purchase.
    My last occurrence was I decided to go back commuting via bike this year. I dug up a 15 year old bike. So before I used it in a real commute I thought I might get it serviced before hand to see was it okay. I reluctantly cycled it slowly to Staggs. I noticed the back break was very noisy and I mention that to the shop when I got it serviced. After a while they gave the bike back to me with new break pads. I was surprised it was not in anyway cleaner than when I gave it to them and the gear changing was still as reluctant as before but I was even more surprised when varying screws in the bike became loose within a week or noticing that one of the front break pads was set completely incorrectly. Maybe I misunderstand what bicycle service is, but at the very least I would have thought noticing the front break pad was incorrect was key.
    So for me Staggs did not give good service or try to maintain customer loyalty.
    I am sorry if this offends Stagg customers as I yet to see anyone on the net saying anything bad about them. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

BostonB wrote: »
    That the main problem with staggs. Its usually packed.

Could be that I was lucky.
    I had an appointment today for collection and fitting of my bike so obviously that helped. The guy was saying that they have been flat out with the bike to work scheme for the past year or two. I can see how that might annoy the folk who have been spending big bucks in there for years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its just no longer the place to pop in and ask a question, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

milltown wrote: »
    Zombie thread but similar story here and a +1 for Stagg's.
    Had tried a few shops, hadn't found a lot of variation in price, but Stagg's were the first shop that seemed interested in what I wanted and needed, rather than just selling another unit. They were upfront about how they lost a percentage of the voucher price to cyclescheme.ie but offered me a very good deal on everything else I bought.

Sorry to say that every time I went in to Wheelworx, I spent about 10 minutes wandering around looking lost. Each time, I walked out again without exchanging a word with any of the (many) staff, who seemed more interested in either chatting to each other, or crowding around one customer (who I presume to be a known €5k bike rider). A bloody shame really, because it's a lot handier for me than Stagg's on the other side of the DC.

The sign of a good (bike) shop is that you can browse all you like without someone pestering you for a sale.

You're not a child, If you want help, ask for it! The people in wheelworx are very friendly and knowledgeable, you just didn't give them a chance.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kinnari

Worldwide cycles in Clonmel, great service from Barry and Ray.

chakattack wrote: »
    The sign of a good (bike) shop is that you can browse all you like without someone pestering you for a sale.

You're not a child, If you want help, ask for it! The people in wheelworx are very friendly and knowledgeable, you just didn't give them a chance.....

Touchy!

I disagree actually. The sign of any good shop in my opinion is staff who acknowledge a customer and offer their help. If help is not required straight away then leave them the fcuk alone.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,322 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In my view the sign of a good shop, and in particular good shop staff, is being able to suss out how the customer wants to be treated, as let's face it we're all different;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Nice service from ThinkBike in Rathmines this week. I dropped in early with problems with the extender on my headset coming loose. He spent about 10 minutes working on it to tighten it up, and wouldn't take any money for it. I'll definitely be heading back there for my next paying job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Mr Blah wrote: »
    I must say I appear to the only person who has got a different experience with Staggs that every one else.
    I bought a Trek commuter bike 11 years ago in Staggs. I got a good deal then as they were trying to dump the bike. It cost me circa £800 and the most expensive mode of transport I have ever purchased. I loved the bike. Then I had a very bad accident and I gave up cycling. After 9 years in the shed I decided to bring the impacted bike to Staggs to see was it usable. After a week I came back and they said they could not clarify the frame was safe. So thinking I would never cycle again and the bike had relatively good components I asked do you have a cycle club. They said they did. I said would the components of the bike be useful for their club. They said they would. I offered to give the bike and they accepted the bike. Within a month I was in buying a first bike for a child. I mentioned I gave away the bike to their club, hoping I would get some discount or a free whatever with purchase of a new bike. I got no discount or free whatever in the purchase.
    My last occurrence was I decided to go back commuting via bike this year. I dug up a 15 year old bike. So before I used it in a real commute I thought I might get it serviced before hand to see was it okay. I reluctantly cycled it slowly to Staggs. I noticed the back break was very noisy and I mention that to the shop when I got it serviced. After a while they gave the bike back to me with new break pads. I was surprised it was not in anyway cleaner than when I gave it to them and the gear changing was still as reluctant as before but I was even more surprised when varying screws in the bike became loose within a week or noticing that one of the front break pads was set completely incorrectly. Maybe I misunderstand what bicycle service is, but at the very least I would have thought noticing the front break pad was incorrect was key.
    So for me Staggs did not give good service or try to maintain customer loyalty.
    I am sorry if this offends Stagg customers as I yet to see anyone on the net saying anything bad about them. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

Sorry I don't mean to pick apart your post but I thought I'd highlight a few comments I noticed. You gave a shop a bike for parts then weeks later received no discount on a kids bike you bought. Discounts and free stuff aren't an entitlement and certainly not worth complaining about. I don't even get a free extra filling in my sambo in Spar but I can't complain about it!!

You cycled your bike into the bike shop and told them you were having brake problems which they fixed and replace the pads and you complain here that they didn't fix the other stuff?! I don't understand, they did what you asked, non? Oh and bike shops don't clean bikes, that's your job! I think you are expecting too much.

Oh I have no affiliation to Stagg, in fact never been in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Worldwide in Clonmel is great. Bought two bikes from them and very happy with price and service.
    Stagg - a hoky pokey little place. Bought a bike from them. Treated very well - they also did some mechanical work on different bikes. Good guys, but shop is too small/badly laid out.
    Wheelworx - in there twice. Not my bag. Big and vacuous. Not very helpful.
    Cycleogical - I like this place (or used to when I lived in Dublin). Bought tubes, tyres, lube etc etc from there. They always give a discount to me (I dont know why). Guys seem very friendly and chatty.
    Cycleways - depends on who you get. Some guys are very nice and helpful, some guys less so. Mechanics are good and price is keen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr Blah

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Sorry I don't mean to pick apart your post but I thought I'd highlight a few comments I noticed. You gave a shop a bike for parts then weeks later received no discount on a kids bike you bought. Discounts and free stuff aren't an entitlement and certainly not worth complaining about. I don't even get a free extra filling in my sambo in Spar but I can't complain about it!!

You cycled your bike into the bike shop and told them you were having brake problems which they fixed and replace the pads and you complain here that they didn't fix the other stuff?! I don't understand, they did what you asked, non? Oh and bike shops don't clean bikes, that's your job! I think you are expecting too much.

Oh I have no affiliation to Stagg, in fact never been in it.

Sorry let me clarify, I was comparing my experience with Staggs to the chap who purchased a bike in Staggs as well. When he purchased a bike he was given free additional items. As I said I had previously bought a bike there and given them a bike and yet I got nothing for my loyalty when I purchased another bike. Comparing to the other Stagg customer my customer loyalty was worthless. In addition I personally could not compare buying a sambo in spar to purchasing a bike. A sambo is small item while a purchasing a bicycle is a major event for me. I like to think I would be treated well when buying one. I have been in a few shops recently to consider buying a new bike and it has been said that they could give give something with the possible purchase.

As regards the other point. As I said in my original post I left my bike to be serviced. I mentioned on putting the bike in that the back break noise was excessive. For the week and half wait for the bike to be serviced all I got was a back break pad replacement. Nothing else that I could notice. Then after using the bike I noticed I had an incorrect front break pad alignment, nothing cleaned, gears did not change correctly and a few loose screws. I would have though that servicing a bike would involved making sure the gears, breaks and general bike was working correctly. But I may be incorrect with that assumption. BTWthe back break still gives an excessive noise when used.
    I too am not associated with any bike shop and some of these things happened over years ago. I am merely responding to my experiences to Stagg cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jameswburke

If you are in Carlow, Kilkenny, or nearby, try www.outdoorfun.ie which sell a big range of good bikes. We've had adults bikes from them and they do repairs - essential after hedge cutters leave a trail of wooden splinters all over the road...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Cycle superstore in Tallaght is my current favorite (I change my mind a lot) Went in for a large Allen Key at only €4.50 it was a euro cheaper than most other places. I would never ask for a loyalty discount on something so small but he insisted so it was €4.10 plus he only asked for the 4.00!! I felt that he really went out of his way to be nice. Also when I expressed surprise that they were showing the racing he told me to go over make a cup of coffee, sit on the sofa and watch it for a while. My girlfriend would never do that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

happytramp wrote: »
    Cycle superstore in Tallaght is my current favorite (I change my mind a lot) Went in for a large Allen Key at only €4.50 it was a euro cheaper than most other places. I would never ask for a loyalty discount on something so small but he insisted so it was €4.10 plus he only asked for the 4.00!! I felt that he really went out of his way to be nice. Also when I expressed surprise that they were showing the racing he told me to go over make a cup of coffee, sit on the sofa and watch it for a while. My girlfriend would never do that!!

Wait until you're married. You're on the stopwatch in a bike shop! Maybe bacause the longer I browse the more likely to spend our wee boys shoe money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

happytramp wrote: »

I could have written this post! Same thing happened to me with the same allen key! Only I don't drink coffee and there was no racing on that day.

BikeHub in Howth have been good any time I've been out. They're a bit out of my way (I'm in D3) but I've been burned by a few local places.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

i have had good experience with Chain Reaction Cycles in Belfast on Boucher Road,

Also Cycle Surgery in Dundrum, they do a great bike service!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Think Bike in Rathmines is definitely my favourite, slightly more expensive than some but still the best by far in my experience. McDonalds and The Bike Shop in Wexford get honorable mention too.

Advertisement