Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronan Collins Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

Carol Moran was very good when she used to fill in for Ronan. Doesn't seem to have been on much lately though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Anyone listen to Keith Walsh today ? I didn't.

Today, Keith played the staple song all fill-in presenters seem to play on Irish radio at least - Elbow's One day like this :rolleyes:

Then they back announce it and say "I haven't heard that song on the radio in ages" :o (even though it is never off the radio!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like Ronan will take a bit of replacing when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

padd b1975 wrote: »

Hopefully soon. :eek:

padd b1975 wrote: »

That's a bit controversial here. Some of us are of the opinion that Spotify's "shuffle" feature has already been doing the job competently for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

What age is Ronan anyway? Must be close to 65 so may have to retire soon. Heard Mary Kennedy on Ray D#Arcy last week and think she is a great presenter with a great radio voice (although have never watched Nationwide) and she is being forced to retire soon.

Saw Ronan at the Brendan Grace tribute in the Olympia and he was very good and saw him later in Burdocks buying chips. Although people slag him on here I think he is a very good presenter for what he does although he does have a very handy number/ Any idea how much he is paid?

Conor84 wrote: »
    What age is Ronan anyway? Must be close to 65 so may have to retire soon.

He is a freelancer so does not have to retire when he reaches 65

Yesterday keith read out a text from a listener telling him to stop playing 'Disco' music and instead play older stuff..

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Oct 52, so he's 66 and going strong.

Are you sure RC is a freelancer?

I'm not sure if RTE still has 65 as a mandatory age of retirement.

https://www.graphitehrm.com/mandatory-retirement-risks/
    In Valerie Cox v RTÉ, the WRC ordered RTÉ to award €50,000 to Ms. Cox. RTÉ argued that it had a legitimate interest in ‘ensuring the progress of younger members of staff and for the rotation of staff’. RTE also argued that the retirement age of 65 was contained within the employee handbook.
    The WRC heard that Ms Cox had two contracts of employment, one full-time and one casual that rostered her for one week in every six. She was notified on reaching the retirement age of 65 in March 2016 that she would remain on the roster under the casual contract but only after a period of time had elapsed after her retirement from the full-time role. In December 2016, RTÉ told Ms Cox that her casual contract had been terminated. The WRC heard that two employees over the age of 65 were employed on the programme. Ms Cox applied for an extension to the casual contract but did not receive a response.
    In its adjudication, the WRC stated that the employee handbook provided for working beyond the age of 65 ‘at least in relation to this category of employee’, that there was no retirement age contained in the employment contract and that RTÉ had failed to objectively justify the particular retirement age.

• Advertisement

after all the fuss above, Cox had no issue being on the S O'R show yesterday plugging her new book.

Also her son is Aonghus Cox

The Gift that keeps on giving......

after all the fuss above, Cox had no issue being on the S O'R show yesterday plugging her new book.

Also her son is Aonghus Cox
    She was interviewed by Seán O'Rourke shortly after that WRC finding against RTÉ, talking about the whole thing. Quite a frank interview about her complaints with RTÉ, too.

She was interviewed by Seán O'Rourke shortly after that WRC finding against RTÉ, talking about the whole thing. Quite a frank interview about her complaints with RTÉ, too.

a woman I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of. unlikeable.

Are you sure RC is a freelancer?

I'm not sure if RTE still has 65 as a mandatory age of retirement.

https://www.graphitehrm.com/mandatory-retirement-risks/
    In Valerie Cox v RTÉ, the WRC ordered RTÉ to award €50,000 to Ms. Cox. RTÉ argued that it had a legitimate interest in ‘ensuring the progress of younger members of staff and for the rotation of staff’. RTE also argued that the retirement age of 65 was contained within the employee handbook.
    The WRC heard that Ms Cox had two contracts of employment, one full-time and one casual that rostered her for one week in every six. She was notified on reaching the retirement age of 65 in March 2016 that she would remain on the roster under the casual contract but only after a period of time had elapsed after her retirement from the full-time role. In December 2016, RTÉ told Ms Cox that her casual contract had been terminated. The WRC heard that two employees over the age of 65 were employed on the programme. Ms Cox applied for an extension to the casual contract but did not receive a response.
    In its adjudication, the WRC stated that the employee handbook provided for working beyond the age of 65 ‘at least in relation to this category of employee’, that there was no retirement age contained in the employment contract and that RTÉ had failed to objectively justify the particular retirement age.

Presume someone in HR was dismissed?

a woman I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of. unlikeable.

Surprised to hear anyone say that about a woman who volunteers to work in squats and homeless shelters and refugee camps, when she has.no need to.

I don't know her, but she'd be fairly well known in the horse world too. Can't say better than that in my book. She seems like a sound egg in every way, as far as I can see.

the horse world??

Great to have Ronan back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Great to have Ronan back

Kicking off with Huey Lewis And The News too :o:)

Seems like Ray D'Arcy was in early today to give the lads a hand with the handover between Ronan Collins and the News at One

• Advertisement

Conor84 wrote: »
    Seems like Ray D'Arcy was in early today to give the lads a hand with the handover between Ronan Collins and the News at One

what happened?

Well Ronan "mis timed" the ad break and had to come back and fill in for another minute after previously signing off. Then the time signal and News at 1 intro played together. Just another day in the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Is this his full time job? Just one or two hours a day? What does he do the rest of the time? Surely it's hardly worth the money?

bobbyss wrote: »
    Is this his full time job? Just one or two hours a day? What does he do the rest of the time? Surely it's hardly worth the money?

Plenty of gigs around and about, y’know doing this and that, and so on and so forth:cool::cool:

Plenty of gigs around and about, y’know doing this and that, and so on and so forth

Yes there's all that stuff but it's a strange career choice to work with one company for one hour a day. How much could he possibly earn a day with RTE? €100?

Yes there's all that stuff but it's a strange career choice to work with one company for one hour a day. How much could he possibly earn a day with RTE? €100?

A lot more, however why he really does it is the exposure, which is catch all for the other gigs.

One hour a day in charge of the mic on the Premier Station.

That’s worth a lot of shekels.

A lot more, however why he really does it is the exposure, which is catch all for the other gigs.

One hour a day in charge of the mic on the Premier Station.

That’s worth a lot of shekels.

Yeah. Am aware of how beneficial exposure would be . But i never hear anything about him outside if RTE. Where are all these gigs and so on?

I just heard him today for the first time in years and i was struck with how old fashioned the whole programme seemed to be . The music was of yesteryear. Did I hear Dickie Rock or Paddy Cole? Probably not but you know what i mean. (Old buddies and all of that).

Then of course he was playing 'requests'.

Seemed like I was listening to someone kind of stuck in the past. Someone who has not done much with their career.

Yeah. Am aware of how beneficial exposure would be . But i never hear anything about him outside if RTE. Where are all these gigs and so on?

I just heard him today for the first time in years and i was struck with how old fashioned the whole programme seemed to be . The music was of yesteryear. Did I hear Dickie Rock or Paddy Cole? Probably not but you know what i mean. (Old buddies and all of that).

Then of course he was playing 'requests'.

Seemed like I was listening to someone kind of stuck in the past. Someone who has not done much with their career.

You are playing my tune, dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I can take or leave the show. It's a nice oasis in the middle of all the misery. Although he can play some dated stuff he often throws up a few nice surprises, depending who died or was born on any given day. Not as much Frank and Deano these days which is no bad thing, then again there's still an age group out there who like it. Can't please 'em all.

You have to love the little subliminal ads for gigs.

"That was Neil Diamond and it was requested by Mary from Clontarf who's going to see Neil play in the Three Arena from the 4th to the 6th of next month."

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote:
    You have to love the little subliminal ads for gigs.

sligojoek wrote:
    "That was Neil Diamond and it was requested by Mary from Clontarf who's going to see Neil play in the Three Arena from the 4th to the 6th of next month."

I rhought you were going to say subliminal gigs for himself.
    But why would he be plugging anyone? Surely it doesn't matter to him if anyone ( including Mary) attends the gig or not?

I rhought you were going to say subliminal gigs for himself.
    But why would he be plugging anyone? Surely it doesn't matter to him if anyone ( including Mary) attends the gig or not?

Actually, I think it’s very helpful to have that sort of information from Ronan, or anybody else. I’ve booked tickets to gigs a number of times thanks to a mention by a presenter, especially Lilian Smith (who has a great show on weekend mornings incidentally)

Actually, I think it’s very helpful to have that sort of information from Ronan, or anybody else. I’ve booked tickets to gigs a number of times thanks to a mention by a presenter, especially Lilian Smith (who has a great show on weekend mornings incidentally)

I can't stand Smirh as she's over the top with requests. I wonder if presenters get anything extra for promoting artists?

Lookit.... Aiken Promotions are probably one of the biggest ad accounts in Rte Radio.

There are plenty of plugs for their(and other)gigs on almost every show, apart from current affairs.

That’s how stuff works, it’s called ‘greasing the wheels’.

Have to say I like Lillian Smith, nice relaxed presentation, nice accent, don’t hear her too much but would have no complaints.

Where did they get that dude, Cullum O Mungáin’ as he calls himself.

Is he not Colm O’Mongáin.... grinds my gears big time.

Have to say I like Lillian Smith, nice relaxed presentation, nice accent, don’t hear her too much but would have no complaints.

She's always making reference rhat she's broadcasting from Cork city. Who cares where she is? A touch of the provincial about her. No thanks. And all those requests.

She's always making reference rhat she's broadcasting from Cork city. Who cares where she is? A touch of the provincial about her. No thanks. And all those requests.

Ok..... still find her fine for that hour of the morning.

But... we won’t quibble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That's an RTE thing. They all do it when not in Dublin. Ray Darcy always makes a big thing about telling us what number studio he's in.

The Cork city studios are under threat of closure and sale, so maybe she's saying it even more now

Just a heads up.... Mr Bland is on for the usual 2 hours of a Monday, as he has been for the last couple of hundred and so Holidays.

The Brenner will avoid, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just a heads up.... Mr Bland is on for the usual 2 hours of a Monday, as he has been for the last couple of hundred and so Holidays.

The Brenner will avoid, as usual.

Have to say I wont. I enjoy RC. He doesn't try to prove anything, unlike the 'stars' in rte. Hes done it,and just entertains most of his audience

Have to say I wont. I enjoy RC. He doesn't try to prove anything, unlike the 'stars' in rte. Hes done it,and just entertains most of his audience

Hope you enjoy, each to his/her own as the saying goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Lots of good music from Ronan today, he can be a bit naff, but I enjoyed todays selection. Maybe two hours gives him more freedom to choose.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Lots of good music from Ronan today, he can be a bit naff, but I enjoyed todays selection. Maybe two hours gives him more freedom to choose.

Shay Byrne is the only naff presenter on Radio 1

I might be a bit odd (no comments, please!) but I generally enjoy Ronan Collins, he's got a good radio persona, he plays a wide variety of stuff and doesn't seem to be overly limited to some sort of centrally determined playlist. He is respectful of the Angelus, Nuacht and seems to run a pretty good ship.

I might be a bit odd (no comments, please!) but I generally enjoy Ronan Collins, he's got a good radio persona, he plays a wide variety of stuff and doesn't seem to be overly limited to some sort of centrally determined playlist. He is respectful of the Angelus, Nuacht and seems to run a pretty good ship.

Like everything about the bould Ronan it’s repetitious, stale, predictable.

I mean for how long is he wheeled it to pro is the same sing-song patter on a BHM (bank holiday Monday)

For two foohhherking hours.

Jaysus... would anyone in D4 think or suggest its time for a frikking change.

Cannot get a handle on that way of thinking.... other than the grunts accept it, we will keep feeding them shooyte.

other than the grunts accept it

I must be a happy grunt, then. Oh what a pity; never mind

I mean for how long is he wheeled it to pro is the same sing-song patter on a BHM (bank holiday Monday)

For two foohhherking hours.

Jaysus... would anyone in D4 think or suggest its time for a frikking change.

Cannot get a handle on that way of thinking.... other than the grunts accept it, we will keep feeding them shooyte.

do you prefer the terrible neil doherty for a bank holiday or on a saturday evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Enjoyed the two hours today.Some good tunes played on a long drive.

Repetitious? Stale? Predictable?

Surely you are referring to Bowman on Sunday? Tiring. Tiring. Tiring.

I wouldn't mind but i have great time for him personally. He's bright and articulate. And modest too. But he needs to lose that programme.

However, I digress . This thread is about... . Who ? What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Enjoyed the two hours today.Some good tunes played on a long drive.

Did he play Alice's Restaurant?

It used to be an annual event back in the day when he had the Mooney/D'Arcy slot.
    Sadly its in dry dock since his show was cut to an hour.

do you prefer the terrible neil doherty for a bank holiday or on a saturday evening?

To be honest, they should just change something, anything, just try something different... for a change.

I emphasize by the way the criticism is probably more against RTe than Ronan, who I’m sure is a very nice person.

Smacks of lazy programming to be adopting the same tired formula for decades.

In my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement