Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

The Nal wrote: »
    Worst - Radiohead, Marley Park, 2006
    That was one of the greatest gig's iv ever been to.

First: Witnness 2001 remember seeing Placebo and the stereophonics I was only fifteen.

Best: Glastonbury 2011 BB Knig, Rdaiohead, The Bees, QOTSA, to name a few highlights.

Worst: Toots and the Maytals Electric Picnic, Was really looking forward to this and I know its not his fault his voice was fecked, but I stood around listing to his daughter for twenty minutes before he came on and then another ten befor any explanation was givin, there where other acts I missed because of this and I was not happy. Sorry, end of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Worst: Toots and the Maytals Electric Picnic

Saw him in Glastonbury 2010 and its one of the best gigs Ive ever seen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

First: Foo Fighters @ The Point in 2002 (or was it 2001?)
    Best: Either Trivium with Gojira in 2007, or Trivium with Rise to Remain in 2008 at the Ambassador. I bloody love that venue.
    Worst: Hmm hard to say as I have never really been to an overly bad concert, might have to put down RHCP 2011 as I went on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Achtung!

First Christy Moore

Best: Oasis at Slane or U2 Croke Park..

Worst: Glasvegas at Slane, simply horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

First: Our Lady Peace supporting Avril Lavinge at the Point Depo, 2003. It turns out this happened because Avril Lavinge's tour manager was OLP frontman's wife

Best: Very hard to choose. David Lee Roth in Vicar St in Apr/May 2004 springs to mind as just a phenomenal gig. Also Faith No More at Edinburgh Corn Exchange in 2009. Also Kid Rock in Ontario, Canada, in Sep 2003. And I also saw Luciano Pavarotti in Dublin less than a year before he died....he was fairly decent for what he did.

Worst: Probably a gig I worked security on, an Erasure tribute act at the Ambassador sometime around the close of 2006 if memory serves me correctly. I had to "guard" the fire exit next to the stage on the ground floor and could see the audience...about 10 people if you were lucky (absolutely no joke)...I'd never seen such a lowly attended gig in such a big venue. Absolutely disgraceful and they should have called it off, except they put so much faith into ticket sales at the door.

If we're going with a gig I attended myself, by choice, then Razorlight supporting Bon Jovi at Punchestown....absolutely appalling...one of the worst displays I've ever seen from a band and just had no pride in what they were doing. Especially after such a phenomenal performance from Kid Rock opening that day.

• Advertisement

Achtung! wrote: »
    Worst: Glasvegas at Slane, simply horrible

Actually Ill change my worst ever to that. Saw them at Glastonbury in 09 before the Prodigy. Just the worst, dullest most boring gig Ive ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Actually Ill change my worst ever to that. Saw them at Glastonbury in 09 before the Prodigy. Just the worst, dullest most boring gig Ive ever seen.
    Had the misfortune of seeing them twice, supporting Muse and Oasis. Awful, awful band

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

First: Oasis/Travis @ The Point (Dec 1997) - Liam pulled out with a 'sore throat' 30 mins before the gig, but was up in the nosebleeds drinking and smoking. D*ckhead

Best: Muse in the Button Factory/Temple Bar Music Centre - They were supporting Elastica, there was about 40 people there, and it was one of those 'Road to Damascus' revelations. I'd never seen anything like it before, never seen anyone play guitar before and I was just in complete awe. Think they got an 11 song set, first time they ever played Plug In Baby live too. One of the greatest nights of my life thus far!

Worst: Probably Oasis at Lansdowne Road, July 2000. Awful, awful gig. Crap sound, the brothers weren't speaking and the set list was rubbish. Supergrass supporting weren't bad, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

First - Bon Jovi, RDS Indoors 1988...full on permfest.

Best - Neil Young, Point Depot 2001....epic. Springsteen, Madison Square Gardens 2000....41 shots and police officers turning their back to the stage when it was played, tense. Ryan Adams, The Shelter, Dublin 2001....I've seen him 20+ times and none even come close to this one. Jimmy Barnes, Olympia 1993...my ears are still ringing. Kathleen Edwards, Whelans.

Worst - Badly Drawn Boy in the Olympia 2000 or 2001....rubbish. He was pissed, went to the bar after a couple of songs. Jakob Dylan...just boring. Guns N'Roses, Slane...best part of the gig was the roadies playing Metallicas "Black' album while we waited for them to come on stage.

perrier wrote: »
    Springsteen, Madison Square Gardens 2000....41 shots and police officers turning their back to the stage when it was played, tense.

Wow never knew that. Is that the one that was released on dvd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Wow never knew that. Is that the one that was released on dvd?

Yes, he played it for the first time a couple of nights earlier in Atlanta. By the time he got to New York, the Police Officers Union were up in arms about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

First: Boyzone, aged 10, friend had a spare ticket - hated it :D

Worst: Off the top of my head, Radiohead at Malahide Castle, 2008 was disappointing. Not really their fault, but it lashed the whole time, we were miles back so couldn't hear much, friend was upset about something, wasn't mad about the support (bat for lashes) and had to leave early so missed some classics.

Best: Either Ash/The Hives/Muse at Dublin Castle 2002 (First gig without the grown ups, great lineup) or Creature with the Atom Brain/Eagles of Death Metal/ Queens of the Stone age in Berlin in 2008. Doesn't seem that long ago!Still get giddy at the memory of those two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

First: Red Hot Chili Peppers, QoTa, Foo Fighters - Slane 2003

Best: Radiohead, Malahide 2008 or Arcade Fire December 2010 at O2

Worst:Stereophonics, INEC Killarney maybe 3 years ago?? Free tickets though so cant complain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

First: Boyzone, aged 10, friend had a spare ticket - hated it :D

Worst: Off the top of my head, Radiohead at Malahide Castle, 2008 was disappointing. Not really their fault, but it lashed the whole time, we were miles back so couldn't hear much, friend was upset about something, wasn't mad about the support (bat for lashes) and had to leave early so missed some classics.

Radiohead were worse than Boyzone:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That was one of the greatest gig's iv ever been to.

First: Witnness 2001 remember seeing Placebo and the stereophonics I was only fifteen.

Best: Glastonbury 2011 BB Knig, Rdaiohead, The Bees, QOTSA, to name a few highlights.

Worst: Toots and the Maytals Electric Picnic, Was really looking forward to this and I know its not his fault his voice was fecked, but I stood around listing to his daughter for twenty minutes before he came on and then another ten befor any explanation was givin, there where other acts I missed because of this and I was not happy. Sorry, end of rant.

Toots performance at EP 2005 was the complete opposite. it was a revelation.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

karaokeman wrote: »
    Radiohead were worse than Boyzone:confused::confused::confused:

Ha I don't even count Boyzone! Anyway that had the benefit of being new and exciting. Remember, I was 10....

...oh and glow sticks! Loved the glow sticks. So yeah worse band obviously, but better experience at the time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

FIRST:
    Queen, RDS, 1979

BEST:
    Loads of Great Gigs come to mind. (to name a few in no particular order)

Roger Waters
    Alice Cooper
    David Bowie
    Billy Idol
    Erasure
    BabyShambles
    BB King
    My Chemical Romance
    GreenDay
    Queen
    Cat Stevens
    Aslan
    P!nk
    Depeche Mode
    Dr. Feelgood
    HomeSick and the Backstabbers (anyone remember them)
    Enter Shikari
    Neil Young
    Noisettes

and many many more.

However....

Worse:
    Bob Dylan, O2, 2009
    U2, RDS, Zoo Tour.

My parents were at that Queen show in 79. They still like to rub it in whenever a Queen song comes on. That's a fantastic first gig to have! Start as you mean to go on and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

first:aerosmith with golden earring
    best:queen
    worst:REM, although I love REM, they were off that night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

First:
    U2 - Zoo TV Tour Pairc Ui Caoimh 1993

Best:
    Eddie Vedder - Point - 2017

Worst:
    Christine and The Queens - Glastonbury 2016 (It was pi$$ing rain and we had shelter so we had to stay. What a stunningly annoying person)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

First:

Westlife 2002 in The Point.

Best:
    Torn between The Libertines in the 3Arena in 2015 or Green Day in Marlay Park in 2010.

Worst:

Pete Doherty 2 week ago in The Academy. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

First- Oxegen 2007 (Snow Patrol were headliners the day I was there)

Best- been too so many and most were good in there own ways. Rush in the o2 in 2011 was amazing. Bruce Springsteen Kilkenny, Metallica in Glasgow 2017, Aerosmith 3arena 2017, Rolling Stones Croke Park 2018 too name a few

Worst- Sweet Savage in 2010 supporting Iron Maiden pure **** they replaced Heaven and Hell after they had too pull out. Guns N Rose's o2 2010 just cause of all the ****e that went on. The Academic supporting Rolling Stones in Croke Park in 2018 really out of place

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

First- U2 Croke Park 1985, In Tua Nua, Squeeze, REM, The Alarm supported- I was in awe of U2, superb start to 30+ years of gigs.

Best- BellX1 and Dowry Strings in Wexford this February, it was the most stunning performance ever.
    The strings accompaniment just made it sublime.

Worst.
    The Police Croke Park 2007.
    Little if any interaction with the crowd, was like being in a field with my tape recorder and a few tapes from the 80s.
    Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

First: Alanis Morrisette in the point as part of the short lived indoor Feile! Brilliant gig

Best: Rage against the machine in both the 3 arena and Oxygen 08. Some show.

Worst: Tie between Bob Dylan in Kilkenny in 03 ish? and Van Morrison in the Olympia in about 02. Huge fan of both, but sweet Jesus, they are brutal live

First: Buddy Guy in the National Stadium 1993

Best: Bowie 2003 in the Point, Nine Inch Nails Mad Cool 2018, Springsteen RDS 2003, Flaming Lips Vicar St 2006, Violent Femmes Vicar St 2007, Rolling Stones Glastonbury 2013. Too many more to mention really.

Worst: Radiohead 2006 Marley Park, Iron Maiden 2005 RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

First and best- A day at the races 1979 featuring Phil Lynnot, Paul Brady, Rory Gallagher and a young but impressive U2. Fundraiser for Hot Press.

Worst- Katy Perry's wailing at Oxygen about 10 years ago. Truly awful. The Ting Tings wiped the floor with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

First - Sum41 in The Point, 2003

Best - Pendulum, Birmingham 2010

Worst - Bullet For My Valentine, Manchester 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

First - Phonics or FLC in the Olympia maybe around 98/99

Best - There have been quite a few, I'll go with a weird one for the sheer unexpected entertainment and fun that was had. We Are Scientists @ The Village iirc. I think we got free tickets so I just went along. Absolutely cracking gig.

Worst - Bruce @ Croker, the gig may have been good, I just couldn't hear it properly sitting upper tier Cusack at about half way line. The wife was quite heavily preggers so we had to get seated tickets, first and last time I ever will at a gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

First: Slane 99

Best: Paul McCartney, 3Arena, 2009

Worst: Blink 182, 3Arena, 2003ish

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    Best: Paul McCartney 3Arena 2009

That gig was sooo good.

Look at this for a setlist.

Good lord.

Advertisement