Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Stillill42

My brother was at it. I was not. The big regret of my gig-going life. He still talks about in hushed tones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I would love if despacio came back

You Misspelled Robyn there Evie Slimy Talc! ;)

Fatfrog wrote: »
    You Misspelled Robyn there Evie Slimy Talc! ;)

Very true....I’m doing reverse psychology on Robyn for next year though!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭rubick

I would love if despacio came back

Ah, what a tent to dip in and out of. The amount of 12" records on the table at the front for the start of the set was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Davysulls86

Ireland really does lack an outlet for metal fans when it comes to festivals and big outdoor events, doesn't it?

I remember when I was a teenager, plenty of my friends heading to Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc in big outdoor shows. I know there are plenty of smaller shows and really active venues, promoters and bands in a pretty vibrant scene here, but there's a real gap (as far as I can see) when it comes to big outdoor shows, festivals, etc.

If System are just doing festivals next summer, as has been suggested, they'll likely miss out on Ireland entirely - it's hard to see Forbidden Fruit, Longitude, ATN or EP booking them!

But a well priced, one off show with a solid support bill in Kilmainham or Malahide or something would attract a crowd, I would think.

Download 2020 is taking place in June. There's surely 4/5 bands from that that an Irish promoter could slice off to package as a one-day festival in Dublin, right?

I mean, the 2019 bill has a heap of bands that you know would draw a crowd here - the Sunday alone had Tool, the Smashing Pumpkins, Lamb of God, Slayer, Dreamtheatre, etc.

I'm not too up to speed with modern metal but it looks like a no brainer if you ask me...

I'm not a metal head by any stretch of the imagination, but in saying that, I do enjoy a potentially lethal mosh pit from time to time. Who doesn't?! Rage Against the Machine at Oxegen are still my top 5 festival sets of all time... I still get aches and pains thinking about it.
    I would like if a few "heavier" bands played EP, but I'm also realistic enough to know that the demographic isn't there for organisers to justify booking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So hands up who was there at that Arcade Fire EP gig in 2005? �� Anseo

What a performance. I was front middle about 5 rowa back from barrier. I'll never ever forget them lining up for Wake Up as their opening tune and then the crowds reaction when they started. It was the definition of a heaving tent. Crowd were swaying unontrollably it was so packed. Condensation dripping from the tent roof. Great times

Was on the left about fifteen rows back. My pal turned around after they'd started with Wake Up and asked whether they'd blown it by peaking too early. Not a chance. They looked dumbfounded as the crowd were roaring back every lyric to every track. They'd had great audiences throughout Europe but that looked like the moment they knew they'd made it. They played a couple of tracks from their EP that I didn't know but everybody else did. Every track was astonishing and I don't think anyone equalled them until the Cure in 2012.

I've caught them a few times since but nothing ever matched that intensity, though pals who went to the first night of the Neon Bible tour at the Olympia in 2007 said that it was as good as the EP show. I think they arrived very late off a flight, apologised and then blew the roof off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

So hands up who was there at that Arcade Fire EP gig in 2005? �� Anseo

What a performance. I was front middle about 5 rowa back from barrier. I'll never ever forget them lining up for Wake Up as their opening tune and then the crowds reaction when they started. It was the definition of a heaving tent. Crowd were swaying unontrollably it was so packed. Condensation dripping from the tent roof. Great times

Aaaargh ... I was with a bunch of mates and we dropped in for the start .. I was all "this is going to be good, let's stay here" ... I was outvoted and we went to see something on the main stage ... one of my biggest regrets is not saying "nah, I will catch you all up later, I am staying here". Since then I have a different (aka selfish) strategy when it comes to this sort of thing.

This is all before my festival-going career started - always assumed Arcade Fire were on the Main Stage - I take it they were in the Electric Arena? Glad to see staunch Boardsie Representation for such a momentous event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ah yes what a set that was. I there were a couple of technical issues early on in the set and the crowd got so pissed off, I was afraid they would riot for a second. Luckily they sorted it out, I remember the opening riff for "sleep now in the fire" so vividly. Tom Morello was fantastic. I also distinctly remember hearing "love is in the air" played over the PA once the set was over to calm the crowd down. It worked! I found myself and many others singing along, it was surreal!

• Advertisement

rubick wrote: »
    This is all before my festival-going career started - always assumed Arcade Fire were on the Main Stage - I take it they were in the Electric Arena? Glad to see staunch Boardsie Representation for such a momentous event!

Yeah, about 6pm. Preceded by Goldfrapp and followed by Royksopp and Kraftwerk. That tent never had it so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Yeah, about 6pm. Preceded by Goldfrapp and followed by Royksopp and Kraftwerk. That tent never had it so good.

Je-sus! What a night!

T-SHIRT WATCH

Popped up on my Facebook feed this morning that St. Etienne are touring again. What a Body & Soul draw that would be!
    https://saintetienne.greedbag.com/dept/~t-shirts-23/

Je-sus! What a night!

Also with Doves & The Flaming Lips on the main stage. Though I was far too wasted for the later acts. My first ever day at EP & the excitement took over.

T-SHIRT WATCH

Popped up on my Facebook feed this morning that St. Etienne are touring again. What a Body & Soul draw that would be!

Odd that they've never played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

T-SHIRT WATCH

oooh, Sarah, sweet sweet Sarah....

So, to give some life to the thread in the absence of second announcements, ticket issues and weather updates how about resurrecting the annual debate on greatest ever EP gigs?

Seems to be consensus on Arcade Fire 2005. There are a few obvious ones that I missed - Beastie Boys in 2007 (in fairness I was at the Jesus & Mary Chain's comeback) and Chic's Irish debut in the Electric Arena in 2009.

Other nominations:

My Bloody Valentine 2008
    The Cure 2012
    Mercury Rev 2005
    John Grant 2013
    David Byrne & St. Vincent 2013
    LCD Soundsystem 2016 (the best of their four performances I reckon)
    That Petrol Emotion 2008
    Pet Shop Boys 2006
    Steve Earle 2010
    Grandaddy 2012
    Magazine 2009
    The Strokes 2019

And many many more. Any input?

So, to give some life to the thread in the absence of second announcements, ticket issues and weather updates how about resurrecting the annual debate on greatest ever EP gigs?

Seems to be consensus on Arcade Fire 2005. There are a few obvious ones that I missed - Beastie Boys in 2007 (in fairness I was at the Jesus & Mary Chain's comeback) and Chic's Irish debut in the Electric Arena in 2009.

Other nominations:

My Bloody Valentine 2008
    The Cure 2012
    Mercury Rev 2005
    John Grant 2013
    David Byrne & St. Vincent 2013
    LCD Soundsystem 2016 (the best of their four performances I reckon)
    That Petrol Emotion 2008
    Pet Shop Boys 2006
    Steve Earle 2010
    Grandaddy 2012
    Magazine 2009
    The Strokes 2019

And many many more. Any input?

Young Fathers & TuneYards back to back B&S main stage 2014. Holy sh1t!

Young Fathers & TuneYards back to back B&S main stage 2014. Holy sh1t!

Yeah, both fab. YFs more so for me. That early morning slot has seen some great performances over the years - Matthew E White in 2013 was special and I've heard great reports about Public Service Broadcasting's slot there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Balls. Forgot to put DOVES on my wishlist

• Advertisement

I submit the following for consideration.

Portishead (2014)
    Jurassic 5 (2015)
    New Order (2016)

Portishead (2014)
    This was absolutely stunning.
    Jurassic 5 (2015)
    Entertaining and hilarious in equal measures.
    New Order (2016)
    Very enjoyable. Been a fan since the start. Wasn't blown away but very much enjoyed it.

Portishead (2014)
    Jurassic 5 (2015)
    New Order (2016)

Seconded. Missed J5 as had seen them in Glasto the year before.

also would like to add

The Prodigy 2018

Edit: and London Grammar - 2015(???) in the tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Portishead (2014)
    Jurassic 5 (2015)
    New Order (2016)

Oh I would LOVE J5 .. even a wee spot for Chali 2Na

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,646 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wrote a big long post with all my EP selections and touchpad accidently deleted it, can't be fcuking bothered now.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Here is a question for the old timers.

In 2007, Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip played some tiny tent with about 20 people in total. I remember him saying how surprised he was that anyone was there as Sonic Youth were on at the same time.

What was that little tent called?

Wrote a big long post with all my EP selections and touchpad accidently deleted it, can't be fcuking bothered now.

Ctrl-Z ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Some of the stand out sets for me over the years.
    Midlake (2011)
    The Cure / Mark Lanegan (2012)
    M.B.V. / Johnny Marr (2013)
    Ash / Car Seat Headrest (2017)

Come on man, give it another go.

• Advertisement

Midlake (2011)

Oh man, what a set that was. First I'd even heard of them, took a chance and wasn't disappointed.

Here is a question for the old timers.

In 2007, Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip played some tiny tent with about 20 people in total. I remember him saying how surprised he was that anyone was there as Sonic Youth were on at the same time.

What was that little tent called?

I was at that. It was roughly where Jerry Fish is now. Was it the Little Big Tent? They later made it more dance-orientated and moved it to where the Bodytonic stage had been.

Come on man, give it another go.

Will do later, trawling Youtube looking at previous Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets tours that I got a ticket for next April.

I was at that. It was roughly where Jerry Fish is now. Was it the Little Big Tent? They later made it more dance-orientated and moved it to where the Bodytonic stage had been.

Wow .. you, me and 18 other people in total.

Found it ... Foggy Notions it was called:
    https://nialler9.com/electric-picnic-timetable-sunday/

Wow .. you, me and 18 other people in total.

Found it ... Foggy Notions it was called:
    https://nialler9.com/electric-picnic-timetable-sunday/

Ah yeah, spent a lot of time in there that day. Dave Couse was good but very very angry. Hiding from a shower I also caught Norwegian shoegazers Serena Maneesh and they were superb.

It was roughly where Jerry Fish is now, wasn't it? My memory isn't playing tricks?

Ah yeah, spent a lot of time in there that day. Dave Couse was good but very very angry. Hiding from a shower I also caught Norwegian shoegazers Serena Maneesh and they were superb.

It was roughly where Jerry Fish is now, wasn't it? My memory isn't playing tricks?

was Lost Vagueness about there too, burlesque area.

was Lost Vagueness about there too, burlesque area.

Close. That was roughly where the Logic stage is now.

Close. That was roughly where the Logic stage is now.

Lost Vagueness had that circus crowd I think Lucent Dossier, chainsaw wielding punk mohican chicks on uni cycles on a tight rope performing to jungle and DnB, they made an appearance at Body&Soul Festival in 2013 appearing between music acts for the intermission. Fun stuff.

I am not sure, but that sounds about right.

• Advertisement

Lost Vagueness had that circus crowd I think Lucent Dossier, chainsaw wielding punk mohican chicks on uni cycles on a tight rope performing to jungle and DnB, they made an appearance at Body&Soul Festival in 2013 appearing between music acts for the intermission. Fun stuff.

Lost Vagueness was one of the most bizarre places ever to grace the festival circuit. I remember seeing a naked trapeze act in there once. Also saw Chumbawumba there at Glasto once. I really miss LV.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Midlake (2011)

Mogwai (2014), (made better by Perfume Genius and Francois & the Atlas Mountains finishing up)
    Belle & Sebastian (2015)

Lost Vagueness was one of the most bizarre places ever to grace the festival circuit. I remember seeing a naked trapeze act in there once. Also saw Chumbawumba there at Glasto once. I really miss LV.

Sky Arts had a huge documentary feature on the founders of LV a while back. Some excellent archive footage of pre-Security Fence Glastonbury and a bunch of Rather Angry Gentlemen kicking the sh*t out of it and storming in. Didn't realise that someone was shot and killed at The Other Stage in 1994.
    https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/1bb612ee-f7b5-4638-ac98-d9ee79f50483

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

First time seeing Father John misty and young fathers in 2017.

Sigrid was pretty special last year.

Loved the Strokes this year.

Ah ffs lads I really should have included Massive Attack (2018) in my list.
    It was my first time seeing them despite being a fan for 30 odd years.
    Anyone catch them at earlier Picnics? How did the sets compare?

Ah ffs lads I really should have included Massive Attack (2018) in my list.
    It was my first time seeing them despite being a fan for 30 odd years.
    Anyone catch them at earlier Picnics? How did the sets compare?

They only played once previously. Can't remember the year. Main stage in the p1ssing rain. I couldn't take it any more and being the soft one I am headed for the tents. A good few on this thread stayed and maintain the rain added to it.

• Advertisement

They only played once previously. Can't remember the year. Main stage in the p1ssing rain. I couldn't take it any more and being the soft one I am headed for the tents. A good few on this thread stayed and maintain the rain added to it.

Three times, 2006 with Liz Frazer, 2010 (downpour) and 2018.

Three times, 2006 with Liz Frazer, 2010 (downpour) and 2018.

I stand corrected. I remember Liz Fraser singing Teardrop now ... a special moment.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,862 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm tooting for nick cave back in 2004.

I recall it being incredibly sunny, I was drinking white wine by the contour bottleful.... And Mr cave was in electric form.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm tooting for nick cave back in 2004.

I recall it being incredibly sunny, I was drinking white wine by the contour bottleful.... And Mr cave was in electric form.

Was that not the two dayer or two and a half dayer in 2005, opened on Friday for campers but main arena opened Saturday and Sunday, Nick Cave played Sunday night.

Had a gleek at SetlistFM for Massive Attack's EP appearances:

Massive Attack, Electric Picnic 2006
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/massive-attack/2006/stradbally-hall-stradbally-ireland-3d4d5d3.html

Massive Attack, Electric Picnic 2010
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/massive-attack/2010/stradbally-hall-stradbally-ireland-3bd2a0a8.html

Massive Attack, Electric Picnic 2018
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/massive-attack/2018/stradbally-hall-stradbally-ireland-13e87d61.html

Reckon 2010 would have been incredible of those I missed. I'm still rating the 2018 set as in my top 5 EP Experiences.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement