Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

DeepBlue wrote: »
    How soon is soon? I wouldn't mind another crack at it before the hill is gone.

(Hopefully none of the mentors on the DCM Novices thread read this thread :p :cool:)

I believe October 5th soon.

It’ll still be a challenging 5k though, make no mistake and if you are looking for a harrowing parkrun in Cork, spin over to Union Hall for Castlehaven parkrun, it’s a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone know whats happened with Freeweeklytimed Podcast, the last podcast was early August?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Anyone know whats happened with Freeweeklytimed Podcast, the last podcast was early August?.

They said during the last podcast that they were taking a summer break. Hope it’s back soon, I prefer it to With me Now (as Danny is so horrible to Nicola and anyone else who challenges him!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Is st Anne's a buggy friendly route?

If so, are there any local rules regarding buggies like they have to start at the back or anything?

Eyeing up a bit of tourism at the weekend, having been a strictly south side runner in Dublin. But will have nipper with me, and usually do bout 20mins time with her, so be nice to not spend 5km overtaking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Butterbeans

crisco10 wrote: »

If so, are there any local rules regarding buggies like they have to start at the back or anything?

Eyeing up a bit of tourism at the weekend, having been a strictly south side runner in Dublin. But will have nipper with me, and usually do bout 20mins time with her, so be nice to not spend 5km overtaking people.
    St. Anne's is definitely a buggy friendly route, some good wide paths, have run it a few times. Not my local parkrun but I started up towards the front with buggy, no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Ordered mine in medium over weekend too.

Got a 'Your item is dispatched email' today.

Looks like backlog is slowly being cleared.

Did yours arrive Ted?

Tracking on mine is saying it's still in the UK, last update was last Friday. Was supposed to receive it the day before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lazare wrote: »
    Did yours arrive Ted?

Tracking on mine is saying it's still in the UK, last update was last Friday. Was supposed to receive it the day before that.

Meant to update on it.

Yep, ordered on the 31st August / 1st Sept & came on Friday 6th.

Wore it in Gorey to give it an airing & snuck back in under 20 mins for the first time in a while.

Meant to update on it.

Yep, ordered on the 31st August / 1st Sept & came on Friday 6th.

Wore it in Gorey to give it an airing & snuck back in under 20 mins for the first time in a while.

Nice one!! Maybe mine is waiting until I'm back in sub 20 shape then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lazare wrote: »
    Nice one!! Maybe mine is waiting until I'm back in sub 20 shape then :)

Must be next week so.

Must be next week so.

Ha! I wish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Defo buggy friendly and I've never heard any special instructions to buggy runners/walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just be careful of the kerb at the first little turn - have seen a buggy coming a cropper here, cutting the corner.

The St. Anne’s original ED was a sub-20 buggy runner so plenty of tradition. Like everywhere else, buggies are expected to start in appropriate position. Sub 20 is usually good for about 25-30th finisher so lining up in about third or fourth row is probably best. Good luck! Say hello to FBOT (Saturday’s RD).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Murph_D wrote: »
    Just be careful of the kerb at the first little turn - have seen a buggy coming a cropper here, cutting the corner.

The St. Anne’s original ED was a sub-20 buggy runner so plenty of tradition. Like everywhere else, buggies are expected to start in appropriate position. Sub 20 is usually good for about 25-30th finisher so lining up in about third or fourth row is probably best. Good luck! Say hello to FBOT (Saturday’s RD).
    I've a 20:29 there pushing a double buggy :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They said during the last podcast that they were taking a summer break. Hope it’s back soon, I prefer it to With me Now (as Danny is so horrible to Nicola and anyone else who challenges him!)
    That is all part of the act, but totally see where their style would grate for some people.

There is an equal number of people who find the FWT grating for being too far the opposite way with Vassos' knowledge and commitment to turning up to parkrun. I like both podcasts though because they cover both ends of the parkrun fanatic spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

robinph wrote: »
    That is all part of the act, but totally see where their style would grate for some people.

There is an equal number of people who find the FWT grating for being too far the opposite way with Vassos' knowledge and commitment to turning up to parkrun. I like both podcasts though because they cover both ends of the parkrun fanatic spectrum.

FWT seems to regularly stir up outrage among the "well I think you'll find that..." types who populate the parkrun discussion group on FB, so they've got to be doing something right!! ;) those folks take themselves far too seriously!

WMN is far more laid back and a bit more tongue in cheek, but it's hard to beat a good rant from Danny.

In other news, I've just discovered that even the downhills are uphill at Colin Glen! That was tough going, but a must for anyone looking for a bit of hill training - you won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Murph_D wrote: »

Went this morning, stunning morning for it!

Thanks for this piece of advice, the kerb is a bit awkward there especially in the early congestion. Was very helpful to be aware of it.

Went this morning, stunning morning for it!

Thanks for this piece of advice, the kerb is a bit awkward there especially in the early congestion. Was very helpful to be aware of it.

It only comes into the equation if you try to cut the corner. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

Anyone done Portumna Parkrun? I'd love to hear what it's like.

Over for a hen weekend next week and hoping to drag a few along for a bit of parkrun tourism!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Tried St. Anne's out yesterday(finally) for the first time. Super parkrun with great volunteers. Very fast course too with the long wide straight. Scored a parkrun PB too, which is a nice bonus! Had nice coffee at the end too over at the markets. Will be back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

dee75 wrote: »

Over for a hen weekend next week and hoping to drag a few along for a bit of parkrun tourism!

It's a lovely course, two laps running through a wooded area. There are no great views or anything on the course, but it's nice to be running in the middle of the woods. The path is fairly wide and it's relatively flat bar one small climb.

Fairly small numbers in general (30 to 40ish) so no mad rush for parking spaces, of which there are plently.

Enjoy!

dee75 wrote: »

I haven’t run Portumna before but just wanted to let you know the Shorelines Arts festival is taking place in Portumna over the weekend. Not sure if that will affect the parkrun or parking etc but maybe check the Portumna parkrun Facebook page for any updates. https://www.shorelinesartsfestival.com/
    Have a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

the only people who can afford the yoga, the tai-chi, to do the parkruns are people with a level of affluence that most of my patients don't have...

He was talking about how they no longer prescribe exercise therapy for pain management in a piece on the overprescription of opioid painkillers.

I can understand the yoga and tai-chi - classes have a per session cost associated with them, but parkrun? All you need is a pair of trainers, and I'm damn well sure people on low incomes in Tyneside still manage to find a pair of trainers whether or not they're wearing them for a free parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

robinph wrote: »

Despite being heavily involved with parkrun, there's only room in my life for one podcast on it & has to be WMN. Used to listen to both but decided one had to be culled.

Think it's mainly because it was the original parkrun show podcast that led me to parkrun in the first place and a visit to Marlay back in '14. Where did that time go :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, of the various podcasts I listen to on my runs that is the one that tends to get bumped up the playing order whenever it is released. I'm a few weeks behind on my Marathon Talks and FWT's, but WMN gets listened to as soon as I have a long enough run.

Ah balls, forgot about it.

May go onto the abomination that is the RTE Player.

I thought this was an exaggeration, until I went on to the abomination that is RTE Player. How f..king hard can it be to have a site where you type in the name of the programme and that programme comes up? :confused:

Could anyone stick up a direct link to the programme?

Good jib! wrote: »
    I thought this was an exaggeration, until I went on to the abomination that is RTE Player. How f..king hard can it be to have a site where you type in the name of the programme and that programme comes up? :confused:

Could anyone stick up a direct link to the programme?
    https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-geansa%C3%AD/SI0000001754?epguid=IH000380043

Good jib! wrote: »
    Cheers, you beaut!

Spent ages looking for that.

If you type ‘parkrun’ it comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mojonta

BeardySi wrote: »
    All you need is a pair of trainers, and I'm damn well sure people on low incomes in Tyneside still manage to find a pair of trainers whether or not they're wearing them for a free parkrun.

Mightn't even need them. I've seen a few recently on my local parkrun going barefoot around the course. Not sure how they manage it though, it's a bit stony in places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement