Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ordered my 100 T shirt today, no issue with stock in a small. I'll have it by Thurs. Think I remember the 50 one taking about a month.

Just in case anyone was thinking of ordering theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lazare wrote: »
    Ordered my 100 T shirt today, no issue with stock in a small. I'll have it by Thurs. Think I remember the 50 one taking about a month.

Just in case anyone was thinking of ordering theirs.

Ordered mine in medium over weekend too.

Got a 'Your item is dispatched email' today.

Looks like backlog is slowly being cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Loved doing this Parkrun, very friendly and a unique course. Some very intense american runners, one guy had three watches, time, distance and heart rate :confused: and he was running in his bare feet. Most of the people in charge were ex-pats from the UK or Ireland. Well worth a visit if you are ever in Boston.

Did you do it around the pond? They moved to another park due to construction work at the pond. The temporary course is a one lap loop of Arnold Arboretum about a mile from the other start. The consolation is that it's absolutely beautiful. And hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

chinguetti wrote: »
    Did Mullingar this morning and a lovely course along the canal and greenway in between the nasty showers. Nice and flat too if anyone is looking for a pb course. Anyone know how far the greenway? It must be a great spot for long runs with fine paths on both sides.
    The greenway goes as far as Athlone.
    I've run on the greenway a bit but I wouldn't use it for a long run personally. But I do use just a part of it in many of my long runs. It can get a bit boring and feel never ending IMO so one section is enough for me. It's grand though if you've some company and you don't want to worry about traffic etc.
    Mullingar is a nice speedy course, I must get back to it when I feel ready enough to have a crack at my 5km time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Bumpity bump....anyone?

Oranmore every time. Knocknacarra is a nice enough park with a few dips and climbs, but nothing I'd call a hill. Its not quite doing laps of the pitch, but it's not the most interesting.

Oranmore on the other hand is a lovely run in the woods by the sea with a nice bit of a hill climb to remind you why the pints the night before were a bad idea ;)

Neither is a PB course (though ironically I ran a 5k PB at oranmore because I started late and was pushing to catch up, but as I missed the start it wasn't a PB time....) and ill cheerfully do both again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Parkwalk......
    The inevitable dumbing down of an already relaxed way to get people active, which bright spark came up with this idea I wonder?
    It started with rte and their operation transformation charade where obese people "ran" 5k slower than a pensioner would walk it, why not bother some other sport and stop making a mockery of running.
    How low can the bar go.....

I wasn't going to comment, BUT, whatever happened to everyone has to start somewhere? Parkrun isn't just about runners and is an inclusive organisation, which you don't seem to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

On the phone so can't multi quote but thanks for the Galway tips folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

cazzer22 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to comment, BUT, whatever happened to everyone has to start somewhere? Parkrun isn't just about runners and is an inclusive organisation, which you don't seem to understand.

What baffles me is that the same user also posted this in the Dublin City Marathon race series thread ...

"Brilliant organisation, best location on this island for a race, savage weather. What more could you want on a Saturday morning at the end of the summer. Slow as hell myself but that's another story, just glad to be enjoying it and taking part"

Oxymoronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

mathie wrote: »
    What baffles me is that the same user also posted this in the Dublin City Marathon race series thread ...

"Brilliant organisation, best location on this island for a race, savage weather. What more could you want on a Saturday morning at the end of the summer. Slow as hell myself but that's another story, just glad to be enjoying it and taking part"

Oxymoronic.

Why don't you read the rest of my historical posts while you are at it Mathie.
    You'll find I have finish times that vary over a wide range because I took up running and tried to improve over time.
    I can also call a spade a spade when I'm at stages where I'm not fit enough.
    I've varied between over 5hrs and under 4 for the marathon for instance.

That post was for a 10 mile race which I finished and ran from start to finish.
    Do you have anything else you need explained?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Why don't you read the rest of my historical posts while you are at it Mathie.
    You'll find I have finish times that vary over a wide range because I took up running and tried to improve over time.
    I can also call a spade a spade when I'm at stages where I'm not fit enough.
    I've varied between over 5hrs and under 4 for the marathon for instance.

That post was for a 10 mile race which I finished and ran from start to finish.
    Do you have anything else you need explained?

And berate others who try to do the same in parkrun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

mathie wrote: »
    And berate others who try to do the same in parkrun.

Amen.
    We all have to start somewhere and trying to tear walkers down just isn't fair or a nice way to behave. I applaud anyone for trying to better their health and there are so many people out running/jogging/walking because of the ethos of the organisation. My favourite thing is seeing the buggies. HOW? It's hard enough trying to get myself to the end. Let alone with a buggy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

7pm RTE1 Tuesday September 10th - The Geansaí
    Exploring the rising popularity of parkrun in Ireland, which now operates out of 90 locations around the country. Featuring personal stories from organisers and runners

https://twitter.com/RTE_Scannal/status/1168498238007185408

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

I ran finsbury park ,north lonsdon.last saturday.

Its very busy ,500 plus finishers.

2 challenging hills.

the running buggys are getting a bit too competitive.

There was a collision and a pile up on one of the bends!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

charkee wrote: »
    I ran finsbury park ,north lonsdon.last saturday.

Its very busy ,500 plus finishers.

2 challenging hills.

Sounds more exciting than some Formula 1 races I've seen! (Hope everyone was ok!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

charkee wrote: »

Sounds like a bit of Ben Hur, any sandals & toga's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Deerpark forest parkrun first event and a great turnout. Course is great but a little hilly. A lot of people saying it measured short and I'm pretty sure it did (never mind Garmin / tree cover) my time was way too quick for a 5km by 2 mins or so.

Great event and lovely volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Deerpark forest parkrun first event and a great turnout. Course is great but a little hilly. A lot of people saying it measured short and I'm pretty sure it did (never mind Garmin / tree cover) my time was way too quick for a 5km by 2 mins or so.

Great event and lovely volunteers

There was an issue with the routing of the course this morning and it was short. All results are being adjusted pro rata to avoid people having difficult PBs to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

First time on the road, having run all my previous 125 parkruns in Dublin, covering all of them in so doing. Highly recommend Glengarriff, particularly if you like your hills - there's a particularly steep one which starts near the 4k mark :D

Did anyone watch the program on RTE1 this evening An Geansaí which did a feature on parkrun? What did ye think?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I thought it a shame they didn’t focus on any walkers too. It perpetuates that it really is a parkRUN only. For RUNners of all abilities but still just for RUNners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Did anyone watch the program on RTE1 this evening An Geansaí which did a feature on parkrun? What did ye think?

Ah balls, forgot about it.

May go onto the abomination that is the RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I thought it made Ireland look amazing, great scenery, friendly people. I did get a twitch every time I saw parkrun with a capital P ;) They did talk about people walking and showed the ‘walk at parkrun’ sign so I disagree with the poster who said it was all about the RUN. I’ve put Clonbur Woods in my diary now, looks gorgeous.

I enjoyed the program and felt the half hour passed by very quickly. I enjoyed the stories of how the people first got involved in parkrun and how it has positively impacted on their lives and the local communities.
    Only thing I felt it didn't touch on and I'd guess it was due to time constraints was the volunteering and free aspect of it and also how parkrun actually works (register online, bring printed barcode, take part, get scanned at the end, the different volunteering roles) - that bit didn't seem clear to me. But maybe I need to watch it again.

A great little program. Has anyone watched the series done on Sky a few months back about parkrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

First time on the road, having run all my previous 125 parkruns in Dublin, covering all of them in so doing. Highly recommend Glengarriff, particularly if you like your hills - there's a particularly steep one which starts near the 4k mark :D

Glad to hear you made it down to Glengarriff! It’s the closest to where I’m from so naturally gravitate to it often.

You may or may not be sad to hear that the course is changing soon to include the Big Meadow section of the Nature Reserve. This means less on road sections where there can be traffic passing and it’s cutting out the steep hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

I felt it was a really good representation of the community that is parkrun. Delighted it was made and will spread the word about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you made it down to Glengarriff! It’s the closest to where I’m from so naturally gravitate to it often.

You may or may not be sad to hear that the course is changing soon to include the Big Meadow section of the Nature Reserve. This means less on road sections where there can be traffic passing and it’s cutting out the steep hill.

Thanks, same as ! Yes, somebody told me about the impending changes. Disappointing! I'm actually glad I got a chance to take on the steep hill. If I make it back, it won't feel the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    How soon is soon? I wouldn't mind another crack at it before the hill is gone.

(Hopefully none of the mentors on the DCM Novices thread read this thread :p :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

DeepBlue wrote:
    (Hopefully none of the mentors on the DCM Novices thread read this thread )

Oh they're everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The car park over by the Red Stables now has plastic barriers installed because of the selfish parking of many Parkrun patrons on Saturday mornings. Rather than park a minute or 2 away people feel the need to get as close to the start line as possible. I'm sure some people would actually park the car at the start line if they could. Bizarre making the effort to go out for exercise but then be extremely lazy in the process.
    pc11 wrote: »
    Speaking of parking, I need to vent about the parking at St Anne's Park. The main carpark has a one-way system which makes perfect sense as it's quite cramped and fills up quickly every week. The road markings are faded but visible and in any case almost everybody is local or a regular and know exactly how it works.

Yet, every week, some few clowns feel like the one way system simply doesn't apply to the them and they create mayhem. One silver car in particular drove in the wrong way at a crazy high speed which was very dangerous in a full car park where there will be lots of kids. Today was particularly bad with people taking the p1ss.

So, let's face it, you know who you are, please stop it. You're not special, the one-way applies to you too.

I did wave at a couple of drivers today who were being cnts and it was obvious they knew exactly what they were doing. I had a chat with a run director who was also irate but she said the core team are reluctant to get involved with the carpark which I can understand.

So, please let's play nicely with others, folks. It's really not much to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Oh they're everywhere
    Oh oh, busted. :(

LOKasVg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement