Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has politics.ie closed down ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pa8301 wrote: »
    The OP opens their account, starts this thread and promptly closes their account after 1 post. Is this a record?

No.

Some have opened an account and didn't reply for years afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

I feel this is no great loss to humanity....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Turnipman wrote: »
    Jesus no! :eek: That buffoon shouldn't be let near this site - he is seriously raving. Appears genuinely to believe that the current pope isn't religious enough!

some might even go as far as saying he's the antichrist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

As yeer all so worried....'twill be back up 'shortly'...

https://mobile.twitter.com/PoliticsIE/status/1024061967437377538

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

A week is a long time in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

boom boom

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Berserker wrote: »
    Read it once of two and it made me appreciate the posters on here, even the ones I don't agree with. Some right tulips active on that forum.

Might give some of the lads on here a chance to have a holiday. Need to make sure that the new lads are up to the grade first though.

Can someone not just pop over and restart it?

terribly boring. you make work on how to rile people up. bullying from a distance just doesn't cut it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Probably full of sinn feiners and communists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ye'd be surprised, it's actually fairly right wing. In fact, I'd argue that it's people who are beyond the Overton Window on either the left or the right who tend to post there, because they face over-moderation here.

It does make political debate a bit more fun though. Debates go on until someone is backed into a logical corner and abandons the thread because they can't win, or everyone gets sick of the debate - not when someone arbitrarily decides that a debate has "gone too far" or "run its course", as happened a few days ago with the Peak Trans thread here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

boom boom
    what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I suspect they finally realised that politics was a bit boring and sh*t and stopped posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its as mad as a box of frogs that site but I do like to pop in occasionally. Some good posters there who clearly have the inside track on their parties going ons

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    what?

Basil Brush!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Basil Brush!
    Not the Outhere Brothers?

I want that song played at my funeral. F*cking Jam.

Those lyrics are pure filth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Presumably the Special Branch have finally made a move against them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is that where banned boards.ie members go?

No, that would be /r/ireland

Those lyrics are pure filth

Back in the day we used to run around disco's singing those lyrics oblivious to their meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Holiday time

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Back in the day we used to run around disco's singing those lyrics oblivious to their meaning.

Mental when you think about it, or the good old sex on the beach

I think boom boom boom had a clean version too? I remember something like 'and your kisses on my face'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The GAA are suspiciously silent!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

....... wrote: »

That'd be voat. /v/boards

The whole site is basically a gigantic right wing version of Reddit. I like to have a read through the boards section every month or so for a cheap laugh at all the crazy people convinced of a conspiracy against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's a sad sign of the times IMO, things like Voat. Places like Reddit used to be inclusive of both sides of the political debate, then as the internet went into "santiziation mode" just as left wing views happened to be the current zeitgeist, people with right wing and far-right views were essentially forced off mainstream platforms and had to create their own "mirror internet" - Voat in place of Reddit, Gab in place of Facebook and Twitter, etc.

The original internet was a thunderdome where everyone could have it out regardless of where they stood, and the only rule was "if you can't hack it, f*ck off". It was far, far more fun IMO than the version we have today where left and right reside in their own echo chambers, shielded from ever actually debating people from the opposite side - and full-on "chaperones" everywhere breaking up any debates before they can really get going.

It sort of feels like the internet used to be a field where teenagers could hang out unsupervised and get up to pretty much anything, and now it's a "maintained" playground with people actually running it and enforcing rules. The wild west internet was much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You see some great fights on it.

A lot of posters seem to genuinely hate each other.
    Just like boards then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its as mad as a box of frogs that site but I do like to pop in occasionally. Some good posters there who clearly have the inside track on their parties going ons

I used to post there before I joined here. Left because you could say what you wanted about the Jews (as a few were inclined to do) but if you bypassed the swear filter with "fuck" etc you'd get a ban/card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

....... wrote: »
    No!!

Its the one that if you type the name in the software here actually overwrites it in your post.

Cant even remember it now tbh but it was something like goat, voat?

Careful, if you say Voat three times in the mirror, Boards admins appear and beat you to death with red cards.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

It's still like the wild west days of the internet over there.

Practically no moderation.

For this reason it's far more fun than Boards for political discussion (no "this thread has run its course, closed" even when users are still up for a debate) but Boards still has an edge by having a much broader range of forums.

Have you ever been there posting? With Stringjack who runs the place since the American who once took over a couple of years ago 'resigned' and left the place after around one year being the administrator and owner of the site. I know that place as I have been posting there for a couple of years, on and off. Stringjack had the habit to dishing out bans in various periods, going from a couple of days, weeks, months and finally permanent. When being engaged with some nasty or trollish offender over there, fighting back his insults, you would have been caught with that troll and receive a ban. Other posters who exceeded their 'credit' got scotfree and continued with their way of posting. I sometimes simply quitted my registration there as I grew more and more fed up with his way of moderating and administering the place. As one can't close down ones own account there, one had to do it via some unorthodox way. The NI section is the real madhouse of p.ie with the most idiotic and provocative Unionists and Loyalists. But I won't omit that their oppenent equivalents from the Shinners faction are doing their daily trench battles with them. A running in circles day in day out year after year.

So, I am not much surprised that p.ie seems to have finally gone down the toilet (some of them must have pressed the 'flush' button).

I prefer the moderation on b.ie over that on p.ie which in case of the latter one was either randomly or none existent.

Advertisement