Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WALKER (2018) Saorview Combo WPS818C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

FRIENDO wrote: »

Freesat also allows you watch one programme and record another, Or record two programmes at the same time. You cannot do this on the Walker.

Is that not completely dependent on the number of tuners in the STB rather than the Freesat software/firmware in the STB?

There are many non-Freesat STBs with dual Sat tuners which facilitate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Is that not completely dependent on the number of tuners in the STB rather than the Freesat software/firmware in the STB?

Yes, but I'm presuming the owner has a freesat hdr and I'm trying to highlight the difference between that and the Walker Saorview and FTA box.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah. I think Friendo meant to say Freesat+ (or HDR) for recording, as it's often the Freesat HDR's that get discussed in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Thanks for that comprehensive guide, I won't be getting rid of the humax for a while yet then.
    The Walker box gives you one list of channels including Saorview and UK Free to Air Channels.

Its a simple box to use.

The Saorview Channels come with a 7 day programme guide.

You can get Digital Aertel on RTE channels and Red button function on BBC channels.

The Satellite Channels only come with whats on Now and Next in the programme guide.

Recording on Saorview channels is easy and reliable.

You would have to set timers on UK Satellite channels if recording anything after the Now and Next programmes.

However unlike Freesat, the Walker Combo does not have serial link for recording.

You can set daily or weekly timers for recording on the Walker.

Freesat also allows you watch one programme and record another, Or record two programmes at the same time. You cannot do this on the Walker.

funnyname wrote: »
    Thanks for that comprehensive guide, I won't be getting rid of the humax for a while yet then.

I'm using a Humax freesat hdr since 2009, an excellent and reliable box.
    Best box I've had and still working perfect "touch wood"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

So you can series link and easily record one week ahead, just like the humax but only for the saorview side of things? So potentially it's a better option than a saorview connect box?

So you can series link and easily record one week ahead, just like the humax but only for the saorview side of things? So potentially it's a better option than a saorview connect box?

With the Saorview Channels you can set a recording on the programme guide over the 7 days easy.
    You also have the option of editing the timer with daily/weekly timer on the recording event.
    However the Walker does not offer serial link.

I cant comment on the Saorview Connect box as I don't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Hi Friendo, have you ever used the Ariva boxes by any chance? Kind of wondering should I get the Walker or an Ariva 253. One thing that puts me off the Walker is the usb connection at the front, plugging in a hard drive to the front wouldn't look very neat.

EDIT: Just read your post above about the difference between Freesat and UK Free to Air - I think this answers my question on what I'll go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Prezatch wrote: »
    Hi Friendo, have you ever used the Ariva boxes by any chance? Kind of wondering should I get the Walker or an Ariva 253. One thing that puts me off the Walker is the usb connection at the front, plugging in a hard drive to the front wouldn't look very neat.

EDIT: Just read your post above about the difference between Freesat and UK Free to Air - I think this answers my question on what I'll go for.

This Walker box and all of Ariva boxes are generic Free to air

Currently only Humax and Manhattan make Freesat boxes
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/boxes/

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Played around with 1 of these this evening the exact same menus as with the Walker,Nordmende and Thoshiba saorview, satellite and smart TVs. I used my USB stick " uploaded channels from my Toshiba" to load all the UK channels on the box. Irish channels from 1-10 and UK channels straight after 10 starting at 301 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

Navarre wrote: »
    Played around with 1 of these this evening the exact same menus as with the Walker,Nordmende and Thoshiba saorview, satellite and smart TVs. I used my USB stick " uploaded channels from my Toshiba" to load all the UK channels on the box. Irish channels from 1-10 and UK channels straight after 10 starting at 301 onwards.

I’m guessing no 7 day EPG on U.K. channels so?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

patsryan wrote: »

No.

patsryan wrote: »

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/?gw=1323 this covers all the channels that i want to see whats on for the next 7 days, it also covers what movies are on and what channels they are on also for the next 7 days. its very easy to customize also as there is no need to have a epg for channels you don't watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Got one of these about six weeks ago, to play around with.

There were no A/V adaptor cables available from (any) Power City at the time, so I had only used the HDMI cable option.

Yesterday I saw Power City had restocked, so tried using the box via SCART.

I don't know if I've got a rogue box, but the Video output is actually on the Yellow (left sound channel) cable. Very frustrating until I sussed it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, the picture is quite soft, not at all the quality I was expecting. (Which again makes me wonder was I just unlucky, or are they all similar?)

Having said all that, it is nice to not have to be switching boxes/inputs when going from Satellite to Terrestrial.

No, only using it with HDMI, all perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Booms wrote: »

There were no A/V adaptor cables available from (any) Power City at the time, so I had only used the HDMI cable option.

I don't know if I've got a rogue box, but the Video output is actually on the Yellow (left sound channel) cable. Very frustrating until I sussed it.

Also, the picture is quite soft, not at all the quality I was expecting. (Which again makes me wonder was I just unlucky, or are they all similar?)

Having said all that, it is nice to not have to be switching boxes/inputs when going from Satellite to Terrestrial.
    On RCA cables audio left and right are red and white and video yellow and have been for a long time now, scart picture would be softer than hdmi, I would not have thought there was a problem with the box.

Thanks to both Friendo and Decor58 for your replies.

I've just reread my post.

'Tis worse I'm gettin'.

What i had meant to type was that the video is on the white cable - ie the left sound output, not the yellow which is the standard video signal cable.

(The cable is wired correctly, I tried it with another device)

And the picture quality is definitely not up to the standard of the Humax HD box.
    (Even using the HDMI cable)

So, am I being unreasonable to expect a decent picture quality on the Walker?

And has anyone else tried to connect via scart or a/v and been happy/unhappy or unable to get a video output?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

7 day EPG on satellite?

Not tested on Astra 2 yet (UK Sat channels)

7 day epg on Saorsat working perfect
    NJ ref a v good EPG or its a no no,I've a Humax for UK etc, recording,and an Nvidia shield for streaming, would love to have all in one,but not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

The Walker box gives you one list of channels including Saorview and UK Free to Air Channels.

Its a simple box to use.

You can get Digital Aertel on RTE channels and Red button function on BBC channels.

The Satellite Channels only come with whats on Now and Next in the programme guide.

Recording on Saorview channels is easy and reliable.

You would have to set timers on UK Satellite channels if recording anything after the Now and Next programmes.

However unlike Freesat, the Walker Combo does not have serial link for recording.

You can set daily or weekly timers for recording on the Walker.

Humax is tops,but don't Max it out with recordings,known to fail,as did my old humax

Thanks to both Friendo and Decor58 for your replies.

I've just reread my post.

'Tis worse I'm gettin'.

What i had meant to type was that the video is on the white cable - ie the left sound output, not the yellow which is the standard video signal cable.

(The cable is wired correctly, I tried it with another device)

And the picture quality is definitely not up to the standard of the Humax HD box.
    (Even using the HDMI cable)

So, am I being unreasonable to expect a decent picture quality on the Walker?

And has anyone else tried to connect via scart or a/v and been happy/unhappy or unable to get a video output?

Cheers!

Ive been installing this model box for the last few weeks and have not come across any issues yet with what your saying. If i was you i would bring the box back to shop where you bought it and get it replaced, There is a 2 year warranty on Walker products.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Video on composite (the yellow pin, or whatever pin it ends up coming out on if miswired!) is always going to be soft. It is the worst possible option available short of using an RF modulator - and actually some of those are better

Thanks to you both for that.

I'll do some more comparisions between boxes (using HDMI), to see if there is a major difference. I'm aware that once I start querying something, I can get super critical, so thank you for your replies.

Booms

For using the HDMI.
    In the settings on the Walker you have output type, I have mine set to 1080p

Yours may be on auto and may be using a lesser output for HDMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Just bought one of these and having real problems with the Saorview channels. Have tried auto scan, manual scan, using the preset list and missing RTE1 and Virgin media 3. All others are fine?

Anyone any idea here?

If I plug the aerial feed into the TV, I pick up all channels no problem, but on this box, no matter what I do RTE1/VM3 is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tototoe wrote: »
    Just bought one of these and having real problems with the Saorview channels. Have tried auto scan, manual scan, using the preset list and missing RTE1 and Virgin media 3. All others are fine?

Anyone any idea here?

If I plug the aerial feed into the TV, I pick up all channels no problem, but on this box, no matter what I do RTE1/VM3 is missing.

Maybe you are not scanning the correct frequency for the mux those channels are on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Maybe you are not scanning the correct frequency for the mux those channels are on?

Well I now set the box to UK instead of Ireland, and on a manual scan now have all irish channels, but with channel numbers from 800 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 john.22

Hi i got one of these boxes for Christmas. when i do an automatic or manual scan it finds all channels except channel 4, E4, More4, Film4. I have tried doing a manual scan with the correct frequency /polarisation but it still cannot find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

john.22 wrote: »
    Hi i got one of these boxes for Christmas. when i do an automatic or manual scan it finds all channels except channel 4, E4, More4, Film4. I have tried doing a manual scan with the correct frequency /polarisation but it still cannot find them.

Got one of them recently.The way i got them was to scan all channels including the encrypted ones.Pain in the ass deleting all the sky encrypted ones,but it's one way of getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 john.22

mgn wrote: »
    Got one of them recently.The way i got them was to scan all channels including the encrypted ones.Pain in the ass deleting all the sky encrypted ones,but it's one way of getting them.

Worked when i included encrypted channels, thanks for the help it was wrecking my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

john.22 wrote: »
    Worked when i included encrypted channels, thanks for the help it was wrecking my head!

No problem.

Advertisement