Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

iggy wrote: »

Looks like Google have removed all the adblockers from the playstore.

Ah that explains that. Thought I was missing something. I'm sure there will be a work around soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Ah that explains that. Thought I was missing something. I'm sure there will be a work around soon.

there already is. Just because an app isn't available on the play store doesn't mean you can't use it. Just download it from XDA forums or similar and sideload it.

EDIT: Link here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

keith16 wrote: »
    there already is. Just because an app isn't available on the play store doesn't mean you can't use it. Just download it from XDA forums or similar and sideload it.

EDIT: Link here

Got that working.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Howdy lads, have the phone a week now but need accessories. Where is best place to get stuff like car chargers, charging stands etc? DX don't seem to cater much for Nexus 4 per se, or is it going by another name on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry if asked already but does anyone else find the ringtone/sms notifcation sounds very low, even turned up to full volume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sorry if asked already but does anyone else find the ringtone/sms notifcation sounds very low, even turned up to full volume?

The speaker is on the back so if you have it sitting on a flat surface facing up then all the sounds get muffled. Its pretty crap design really but there you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

sheehy83 wrote: »

I rooted my Nexus 4, installed a custom kernel and then patched it using the Beats+XLouder mod on XDA forums as shown here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2025486. Made a massive improvement to the volume output, not just music but also ringtones and notifications.

I also got a Poetic bumper from Amazon and the lip raises up the back of the phone when you lay it flat so the sound isn't so muffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I would wait and see if a wireless dongle using in-built Miracast in Android 4.2 will do the trick: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/hands-on-netgear-push2tv-for-miracast-and-widi-2013019/

Wireless streaming to your TV from your Nexus 4 = win.

I wonder if either of these would work with the Sky Sports TV app. I don't think the app is technically supported on the N4 but sideloading might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Howdy lads, have the phone a week now but need accessories. Where is best place to get stuff like car chargers, charging stands etc? DX don't seem to cater much for Nexus 4 per se, or is it going by another name on there?

Also, anyone recommend any decent cases/screen covers? I do not want to find a scratch on that screen after a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

do tell Harney wft are u on about ? I have nexus 4 + 7 and just acquired a RPi anything that gets them chatting is newsworthy to me

Hi guys,

I've ordered one of the above along with one of these for the car off Amazon. Same seller: Giraffe Distribution

m_934709685116-500x500.png

I used my Parcel Motel shipping address. They were shipped last week!!

Sold out on Amazon. Found it here.

28 quid all in, worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Hi guys,

I've ordered one of the above along with one of these for the car off Amazon. Same seller: Giraffe Distribution

I used my Parcel Motel shipping address. They were shipped last week!!
    Did u get this?
    I never received mine and have seen their feedback
    Which is shocking.
    Gonna give it a couple more days then look for refund.
    They said they shipped it on 9th March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

iggy wrote: »
    Did u get this?
    I never received mine and have seen their feedback
    Which is shocking.
    Gonna give it a couple more days then look for refund.
    They said they shipped it on 9th March.

Mine shipped on the 18th... Nothing yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

This is more of a general question rather than a Nexus 4 question. I picked up a Nexus 4 tonight, coming from an iPhone. For Facebook and Twitter, do notifications come through as soon as the comment/mention/request/etc. happen? They do on the iPhone, but on the Nexus I've seen that that there is a refresh interval and you need to set a time when you turn notifications on. Does this meant that if I have the refresh interval as 30 minutes, it only checks for notifications for every 30 minutes?

BDJW wrote: »
    This is more of a general question rather than a Nexus 4 question. I picked up a Nexus 4 tonight, coming from an iPhone. For Facebook and Twitter, do notifications come through as soon as the comment/mention/request/etc. happen? They do on the iPhone, but on the Nexus I've seen that that there is a refresh interval and you need to set a time when you turn notifications on. Does this meant that if I have the refresh interval as 30 minutes, it only checks for notifications for every 30 minutes?

That's correct, but depending on the app you can set it to 'push' and the notification should come through as soon as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I've adblock plus installed. Thought the problem got fixed with an update but it started again today.

Abp gives a pop up saying it has permission and then my data connection drops for a few mins.
    Just wondering is there any other apps I could use? Also where to get it since adblockers aren't allowed on play anymore.

user2011 wrote: »
    I've adblock plus installed. Thought the problem got fixed with an update but it started again today.

Abp gives a pop up saying it has permission and then my data connection drops for a few mins.
    Just wondering is there any other apps I could use? Also where to get it since adblockers aren't allowed on play anymore.

See post 203 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

Just recently got my nexus through an relation in the UK and Im loving it so far. Only gripe i have is with the notifications. Im coming from an S2 where i used NoLED to highlight when i get a message. It doesn't seem to agree with the Nexus. Anyone have any ideas on what i could use as an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

dots104 wrote: »
    Just recently got my nexus through an relation in the UK and Im loving it so far. Only gripe i have is with the notifications. Im coming from an S2 where i used NoLED to highlight when i get a message. It doesn't seem to agree with the Nexus. Anyone have any ideas on what i could use as an alternative.

But the nexus has LEDs, so why would you want to use NoLED? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Light flow works pretty well. You can pick colours and how fast it flashes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

EGriff wrote: »

Yeah I agree, reckon I'm going to buy the full version at some stage too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Lightflow does the job for me too...

Thanks a good start but its very small to see. NoLED showed little phone or mail symbols. Anything a little more obvious out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well folks, my Galaxy Nexus has died a death (cracked screen and won't recharge) and I'm weighing up my options.
    Only two months left on my Vodafone contract but am eligible for an upgrade. That gives me options of the S4 when it comes out or the HTC One. However, it'll be silly money to get them or else enter a nosebleeding type of new contract with Vodafone.
    Very very tempted to jump providers in a month or two and an opportunity has arisen that a family member can get me a Nexus 4 (he lives in NY) and bring it over when he comes home to visit in two weeks.
    What does everyone think of it? Worth taking the plunge and buying it? I absolutely loved my previous Nexus and also have a Nexus 7 so it seems like an obvious thing to just buy it! :)

Get it. It's a beautiful machine and it's lightning fast. I haven't had a single crash, reboot or app close unexpectedly since I got it before christmas. Will be pretty satisfying to get out of that voda contract too and get yourself a 100 times better sim only or PAYG deal elsewhere. Vodafone really have the worst deals you can get.

That said google I/O is on next month and they might announce something special that could be around the same price as the N4 is right now, but it won't be coming out I'd think until september/october.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Heroditas wrote: »
    Well folks, my Galaxy Nexus has died a death (cracked screen and won't recharge) and I'm weighing up my options.
    Only two months left on my Vodafone contract but am eligible for an upgrade. That gives me options of the S4 when it comes out or the HTC One. However, it'll be silly money to get them or else enter a nosebleeding type of new contract with Vodafone.
    Very very tempted to jump providers in a month or two and an opportunity has arisen that a family member can get me a Nexus 4 (he lives in NY) and bring it over when he comes home to visit in two weeks.
    What does everyone think of it? Worth taking the plunge and buying it? I absolutely loved my previous Nexus and also have a Nexus 7 so it seems like an obvious thing to just buy it! :)

hello again!!
    I too had a Galaxy Nexus and absolutely loved it..!! So much so, that when I got my Nexus 4, I was a bit slow (and sentimental, shucks) about changing over given there was nothing wrong with Galaxy Nexus....

Anyways, made the change after a couple of days and love the N4..Go for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Got mine today,very impressed so far! Know nothing about android somebody tell me something to download or something cool to do with it!

Also what is rooting? It like jailbreaking on an iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Rooting gives you full access to the phone so you can change the rom etc. A guide here :
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html
    Got that link in this thread thanks, can't remember who posted it. It worked fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I also have the poetic bumper for about a month, no sign of peeling either.

My poetic bumper has started peeling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Got mine today,very impressed so far! Know nothing about android somebody tell me something to download or something cool to do with it!

Also what is rooting? It like jailbreaking on an iPhone?

I've had mine since before Christmas and haven't felt the need to unlock it, an very happy with the stock OS. So don't feel like you're missing out by not rooting.

If you're new to android, think about what apps you would use and look at what widgets you can use to have the information you need on your home screens. For example have a look at flipboard, add another widget for emails and another for twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Oh didn't know we had a Nexus 4 Owners Thread, subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Has anyone else noticed the notifications drop down menu acting strange? 90% of the time I try and pull it down it will come down a small bit and go back up.

I have to try a few times and usually do it really slow to get it to pull down.

Seems to have only started happening the last few days. Strange as I haven't flashed anything.

No issues with mine at all, grubby screen maybe?

Or have you a screen protector on it?

I had one on mine but had to take it off in the end, it blocked part of the proximity sensor and would not end the call correctly....

Should have probably trimmed it a little before applying it....

Had that problem on the nexus 7 tablet for a few days about 4 months ago. Just sorted itself out a few days after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

wayhey wrote: »
    Also, anyone recommend any decent cases/screen covers? I do not want to find a scratch on that screen after a few days

My phone has fallen twice from a counter unto tiled floor and not a scratch on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Hi guys

Has anybody received the cradle for use in the car? http://ie.mobilefun.com/37731-car-mount-cradle-for-lg-nexus-4.htm

Seen people ordered on here a few weeks ago but slow shipping or something was an issue..

• Advertisement

celticsfan wrote: »
    Hi guys

Has anybody received the cradle for use in the car? http://ie.mobilefun.com/37731-car-mount-cradle-for-lg-nexus-4.htm

Seen people ordered on here a few weeks ago but slow shipping or something was an issue..

I'm interested in finding out if this mount covers the phones speaker, kinda looks like it does and if your using it for sat navigation it be a pain.

celticsfan wrote: »
    Hi guys

The issues are that it was sold out and people who had ordered had slow shipping times but that was from amazon.

Don't think anyone had ordered from the above link - I haven't ordered yet...not sure if 30 quid is good value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

I find the LED is very dim - you'd see it if you looked straight at it, but not otherwise. I've seen one of the Jiayu cheap (but good) phones and the LED is like a beacon, casting a flashing light on the ceiling in a dark room.

I'm assuming that my LED isn't bonzoed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

keith16 wrote: »
    The issues are that it was sold out and people who had ordered had slow shipping times but that was from amazon.

Don't think anyone had ordered from the above link - I haven't ordered yet...not sure if 30 quid is good value for money.

ah i see,thanks bud..will have a look around and see if there are any other mounts..just installed sygic so im after one...

Anynama141 wrote: »
    I find the LED is very dim - you'd see it if you looked straight at it, but not otherwise. I've seen one of the Jiayu cheap (but good) phones and the LED is like a beacon, casting a flashing light on the ceiling in a dark room.

It is a bit dim alright. I doubt there's much that can be done about that, maybe some of the custom ROMs have brightness settings for it.

• Advertisement

Anynama141 wrote: »

This is where i was coming from with asking for an alternative to the flashing LED. Noled pops up with little envelopes or app icons. Any like this out there?

dots104 wrote: »
    This is where i was coming from with asking for an alternative to the flashing LED. Noled pops up with little envelopes or app icons. Any like this out there?

Not really. Having an app like that on LCD screen like the Nexus means your whole screen would be always on killing your battery to just display an icon or two. NO LED worked on AMOLED screens as it only turned on the AMOLEDs needed when in use so 99% of the screen was still turned off saving power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I haven't experienced that problem but I had to return my first Nexus 4 phone due to the volume buttons not working.
    Pretty hassle free and got a replacement very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

No, all they asked was my gmail address. It was a new UK one I had set up for ordering it in the first place.
    They will send you an email to order the replacement which will be shipped to your Parcel Motel address. When the replacement comes it will also contain return shipping envelope with details on how to return the faulty phone. They use TNT. I rang TNT in Dublin who picked up the faulty phone from my work place in Sligo.
    Google Nexus support number is 0044 800 328 6081.

• Advertisement
Advertisement