Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

theres a huge thread over @ XDA-Dev on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nexus noob question. One of the first things i did with this phone was unlock the bootloader and root the device.

When/if 4.2.2 is pushed through, will i lose root?

Most likely, I've lost root at every update

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Nexus noob question. One of the first things i did with this phone was unlock the bootloader and root the device.

When/if 4.2.2 is pushed through, will i lose root?

I have mine rooted too and kept stock recovery.
    I think if u download app called OTA root keeper u should keep your root.
    Before u update OTA run the app.
    That's what I'm gonna try do. If it doesn't work just root again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

budhabob wrote: »
    How long do updates take to get pushed through? Just checked there and my system is 4.2.1 and up to date.

No sign of 4.2.2 on my N4. I even tried to force the OTA update by the usual method

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

and whilst it worked for my N7 it made no difference on the N4.

4.2.2 installing now. Managed to start the OTA upgrade using the force stop method above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Yep, worked perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Just installed mine there. No noticeable difference as of yet.

budhabob wrote: »
    Just installed mine there. No noticeable difference as of yet.

Looks like just some minor tweaks and patches
    http://www.androidcentral.com/what-s-new-android-422

Nexus 10 just received the update as well, so that's the 4, 7 and 10 done.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

Got my Nexus 4 last week, working a treat!

One annoying thing I cant fix though is the Google Play store... It shows everything in pounds instead of euros, and shows UK apps to me too. I changed my billing and shipping address back to Ireland after I had set it to Parcel Motel for delivery but that hasnt changed the Play store.

Anyone else have the same problem? How can you switch it to Ireland?

Oh and for anyone looking for cases, theres lots of cheap ones on Deal Extreme. Just ordered one, hasnt arrived yet but looks great. Other accessories are available there too, see www.dx.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

spooner_j wrote: »
    Got my Nexus 4 last week, working a treat!

One annoying thing I cant fix though is the Google Play store... It shows everything in pounds instead of euros, and shows UK apps to me too. I changed my billing and shipping address back to Ireland after I had set it to Parcel Motel for delivery but that hasnt changed the Play store.

Anyone else have the same problem? How can you switch it to Ireland?

Oh and for anyone looking for cases, theres lots of cheap ones on Deal Extreme. Just ordered one, hasnt arrived yet but looks great. Other accessories are available there too, see www.dx.com
    It's related to your CC address, change it back to Ireland or remove it and re-add it - it will revert to Ireland in about 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

advertsfox wrote: »
    It's related to your CC address, change it back to Ireland or remove it and re-add it - it will revert to Ireland in about 30 minutes.

Thanks for that. I had changed it back already but it never updated... Deleted it completely and added my debit card as a new Irish address. Still hasnt updated though... I'll wait a day or so and see if it eventually switches over.

I'm getting much better battery usage since installing the patch.
    18hours and still got 55%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

iggy wrote: »
    I have mine rooted too and kept stock recovery.
    I think if u download app called OTA root keeper u should keep your root.
    Before u update OTA run the app.
    That's what I'm gonna try do. If it doesn't work just root again.

Can confirm this worked.
    Got notification of update. Then I downloaded it.
    Before I pressed install I opened OTA root keeper and pressed
    ' temp un root'
    Then installed the 4.2.2 update .
    When reboots open OTA root keeper and press restore root.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

It looks like we might get a developer version of Ubuntu on our Nexus 4's in a week or so. I wonder if it will dual boot? I might switch for a week or so, but I'm not sure if I would give up Android now that I have started using it.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/02/15/1922234/ubuntu-for-phones-to-arrive-next-week-on-nexus-4

Battery performance so far today (and yesterday)

O0sLZxNl.jpg

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Battery performance so far today (and yesterday)

O0sLZxNl.jpg
    Did you disable your data for this duration?

I've been home all day so I've been using WiFi, 2g only and data disabled.
    0OALLtNl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Hi guys,just got me one of these...do ye all put screen protectors on the front screen? any particular brands better than others? i got a rearth slim cover for the back so am just thinking should i get a protector for the front..

I have to agree power consumption since the upgrade is great. Mine has only used 6 percent whilst on standby for the last 7.5 hours. That is with WiFi on and background sync on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

celticsfan wrote: »
    Hi guys,just got me one of these...do ye all put screen protectors on the front screen? any particular brands better than others? i got a rearth slim cover for the back so am just thinking should i get a protector for the front..

You would sully such artwork with a screen protector?

You disgust me sir.

• Advertisement

You would sully such artwork with a screen protector?

You disgust me sir.

Lol that would be the joy of having a few young ones who like to play with the phone more than me..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

celticsfan wrote: »
    Lol that would be the joy of having a few young ones who like to play with the phone more than me..

In that case, see if you can get a comppatible version of this.

In that case, see if you can get a comppatible version of this.

Bravo sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Right lads how are we going to get our hands on the wireless charging orb?

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Right lads how are we going to get our hands on the wireless charging orb?
    eBay? I wish there was a PM service for the US.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=nexus+orb&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone got any recommendations for cheaper wireless chargers? Google Orb is going to be hard for us to get for a while, its overpriced and from reading around on other forums people are reporting that it has problems holding onto the phone causing it to slide off?

Anyone got any recommendations for cheaper wireless chargers? Google Orb is going to be hard for us to get for a while, its overpriced and from reading around on other forums people are reporting that it has problems holding onto the phone causing it to slide off?
    Yeah it's only held in place by a rubber ring support.

The Orb uses a Qi Wireless Charging Standard so any Nokia Lumia chargers will work (such as the charging pillow / plate). I would start by look on Amazon :)

UPDATE: Only £37 with free UK shipping (use PM address) so that's c. €42 and it comes in a load of different colours :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009WKGN9G/ref=sr_1_4_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1361188030&sr=8-4&condition=new

xKsluYC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Finally gettinga round to setting mine up...Coming fronm a Galaxy Nexus (which I have to say I was a bit sad to "decommission" as it was an excellent phone)

Hope this baby doesn't let me down.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Has anybody noticed any issues with sending text messages since the 4.2.2 update? Sending to an american number, when I have signal and credit, will always fail on the first go. Half the time it will then send on the second try, but sometimes it doesn't send at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

advertsfox wrote: »
    UPDATE: Only £37 with free UK shipping (use PM address) so that's c. €42 and it comes in a load of different colours :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009WKGN9G/ref=sr_1_4_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1361188030&sr=8-4&condition=new

According to the reviews, that one doesn't work with the nexus 4?

Advertisement