Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnePlus Nord

• 01-07-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Looks like oneplus are releasing a new budget-mid range phone details are rather thin so far bar they are holding a weekly comp for 100 invites to pre-order the phone.

Could be very interesting phone if the price is right as would be a direct competitor to the likes of xiaomi, the pixel.

https://www.techradar.com/in/news/oneplus-nord-price-confirmed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Looks very interesting! Some pre-order dates coming up:
    https://www.oneplus.com/ie/nord/pre-order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Crazy pre ordering something without knowing confirmed specs/price etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Is the size confirmed? Need to change my S8 but really would like something a similar size - S20 seems to be the only option at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Watching this one myself

They've kept it very quiet, no leaks or anything going yet ?

If the price and spec are good I could buying it

I'm over due a new phone now

Watching this one myself

They've kept it very quiet, no leaks or anything going yet ?

If the price and spec are good I could buying it

I'm over due a new phone now

A few details are known about it

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_nord_5g-10289.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

xtal191 wrote: »

Thanks for that

Some specs are it are decent and some a bit of a step backwards like video recording at 30fps

But then again these are only rumours until the device is fully confirmed by OnePlus.

Then again if you get the usual like NFC, 90hz screen rate and so on for less than €300 (according to that website anyway) then that makes it a great choice for a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Can pre-order today but think i'd rather wait for reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Then again if you get the usual like NFC, 90hz screen rate and so on for less than €300 (according to that website anyway) then that makes it a great choice for a phone.

Just spotted that at the end of the spec! They have a few links about it.

One Plus confirmed it will be under 500 quid. I reckon 450-499 is more realistic. Some alongside the budget iphone se price.

No chance it'll be under 300, my guess is around 450.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Final pre-orders today...anyone pre-order in the 1st or 2nd wave?!

Looks like a decent phone. Wonder if the camera will be any good...

Good interview with Carl by MKBHD yesterday too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-VInHvlrZo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pre ordered there.

My 3T is looking worse for wear, but I can't justify nearly a grand on a new phone. Bit of a gamble, but if it's OnePlus it's going to be a half decent phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

If anyone missed out on the pre order and want a pre order voucher send me a PM...you can have it for what I paid (€20)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Pacifico wrote: »
    If anyone missed out on the pre order and want a pre order voucher send me a PM...you can have it for what I paid (€20)

Do you mind me asking why you've changed your mind? In the market for a new phone myself and considering this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Starting at €399 that's some phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd nearly be tempted to sell my S10+ for 400 and get the Nord instead!

Cina wrote: »
    I'd nearly be tempted to sell my S10+ for 400 and get the Nord instead!

Why would you do that? Fair enough if you were pocketing some cash and getting the Nord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Why would you do that? Fair enough if you were pocketing some cash and getting the Nord
    90Hz panel, much better UI, better, faster software updates. Snapdragon instead of Exynos (admittedly a less powerful Snapdragon, but still). 5G capability.

I also find the curved screen really annoying, I would've switched it for the 8 or 8 Pro already if they didn't have one, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's £349 for the 8GB/128GB variant on Amazon if you're a Prime Member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

Be interesting to see reviews for the OnePlus Buds they released today alongside the Nord. They look good on paper and are a reasonable price, although a bit ugly to look at.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tempting to move from my poco F1 to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I was waiting for the Nokia 8.3 5G to launch because that seems like a good phone but with it consistently only being teased without any real launch date the Nord might just be something for me.

I thought of OnePlus 8 but giving my restrictive travel I think a mid range might just be good enough.

dmn22 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see reviews for the OnePlus Buds they released today alongside the Nord. They look good on paper and are a reasonable price, although a bit ugly to look at.

https://www.engadget.com/oneplus-buds-hands-on-specs-price-availability-143007708.html

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_buds_review-news-44366.php

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Been looking at a couple of the unboxing videos around. Looks like a good phone. Currently have a pocophone F1. Did pre-order give you a discount or something?

MarkR wrote: »
    Did pre-order give you a discount or something?
    Apparently?
    It's all a bit confusing tbh.

https://www.oneplus.com/ie/oneplus-nord

The price listed there is €409, but when you use the pre-order code, it's still €409. When you go to checkout, it shows the price as €430 with a €20 discount.

So I'm very confused. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I need time to look properly. The €399 price applies to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

seamus wrote: »
    Apparently?
    It's all a bit confusing tbh.

The price listed there is €409, but when you use the pre-order code, it's still €409. When you go to checkout, it shows the price as €430 with a €20 discount.

So I'm very confused. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I need time to look properly. The €399 price applies to Germany.

Buy from Amazon for £349? Works out at €383.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BPGX4B2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_z8YfFbCEZQCTJ

I guess the idea here is that if you pre-order now you'll get it by the end of the month and it won't be sold out.

I was going to say it was wildly optimistic, but I see they sold out 3 rounds of pre orders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think the buds would be ok value with a OnePlus phone, but otherwise not worth it, basic enough features and quality. If other earbuds had AAC only they'd have longer battery life too as it's the lowest bit rate codec.
    Not in the market for a phone at the moment but it looks decent enough for €400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whats the “surprise gift” thing when ordering? Options are flagship camera, 90hz display etc.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Whats the “surprise gift” thing when ordering? Options are flagship camera, 90hz display etc.

Marketing gimmick, you get all of those as standard features.

TitianGerm wrote: »

That price is for prime members only. If you never had a trial than you could sign up for the trial and also get it at that price.

Otherwise it’s 30£ more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Agree with an earlier post commending OnePlus for managing to keep the phone's price down while including some good specs - it seems to be a really great bundle.

However, I'm not a great fan of the double punch hole pill shape on the front.

And I'm a little concerned about the main camera quality - OnePlus 8 reviews say it doesn't impress on that device.

I know at that price point I'm expecting too much - I may need to find an extra few hundred euro to afford a device with better camera specs, or alternatively, wait for Pixel 4a, whenever that sees the light of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Marketing gimmick, you get all of those as standard features.

Yeah, the surprise gift thing seems really weird!

I saw one comment elsewhere saying they got the Poco f2 pro on AliExpress for 420. I have a Poco F1, thinking the Nord might be a better buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Anybody know if any of the carriers will offer the Nord with their plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

The surprise gifts are actually decent. Picking the right option actually could get you the new oneplus buds.

:)

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/what-does-select-a-surprise-gift-for-your-nord-means.1261740/

90hz is sandstone black case
    Cameras is screen protector
    Charger is sandstone blue case
    5g is blue buds
    Oxygen os is white buds

B Rabbit wrote: »
    The surprise gifts are actually decent. Picking the right option actually could get you the new oneplus buds.

:)

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/what-does-select-a-surprise-gift-for-your-nord-means.1261740/

90hz is sandstone black case
    Cameras is screen protector
    Charger is sandstone blue case
    5g is blue buds
    Oxygen os is white buds

You can't order from the oneplus site now can you? And I presume the free gifts won't be there in a couple of weeks. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

You can pre order it off Amazon uk for £349 (£30 off 379 if you pre order) - about €385 at the minute through revolut if you want to.
    Think ill be going for it and through amazon. Buying for work and Oneplus wont give VAT receipts which stopped me buying from them before a good while back. Looks like a great phone for the money.

I was reading that the buds aren't fantastic for actually listening to music, like the apple buds, you can hear a lot of noise. Might be better going for Amazon and then actually buying a pair of buds separately from another company.

You can pre order it off Amazon uk for £349 (£30 off 379 if you pre order) - about €385 at the minute through revolut if you want to.
    Think ill be going for it and through amazon. Buying for work and Oneplus wont give VAT receipts which stopped me buying from them before a good while back. Looks like a great phone for the money.

Plus, Amazon lets you pre-order while oneplus is now to "Coming Soon - available in 12 days".

Yes, you will not get a gift but at least you know you get it first (after the previously pre-orders).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I had a Oneplus X which was a reasonable deal at the time, but they did not continue that range which seemed rather odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Raoul wrote: »
    You can't order from the oneplus site now can you? And I presume the free gifts won't be there in a couple of weeks. :o

No , I think it was just via early invites.
    Raoul wrote: »
    I was reading that the buds aren't fantastic for actually listening to music, like the apple buds, you can hear a lot of noise. Might be better going for Amazon and then actually buying a pair of buds separately from another company.

Yeah, well they're not going to compete with the likes of Bose QC 35s. They're wireless buds without noise cancelling and they're tiny.

So don't expect them compete. I have airpods and Bose 35s.

Each have their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

The buds do look extremely underwhelming.

For not too much more money you can buy a lot better Id say.

adox wrote: »
    The buds do look extremely underwhelming.

For not too much more money you can buy a lot better Id say.

Yea, no silicon tips either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I had a Oneplus X which was a reasonable deal at the time, but they did not continue that range which seemed rather odd.

I still have one of these! Still works well but starting to slow down a bit. (And the onboard storage is tiny).

Will the Nord be around the same size in the hand, does anyone know?

gaffmaster wrote: »
    I still have one of these! Still works well but starting to slow down a bit. (And the onboard storage is tiny).

Will the Nord be around the same size in the hand, does anyone know?

Nord would be a good bit bigger I think:
    X - 5.51 x 2.72 x 0.27 inches (140 x 69 x 6.9 mm)
    Nord - 6.23 x 2.89 x 0.32 inches (158.3 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/OnePlus-X,OnePlus-Nord/phones/9781,11407

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Nord would be a good bit bigger I think:
    X - 5.51 x 2.72 x 0.27 inches (140 x 69 x 6.9 mm)
    Nord - 6.23 x 2.89 x 0.32 inches (158.3 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/OnePlus-X,OnePlus-Nord/phones/9781,11407

You can get a decent visualisation of the differences in the prototype section on kimovil https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/oneplus-x-eu,oneplus-z

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Can someone explain to me why this phone is for sale at €399 all over Europe, but €409 for Ireland?

This is not going to stop me buying it :D but this looks suspicious to say the least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Dhenalau wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why this phone is for sale at €399 all over Europe, but €409 for Ireland?

This is not going to stop me buying it :D but this looks suspicious to say the least...

Different VAT rates?

Also, ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk, which came out cheaper than the other Amazon sites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement