Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

LilacNails wrote: »
    I got out this morning for a 3hr cycle it's done wonders. I think morning best suits me to go out and exercise , gives me the feeling IV done something good and positive for myself.

Feeling way better than the last few days.

That's it, well done to you. People need to get out in the fresh air, especially on a beautiful day like today, go for a walk/run/cycle whatever exercise suits. I can't understand how people can spend their time mopping around the house feeling sorry for themselves and dwelling on the negatives of this crazy situation we all find ourselves in at the moment, nothing to be gained from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

GoneHome wrote: »
    That's it, well done to you. People need to get out in the fresh air, especially on a beautiful day like today, go for a walk/run/cycle whatever exercise suits. I can't understand how people can spend their time mopping around the house feeling sorry for themselves and dwelling on the negatives of this crazy situation we all find ourselves in at the moment, nothing to be gained from it.

You just don't understand depression so, thankfully I'm on the very mild end. Anyone entering the last 2 months with severe depression, I dont know how they'll survive.

I'm an introverted person so this has sort of had a drastically different effect on me. I have natural anxiety about the virus and exercising common sense etc. I worry about family members and friends etc. But truth be told, I've realised that I was forcing myself to be far more outgoing than my own brain tolerates. I'm working from home on a reduced salary but I'm in a better headspace as I put myself under less pressure to match a norm..

I know I'm a definite outlier but it wasn't something I was expecting.

That simply doesn't apply to everyone, exercise is definitely helpful in general. But it's effect will vary. As a person with depression and anxiety, I'm generally highly active but its effect isn't on my mental health is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

The thing is, it's not always a choice.

I use see it like u, but having gotten to a stage, where I mentally and emotionally I do not want to leave the house... It's very hard to just go out and do something. I'm thankful for the days I do manage my mind over matter. Other days, I just can't do it, and sometimes it's ok if it happens, as long as u know tomorrow I have to get up again and not let this beat me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

GoneHome, can you entertain me for a moment and take part in the following exercise.

Say you are in your kitchen and you want to drink a cup of coffee. What are the 5 steps you must complete in order to do so. Can you fill them out below. I've done the first one to show you what I mean.

1 - Fill Kettle and put it on the boil
    2 -
    3 -
    4 -
    5 -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Already feel today isn't going to be an easy day. Feeling a bit over whelmed.... My personal issues feel bigger today, I need a cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Telling that one of the lesser used part of this forum is the mental health thread. :(

People are too busy telling other people they're committing murder by going outside their house.

A great service to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Is anyone else feeling it very difficult to get to sleep at night? I'm not overwhelmed with anxiety, consciously anyway, but maybe it's just the general anxiety and uncertainty pervading everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is anyone else feeling it very difficult to get to sleep at night? I'm not overwhelmed with anxiety, consciously anyway, but maybe it's just the general anxiety and uncertainty pervading everything?

Hi, don't have an issue with actually falling asleep usually but the last week or so I've been waking a number of times during the night and looking over at the clock...probably all to do with my anxiety. I feel like I've slept enough though despite this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, I am doing ok myself these days. Like a few others here I have been in the mental health system for a number of years after a month-long stay in a psych ward about 8 years ago. early morning cycles are a great boost to my recovery and lately, I have been using an indoor exercise bike. There is no room in my book to knock the mental health system as they do there best with limited resources and only hope that others in these tough times are not suffering too much.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I am struggling tbh. And I struggle with the work/home blurred line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Going into a depressed state and struggling with an ED which has made everything worse. No motivation for work or exercise. Also living with emotionally abusive people.

Tanya Sweeney had a great article about this in last Saturday's Irish Times, she had a very humorous take on it

early morning cycles are a great boost to my recover.

This is totally the way to go, exercise in what ever form suits you - walking, running, cycling, just get off your a$%e, good for body and soul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Oh yeah, sleep all messed up, have slept right through alarms, and until Mid afternoon on some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sleep all messed up, have slept right through alarms, and until Mid afternoon on some days.

That's it, the getting to sleep is torture but then waking up in the morning/afternoon is hard to do also!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,874 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

getting too in the habit of not sleeping til 4am, up watching Youtube vids etc. In turn getting up after 2pm the next day etc

My workplace is in phase 5 of the roadmap so still a few months til im possibly back

I started walking long distances seriously in the last few weeks and quite like it. Great for the head and fitness

Seems to be an air of optimisim around today with Phase 1 starting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm finding Social Media, Facebook especially very triggering for my anxiety. The general goodwill towards the efforts towards protecting us seems to be evaporating and terms like "this virus isn't so bad, it's only a flu" etc seems to be creeping back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is war at home base .. my father, a social guy and a ‘do-er’ has been bored and I guess missing his trips to his sisters and seeing his friends . He decided this morning to do what he was threatening to do and called his handy man / plumber mate to see if he can come around and fix a fairly leaky tap that has been annoying him. He just got voicemail but apparently my mother who isn’t one for drama or raising her voice went ape at him...

“With everything going on, you are fixated with bringing a person into this house, who by nature is a talker, a social person , by profession meeting LOTS of people daily for their work...in houses, on sites, in close quarters, to fix a leaky tap !?”

He needs a hot cup of cop the fûck on and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I found people were okay a few weeks ago and now they are getting restless. They’ve no issue with the phased reopening or not being able to go places but this new normal is starting to bother them and what the future has in store.
    Seeing what a pub will be like, Ben Dunne saying that pools, etc won’t open for a long time, etc makes the future seem sort of bleak!

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I started walking long distances seriously in the last few weeks and quite like it. Great for the head and fitness

Yes it's absolutely fantastic isn't it, I'm doing minimum 5 km walk everyday, some days more, the weather has been exceptional the past few weeks, can't beat being out in the fresh air.

Have to say living in the beautiful rural countryside where I am has been an absolute blessing during all the travel restrictions these past couple of months, being able to walk and explore everyday and rarely another person on the roads never mind a car, also being blessed with a big garden that continuously needs up-keeping means we are never bored. I don't envy people who live in built up cities or urban areas in general who have none of this. Niall Ferguson had a great article about it in last weekends Sunday Times, he too is all for the rural way of life :) Link to the article here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-its-a-bugs-life-in-the-city-they-can-keep-it-vmx9mx0b9

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

I've been on lockdown since January and having heard that the virus doesnt happen twice in succession (reinfection), I've kinda had enough.

Seriously. Enough of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,874 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus you'd eat like a horse after a long walk

May has been a long long month I found and were still months away from a return to much less restriction

Numbers going down is promising but we have stubborn leaders (with the main one been only the CMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Have to say living in the beautiful rural countryside where I am has been an absolute blessing during all the travel restrictions these past couple of months, being able to walk and explore everyday and rarely another person on the roads never mind a car, also being blessed with a big garden that continuously needs up-keeping means we are never bored. I don't envy people who live in built up cities or urban areas in general who have none of this. Niall Ferguson had a great article about it in last weekends Sunday Times, he too is all for the rural way of life :) Link to the article here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-its-a-bugs-life-in-the-city-they-can-keep-it-vmx9mx0b9

Not the case where I am - very rural and my road is unwalkable due to cars flying around bends at 100km. Normally I drive to a safe place to walk, instead I’m stuck with jumping into the ditch here. I’d give anything for paved streets and parks in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Archeron

Anybody else having mad nightmares? Every morning I wake up and think wtf was that. One of them actually had clowns on stilts :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CharlesDarwin

Yes I dream of being chased by attractive ladies every day of the week. It`s awful

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

On the Friday before Christmas last year I had to walk to town to post Christmas cards because our car was blocked in.
    When I got there the lights were on in the town and there was a fanatic buzz around the town.
    After a while my mother collected me and we went into a few small shops and bumped into people we knew and browsed around a few places and bought a few things , chatting, etc and there was a general good vibe and we got food and went home.
    Now people will say Christmas isn't about shopping, gifts and this year after all you should know the importance of family, etc but with the new normal times like this won't be as enjoyable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Yes it's absolutely fantastic isn't it, I'm doing minimum 5 km walk everyday, some days more, the weather has been exceptional the past few weeks, can't beat being out in the fresh air.

Long walks get fairly boring fairly fast i have found. Starts to feel like a hamster wheel after a while. I found a huge difference in mood after going up three rock though. just pushed me a bit more going uphill and all.

I guess variety is the spice of life.

• Advertisement

Long walks get fairly boring fairly fast i have found. Starts to feel like a hamster wheel after a while. I found a huge difference in mood after going up three rock though. just pushed me a bit more going uphill and all.

I guess variety is the spice of life.

I tend to read and walk so just get stuck into novel and doesn't matter where I am.

Advertisement