Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A plea to abolish the "thanks" system on this site

Options
  • 04-02-2019 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

It's my take that the "thanks" system operant not only on this public form in particular but throughout the internet in general should be immediately disabled by those capable of doing so. The only function it serves is to align those with matching divisive ideological tendencies or to gain cheap approval.

For example, if a post which contained the highest degree of prejudicial/ideological bias possible despite the real value of it's content such as "woman/blacks = victim, man/whites = oppressor", this would be prone to the highest amount of likes, whereas a highly nuanced post taking a myriad of angles on a given issue would receive the lowest.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm immune to self-aggrandisement and wouldn't tend to habitually check and see if my posts are liked, however I can say I am very much conscious of my tendency towards doing so and the feature is only promoting the reverse kind of greater unconsciousness.

It seems to me to be no coincidence that this website has formed in the way it has as a a specifically Irish forum. I don't necessarily see other countries, even those comparable in size doing so. I don't think anyone will take it as a controversial or slanderous remark to say that communication on the ground in Ireland tends not lightly towards superficiality and conformity. It's really no surprise why. We don't speak our own native language relative to our ethnic heritage. This means there is always inherent within us a tendency to appeal to what is beyond our own capacity, looking for mere approval rather than internal coherency and consistency. It seems this as a compensation to this situation this public forum has emerged, and I believe it is something we should cherish most dearly. It's value however seems to be being compromised by the aforementioned feature, whatever amount of individual expression positively enabled through the anonymised circumstance being in equal measure stifled by the usual collectivist tendencies native to Ireland in it's current condition.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Is this a real imperative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jmsg wrote: »
    It's my take that the "thanks" system operant not only on this public form in particular but throughout the internet in general should be immediately disabled by those capable of doing so. The only function it serves is to align those with matching divisive ideological tendencies or to gain cheap approval.

For example, if a post which contained the highest degree of prejudicial/ideological bias possible despite the real value of it's content such as "woman/blacks = victim, man/whites = oppressor", this would be prone to the highest amount of likes, whereas a highly nuanced post taking a myriad of angles on a given issue would receive the lowest.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm immune to self-aggrandisement and wouldn't tend to habitually check and see if my posts are liked, however I can say I am very much conscious of my tendency towards doing so and the feature is only promoting the reverse kind of greater unconsciousness.

It seems to me to be no coincidence that this website has formed in the way it has as a a specifically Irish forum. I don't necessarily see other countries, even those comparable in size doing so. I don't think anyone will take it as a controversial or slanderous remark to say that communication on the ground in Ireland tends not lightly towards superficiality and conformity. It's really no surprise why. We don't speak our own native language relative to our ethnic heritage. This means there is always inherent within us a tendency to appeal to what is beyond our own capacity, looking for mere approval rather than internal coherency and consistency. It seems this as a compensation to this situation this public forum has emerged, and I believe it is something we should cherish most dearly. It's value however seems to be being compromised by the aforementioned feature, whatever amount of individual expression positively enabled through the anonymised circumstance being in equal measure stifled by the usual collectivist tendencies native to Ireland in it's current condition.

It can be and is abused in so many insidious sneaky ways that I agree with you. So many ways... and why not use pm if you feel strongly? Much more meaningful.

There is a forum called ravelry for wool crafts and they have refined this further! You can "disagree"! anonymously! Now THAT is sneaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If someone writes a post with a thesaurus, I'm definitely not thanking it.

Yours sincerely,
    Baby Kangaroo Tribbiani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

There are three people here who hit refresh on the main page all day hoping to get in on a new thread at the start.
    They make a stupid joke or abuse the original poster. Then they refresh the page checking how many thanks they got all day while checking for new threads to make stupid jokes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

My life is too short and too full to care one way or another. How much time do you spend on the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

It's really no surprise why. We don't speak our own native language relative to our ethnic heritage. This means there is always inherent within us a tendency to appeal to what is beyond our own capacity, looking for mere approval rather than internal coherency and consistency.

Wait... what?? lol

I've seen some fairly pie-in-the-sky assertions made, in regard to the consequences of us not speaking the ancient language of our dead ancestors on this Island... but this has to be one of the most hilarious and nonsensical yet!

And it's a shame you felt the need to conflate your point with something so utterly unrelated... you were making an interesting point!

I would have thanked your post, but you'd probably hate that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭thesandeman

If there wasn't a thanks button we would have an OP followed by the next 30 posts saying +1 (with most of them probably quoting the OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

Wait... what?? lol

I've seen some fairly pie-in-the-sky assertions made, in regard to the consequences of us not speaking the ancient language of our dead ancestors on this Island... but this has to be one of the most hilarious and nonsensical yet!

And it's a shame you felt the need to conflate your point with something so utterly unrelated... you were making an interesting point!

I would have thanked your post, but you'd probably hate that. :pac:

It's absurd to deny that there is an ethnic schism most prevalent in the psyches of Irish people today. The connection with speaking English might seem rather vague if one wishes to nitpick what I said but really I was pointing to the underlying history itself as most fundamental rather than the the corresponding surface level expressions that are the use of language.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I'm not going to pretend that I'm immune to self-aggrandisement and wouldn't tend to habitually check and see if my posts are liked, however I can say I am very much conscious of my tendency towards doing so and the feature is only promoting the reverse kind of greater unconsciousness./QUOTE]

You have 3 posts total on this site so how can you be contributing to "self-aggrandiesment", goodbye troll account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

How else can they analyse us? Secret semantic tags on the posts descibing what they are, thanking them contribute to a model of your persona. Like the netflix suggestions, algorithm but evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

How else can they analyse us? Secret semantic tags on the posts descibing what they are, thanking them contribute to a model of your persona. Like the netflix suggestions, algorithm but evil.
    https://www.boards.ie/love.php?match=hot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

There are three people here who hit refresh on the main page all day hoping to get in on a new thread at the start.
    They make a stupid joke or abuse the original poster. Then they refresh the page checking how many thanks they got all day while checking for new threads to make stupid jokes on.

I find it more bizarre you take the time to monitor these people's movements tbh.

AH is a breeding ground for thanks-whores there's so many idiotic threads posted on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

But your post count isn't high enough for that:confused:

Therefore you must be a rereg, it seems like the reason for this is that you are concerned that your normal handle would loose out on thanks, what a hypocrisy :rolleyes::):):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

It's absurd to deny that there is an ethnic schism most prevalent in the psyches of Irish people today. The connection with speaking English might seem rather vague if one wishes to nitpick what I said but really I was pointing to the underlying history itself as most fundamental rather than the the corresponding surface level expressions that are the use of language.

Well, you did refer specifically to language... that's why I pulled you up on it.

If you had talked about the possible lasting consequences of our people being oppressed under a former colonial power, I might have been more inclined to agree with you...

But I really don't think there is much or any historical baggage attached to the fact that we still speak the language of our former oppressors... it's just a language. It's a tool for communication... and it's a tool we actually happen to be quite skillful at using tbh... as evidenced by our many accomplished writers and public figures etc.

For me, there definitely are some lingering cultural issues with regard to how we form opinions in this country. And how likely we are to, say, hold an unfashionable opinion for example... but not language specifically. Not for me anyway...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

*Sarcastic comment

/end sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd rather see an properly enforced ban on re-reg, throw-away and sock-puppet accounts and a wait period between creating a new account and posting on After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There should be an unthank button to discourage the same gibberish that pops up in every single thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

kneemos wrote: »
    There should be an unthank button to discourage the same gibberish that pops up in every single thread.

There is!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,060 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just equalise things by offering an "dislike" option.

Why are you softies always so quick to look to ban things?

There is!

Where. Question mark.

Where. Question mark.

The unthank button is to remove your thanks.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The unthank button is to remove your thanks.

This,this is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

An upvote/downvote system like Reddit then.

An upvote/downvote system like Reddit then.

No. A thank unthank option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Lunatic left trying to get likes/dislikes removed from social media too.
    I wonder why, cos sensible posts are getting thousands of likes and their bull**** is getting f-all ??

I'd rather see an properly enforced ban on re-reg, throw-away and sock-puppet accounts and a wait period between creating a new account and posting on After Hours.

100%

The complete acceptance of unfettered re-regs is not only no hindetence to trolls or shills... But is a blatent invitation for them.

Some forums I frequent have the same posters re-regging every few months.... Pushing their troll behaviour to the limit, including bans, but then just re - regging and playing the game till they are recognised again.

Its like whack-a-troll.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bring back +ive and -ive rep...then see where you are OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Actually that would be a good idea, would really clean AH up.

edit - or maybe not, at the same time I like some of the troll threads created by brand new users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Unless you can see through your computer or phone screen and mind read and judge peoples intentions, i would venture a very educated guess that you sir/madame are projecting your own **** all over boards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

You’ve only just joined the site yesterday. Give it time FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

so you want to scrap it on the basis of ideology rather than functionality?

Advertisement