Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foróige Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2017. Seems dodgy.

Options
  • 31-03-2017 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

This years winning idea/product - gender neutral clothing.. Which are basically just sweatshirts with slogans printed on them. Not too difficult to get a load of sweatshirts printed up. I could design and order a batch in 10 minutes. I think the other finalists were done over to make way for right on PC bias, i'd be pissed off if I was them. What do you think?

http://www.thejournal.ie/teenager-youth-entrepeneur-3316940-Mar2017/

Of course Katherine Zappone approves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bit mad, basically flogging unisex clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

WTF? That's a sweatshirt. Haven't they always been unisex more or less? My ex had to get certain womans sizes as she had very big boobs, but she often wore my stuff.

And how do you stop it being copied? Anybody anywhere can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would they have a "I SHOT JR" in a large?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Red Kev wrote: »
    WTF? That's a sweatshirt. Haven't they always been unisex more or less? My ex had to get certain womans sizes as she had very big boobs, but she often wore my stuff.

And how do you stop it being copied? Anybody anywhere can do that.

There is no way copyright any of it because there is absolutely nothing unique about it. Go onto one of the many T-shirt/Sweatshirt printing companies online and get a couple of dozen sweatshirts printed up with whatever slogan you like in block capitals.

I think the other finalists were done over to make way for right on PC bias, i'd be pissed off if I was them

Yeah, I'm sure the other finalists who made personalised dog-collars and cosmic tie-dyed t-shirts were devastated that their more worthy products didn't win. :rolleyes:

It's not just about the product, it's about setting up a business.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/donegal-teenager-wins-entrepreneur-award-with-gender-neutral-clothes-1.3031282
    Seven entrepreneurs exhibiting 14 products were shortlisted for the award. Personalised dog collars, hand-crafted pencil holders and cosmic tie-dyed T-shirts were among the product items exhibited by the finalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Surely the point of the prize is that it go to an idea that will sell and make money. Not an idea that Jimmy Garlic finds compatible with his world view.

(Although on a separate note, gender neutral childrens clothing would be good. I've talked to friends who have toddlers and they say that most stuff for boys is quite bland. It'd be an idea to make clothing that's a bit brighter and at that stage you could market it to both genders. It even makes passing clothes down to younger siblings a bit easier. )

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

What do you think?.

I think I've better things to be doing than begrudging a teenager for winning something.

It's not about how quickly you can have something printed off on clothing, or if you can think of something more clever to say. It's the idea behind it, what it stands for and entrepreneurship. Are you normally this obtuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Estrellita wrote: »
    I think I've better things to be doing than begrudging a teenager for winning something.

It's not about how quickly you can have something printed off on clothing, or if you can think of something more clever to say. It's the idea behind it, what it stands for and entrepreneurship. Are you normally this obtuse?

Except theres nothing unique about her idea from a business perspective, which at best is just a bland rip off of whats already on the market.

For example

https://www.genderfreeworld.com/

https://sixty-nine.us/collections/general

https://www.onedna.us/

There is no way copyright any of it because there is absolutely nothing unique about it
    Venom wrote: »
    Except theres nothing unique about her idea from a business perspective

Who said it had to be a "unique" idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not about the product its about the business and if she could get a bunch of bellends to buy these then she fully deserves the award.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Didnt someone at that competition invent soaps that could be used by people with skin conditions that would not have caused outbreaks, hives or rashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Would they have a "I SHOT JR" in a large?

They do have "THEY SHOT JR"

Gender neutral after all.

;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

valoren wrote: »
    Don't you mean "THEY SHOT JR"?

Being gender neutral and all that?

;)

Deep down we all shot JR....

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Except theres nothing unique about her idea from a business perspective, which at best is just a bland rip off of whats already on the market.

Nor is there anything unique about dog collars etc.

If I come up with my own take on a strawberry yogurt, am I ripping off Yoplait and the rest of them? Am I fcuk. She's as entitled as any of them to put her own twist on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Didnt someone at that competition invent soaps that could be used by people with skin conditions that would not have caused outbreaks, hives or rashes.

Been around since soap was invented. It's natural soap without all the scent and chemicals thrown in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It's not really about the clothes though. It's about the concept and the morketing.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    It's not really about the clothes though. It's about the concept and the morketing.

The market for mass produced sweatshirts with slogans in block capitals is pretty much saturated already. Go on Ebay there and order one in any size you like with the ''gender neutral'' slogan of your choosing. 20 quid or so.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CUSTOM-PRINTED-SWEATSHIRT-Personalised-Stag-Hen-Workwear-Event-Staff-/232154331449?var=531358915181&hash=item360d79f939:m:mtvHBYM5CIvkXr-MkLYxqXQ

The market for mass produced sweatshirts with slogans in block capitals is pretty much saturated already. Go on Ebay there and order one in any size you like with the ''gender neutral'' slogan of your choosing. 20 quid or so.

Fashion though. Follow the trend. Gender neutral is all In at the moment.

Fashion though. Follow the trend. Gender neutral is all In at the moment.

When were sweatshirts gender specific?

When were sweatshirts gender specific?

Never, but they never weren't either... at least not explicitly non-gender specific.

It is a load bullsh*te but so are a lot of things urban.

• Advertisement

What's 'dodgy' about it OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

None of the ideas in the comp appear to be unique.

bubblypop wrote: »

Just smells like more agenda pushing tbh.. Zappone all over it like hot snot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Do they sell any gender neutral bras?

My man boobs need harnessing. Don't judge me.

Do they sell any gender neutral bras?

My man boobs need harnessing. Don't judge me.

Are you thinking of becoming genderfluid? Just get a baggy sweatshirt and nobody will know what you are. Your boobs will be hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

People will complain about anything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bubblypop wrote: »

It's outrageous Joe. How dare she produce and design Clothes.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's outrageous Joe. How dare she produce and design Clothes.

She's hardly designing. She's buying mass produced sweatshirts and putting on quotes in big black letters she's found on facebook and instagram.
    If she's a designer a bricklayer is an architect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Women have been wearing "gender neutral" sweat shirts, trousers etc, for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

gramar wrote: »
    She's hardly designing. She's buying mass produced sweatshirts and putting on quotes in big black letters she's found on facebook and instagram.
    If she's a designer a bricklayer is an architect.

She's sixteen, she's hardly going to be manufacturing a clothing line. If she won with non-controversial lettering on the clothing, none of y'all would have a problem with this. None of the finalists seem particularly original. Is it really this easy to bait you? Ah lads.

Advertisement