Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foróige Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2017. Seems dodgy.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Women have been wearing "gender neutral" sweat shirts, trousers etc, for decades.

This is the extent of the 'designing....'

image.jpg

__Alex__ wrote: »
    She's sixteen, she's hardly going to be manufacturing a clothing line. If she won with non-controversial lettering on the clothing, none of y'all would have a problem with this. None of the finalists seem particularly original. Is it really this easy to bait you? Ah lads.

It's hardly controversial. If I saw one of these sweatshirts I wouldn't automatically think that person is gender whatever or supports gender fluidity.
    They are mass produced sweatshirts with a slogan. She has two and a t-shirt.
    I'd call that fairly unimaginative, anything but unique and either the competition was woeful or like the OP said it's a PC decision and not a business one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

gramar wrote: »
    It's hardly controversial. If I saw one of these sweatshirts I wouldn't automatically think that person is gender whatever or supports gender fluidity.
    They are mass produced sweatshirts with a slogan. She has two and a t-shirt.
    I'd call that fairly unimaginative, anything but unique and either the competition was woeful or like the OP said it's a PC decision and not a business one.

Once more for the cheap seats: none of the finalists are particularly original. This is what they had work with. Why shouldn't this girl have won?

The fact that you and others seems bothered by the idea of her winning because of the subject of the lettering betrays the fact that it's a little controversial. If the lettering was just, say, band names for example, I every much doubt there'd be a thread right now. Maybe if it was just band names she wouldn't have won, but out of a not very exciting bunch of finalists, may as well go with one that might attract a bit of attention. They seem to have accomplished that mission too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

She's sixteen, she's hardly going to be manufacturing a clothing line. If she won with non-controversial lettering on the clothing, none of y'all would have a problem with this. None of the finalists seem particularly original. Is it really this easy to bait you? Ah lads.

The question is whether she would have won by producing sweat shirts with the same text if she hadnt mentioned the magic pixie dust of gender neutrality.

If so then the rest of the completion had a right to be aggrieved that they didn't market themselves as gender neutral dog collars, gender neutral soap and gender neutral wheelie bin clips for windy weather

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The question is whether she would have won by producing sweat shirts with the same text if she hadnt mentioned the magic pixie dust of gender neutrality.

If so then the rest of the completion had a right to be aggrieved that they didn't market themselves as gender neutral dog collars, gender neutral soap and gender neutral wheelie bin clips for windy weather

It's outrageous Joe. She mentioned gender neutral.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

As I noted, maybe not. But considering none of the other finalists mentioned in the article seems much better, might as well go with something topical. It was almost certainly part of the decision-making. The winner showed savvy. Good for her.

As I noted, maybe not. But considering none of the other finalists mentioned in the article seems much better, might as well go with something topical. It was almost certainly part of the decision-making. The winner showed savvy. Good for her.

All well and good having an idea but if it's so easy to replicate it's not a good business idea.
    By the end of next week I could have 10 different models on a webpage with snappy slogans like 'it's gender not genitals' and suchlike.
    The likes of Penneys could have their stores flooded within weeks.

It's outrageous Joe. She mentioned gender neutral.

Nobody is outraged, nobody's calling joe.

Your one trick pony sneer and strawman was trite and unfunny the first time you managed to rifle up enough brain power to type a response to this thread. It gets less interesting each time.

All well and good having an idea but if it's so easy to replicate it's not a good business idea.
    By the end of next week I could have 10 different models on a webpage with snappy slogans like 'it's gender not genitals' and suchlike.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall. The finalists were what they had to work with clearly. All of the finalists that I can see produced something that was easy to replicate and indeed has probably already been done. So they had to pick someone. Should they have just cancelled the competition? And more to the point, would it bother you so much if one of the other finalists had won with their also easily-replicable entries?

Maybe. Of course the independent doesn't tell us about any other pertinent information. Maybe she is selling bucket loads already, or has a great business plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't think you know what gender neutral means.
    I'm wearing a gender neutral hoodie at the moment. It's a hoodie with a corporate logo on it. Everyone where I worked was given one. There's no difference between the one I got and the one the women got. It's nothing to do with genders, it's gender neutral.

Look at the logo's in the clothes she designed. They just say "Stand out" and "I am myself". Hardly a political statement. Doesn't even mention gender.

That's what gender neutral is. The idea is that absolutely anyone can wear them.

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm wearing a gender neutral hoodie at the moment. It's a hoodie with a corporate logo on it. Everyone where I worked was given one. There's no difference between the one I got and the one the women got. It's nothing to do with genders, it's gender neutral.

Look at the logo's in the clothes she designed. They just say "Stand out" and "I am myself". Hardly a political statement. Doesn't even mention gender.

That's what gender neutral is. The idea is that absolutely anyone can wear them.

You call it a gender neutral hoodie...I'd call it a hoodie. It appears unisex is on the way out and gender neutral is on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Grayson wrote: »

Hoodies,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodie

have been around for a long time as unisex clothing just like sweat pants and trainers. Are the latter two now "gender neutral" or are they still unisex? What about gloves or backpacks?

Even by your own statement, the winner just stuck generic non political and non gender neutral slogans on unisex clothing so calling her stuff out as some special gender neutral line of clothing is just bs.

At least the personalized dog collars are not something most people could make themselves but I guess gender neutral collars would of had more of a winning edge and scored more points with the judges!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The comments on the journal for this one are spot on , the failure of the other participants was to not hit the SJW trigger spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I guess the level of competition was quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

RobertKK wrote: »
    I guess the level of competition was quite poor.

One of the youngsters developed soap to sell to people with skin conditions, didn't market them as gender neutral though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Gender neutral clothing is pure idiocy and really is just a concept rather than something functional. Men and women generally have different body shapes and clothes need to reflect that. Apple bottom jeans, broad shouldered shirts etc. For it is somehow seen as progressive to have a clothing line which doesn't take women and men's natural body shapes into consideration when producing their clothes just shows the level of madness in our society today.

I think it irresponsible to give a young person an entrepreneurial award for getting involved in this kind of nonsense.

Advertisement