Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV licence soon required for PCs, laptops, and tablets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The trouble with projectors is they're not very practical for most houses. Really need a room for them, even the tiny ones aren't that neat when you've everything connected up to them, can be a mess of cables going up walls over ceilings, etc.

You're right though you can get a v.good 1080p projector for about the price of a 42'' TV. however i wouldn't bother wasting money on any of the cheap or low resolution ones.
    AHA! Many of them do wireless too, via apps and wifi connections. :p

In truth having taken a quick check that appears to up the price a bit closer to a 60" HD TV if you want 1920x1080 and wireless but again Amazon are great on sales (this one is £600 but currently £480, reckon with some patience you could get similar for £350) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-Entertainment-Projector-Brightness-Correction/dp/B015OEK0OC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1490692735&sr=8-6&keywords=benq+1920x1080+projector

You're probably right on lower resolution, though I just have a shockingly bad eye for quality once the image is clear and colours are vibrant. :o

Anyway I've strayed completely off subject so sorry about that, just think as they continue to get smaller in size while keeping resolution, lower in price, and tidier (e.g. wireless as standard) that projectors might be in for a bit of a boon not too far from now as more people switch to laptops, tablets etc as their primary source and on top of the TV licence, many won't want a TV taking up half the wall or needing a large table etc while costing so much and being stuck in one fixed location when they could have a tiny box that can be stored away when not in use. Not to say they'll be replacing TVs or anything, I just reckon we might be seeing a good few more in households 10-15 years from now that we do today.

EDIT: Completely off topic but randomly saw this and holy sh*t! http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/27/14737824/sony-xperia-touch-projector-android-touchscreen-mwc-2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Míshásta wrote: »
    I don't understand people who say they never view or listen to RTE programmes. How do they keep informed about news, current affairs, sports, investigative documentaries or entertainment/culture events, etc., relevant to this island.

RTE may have its faults but unless you want to live on a diet of Hollywood movies, Aussie soaps and Judge Judy, it's the best source. TV3 does provide some Irish content programmes but it's a very limited service.

I have a subscription to the Irish Times. I have YouTube, netflix and other services. I don't need RTE for anything. The thing is that I have two paid subscriptions means that I'm not stingy either. If RTE were worth it, I'd happily pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

murpho999 wrote: »
    It would cost you more than that to get up to the North and back.

It's just one idea, there must be loads of ways to get rid of the TV licence and collect money.

It would eliminate need for collectors, inspectors, administration, court costs etc.
    Indeed it would if that was the only reason for the trip. I visit Northern Ireland regularly enough for family and work, so it wouldn't cost me anything. My situation cannot be unique. Anyone living or working in the border counties could do likewise. Amazon's click and collect service is available at border post offices.
    In addition, for the more expensive purchases, the difference between UK and Irish VAT becomes more significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This will only affect those that don't already pay their TV licence.

How ?
    Since I started having my own gaff mearly 30 years ago I've never paid a tv licence, it's just a poor service paying mediocre staff huge money, the "public seevice" they provode could be done on a shoestring with one tv station and broadcast the audio of this as radio.
    So, I've never so far paid, I have no intention on starting to pay, how will I somehow have to pay when they haven't managed to make me pay on the last 30 years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

RTE is an analog organisation in a digital age.
    Viewership has evolved and RTE is in danger of becoming extinct.
    There is bigger and better radio, television etc to be consumed over the internet.
    As an entity it is going through the fumbling in the greasy till stage with these proposals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I don't understand people who say they never view or listen to RTE programmes. How do they keep informed about news, current affairs, sports, investigative documentaries or entertainment/culture events, etc., relevant to this island.

RTE may have its faults but unless you want to live on a diet of Hollywood movies, Aussie soaps and Judge Judy, it's the best source. TV3 does provide some Irish content programmes but it's a very limited service.
    RTE are showing both Neighbours and Home and Away (twice!) along with another 8-10 foreign shows tonight alone that they used taxpayer funds to price TV3 and/or TG4 (and/or any other potential upstarts) out of, which otherwise those competitors could have got at a lower price for the most part. RTE should flat out not be doing this, with the rare, rare exception like Father Ted that has a deep seated place in Irish culture (and is probably quite cheap as 20 year old reruns); they also regularly show Hollywood movies. Most sports are available on other networks, and frankly with considerably better coverage. Television being the primary source of so many forms of entertainment and information is fast, fast becoming a thing of the past - for this demographic I would hazard a guess it already is.

Reeling in the Years (admittedly a great show, but by design only a half hour is made per year) aside, RTE's output of documentaries is pretty woeful for the most part - TG4 do much better on a sliver of their budget in this regard.

Most people I know under 40 read their news online (and as best I know, RTE is not a high priority source for many of them to put it mildly) rather than the [X] O'Clock news, so that's not important, likewise for coverage of cultural events. RTE's coverage of 'Irish celebs' entertainment is nothing to brag about, as young filmmakers and those in the arts rarely get a look in, passed over for "a day in the life of..." type crap.

If RTE made the effort to promote and assist young talent that the BBC does, I'd happily pay the TV licence even if I rarely watched it. I wouldn't even mind doing so at a considerably higher rate, so long as my own finances allowed. But RTE don't do that, they instead distort the market horrifically and inflate wages to comical extents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

using the rte player online should require your license number that way their fees are covering their services.
    Silane wrote: »
    They should just make the whole thing subscription based like sky, let the people who want it pay for it and then you can access the online services too.
    You know the answer. Then no one would pay, this isn't about being able to watch RTE, this is simply a tax. Government promise to help get RTE more money, who in RTE is going to even debate this?

I assume you're joking. I haven't watched the news on RTE since I moved out of my parents house 15 years ago. This might be "news" to you, but there's other tv stations, newspapers, magazines, radio stations, podcasts and websites not only provide all what you think are exclusive to RTE, but they're multiple times better and they're either free or optional to pay for. As for Aussie soaps, RTE are showing both Neighbours and Home and Away today.
    Lets just see prime time on RTE1 tonight to see what amazing shows RTE have on.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/listings.html
    7:30: Eastenders
    8:00: Fair City
    8:30: Daniel and Majella's B&B Road Trip
    9:00: News
    9:30

Well, cancel Netflix, that's the nights entertainment sorted :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's been years since I watched RTÉ properly. It's a bit difficult living abroad but I'd no idea they were still filling their channels with foreign muck. Sounds like a subsidy for British and American studios to be honest more than a public service. The BBC is such an amazing service it's unreal. Cutting edge content and a wide array of public service broadcasts. Amazing that RTÉ couldn't have learned a few lessons from them but then that'd probably interfere with the handouts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's been years since I watched RTÉ properly. It's a bit difficult living abroad but I'd no idea they were still filling their channels with foreign muck. Sounds like a subsidy for British and American studios to be honest more than a public service. The BBC is such an amazing service it's unreal. Cutting edge content and a wide array of public service broadcasts. Amazing that RTÉ couldn't have learned a few lessons from them but then that'd probably interfere with the handouts.

Not defending RTE but comparing BBC to RTE is unfair as they receive a licence fee paid by 60 million people so the budgets are huge.

BBC have their fair share of rubbish along side top notch stuff as well though it must be said.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I assume you're joking. I haven't watched the news on RTE since I moved out of my parents house 15 years ago. This might be "news" to you, but there's other tv stations, newspapers, magazines, radio stations, podcasts and websites not only provide all what you think are exclusive to RTE, but they're multiple times better and they're either free or optional to pay for.

After Hours is probably better than RTE news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayson wrote: »
    After Hours is probably better than RTE news.

I still don't believe that so many people don't watch RTE ever.

For Irish news alone it is the best source with actual video reports and interviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not defending RTE but comparing BBC to RTE is unfair as they receive a licence fee paid by 60 million people so the budgets are huge.

BBC have their fair share of rubbish along side top notch stuff as well though it must be said.

Fair enough regarding the source of funding. However, the BBC seem to take their duty a lot more seriously and host a wide range of public service programming. There's no reason why RTÉ can't do the same.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Karsini wrote: »
    I guess this would also include any business with desktop computers but no TV.

And every shop with a touchscreen point of sale till...

And they say you need a tv licence for your caravan if you bring a tv with you on holiday, so will I need a tv licence for my tent if I bring my laptop with me?

True, but isn't it mostly/all muck that they've made themselves? There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion, just look at the film industry - some stuff always seems like a good idea until it's done and dusted, and the problem can often be something that happened during production (bad editing, changes that needed to be made on the fly, etc). I've tried to watch Ros na Run but just for the life of me can't... that said, TG4 made it themselves and it puts money back into the economy while giving plenty of actors, writers, camera ops, hair & makeup artists, set designers, editors etc employment and exposure, so it's very much a good thing.

And then in turn BBC I would assume get money from outsourcing their hits, like Match of the Day, Attenborough's stuff and Top Gear (if I recall the most watched show in the world before "the incident") which helps again. RTE would good as definitely not be able to match that, but even on a smaller scale it could be beneficial. As awful a show as it is, just look at Mrs. Browns Boys in this regard - aired in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and for some reason... Iceland.

*Random trivia: The Lyrics Board was sold to 15 different countries which each had their own version, from many European countries to even Lebanon and Vietnam! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lyrics_Board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

For Irish news alone it is the best source with actual video reports and interviews.

I'd say more and more people prefer to spread their news consumption time across the day on their phone while in college, in the office, or on public transport rather than dedicating a longer timeslot watching them on TV at home in the evening.

Not necessarily that it gives a better viewpoint of current events, but probably because it is more convenient and a good way to kill time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

osarusan wrote: »
    They should deal with this first:

This will just be another charge that people won't pay.

Yes. They need to enforce it properly. If they get close to 100% enforcement, they could even look at reducing the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Personally never understood why RTE are allowed to receive private revenue via advertisements when they also receive funding through the TV tax. The same rule should apply as does the BBC - no commercial adverts. RTE's product is also ****e.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

At least you could argue that Road Trip might help local businesses. I do agree with your point. At the very least, the substandard imports shown during the day should be cut out entirely. I'd rather RTÉ went down during the day to be honest instead of frittering away money like that.

• Advertisement

Personally never understood why RTE are allowed to receive private revenue via advertisement whrn they receive funding through the TV tax. The same rule should apply as does the BBC. RTE's product is also ****e.

The licence fee alone might not be enough for a broadcaster to satisfy a public service remit. Obviously, the lavish handouts aren't helping but even if you could trust RTÉ to be honest, it might not be enough. I think the government should just sell it at this stage. It serves no purpose other than to enrich those on the inside at the taxpayer's expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

why would you even assume that? I get my irish news from the independent website and that's it, dont bother with football or gaa and I have zero interest in irish documentaries.
    And rte produced radio is just rubbish, I only ever add nova fm to the car radio, don't have any others even programmed in.
    And I'm certainly not unusual in this regard.

I could ask you why you don't follow gaming, skateboarding and tech documentaries, but I wouldn't assume you will have the same tastes as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sean Moncrieff said the same thing. He refused to believe when people said they didn't watch the news at 9pm. Just because you do something religiously doesn't mean everyone else does.
    I haven't watched news on TV in years. If I want to check the news it's google news (which in fairness, could be rte) or irishtimes.com. RTE is never my first port of call. If any news site has a video of the news I won't watch, I prefer to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Our house was renovated about 10 years ago, We ripped out the pipe tv cable at that stage as we had no use for it, I haven't even used anything with a tuner since before then anyway. Last time i even saw the late late show was when gay byrne was presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nope, never, and aparrently I'm in the over 40's bracket that makes me a proper adult. There are far more concise, current and user friendly ways to get news now. The age old model of news being at 6pm and 9pm is ancient. I gather news when it suits me to see it and not at some prescribed time.
    If there is some "world news" event on ill tune to Euronews or god forbid Sky News.

Never ever would I think "wow that's happening now I'll stick on an RTE station" they'd be showing Marty Wheelan or Neighbors or some similar drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Just wondering if the following is true. People with a Virgin/Sky subscriptions and get RTE through their subscription package is already paying RTE. This is because Virgin/Sky pay RTE to carry the channels. If you pay your tv license and watches RTE through Virgin/Sky then you are double paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Entertainment events? I can live fine without Lottie Ryan, thanks.

Boards fills me in on all the local news I need. I don't recall ever seeing decent rte documentary
    *Awaits angry posts listing decent documentaries*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Then its a property tax, and would be simpler and more efficient to collect as that.

They did in The Netherlands

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Entertainment events? I can live fine without Lottie Ryan, thanks.

Boards fills me in on all the local news I need. I don't recall ever seeing decent rte documentary
    *Awaits angry posts listing decent documentaries*
    Well Reeling in the Years is top, top class... but that's about it as far as I can recall (and it's one single half hour show a year) so definitely not disagreeing with you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Iceland, Estonia, Lithuania and Finland all have public broadcasters that receive funds from government grants and either don't require a TV licence or have recently abolished the requirement.

Iceland and Finland have implemented taxes to fund their services instead of enforcing a licence, in Finlands case it is based on income.

Portugal implemented a Broadcast Contribution tax that costs €33 a year.

These are all countries with similar populations to Ireland funding their state broadcasting in different ways that maybe the government here should be looking at.

I cant speak of the quality of their broadcasts but I'm begrudgingly paying for a service that I don't use and do not value as a result of court order threats. I wouldn't mind paying if it wasn't an extortionate amount and if the content produced was of high quality.

The fact that about 50% of licence fees collected goes to RTE who also then generate ad revenue yet it spends large sums of money either buying shows from other broadcasters it paying insane salaries to staff.

The licence is antiquated and if you break down the cost of implementation and where the funds go it's highly inefficient;
    - about 50% to RTE
    - TG4 receives support and programming from RTE which RTE then express this as a cost to their licence fee income
    - An Post receive money for the collection of cost
    - 7% goes to the Broadcasting Authority of Irelands sound and vision fund (which actually funds the production of some great material)

So this is a multi faceted problem. RTE providing sub standard services yet collecting the lions share of the licence fee and the way the licence is actually implemented and distributed.

RTE as subscription only is something I would strongly support.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well Reeling in the Years is top, top class... but that's about it as far as I can recall (and it's one single half hour show a year) so definitely not disagreeing with you!!

My family were quite fond of Vets on Call. Not sure if that's still going. They managed to export that as well.

My family were quite fond of Vets on Call. Not sure if that's still going. They managed to export that as well.

Haven;t actually seen that one myself, but then again you could probably count the number of times in a year I stop on RTE while channel surfing with your fingers and toes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Am I right in saying The Zoo and Love Hate would be RTE's two most successful exports to date? (financially that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It will be extremely interesting to see the reaction of people when what is essentially a E160 tariff is placed on their mobile electronics.
    I really don't think RTE knows what they are messing with here.
    I for one cant wait for the sh1t storm they are stumbling into.

• Advertisement

Haven;t actually seen that one myself, but then again you could probably count the number of times in a year I stop on RTE while channel surfing with your fingers and toes!

Seen it a few times. Seemed decent. I've tried watching RTÉ when I go home but the schedule is worse than dire.

Trond wrote: »
    Am I right in saying The Zoo and Love Hate would be RTE's two most successful exports to date? (financially that is)

Pretty sure it's still The Lyrics Board (no, really!) and my guess would be Mrs. Brown's Boys (no... really) after that. Not sure of the specifics of the Love/Hate Netflix deal, though.

I heard, on boards, that love/hate wasn't created or produced by RTE.

Grayson wrote: »
    I heard, on boards, that love/hate wasn't created or produced by RTE.

Octagon is the producer, but RTE is the distributor which is more important on the financial end, as per my understanding. Remember all those Miramax and films that popped up during the 90s? The Weinsteins did so well on that because they tended to get already-produced movies at a really low price, do a little re-editing etc to make it more marketable, and then act as the distribution. New Line were similar (hence the independent boom of the time - movies produced outside of the major studios which were more daring/interesting/adventurous) and distributed in such a way as to still reach global audiences.

And they each made a f*** tonne in doing so!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=newline.htm
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=miramax.htm

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

I can say, hand on heart that I haven't watched it in many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Irish Times, Independent, Examiner for news and entertainment, Sky / Tg4 / TV3 for sports etc

I agree that it wouldn't be easy but it's perfectly possible to be well informed without RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Pretty sure it's still The Lyrics Board (no, really!) and my guess would be Mrs. Brown's Boys (no... really) after that. Not sure of the specifics of the Love/Hate Netflix deal, though.

Mrs Browns boys wasn't created by RTE. Brendan O`Carroll had been toiling away for years releasing them straight to DVD before he convinced the BBC to a take a shot on it.
    RTE might have some sort of credit on it but its entirely produced by the BBC in England and is recorded in Scotland.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

There should be no need to fund radio. The fact that we have private sector radio is ample evidence that it should be capable of standing on its own feet.

Whatever about 2fm, I see no reason for the existence of RTE Junior radio. How many kids listen to the radio?

Whatever about 2fm, I see no reason for the existence of RTE Junior radio. How many kids listen to the radio?

Forget just kids, how many people under a certain age listen to the radio beyond possibly in the background at work? Podcasts all the way.

*I subscribed to one called The Dollop last week, can't recommend enough - one guy tells a well researched story of somethign that happened in history to another, both are extremely quick witted stand ups (but the depth of research, like in their Enron episode, is excellent). The episode 'Tylenol Man' is one of the most hilarious, ridiculous stories I've heard in a long long time - http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-220-dollop/

I do enjoy a bit of reeling in the years when I'm in the in-laws'.

I heard a rumour that rte managed to make a loss on Love Hate. No idea it it's true.

Never heard of the Zoo. What's it about (is it just a visit to Dublin Zoo without Bosco's magic door)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement