Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In keeping with the 50th anniversary of the (alleged:D) moon landing.

All the Apollo astronauts were very proficient gaelic handball players (No, honestly they were!)

It stems form the fact that a lot of Irish immigrants ended up working in the military or emergency services, so it was common practice for military bases, police and fire stations to have handball courts and regular tournaments, kill the boredom and keep fit with the benefit of requiring very little space and practically no equipment.

When the space race began NASA, required all would be astronauts to stay in peak physical fitness, but offered no real guidance on how to do so. When they looked at standardising their fitness programme, they considered various sports regimes and concluded that the perfect all over workout was to be had by playing competitive handball - so much so that they actually made it compulsory in the 1950's

Also picked because it was non contact, yet players are always moving improving reflexes and once built the space is small and needed little to no maintenance. Could also be used very quickly for something else like storage. Handball had no traditional affiliation in the US at the time and was suitable in that way as well.

I knew a former USAF pilot in Germany in the 90s who told me about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Other musicians that died aged 27:
    Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Kurt Cobain ..... But thats a story for another day.
    Amy Winehouse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states
    "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Breaking news, can headlines that end with a question mark be answered with the word no?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Map of all the solid surfaces in our solar system superimposed on a map of the Earth...

solar-system-surface_area.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Map of all the solid surfaces in our solar system superimposed on a map of the Earth...

solar-system-surface_area.png
    Xkcd? (It has the font, and the attention to detail where he excludes dust particles, which is awesome)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The dates 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, and 12/12 all fall on the same day of the week during any one year.

(And I had to check that immediately) ;)

It's called Doomsday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Xkcd? (It has the font, and the attention to detail where he excludes dust particles, which is awesome)
    Yes https://xkcd.com/1389/
    Alt text: This isn't an informational illustration; this is a thing I think we should do. First, we'll need a gigantic spool of thread. Next, we'll need some kind of... hmm, time to head to Seattle.

https://xkcd.com/1389/large/ larger picture

more info
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1389:_Surface_Area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Just watching The Six O Clock Show, and the insect lady (Eanna Ni Lamhna - love to hear her talk) said a difference between a frog and a toad is .... a frog hops and a toad doesn't!!

(had a quick Google.....and its true!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The first world leader to create a YouTube channel was the British Prime Minister, Tony Blair who made his account in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Boris Johnson, the new British Prime Minister, was on Have I Got News For You? twice. Once as a panelist, the second time as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

branie2 wrote: »
    Boris Johnson, the new British Prime Minister was on Have I Got News For You? twice. Once as a panelist, the second time as a presenter.
    It's often credited with making him a household name.

I wonder will he do a Deayton (coke and hoors).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Boris Johnson, the new British Prime Minister, was on Have I Got News For You? twice. Once as a panelist, the second time as a presenter.

Hmmm

"I bet you didn't know..." about the other 3 appearances as host and the other one appearance as guest...
    Series 18 Episode 7 Guest
    Series 22 Episode 3 Guest
    Series 24 Episode 6 Host
    Series 26 Episode 8 Host
    Series 30 Episode 6 Host
    Series 32 Episode 9 Host
    :D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Have_I_Got_News_for_You_episodes#Series_32

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I knew it was more than twice. As Realt Dearg Sec has mentioned, it's pretty much where he gained his notoriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Kim Cattrall, who appears in Sex & and the City, is from Liverpool

Kim Cattrall, who appears in Sex & and the City, is from Liverpool

And she was in Porkys.

And Big trouble in Little China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ipso wrote: »
    I wonder will he do a Deayton (coke and hoors).

Was Deayton a mod here?:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And Big trouble in Little China

And in Mannequin. And in "Who do you think you are?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

New Home wrote: »

Don't forget Police Academy.

mrsoundie wrote: »

Don't forget Police Academy.

I was trying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

And star trek VI - the undiscovered country

The mass popularity of red lipstick dates back to the early days of motion pictures when silent movies shot in grainy black and white film meant that facial features had to be exaggerated to make them more easily discernible in that monochrome landscape. The resulting pale white face with dark eyes and lips floating in the middle was emulated in the movie posters, and a fashion for pale powered skin and red lips followed suit.

da03983814282c585fddf9c52bfb4e9e.jpg

The company that produced film make up, Coty, was founded by a Mr Maksymilian Faktorowicz, a Polish beautician who emigrated to the US and began a career as a make up artist in the movies. He later changed his name to one that rolls off the tongue a little easier, and so Max Factor became the name of his new line after he realized the demand for affordable mass produced makeup that the movies had prompted in the public. Max sold make up inspired by the screen heroines of the time, aided by celebrity endorsement. The two best selling Max Factor make-up products were dark red lipstick and Pan Stik foundation, both used on silent movie sets in the early days of cinema and still sold today.

During WW2 makeup became more creative, but red lipstick had lost none of it's popularity. When supplies of silk for stockings was diverted to the making of parachues, women used gravy browning as a sort of fake tan stocking, and charcoal pencil was drawn in a line up the back of the leg to emulate the seamed stockings sold at the time (before nylon). Likewise flour was used as powder, charcoal for eyeshadow, and for lipstick, cochineal colouring usually used in baking was used to stain the lips and was topped off with wax or petroleum jelly to finish the look. Women were encouraged to look their glamorous best as a morale boosting exercise, and in a world of little soap or shampoo there were at least rations of lipstick - though not enough. It was a hot ticket black market item.

Red lipsticks popularity was further boosted when Elizabeth Arden was asked to design and provide makeup, especially lipstick, to the American Marine Corps Womens Reserve. She came up with three shades of red lipstick to suit the coloring of most women and to highlight the uniform, and the posters did nothing to hurt sales to the civilian market.

up13.jpg?w=497

The betwitching properties of lipstick are such that studies show that men will estimate a woman as being more attractive with it on than without. Waitresses are tipped more, and an Italian study shows that women students who wear makeup have higher self esteem and gain higher grades, (though rather than makeup having magical cognitive enhancement abilities, it's probably innate self esteem that makes them invest the time in themselves to begin with*).

It's been well demonstrated that women are seen as most attractive (to both men and to other women) during the fertile period of the menstrual cycle, and it's around ovulation that the shift in the balance of hormones increases vascular flow, making skin more sensitive and the genitals more responsive to arousal. It also has the effect of making you look more robustly healthy, making your skin pinker and your lips redder - a signal to potential mates that other areas of the body are feeling a little flushed and sensitive to the touch, too. Lipstick either invents or enhances this same signal, the secret to it's success.

*Because they're worth it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And his brother was a Prohibition era gangster with strong connections with the Mafia.

And his brother was a Prohibition era gangster with strong connections with the Mafia.

Oh, didn't know that. As if his life wasn't interesting enough!

I remember reading that when the Allies liberated Auschwitz, the first thing that those poor ragged and starving women prisoners asked for - was not food or clothing, but lipstick. It's interesting to consider if there was perhaps some basic compulsion to reclaim their femininity, having been robbed of their identity.

IIRC, Max used his brother's "business partners" to win lucrative contracts with various Hollywood film studios.

IIRC, Max used his brother's "business partners" to win lucrative contracts with various Hollywood film studios.

Gosh, it's less and less an admirable rags to riches story of a poor immigrant who became a household name, and more of an intimidation and strong arm situation.

How very disappointing. :(

Candie wrote: »
    The betwitching properties of lipstick are such that studies show that men will estimate a woman as being more attractive with it on than without. Waitresses are tipped more, and an Italian study shows that women students who wear makeup have higher self esteem and gain higher grades, (though rather than makeup having magical cognitive enhancement abilities, it's probably innate self esteem that makes them invest the time in themselves to begin with*).

And just to be a total cynic, I'd say it was also down to the fact that male Italian teachers may have felt compelled to give prettier girls higher marks. :/

• Advertisement

And just to be a total cynic, I'd say it was also down to the fact that male Italian teachers may have felt compelled to give prettier girls higher marks. :/

I think it was a Harvard study that came to similar conclusions, not that they'd be any more immune to pretty girls. Good looking people are always given more credit than the plain.

Advertisement