Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Bobby Ryan's son and daughter to sue Patrick Quirke;
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They'll win that case as a slam dunk because the State has already proven that he murdered him. Quirke will likely have to sell his farm to pay them the award. Its not often you see murderers taking a financial hit as most of them dont have assets but Quirke has the farm sitting there to be sued against. Hopefully they take him to the cleaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Did he not move the farm out of his ownership to get free legal aid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Did he not move the farm out of his ownership to get free legal aid ?

I think he turned it into a company or something but according to another poster it was popular at the time.

I think he turned it into a company or something but according to another poster it was popular at the time.

Could he still be made to sell it to pay compensation ?

• Advertisement

Could he still be made to sell it to pay compensation ?

I was under the impression at the time no but I'm not sure.

I was under the impression at the time no but I'm not sure.

That's what I thought too but I'm not sure either. Maybe someone that can enlighten us will happen along soon.

I didnt know a finance company have a hold on the farm. Is that in the public domain ?

I didnt know a finance company have a hold on the farm. Is that in the public domain ?

I think if you read back over this thread it's in there somewhere about farmers doing a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

I can't be sure, but I have a feeling he signed over ownership of his farm to someone else, prior to the start of the court case, possibly to his wife, Imelda, in order to avoid an outcome such as this. Also, during the course of this thread it seemed to emerge that he was fairly strapped for cash due to his misadventures re various investments which failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

quote;
    Quirke and his wife ran their farm as a limited company called Breansha Farms Ltd.
    Its most recent accounts, for 2017, showed it had more than €150,000 cash in hand or in the bank.

I believe he can still be a director of the company while in prison.
    I stand to be corrected on this though.

Edit;

Quote;
    Pat Quirke Born: Nov 1968 (50 years ago)
    Company Secretary ,Retired
    Dates: 14 Mar 2014 ‐ 23 May 2019

Unquote.
    source; DueDil.com

It was also in the news that the family were in talks with Jim Sheridan about making a movie!

It was also in the news that the family were in talks with Jim Sheridan about making a movie!

If Jim Sheridan makes a movie of this, it will be brilliant. Just watched "The Field" over the weekend and it is genius - even though it depicts a time in Ireland that is no longer with us. It starred Richard Harris, John Hurt, Sean Bean, Brenda Fricker and Tom Berenger, all of whom put in brilliant performances. Sadly some to them such as Richard Harris and John Hurt are passed away since then.

If Jim Sheridan makes a movie of this, it will be brilliant. Just watched "The Field" over the weekend and it is genius - even though it depicts a time in Ireland that is no longer with us. It starred Richard Harris, John Hurt, Sean Bean, Brenda Fricker and Tom Berenger, all of whom put in brilliant performances. Sadly some to them such as Richard Harris and John Hurt are passed away since then.

I was thinking it may be good but I think it may nearly turn into a murder documentary type thing!

I was thinking it may be good but I think it may nearly turn into a murder documentary type thing!

I don't know if a "murder documentary type thing" would be Jim Sheridan's style. Even though "The Field " is a play by John B. Keane, Sheridan himself wrote the screen play for the film version. The characterization was brilliant.

I don't know if a "murder documentary type thing" would be Jim Sheridan's style. Even though "The Field " is a play by John B. Keane, Sheridan himself wrote the screen play for the film version. The characterization was brilliant.

Yes, I understand where you coming from I just think if families got to involved in it it may lack something but I doubt he'd produce something he wasn't happy with.

You never know. Maybe he could build a fictional story, based around the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's important to bear in mind while talking about how this would make a great film etc that this is a very real family's very real grief at the loss of a much loved dad. May he rest in peace.

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I think it's important to bear in mind while talking about how this would make a great film etc that this is a very real family's very real grief at the loss of a much loved dad. May he rest in peace.

Point taken, SirChenjin. Of course we must respect the great grief that so many people are going through as a result of this woeful happening. Maybe it is early days to talk about a film, but there is no denying this case will go down in history. Apparently Jim Sheridan has attended some of the court hearings with a view to taking in some of the atmosphere, possibly with a film in mind. If he does go ahead with filming, IMO, he has the talent to make a good job of it. Based on the way he did "The Field" I think a fictionalized version based around the facts would be the way to go. In that way, naming of names in a very sensitive situation could be avoided. Just my opinion!

Far as I can remember there was a famous plane crash which was handled in this way - moving ithe story into a different genre i.e a fictionalized version rather than a documentary. I can remember seeing the film, but can't remember the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think if you're the family of Bobby Ryan theres no way you want some sort of fictionalised film being made based on his death. Maybe a documentary that shows their side of the story but not some dramatised version of his murder and the aftermath, that would be hard to take for a family who have suffered the loss that they have.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think if you're the family of Bobby Ryan theres no way you want some sort of fictionalised film being made based on his death. Maybe a documentary that shows their side of the story but not some dramatised version of his murder and the aftermath, that would be hard to take for a family who have suffered the loss that they have.

That's why the guy is consulting the family about making the film.
    I can't see it being a big drama type thing at all.

I saw this heading in the Irish Daily Mail today and couldn't help picking up a copy of the paper.
    KILLER PATRICK QUIRKE MOVED TO MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON AS HIS FINANCES UNDER SCRUTINY OVER LAWSUIT

Ignoring the sensational headline, some interesting info as to why Quirke has requested a move to either PortLaoise or Midland Prison in order to be nearer to his family. Also some interesting info re his financial situation and dealings in the past.

https://extra.ie/2019/07/22/news/irish-news/patrick-quirke-maximum-security-prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Muahahaha wrote: »

I completely agree.

May he rest in peace.

It's a futile wish to think that this case will not go down in history and be played over and over in the future. Of course sympathy to the grieving families, I say "families", in the plural, because there's more than one family grieving. Sadly the facts remain for future reference and will be replayed again and again. The details of this case will not go away just by wishing them away.

In 1993 there was an outcry about the filming of the details of a Uruguayan plane crash because, faced with starvation, the survivors had had to resort to cannibalism. A fictionalized version in the form of a film, named "Alive", was made in order to avoid naming names of those who were involved in this awful experience. At the time there was a huge outcry against it but later the value of making a proper film with well-known actors and sensitive direction, was appreciated. The fact that the film has lived on in my memory after all of these years, speaks for itself.

I'm not pushing the idea of such a film being made in this case. All I'm saying is if it is to be made, Jim Sheridan has the talent to do it in the best possible way. The fact he is consulting with the families is promising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_(1993_film)

[Alive (1993 film)]

Probably just rubbish but this is the cover of The Irish Daoly Mail Today!
    Page-1-IMOS-27.10.19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

jeeees, I can smell it from here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

She has a fair oul schlong hanging there!?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Jonybgud wrote: »
    jeeees, I can smell it from here...

The bull*hit from the article, nothing to do with the lady, in case anyone thought different. Who takes a picture from 7 years ago and tries to build a sex war based on it. Absolute scum journalism. But then what do we expect from the Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Jonybgud wrote: »
    The bull*hit from the article, nothing to do with the lady, in case anyone thought different. Who takes a picture from 7 years ago and tries to build a sex war based on it. Absolute scum journalism. But then what do we expect from the Fail.

No, it's fair. The article is about the new book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

How about a picture of the journalist, Catherine Fegan, for comparison like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement