Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he?

Might as well when you've got life, you've nothing to lose.

iirc the appeal will mainly be on the grounds that the judge allowed certain evidence into hearing that the defence will claim shouldnt have been. Given the things we now know about what wasn't allowed to be heard by the jury such as his burglary at the Lowry house and stealing knickers off her clothes line it is hard to see them getting much joy in the appeal. Time will tell.

Graham Dwyers appeal has still yet to come before the appeal court so Quirke will be also waiting for quite a while. iirc there is a serious backlog in the Court of Appeals at the moment and they need to recruit more judges which has been slow to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

finjoe wrote: »
    It was either Mary Lowry or Mrs Quirke, don't mind the Gardaí not saying who it was, the missing persons lady, having rang Mary Lowry to see if she had gone to the Gardaí herself to disclose her suspicions (and indeed her affair) with Patrick Quirke, remember Mary Lowry sought to meet this woman and met her at the filling station, and in great distress, Mary Lowry was advised to tell Gardaí what she knew and suspected this missing persons lady when Mary Lowry said she hadn't gone to the Gardaí (the missing persons woman rang her on the following Monday night to see if she had gone to the Gardaí) and when she hadnt, this woman said she telephoned the Gardaí herself, so you can bet your bottom dollar it was Mary Lowry who was arrested. They (Gardaí)probably didn't want people to think "oh maybe she is involved" (in the actual murder) Remember, this was the information that turned the "missing persons" case of Bobby Ryan into a murder trial, without this information the Gardaí had nothing to go on at all, I have followed this case since he went missing and I remember the woman being arrested and soon afterwards "a man" was arrested....they wouldn't arrest the "missing persons" woman as I am sure she verified whom she was etc. making the call and could be checked out easily...I doubt if Pat Quirkes wife would be arrested, why would she be arrested? She wasn't ever directly associated with any of the carry on...
    That missing persons woman didn't come across well to me.
    She has turned up on every programme going and seemed to be a bit of a gossip who was enjoying the limelight imo.

Not sure if these people should be so free and easy with the media given the high profile cases they are involved in unless they are making appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

tipptom wrote: »
    That missing persons woman didn't come across well to me.
    She has turned up on every programme going and seemed to be a bit of a gossip who was enjoying the limelight imo.

Not sure if these people should be so free and easy with the media given the high profile cases they are involved in unless they are making appeals.

Attention seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Who is the 'missing persons' woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

john9876 wrote: »

I think it was Catherine Costello!

• Advertisement

john9876 wrote: »

They are a search and rescue group that I think is based in Co Clare and she was part of the search party for BR.

There was another man interviewed on the programme who seemed very cock sure that if they had of been asked to do a search on the farm that they would have discovered the third tank that BR was "discovered" in even if PQ would have told them that he only knew about two tanks like he told the Gardaí.

May be wrong but I think "missing persons woman"(I know it sound like a character from Twin Peaks) said on one of the programmes that she had a chat with friends and family about what ML had revealed to her about her affair with PQ.

The whole saga is like something out of Twin Peaks actually and would make a better plot than what David Lynch dreamed up second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

They are a search and rescue group that I think is based in Co Clare and she was part of the search party for BR.

On the programme and in the newspapers the group was called 'Searching for the Missing' - however, there's no web presence or anything under that name. The actual group name of the people involved in the voluntary search was the Abbeyfeale District Search and Rescue group from County Limerick.

There's more info if you google them.

Am I right to say that missing person lady is also an ex-Garda? Thought I read that somewhere. Definitely an element of Jessica Fletcher about her. And in fairness she got to the bottom of it, Mary Lowry wasnt going to the Gardai with that information until she more or less had her hand forced to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Am I right to say that missing person lady is also an ex-Garda? Thought I read that somewhere. Definitely an element of Jessica Fletcher about her. And in fairness she got to the bottom of it, Mary Lowry wasnt going to the Gardai with that information until she more or less had her hand forced to do so.
    That's her all right,Mary Lowry asked to meet her and told her about affair with Quirke,but Lowry didn't go to the Gardai with it.
    Instead Costello told the Gardai. The Gardai arrested a lady for withholding information.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mary-was-hysterical-searcher-tells-loverival-murder-trial-37791531.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

mikeymouse wrote:
    The Gardai arrested a lady for withholding information.

Who wasn't Mary Lowry going by the report I read.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    iirc the appeal will mainly be on the grounds that the judge allowed certain evidence into hearing that the defence will claim shouldnt have been.

I wonder if there's grounds based on "circumstantial evidence" - certainly Judges direction to jury can feature in such appeals - considering the weighting on "circumstantial evidence" over "smoking gun" evidence at this trial, it will be an interesting and tense day for all as the appeal judges give their answer.

And as I read also.

Originally Posted by mikeymouse
    The Gardai arrested a lady for withholding information.
    Yes, I think you're right;
    the lady arrested in June 2014 was reported as being 45 years old,
    Mary Lowry would have been 48 at that time.

I wonder if there's grounds based on "circumstantial evidence" - certainly Judges direction to jury can feature in such appeals - considering the weighting on "circumstantial evidence" over "smoking gun" evidence at this trial, it will be an interesting and tense day for all as the appeal judges give their answer.

And as I read also.

Can the prosecution look to have evidence that was ruled out by the original judge to be included in the appeal?

Can the prosecution look to have evidence that was ruled out by the original judge to be included in the appeal?

not 100% but I would doubt it. They could call a mistrial and then the judge on the second trial allows certain evidence that the first didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Was talking to a fella who works in Limerick prison and apparently the inmates blasted out 'dancing in the moonlight' when Patrick arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

One wonders if Patrick Quirke had the legal mind of Ian Bailey would he be in prison today..........doubt it very much..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    One wonders if Patrick Quirke had the legal mind of Ian Bailey would he be in prison today..........doubt it very much..

How has Ian bailey's legal mind kept him out of jaik?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

BENDYBINN wrote:

I don't know but if the trial was in France twod be a lot shorter :-)

No. They won't be hearing the case again or pursuing any counterfactual possibilities. They'll only concern themselves with whether the evidence as was heard in correct was fairly submitted.

Would be great if some legally qualified person could confirm this, but I don't think they can legally even come to "No fair jury would convict" conclusion.

Then again, they are the Supreme Court and nobody's going to tell them they can't do something, but they are bound by their own rules.

No. They won't be hearing the case again or pursuing any counterfactual possibilities. They'll only concern themselves with whether the evidence as was heard in correct was fairly submitted.

Would be great if some legally qualified person could confirm this, but I don't think they can legally even come to "No fair jury would convict" conclusion.

Then again, they are the Supreme Court and nobody's going to tell them they can't do something, but they are bound by their own rules.

The appeal won't be heard by the Supreme Court.

• Advertisement

Brain fart there. Of course, the Court of Criminal Appeal.

It won't be heard by the Court of Criminal Appeal either. Try again!

It won't be heard by the Court of Criminal Appeal either. Try again!
    oh for Jaysis sake. You're really doing this?

Right, it's now just called the Court of Appeal. Apologies to everyone I misled

oh for Jaysis sake. You're really doing this?

Right, it's now just called the Court of Appeal. Apologies to everyone I misled

The Court of Appeal is not a re-named Court of Criminal Appeal. It is differently constituted.

The Court of Appeal is not a re-named Court of Criminal Appeal. It is differently constituted.

*turns to thread*

Sorry about this.

*turns to thread*

Sorry about this.

You have a lot to be sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There's a guy in one of the horse racing forums who claims to hear fart noises in his head, ye're not related by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

You have a lot to be sorry for.

The old saying.. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing applies to certain posters

*turns to thread*

Sorry about this.

Had a follow-through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Was talking to a fella who works in Limerick prison and apparently the inmates blasted out 'dancing in the moonlight' when Patrick arrived!
    The inmates are in charge of a PA system in the prison? How unusual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement