Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday 23rd: Potential Storm Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Joanna on the 6.1 news. Asked about the potential for the weekend. Said technically it's a larger depression, doesn't mean it's going to be worse. Monitoring over next 24-36 hours before any warnings issued or even named.
    She seemed reluctant to give much away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

The 12z ECMWF rolling out now and UKMO models show a very flabby looking low passing to the south of Ireland for Sunday, a complete non event in terms of wind. GFS showing a less severe event (for Ireland) than yesterdays charts. Still time for plenty of change between now and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Darwin wrote: »
    The 12z ECMWF rolling out now and UKMO models show a very flabby looking low passing to the south of Ireland for Sunday, a complete non event in terms of wind. GFS showing a less severe event (for Ireland) than yesterdays charts. Still time for plenty of change between now and Sunday.

Unless we see the usual trend northwards of the depression I think Ireland will dodge this potential bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ECM1-96_gwq5.GIF

Pretty much gone from the ECMWF

EG: Yesterdays 12z ECM:
    94sGLqt.png

vs Todays:
    Bk2r4w4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ECM1-96_gwq5.GIF

Pretty much gone from the ECMWF

That's 500hPa pressure, not MSLP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

MJohnston wrote: »

thanks for that! still learning :)

MSLP here

8IpBvaW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »

MSLP is on that chart, in white, with 500 hPa heights, not pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This could yet deepen quite quickly so I wouldn't put too much store in the models just yet.

fax72s.gif?1

Give it until tomorrow evening or even Friday to see if this is on or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So this is looking more like a rain event rather then a storm event in Ireland (opposed to UK) by current predictions?

ukgust.png

ukprec.png

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Sorry to be annoying with the “my aunty Flo is wearing a hat tomorrow, will it blow away” nonsense BUT we’re flying Belfast to Bristol with our 2 first time flyers 2 and 4 yr olds and it’s looking like a storm on the way there AND on the way back?? Aahh 😱😱

Flying Thur Bel to Bri 9:30pm
    Return Sun Bri to Bel 4:30pm

Any fairly clear info at the min for me? Thanks guys ;)

• Advertisement

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Sorry to be annoying with the “my aunty Flo is wearing a hat tomorrow, will it blow away” nonsense BUT we’re flying Belfast to Bristol with our 2 first time flyers 2 and 4 yr olds and it’s looking like a storm on the way there AND on the way back?? Aahh ����

I reckon you're going to encounter some problems on the Bristol side of both those dates, it's hard to say for Sunday, but tomorrow evening at the time you're supposed to arrive looks very windy in Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Sorry to be annoying with the “my aunty Flo is wearing a hat tomorrow, will it blow away” nonsense BUT we’re flying Belfast to Bristol with our 2 first time flyers 2 and 4 yr olds and it’s looking like a storm on the way there AND on the way back?? Aahh 😱😱

Any user who says they think this or that is simply working off of guess work. It's way too uncertain, simply we cannot say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Massive downgrade on 18Z GFS. Barely worth a mention, even for the UK, except maybe Cornwall with mean wind 60-70km/h.
    The 65kt mean wind around the Belgian coast from the 12Z is now barely 45kt.

90-602UK.GIF?20-18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup its gone

In the past few days it looked like a 160kph event was possible now maybe 80kph

Computers really feck up the forecast at times

Maybe its time to just admit it and say we dont have a clue...computers or no.

Kermit has flipped his luck this season after nailing all the snow threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To be fair to the models, we've just had a fairly severe storm which creates havoc in forecasting future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The position of the jet will also have a big influence on the charts .

Models can tend to do a windscreen-wiper pattern from run to run, so I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out (especially as you're quoting the God-Forsaken Shíte). With such a strong Jetstream set to continue for the next few days it's just a matter of where exactly more storms will form, not if. Focusing on details at this stage is pointless.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

We must pour 100 meters of concrete, Kermit can you confirm storm or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Models can tend to do a windscreen-wiper pattern from run to run, so I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out (especially as you're quoting the God-Forsaken Shíte). With such a strong Jetstream set to continue for the next few days it's just a matter of where exactly more storms will form, not if. Focusing on details at this stage is pointless.

Is the GFS useful for trends only for these islands or anything at all?

• Advertisement

What's the (God. Forsaken.Shìte) ???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking more unlikely now. We have a conducive jet stream which only has to be tapped on it's northern side to see a really rapid deepening of a system like this so it's not actually all that far from that at the moment.

You'd want to give it another 24 hours in my opinion. This sort of cyclogenesis can be volatile on the models in terms of track and intensity on a run to run basis. We are still four days out here as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Looking more unlikely now. We have a conducive jet stream which only has to be tapped on it's northern side to see a really rapid deepening of a system like this so it's not actually all that far from that at the moment.

You'd want to give it another 24 hours in my opinion. This sort of cyclogenesis can be volatile on the models in terms of track and intensity on a run to run basis. We are still four days out here as others have said.

Noob here caveat.

Watching the Ex Florence remnants on GFS for the last two weeks, first it was forecast hit us then went to Greenland then hit us again then Iceland then disappeared, then exploded in the mid Atlantic in the past few days, and now dissipated again, i say wait.

ZX7R wrote: »
    What's the (God. Forsaken.Shìte) ???

GFS. Good For Scratching (your arse with).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Accu weather have this on Florence

https://m.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yellow warning now for rainfall for south eastern counties along with Tipperary, Wicklow and cork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

GFS (gale force shockers) gets into streaks where it does really well and then other streaks where it struggles and keeps making significant track changes even within 72h. However, on a statistical basis, it is only marginally less accurate than the European model. For about ten years now, the GFS seems to make a habit of over-deepening lows at 5-6 days. The earlier looks we got for this event may be one of those cases, but the seas remain warmer than average so I am not totally buying into depressed jet scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never mind GFS... WAS time.... Good old "wait and see". Not planning out until Monday here. Mind you, it was only a few days ago that our ferryman assured me that the rest of September and all October was going to be a glorious Indian summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never mind GFS... WAS time.... Good old "wait and see". Not planning out until Monday here. Mind you, it was only a few days ago that our ferryman assured me that the rest of September and all October was going to be a glorious Indian summer....the "worst scenario" here is getting stranded on the dreaded mainland.. once was enough.

• Advertisement

GFS. Good For Scratching (your arse with).

Brilliant, I'll never look at the GFS charts without a little giggle now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement