Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday 23rd: Potential Storm Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well on the strength of all info, going over today briefly... enough time to get to town, blitz a shop or 3 and back before rain starts.. relying on accuracy here! Lovely quiet day but cool..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Won't be called Bronagh anyway. Name has been handed out for the system passing now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dsmythy wrote: »
    Won't be called Bronagh anyway. Name has been handed out for the system passing now.

Yip....UKMO have called today's system (Bronagh).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

why is today named? sure its only a bit of rain?

EDIT: Sorry, just see it was named by Met UK as its expected to intensify over wales etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

stooge wrote: »
    why is today named? sure its only a bit of rain?

Potential for storm for southern England.

Other than rain, no real affect here, although could get windy on east coast later (but nothing like yesterday).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip....UKMO have called today's system (Bronagh).

No wind with Bronagh here in Wexford but heavy rain for the last hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Whoever gave the weather at 12.50 on radio 1 said to keep an eye on the forecast because there could be very stormy weather over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Screenshot201809201428241537450944.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Screenshot201809201428241537450944.jpg

Just saw that too squrecircles, couldent believe it, other models not showing anything . An Outlier or on to something big. That as it looks atm would be worse than Ali for the Southern half of the country. Obviously evolving so may change track and strength( up or down ) but certainly needing monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Just saw that too squrecircles

Did I miss something or link restricted? I see nothing in the post?

• Advertisement

Screenshot201809201453171537451760.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Quite remarkable, nothing in the post, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

This weekend is clouded in mystery.

Its like the weather is now classified information that the public arent allowed know in case they complain it should be RED.

As MT referred to earlier though in all seriousness the sea is warmer than normal so anything can happen still.

joan Blackburns opinion from Met eireann.

However Met Éireann is monitoring a weather system that may develop into a third storm, Storm Callum,
    late on Saturday evening. The system has the potential to develop into something “nasty,” which would hit
    Ireland late on Saturday into Sunday morning
    , Ms Blackburn said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Hmmmm, very interesting that MÉ are holding onto this as a possibility in spite of the models over the last 18 hours or so. I guess that there is a material chance that this storm will reappear on some models once the 12z suite starts to roll out.

Met Eireann outlook for coming weekend.

This weekend's weather is looking disturbed with the jet stream lying over
    Ireland, and details are uncertain at this stage. But there is the potential for storm
    development close to and over Ireland.

On Saturday night and early Sunday there is the likelihood of more widespread heavy
    and possibly thundery rain, with some strong or possibly stormy winds possible, as a low tracks
    close to or over Ireland.
    Further updates will issue on this closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

D9Male wrote: »
    Hmmmm, very interesting that MÉ are holding onto this as a possibility in spite of the models over the last 18 hours or so. I guess that there is a material chance that this storm will reappear on some models once the 12z suite starts to roll out.

What time is that out at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

We should have the relevant information for GFS and UKMO models at around 5pm, and the ECM model just after 7pm. There are other models between 5 and 6pm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

D9Male wrote: »

Do they early access to the models?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Do they early access to the models?

No, they get the main model runs at the same time we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nothing much on GFS initial

UKMO a bit deeper though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I made this back last year, but I see some questions about model run timings, so it might be useful again:

N8mJiZz.png

Note that times are in UTC, which is currently one hour behind Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

How are the models so different to what met Éireann are thinking? It’s very strange.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seriously good infographic MJ

Desktop worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

How are the models so different to what met Éireann are thinking? It’s very strange.

Don't they have there own model based on the Harlem model,
    Maybe this????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ZX7R wrote: »
    Maybe this????

Perhaps. What model was that chart from squarecircles earlier from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

ZX7R wrote: »
    Maybe this????

Yes the Harmonie model, but it's a short range model (48 hours afaik) and Sunday wouldn't be in range yet.

Perhaps. What model was that chart from squarecircles earlier from?

I don't know sorry..

As far as I know met definitely use there own model for predicting rain fall

Rougies wrote: »
    Yes the Harmonie model, but it's a short range model (48 hours afaik) and Sunday wouldn't be in range yet.

Thank you for the info rougies
    Good to know it's a short range model , always learning new things in the weather forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All I'm learning is that at the rate they're naming storms we'll be back round to A monikers pretty quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement