Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 11: "Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz" Thread *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Prob should have gone to a 3rd round but fight was just meh anyway. Thought Lidell was gonna destroy the cardboard door! I only saw episode 1 & 6. Can ye recommend any other episode with a good fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

I'd like to see a replay of the "lots of head kicks" he landed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Prob should have gone to a 3rd round but fight was just meh anyway. Thought Lidell was gonna destroy the cardboard door! I only saw episode 1 & 6. Can ye recommend any other episode with a good fight?

You should watch them all mate, there was a few bad fights but nothing as bad as the TUF 10 fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Bad decision there by the judges. For me it was one round each. Should have gone to sudden victory.

Chuck at the end at Dana was very funny. Chuck giving him the evil eye.

Edit: Id also recommend watching them all. As good a series as i can remember.

I thought it would have gone to a third round. Can someone explain how the wild card system works? Is it one pick per coach or do they fight for it? I think Court McGee can take Rich Attonito's place anyway so maybe he'l get revenge later on in the show. I scored it 20-19 for Ring. 10-9,10-10 none of his head kicks landed but he was dictating the pace. Chuck overeacted imo as most of the decisions have gone his way since the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

For the wildcard I think they both select a fighter from their camp who lost and they fight each other for the last quarter final place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I was up for that court mc gee guy. I thought it should of been a third round. Chuck was going mad at that decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Bad bad judging on the Nick Ring fight. Since when does leg kicks win you a fight? :rolleyes: Should have gone to a 3rd at least. I was screaming at my TV for Court McGee to open up with punches on him, as was Chuck :D You could see Ring was being phased by the combinations as he was always looking for the clinch.

First season I watched and im impressed. I thought TUF was just another reality show...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Court should have let them fly at the end. A few times in the second round he caught Ring full on and seemed to stun him or confuse him and he huddled up. Thats when Court should have pressed. I thought they both defended well on the ground and it should have gone to a third round.

Loved Chuck mashing Tito at dodgeball.... especially the little run around celebration with a "remember that!" thrown in...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Does anyone else think Tito is coming across a little bit like the evil trainer in the Karate Kid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Tito is coming across a little bit like the evil trainer in the Karate Kid?

"Sweep the leg!"

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That guy HammorTree had a good point, the 48 hours before the fight should be a rest and recovery time for the fighter. No point in trying to build mucle and cardio at that point imho, the time would be better spent preparing mentally, sharpening skills and chilling to be in top shape for the fight. Just my 2c...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    That guy HammorTree had a good point, the 48 hours before the fight should be a rest and recovery time for the fighter. No point in trying to build mucle and cardio at that point imho, the time would be better spent preparing mentally, sharpening skills and chilling to be in top shape for the fight. Just my 2c...

DeV.

That was Uscola. I think Tito was immature calling him out in front of the whole team. He basically isolated Uscola and made an environment where he couldn't challenge Tito's opinion. I totally agree with Uscola though. Doing Plyometrics 48 hours before a fight is a complete waste of energy, no muscle is going to be 100% recovered in that time. Tito got caught up being a good trainer but overlooked the toll it took on McGray.

It was *awful* people-management skills from Tito and what was worse is that he mistook shutting them up for "team cohesion". He never allowed the guy to have his say and he completely missed the point in the first place. It was cringeworthy stuff.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It was *awful* people-management skills from Tito and what was worse is that he mistook shutting them up for "team cohesion". He never allowed the guy to have his say and he completely missed the point in the first place. It was cringeworthy stuff.

DeV.

At the moment i'm putting Tito on a par with Matt Hughes and Dampage as terrible coaches.

I'm not even going to watch the next season as i think both GSP and The Fraggle are fcukin idiots

It appears the star coachs do little of the actual work and its their assistants who are there all the time working with the fighters.

Tito loves himself too much to think of anyone else.... :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ahe316

Wild card - uscola deserves it. Mccray 'no gas' I'm not so sure about.
    So Court goes straight into the qf's - I suppose with 2 of tito's team battling the wildcard it was fair enough that Court went straight through given it would have been Rich (team Liddel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Yeah i think hamortree deserved the shot much more than mcgray.

This weeks fight (IMO) was the best so far, loved it.

• Advertisement

I was impressed with the fight this week. Henle impressed me and I gained awesome respect for him. He's only gone pro 6 months, wonderful achievement and I think he'l make it in the sport in the long term. As for Baczinski I think he's impressive but can he beat any of the other Q Finalists? Nick's leg looks bad so it will be interesting to see if he can fight. My money for the wildcard is Uscola. He has more power than McGray and looks sharper at the moment. My money for the competition is Yager for some odd reason. Between him and Noke at the moment.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Was a decent enough fight, Seth definitely deserved to win. I didn't think Henle had any chance in the wildcard selection. I was very impressed with his progress in only 6 months, but I think he was way out of the running for the wildcard. Hammortree in my opinion should have been in the wildcard ahead of McGray.

I reckon Nick Ring is out of it. The preview at the end of the episode seemed to indicate someone was down again with an injury and based on Ring's complaints etc, it looks like he might be out, and if he is, I wonder if they'll give someone a bye or push someone else up? (Hammortree?)

Just finished watching the latest. Nick made the smart decision to pull out. Dana looked pissed though, Match-ups are a nicely balanced. Noke V McGray should be good.
    The fights on that one were a bit of a let down though. It was a solid episode of fighting though with no drama apart from the injuries so I enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Surprised McCray is still walking after those kicks from casey in the 1st round, don't see those used in MMA much.

Edit : How shameless were they in promoting the 2010 game this week lmao :D

Just finished watching the latest. Nick made the smart decision to pull out. Dana looked pissed though, Match-ups are a nicely balanced. Noke V McGray should be good.
    The fights on that one were a bit of a let down though. It was a solid episode of fighting though with no drama apart from the injuries so I enjoyed it.

You're right there. Dana looked mega-pissed and really surprised. But I mean it's no use to Nick to win the Ultimate Fighter and have to retire, yeah it shows guts but it would also show sheer stupidity. I'd like to think Ring will get another shot down the line because I realy had him pegged as a serious contender, and a Noke v Ring final would have been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

calex71 wrote: »
    Surprised McCray is still walking after those kicks from casey in the 1st round, don't see those used in MMA much.

yeah id also like to know why more people dont do those kick, looks likely alot of injuries could be caused from them (or more importantly wins!)

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »

Yeah the game promotion was incredibly cringe-inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

adamski8 wrote: »
    yeah id also like to know why more people dont do those kick, looks likely alot of injuries could be caused from them (or more importantly wins!)

Took me back to my Karate day's they did and practicing them during kata's and techniques, Anderson Silva used them but with the ball of his foot not the sole. This was a perfect advert for why you need to check kicks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I imagine Forrest griffin was over the moon to get the gig of promoting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I imagine Forrest griffin was over the moon to get the gig of promoting it.
    He does seem to love his cringyness.
    And WTF was with the hobo look and the floor length coat...in Vegas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Dana looked mega-pissed and really surprised.

Which slightly contradicts his constant messaging that he really cares about fighters and only wants what's best for them.

• Advertisement

just got a chance to watch the first quarter-final tonight (yeah, its been a busy week), and I figured out why I dont like Tito finally.

When told of Ring's knee his immediate first reaction was "ffs, why me, everything is against me!". There wasnt a bit of concern for his fighter who was making a hard choice and had a busted knee that needed surgery.

Giving it to Hammortree there and then was a touch hasty but I knew after last season that that would weigh heavy with Dana. He said as much.
    I dont know what to think about that really, you cant fault Hammortree for going after him and I can understand Dana going "you know what, only one of them wanted it enough to take that step" but I did feel sorry for the other bloke (beardy guy, name escapes me), who was being polite not to chase after Dana like a puppy dog.

In the end, Hammortree disappointed me but he could be a good fighter I think.

Court looked better and better, Uscola will get exposed I think (not sure why I think that, its a hunch) and I cant wait to see Yager in action again, I think thats going to be a great fight. Either Yager will totally destroy his opponent or it will turn into a war that will test his heart. I find it hard to see Yager losing it.

</2c>

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Giving it to Hammortree there and then was a touch hasty

Agree.

I would have liked the 2 lads to fight for the spot.

Beardo looked pretty good for a guy who's new to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

haha.

Just watched TUF 11x09 Civilized Sport.

Don't want to say to much, But Liddell is going ape ****!.
    Ortiz Pulled out of the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

sure that's old news. the reason for it was unknown now we know why. the tavares fight was turning out to be a good one too. you'd think with **** like that having already happened they'd be more careful. can't wait for jagers fight next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Kick on the chest? LOL. I bet Tito and co felt stupid when they saw the video.
    Dana White wrote:
    Civilised sport

Heh.

Thought he was playing it up to get the DQ at first but the replay showed otherwise.

It was a cool KO, shame it was not pride rules. It's a shame it had to end like that as it was a good fight, cant wait for next week, Chuck looks so pissed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

yeah big time, they were like kids on the late late toy show. "im going to buy it when I get home and play it over and over" eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

just got a chance to watch the first quarter-final tonight (yeah, its been a busy week), and I figured out why I dont like Tito finally.

When told of Ring's knee his immediate first reaction was "ffs, why me, everything is against me!". There wasnt a bit of concern for his fighter who was making a hard choice and had a busted knee that needed surgery.

Giving it to Hammortree there and then was a touch hasty but I knew after last season that that would weigh heavy with Dana. He said as much.
    I dont know what to think about that really, you cant fault Hammortree for going after him and I can understand Dana going "you know what, only one of them wanted it enough to take that step" but I did feel sorry for the other bloke (beardy guy, name escapes me), who was being polite not to chase after Dana like a puppy dog.

In the end, Hammortree disappointed me but he could be a good fighter I think.

Court looked better and better, Uscola will get exposed I think (not sure why I think that, its a hunch) and I cant wait to see Yager in action again, I think thats going to be a great fight. Either Yager will totally destroy his opponent or it will turn into a war that will test his heart. I find it hard to see Yager losing it.

</2c>

DeV.

Yeah yager is a class fighter but such an arrogant mounthpiece its unreal. Id love to see someone bounce him off the deck, not in the bunch though unfortunately. he reminds me of that prick a few seasons back when Bisping was on it, Daggerrrrrrrrrrr. He got kicked in the head and knocked out by some jewish lad, Rory singer I think. I would have loved to see Casey against Yager, coz they hate each other and Casey aint afraid of him, the rest seem to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

well all we've seen of yager so far is his standup, so when we comes up against a good wrestler he could spend the fight on his back, i know the last guy he faced was a wrestler but he didnt put any effort into his shot,

Dana: chuck dont break your phone
    chuck: no im going punchinh tito in his face

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »
    well all we've seen of yager so far is his standup, so when we comes up against a good wrestler he could spend the fight on his back, i know the last guy he faced was a wrestler but he didnt put any effort into his shot

Yeah but he's like a cat. In the last fight he used his hips to sway his momentum away from the shoot. Thats incredibly hard to do.
    I'd say none of the fighters there apart from McGray would be able to take him down.
    Noke looked ill in that fight. I don't know but he didn't look 100%. Great showing by McGray, him and Court McGee could have a great fight.
    Seth Baczinski is a good fighter, I liked his body triangle, it was one of the tightest I've seen.
    Tavares showed great conditioning in being able to stand up with Baczinski on his back like that. Then after almost the whole round being dominated he is able to throw heavy, fast punches to Seth from the top.
    Just a pity the fight had to end the way it did, I doubt Tavares was acting. He got a full force soccer kick in the face and was out cold. His instincts took over and he popped back up though. Doctor was right to call the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Kick on the chest? LOL. I bet Tito and co felt stupid when they saw the video.

Tito apologized on Twitter last night after the episode was shown:
    Tito Ortiz wrote:
    Chuckypoo and Tavares I'm sorry. I was wrong.

http://twitter.com/titoortiz

Dana : Tito's pulled out of your fight

Chuck stands up, grabs his phone and something else

Dana : Don't throw your phone, what you doin

Chuck : I'm gonna go punch him

Comedy fcukin gold right there :D:D

Hope Yaeger gets his ass handed to him next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

What an episode. Pretty dodgy decision in the 1st fight to let it go to the 3rd but the right result happened in the end. Did anyone notice Kyle had nail varnish on his toes. Chuck finding out the fight was off was brilliant :D

Can wait to see the next fight. I said I thought Uscola would be exposed and he should have been if his opponent had had any ability to stay on his feet. :) Even so, he got hurt from the ground in the first round (you can clearly hear Dana saying that he took more damage while on top!).

The Soccer kick was nasty man, I thought he was faking until the reply, man...he's out *cold* before he hit the floor. love the way he bounces up and when his opponent apologises he goes "for what?"... talk about not knowing what hit you! Wow. Sh*tty way to end a good fight but you cant kick people in the head and expect to continue.

As for the handbags? Yet more of Tito not giving a crap about his fighters and only whinging about how it all goes against *him* imho. If I was Chuck, I'd want to punch him in the face too :)

DeV.

Can wait to see the next fight. I said I thought Uscola would be exposed and he should have been if his opponent had had any ability to stay on his feet. :) Even so, he got hurt from the ground in the first round (you can clearly hear Dana saying that he took more damage while on top!).

The Soccer kick was nasty man, I thought he was faking until the reply, man...he's out *cold* before he hit the floor. love the way he bounces up and when his opponent apologises he goes "for what?"... talk about not knowing what hit you! Wow. Sh*tty way to end a good fight but you cant kick people in the head and expect to continue.

As for the handbags? Yet more of Tito not giving a crap about his fighters and only whinging about how it all goes against *him* imho. If I was Chuck, I'd want to punch him in the face too :)

DeV.

As much as i'd have loved to see Chuck kick the crap outta Tito again i think a Chuck/Rich fight is far more interesting.

And you're wrong, you can kick people in the head and expect them to continue....in Pride :P Wonder why that went tits up :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can wait to see the next fight. I said I thought Uscola would be exposed and he should have been if his opponent had had any ability to stay on his feet. :)

You getting Uscola confused with McGray?
    I think it's an open competition now. All of the guys are kind of equal in terms of ability.

NGGGGGGGGGGGGH Thanks Dojojoe, yes I meant McGray.... me and names, just not good friends at all :(

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

McCray showed a lot of heart in that last fight,i was impressed by his staying power in the third. Pity how the second fight ended, it was shaping up to be a great contest.

...just noticing in the last few episodes how bad Chucks speech has gone, he can hardly finish any sentence! too much punishment over the years taking its toll?

Advertisement