Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Evade wrote: »
    Are you wating until October when season two part two will be over?

If that is the case it could be spoiled if watching Slime Diaries next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I intend on waiting, but there's a good possibility I'll just watch up to the break. I'm already going back through other animes as I've run out of new ones that I think I'd like to watch. And with Re:Zero, Jujutsu Kaisen, World Trigger and a few more due to finish up in the next few weeks, there'll be less to watch! Half way through S2 of One Punch man again, I keep forgetting just how good it is. But I will be watching slime from the start again so that'll tie up a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's one of the all time great openings.

I almost can't believe the final Rebuild movie is out.

Didn't realise it was out So only have to wait for the dub?

I'm waiting closer to the release of the dub before I start watching any of the films.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was out So only have to wait for the dub?

I'm waiting closer to the release of the dub before I start watching any of the films.

It's only out in Japanese cinemas atm. Expect the dub to be later than with previous films as it is believed that Funimation have lost the license on the Rebuild movies to GKids/Anime Limited.

GKids and Anime Limited also have the rights to the original series and are releasing it on blu-ray later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Are Gkids/Anime Limited the ones that redid the version on Netflix?

Are Gkids/Anime Limited the ones that redid the version on Netflix?

Netflix redubbed that under the direct supervision of Khara.

All the scripts were done by a Khara staffer fluent in English, but not a native speaker, which is why the new dub is a complete mess.

The old ADV dub is not the most accurate, they were known for being pretty loose wrt translation, but at least it made sense grammatically in English.

Surely it can't take longer than 3.33 took to release.

Maybe someone here could answer why it takes so long to dub?
    Like we have series that are simuldubbed (at least during non pandemic times) and films that are released within months of their Japanese release.
    And with a highly visible franchise such as this they would work to get it out sooner than later.

Looking on wiki at the time between Japan and US release dates
    1.0 - nearly 2 years
    2.0 - nearly 2 years
    3.0 - over 3 years (supposedly they didn't like the dub script or something so had to start from scratch)

Looking at the title, it doesn't have a "(Not)"

Anyway, on topic, only anime i'm watching at the moment is Attack on Titan.

I did randomly watch Silent Voice on Netflix recently and found it really good

Surely it can't take longer than 3.33 took to release.

Maybe someone here could answer why it takes so long to dub?
    Like we have series that are simuldubbed (at least during non pandemic times) and films that are released within months of their Japanese release.
    And with a highly visible franchise such as this they would work to get it out sooner than later.

Looking on wiki at the time between Japan and US release dates
    1.0 - nearly 2 years
    2.0 - nearly 2 years
    3.0 - over 3 years (supposedly they didn't like the dub script or something so had to start from scratch)

Looking at the title, it doesn't have a "(Not)"

Anyway, on topic, only anime i'm watching at the moment is Attack on Titan.

I did randomly watch Silent Voice on Netflix recently and found it really good

3.0 was dubbed within months and had a US cinema release of the dub.

Representatives of Khara were at the premier and were aghast at the dub.

This caused the home release, 3.33, to be entirely redubbed under strict supervision from Khara. The massive delay to the home release was due to Kharas refusal to approve the new dub script.

Khara are ridiculously strict in how everything is done as seen with all the forced grammatical errors in the Netflix dub such as "Third Children".

As it was ADV had to fight Gainax tooth and nail to get that changed to "Third Child" in their original dub of the series.

Those 3 films were also released when 2 years from Japanese cinema release/broadcast was the normal window for US home release, due to the advent of simuldubbing and less restrictive hold back clauses in the licencing agreements this has been reduced to approximately 1 year.

Hopefully now that streaming is more ubiquitous the sub won't be too after the JP home release, there's no chance of a cinema release here. If Funimation have lost the dub rights it's almost guaranteed there'll be a new cast and 1,2, and 3 will have to be redubbed too.

A Silent Voice is great it's one of my favourite films.

• Advertisement

Hopefully now that streaming is more ubiquitous the sub won't be too after the JP home release, there's no chance of a cinema release here. If Funimation have lost the dub rights it's almost guaranteed there'll be a new cast and 1,2, and 3 will have to be redubbed too.

A Silent Voice is great it's one of my favourite films.

I'd say they'd have no issue using the Funimation cast, none of their voice actors are employees of Funimation, they are all independent contractors.

If it is getting recast expect it to be done by NYAV as both Gkids and Anime Limited normally commission them for dubs such as Mai Mai Miracle, Your Name, Weathering With You, Promare and A Silent Voice.

I'd say they'd have no issue using the Funimation cast, none of their voice actors are employees of Funimation, they are all independent contractors.

If it is getting recast expect it to be done by NYAV as both Gkids and Anime Limited normally commission them for dubs such as Mai Mai Miracle, Your Name, Weathering With You, Promare and A Silent Voice.

It's more to do with who owns the rights to the dub script and audio. It's possible Funimation still retain those and if the new rights holders plan to release more blu rays or make it available on streaming it'll probably be cheaper to redo it.

It's more to do with who owns the rights to the dub script and audio. It's possible Funimation still retain those and if the new rights holders plan to release more blu rays or make it available on streaming it'll probably be cheaper to redo it.

They don't. Under modern licencing agreements the dub only remains the property of the licencee until the costs for the dub are recouped. After the costs have been recouped the dub becomes the property of the production committee.

The only time recently I've seen where a new series has been redubbed is Baki The Grappler. Netflix are looking for mad money to use the dub and they still retain the rights as they haven't recovered the costs yet.

They don't. Under modern licencing agreements the dub only remains the property of the licencee until the costs for the dub are recouped. After the costs have been recouped the dub becomes the property of the production committee.
    When did that start? Rebuild 1 came out a decade ago.

When did that start? Rebuild 1 came out a decade ago.

It's been that way for pretty much the entire dvd era.

It's only really mid nineties dubs and earlier that remain the property of the licencee. There are a few outliers though, of which iinm the Evangelion series is one.

All 3 rebuild movies are under the modern licencing agreements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finished Evangelion.
    Er......:confused:

• Advertisement

Barna77 wrote: »
    Finished Evangelion.
    Er......:confused:
    Did you watch End of Evangelion?

Did you watch End of Evangelion?
    Not yet.
    I need a break from all the shouting, god they are loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Hi Score Girl on Netflix.
    It's fantastic. Anyone who played videogames in the 90s should check it out.

I also finished the Pacific rim anime. It was surprisingly good

Not yet.
    I need a break from all the shouting, god they are loud!
    EoE might clear up a few things or it might make you more confused.

Don't read this until you've watched it
    how awesome was Asuka's last stand

EoE might clear up a few things or it might make you more confused.

Don't read this until you've watched it
    how awesome was Asuka's last stand
    Yep, just watched it.
    As annoying as she can be, she's pretty badass.

Shinji just needs a good ride.

I read today an "explanation" for the overall plot, which helped to "understand" it. It could have been done in a more straightforward manner alright, but that would beat the purpose...

I see I wasn't the only one totally confused after watching the last two episodes.

• Advertisement

I see I wasn't the only one totally confused after watching the last two episodes.
    I think everyone was. I watched it on TV in 2002/2003 with no idea there was a movie to cap it off, I was very confused and annoyed.

Relevant funny image I saw the other day. The first two or so times I saw this scene what Shinji was doing went right over my head.

2plyi82t05s51.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Junior decided I needed to watch the Titans one with him so we saw the first 7 episodes last night, its actually good.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I found that bit with Folgen in this weeks Slime hilarious for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I found that bit with Folgen in this weeks Slime hilarious for some reason.

Same as, that while scene was gas! Slime is solidly delivering every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

For some reason I went into "Tomozaki-kun bottom tier character" 's anime thinking it would be quite cringe in terms of weird "gamer" references after watching the atrocity that was "GAMERS!" back in 2018, but I have to say, I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than Horimiya and I've read Horimiya's manga! :pac:

Anime has many surprises.

Jobless Reincarnation is top tier atm tho.

Emilia pulling a Raphtalia this week.

I think now that the cour is finished, I'll have to go back and rewatch Re:Zero in a binge, I'm kinda lost as to what I should and shouldn't know about what happened/is happening!
    When Beatrice said to Roswaal "Are you... Roswaal?" I was, and still am, completely confused.

I think now that the cour is finished, I'll have to go back and rewatch Re:Zero in a binge, I'm kinda lost as to what I should and shouldn't know about what happened/is happening!
    When Beatrice said to Roswaal "Are you... Roswaal?" I was, and still am, completely confused.
    She is asking if he is the same Roswaal from when Echidna was alive.

I'll probably put Re:Zero in my list of things I watch before falling asleep and end up rewatching it a few times.

I didn't notice until i read it somewhere else that
    Subaru doesn't die at all in season two part two.

Something I always wondered why they left out of the anime, so far at least, is (small manga spoiler for something that took place in season one)
    Al, Priscilla's knight, is from Japan too. In the anime he noticeably reacts when Subaru says that Anastasia speaks like someone from Kansai but don't do anything else with it.

With the talk of it, I'm rewatching Evangelion for the first time since seeing it on one of the UK channels all those years ago.
    On episode 4 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

With the talk of it, I'm rewatching Evangelion for the first time since seeing it on one of the UK channels all those years ago.
    On episode 4 now

Man I swear I literally just finished it today.
    I am shook.

Why didn't I watch this so long ago, this felt like true writing, :D

It's strange how we remember things. Like I was sure Asuka was in it from the beginning or at least the first couple episodes.

It's strange how we remember things. Like I was sure Asuka was in it from the beginning or at least the first couple episodes.

I think it has to do with knowing she's a main character and typically in western shows that would mean she's there from episode one. I like how some anime introduce the characters over the course of a few episodes.

I watched the first episode of Joran the Princess of Snow and Blood, it was pretty good. I like the art style, it almost looks like something really high budget from the 80s or 90s at times, and the story seems like it could be interesting.

No more Non Non Byori and Yuru Camp is gone until the movie in 2022. I hope there's another relaxing slice of life this season.

Going down memory lane again, I'm watching Dragon Ball Super. So happy it brings back the old silly humour.

Also, Dragon Quest. The Adventure of Dai (remake). Ah I loved the 1991 series. I'm pretty sure I had the manga too.

On my waiting list, Rurouni Kenshin. I never finished the series when it was on back in the 90s

Lord, I'm feeling old :(

So the season finale of World Trigger was a bit of a let down. Nothing really happened.

My easy slice of life is sorted with Let's Make a Cup Too - girls in a pottery club.

There's two sports anime that had good first episodes, Farewell my Dear Cramer - girls playing soccer and Burning Kabaddi - boys playing kabaddi (which I found out wasn't something made up in Chio's School Road).

Those Snow White Notes had a good first episode too.

Slime was good I hope it keeps focus on the side characters.

Shaping up to be pretty good this season.

Shaman King is in Netflix limbo, I hope they're not going to keep it there until all 50 episodes are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

My easy slice of life is sorted with Let's Make a Cup Too - girls in a pottery club.

There's two sports anime that had good first episodes, Farewell my Dear Cramer - girls playing soccer and Burning Kabaddi - boys playing kabaddi (which I found out wasn't something made up in Chio's School Road).

Those Snow White Notes had a good first episode too.

Slime was good I hope it keeps focus on the side characters.

Shaping up to be pretty good this season.

Shaman King is in Netflix limbo, I hope they're not going to keep it there until all 50 episodes are out.

Yeah I spotted Lets Make on Crunchy yesterday and gave it a whirl, seems fun enough.

Cant take kabaddi seriously after Chio's either, it just looks like a ludicrous "sport".

Still looking forward to Iruma S2, ZombieLand S2, To Your Eternity, Nagatoro and there's probably some more coming soon I've forgotten.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    ZombieLand S2
    40 hours until more Saki.

• Advertisement

40 hours until more Saki.

Saki? Ok, whatever floats your boat.

Myself...

6iDw5rz.jpg

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Saki? Ok, whatever floats your boat.

Myself...

6iDw5rz.jpg
    It's not my way but I respect your beliefs. I hope Yugiri gets a focused episode this season, she's the only one who hasn't had one yet.

Middling first episode of Zombieland Saga Revenge. I have a feeling they weren't planning on a season two so they had to knock the girls back a few steps.

Looks like it's a Saki episode next week.

The first episode of Eighty Six was very good. I usually try to know as little as possible before I watch the first episode and the premise here is pretty interesting. I wonder how open a secret what the drones are really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

From the new series so far..

86: literally have no idea what's going on haha, will hopefully learn more in season 2

Edens Zero: good opening episode, decent storyline

Mars red: nice anime style, like 86 really vague opening will need to watch ep2 to garner interest

Shaman King : enjoyable so far

Watched the first episode of To Your Eternity
    could see what was coming but still needed a little lie down after
    . Its from the same director of A Silent Voice which was a great movie so high hopes its good.

• Advertisement

I was going to skip that but since a Silent Voice is one of my all time favourite films I'll have to watch it.

I was going to skip that but since a Silent Voice is one of my all time favourite films I'll have to watch it.

The manga is part of a Humble Bundle atm.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/spring-2021-anime-season-books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

First time anime poster..
    I've two series on the go atm. Almost done with the second season of Yuru Camp. I don't want to finish it, enjoying it way too much.

The other is Orange. Also about half way through.

Also watched all of The Way of the Househusband in an evening.

Fyi, the garbage PS4 and PS5 Funimation apps have now been updated to be the same as the Switch app. Xbox still to follow.

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2021/04/26/all-new-funimation-app-arrives-on-playstation-4-and-playstation-5/

It'd be nice if they did the PS3 app too, I still use it for my bedroom TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement