Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to say sorry to travellers and give them a few quid for past wrongs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    How about not being a net-loss for society?

In what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I try to live and let live, by usually giving people the benefit of the doubt. In my 76 years I have had very few bad experiences with people in general. Of those I have had (including my house burgled, trespassing, theft, and damage to the local environment or property) over 75% would be directly proven as attributable to travellers. I suppose there have to be decent honest travellers somewhere among them but, unfortunately, I have yet to come across any personally.

As a group or section of society they have been well imbursed by the state for their contributions to date.

Unfortunately, the usual rules of society don't seem to apply to travellers, and their a la carte attitude to rules, rights and wrongs does not entitle them to any reparation for circumstances they brought on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Rx713B wrote: »
    They contribute nothing to society , they will rob you blind , they are horrific to animals , they go on as if they are broke yet floating around in a brand new ford focus . Am I tarring them all with the same brush...absolutely . There is not one decent one of them and if they seem decent to you there either robbing you or about too.

Had work done on my house on two separate occasions, it was only when the guys turned up that I guessed they were Travellers from their surnames and accents (anybody who thinks they can spot one facially with 100% accuracy is an idiot), although I suspect 'settled' in both instances, so privately had my reservations but they were both as good as gold. The first chap was a builder the second a landscaper.

There has to be some ok ones even though I'd still give them a wide berth given their track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AllForIt wrote: »
    Statements like those are only going to further alienate them from society.
    They live where they want, do what they want, do not comply with the laws... I think they have alienated themselves fairly well by themselves!
    Something I am curious about though is why they all have Cavan accents even if they were born and bred in Derry.
    To change your accent, you must live with others. People who leave Ireland to live in America, Australia, etc, live with the locals, and pick up their accent. Whereas the travellers only live with their own, and thus only sound like their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Blah blah blah travellers blah blah blah blah gives us money blah blah blah blah ...............

GO F$CK YOURSELVES

• Advertisement

Not until I get my gates back.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

Graces7 wrote: »
    In what way?

As in the consume more resources than they contribute. Most citizens pay taxes, and through their employment, generate wealth for the economy. Travellers do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

PinotNero wrote: »
    Can the reparations be paid in copper :pac:

Or lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or lead.

Or gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Neck like a jockey's bollix on that lad claiming they are similar to the Native American Indians or the Aborigines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most people secretly have a mistrust of them, but pretend they haven't to come across as so PC and accepting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Is it time to right the wrongs of the past and give them a helping hand ?

Yes Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Question, they were found to be genetically variant to the rest of the populace, do you think this is proof of actual different origins or resultant of generations of intermarriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Any cross section of society or individual(s) who are earning and unwilling to contribute towards the running of the state should be criminalized.

They want the benefits of it... dole, disability allowance, policing, health services and infrastructure but EVERYONE must contribute to the running and upkeep of the state... that COSTS.

It is grossly unfair to expect us to pay but not them because of some ‘cultural’ anomaly.

I simply cannot go under the radar and not be accountable for my earnings... I can’t claim ‘cultural immunity’ from contributing.

Education in this state is delivered free. It is accessible to all. There is zero excuse for not educating their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I try to live and let live, by usually giving people the benefit of the doubt. In my 76 years I have had very few bad experiences with people in general. Of those I have had (including my house burgled, trespassing, theft, and damage to the local environment or property) over 75% would be directly proven as attributable to travellers. I suppose there have to be decent honest travellers somewhere among them but, unfortunately, I have yet to come across any personally.

As a group or section of society they have been well imbursed by the state for their contributions to date.

Unfortunately, the usual rules of society don't seem to apply to travellers, and their a la carte attitude to rules, rights and wrongs does not entitle them to any reparation for circumstances they brought on themselves.

It's funny because i have seen them try to canonize frog ward because of how he died. The seem to forget the torture that he put Nally through and what led up to happening on the night.

Yet we are supposed to have empathy for them when they generally show none for others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    Or gates.

Or power tools

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Has anyone else noticed there are builders and roofers driving around in vans posing as Travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dd973 wrote: »
    Question, they were found to be genetically variant to the rest of the populace, do you think this is proof of actual different origins or resultant of generations of intermarriage?

Same origin as the rest of us but they've been selectively riding each other for hundreds of years...when they aren't battering each other over the head that it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

If horses had the same breeding linage their life span expectancy would be demonised also .. there is a reason why breeders spend millions on their profession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

After being called at 11 one night by a Traveller with a threat to break into my house for giving a bad review on adverts, they can go and ****e. Because of that one guy I am happy to tar them all with the same brush.

Get your house in order before asking for respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would be happy for each and every traveller to receive a once off tax free payment of €50,000 in reparations once 90% of their children are completing second level education.

But after that, i never want to hear another whinge out of them again. No more special status. They will become normal Irish citizens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I would be happy for each and every traveller to receive a once off tax free payment of €50,000 in reparations once 90% of their children are completing second level education.

But after that, i never want to hear another whinge out of them again. No more special status. They will become normal Irish citizens again.

That plan would cost the state approximately 50,000 euro.

That plan would cost the state approximately 50,000 euro.
    it's a pie in the sky idea obviously but what do you think the result of it would be?

90% of travellers educated to leaving cert would see a huge upsurge of engagement in third level education. add that to an end to their special status....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

it's a pie in the sky idea obviously but what do you think the result of it would be?

90% of travellers educated to leaving cert would see a huge upsurge of engagement in third level education. add that to an end to their special status....

You are talkig 40-50 years before youll get to those figures. Youre literally talking about unlearning generations of negative attitudes to education and taught criminality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't know when it started but the legal sector, QUANGOcrat class and the PC ideologues in media decided to join forces in pulling one the biggest scams on the tax payer

The narative - bad joke that travellers are both a separate race and perpetual victims of the rest of us who must be unquestionably funded from cradle to grave due to their precious uniqueness

The traveller industry is a hugely important one, it both pays the salary of a lot of professional phoney, s and professional do-gooders

The rest of us must swallow this turd sandwich or be tarred with the racist label

Mad country

You are talkig 40-50 years before youll get to those figures. Youre literally talking about unlearning generations of negative attitudes to education and taught criminality
    well the point is they might unlearn faster if cash is offered?

"More than half of Travellers who drop out of second level have done so by the age of 15. The number of Traveller children who go onto third level represents just 1pc of the Traveller community."

This is supposed to be something the state has done to Travellers? :confused:

Travellers have traditionally taken their children out of school during adolescence so they don't develop relationships outside the Traveller community. Early school-leaving is closely connected to the Traveller tradition of consanguineous marriage. Admittedly, Irish state agencies have been unconscionably lax in enforcing the legal obligation of Traveller parents to send their children to school at least until age 16 — but to claim that the problem originates with the state is simply wrong.

Travellers don't want third-level education. Imagine that most Traveller children were going on to third-level education and becoming doctors, nurses, teachers, and engineers. Would they be happy to come back to the halting site, marry their cousins, and pop out numerous children as tradition dictates? Not at all — they would meet other partners through university, work, etc., and quickly integrate into the settled middle class. Third-level education would destroy Traveller culture in short order, and Travellers know that, so they reject it.

The majority of Travellers' woes are self-inflicted. Their "traditions" of early school-leaving, early consanguineous marriage, large families (half of Traveller women have five or more children), nomadic drifting, etc., do them no favours in the modern world. So we owe them no "reparations."

I'm appalled, you seriously need to attend a twelve week ( tax payer funded) course in diversity and ethnic sensitivity training.

I know what it is like to be treated as a 3rd class citizen due to being an Aspergers loner man so I don't go out of my way to hate them. Something I am curious about though is why they all have Cavan accents even if they were born and bred in Derry.

They don't have Cavan accents, they all have Midlands accents

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

WTF.

It is always someone else fault.

And the fact the vast majority of them are already on taxpayer funded handouts of all sorts, yet they have never contributed anything isn't ever thought of says it all.
    But they are travellers and their grandparents were knackers and respected for that job. The new breed though they need a new name as their neither travelling or any good at metal work.
    Someone needs to reign in the thieving it's way out of control, guards are a joke to them.

The only word that comes to mind is "nickers".
    After all that would describe the profession a hell of a lot of them now perform.

Of course we could also use whingers because they are damn good at that as well.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    It's funny because i have seen them try to canonize frog ward because of how he died. The seem to forget the torture that he put Nally through and what led up to happening on the night.

Yet we are supposed to have empathy for them when they generally show none for others.

Travellers do not view preying on members of the settled community by their brethren to be immoral.

Advertisement