Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to say sorry to travellers and give them a few quid for past wrongs?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

"13% of traveller children complete second level education. 1% go onto third level education."

Improve this x5 and come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

0.6% of the population yet they are 22% of the prison population.

Yeah, the State is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do they not get €200 a week each to cover this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I thought they had been getting reparations for years. It's just called mickey money.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

How is it in any way racist? They aren't a different race. They are a subset of white Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Elemonator wrote: »
    How is it in any way racist? They aren't a different race. They are a subset of white Irish.

Enda opened up that can of worms unfortunately.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Do they not get €200 a week each to cover this already?

actually they get it at 16 where everyone else is told they cannot get it at 18 and get off you ass and get a job!!
    By some miracle of science one of them and makes it to university, and they finish it is always something like minority studies or social science.
    Its never anything real like Engineering, Nursing, Law or Science.
    .... and when they are done ..... its back to the dole/Dochas/minding the childers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭blackcard

Reparations can work both ways

JRant wrote: »
    I thought they had been getting reparations for years. It's just called mickey money.

.......... and aren't they winning that war? "Spread 'em there D'julia, we need another 6 before start of next month!".

• Advertisement

Reading through that article:

"racism...racism...racism..." ad infinitum.

An absurd sense of victimhood without actually addressing the elephant in the room. Namely taking responsibility for their own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,037 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Reading through that article:

"racism...racism...racism..." ad infinitum.

An absurd sense of victimhood without actually addressing the elephant in the room. Namely taking responsibility for their own actions.

Sure isn’t this d single biggest issue in society as a whole..

Everyone blaming everyone else for the ills!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Who comes up with these ideas? is the country not in enough dept without more payments, i know a good few traveller families,they have helped me in many ways over the years, but believe me they don't need any money [but i'm sure the'll take it if it's offered ] cos their loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I actually have to confess to having watched some of that session of the Oireachtas. I found it sad that a small minority of settled people have caused such a terrible injustice to the travelling community and believe that they should be given reparations.........

right after the vast majority of of the travelling community who commit crimes against the settled community pay us reparations, and not from the f!#@ing handfuls of social welfare they get every week either.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

decky1 wrote: »
    Who comes up with these ideas? is the country not in enough dept without more payments, i know a good few traveller families,they have helped me in many ways over the years, but believe me they don't need any money [but i'm sure the'll take it if it's offered ] cos their loaded

They are great arent they? Taking away all that awful copper and nasty lead off the roof. Mind you they took our little jack russell dog for a walk and never brought him back. I wonder what became of him. They are so funny with their little eccentricities of visiting old people living on their own and relieving them off all that unsafe money in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Two words. Margart Cash.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Two words. Margart Cash.

Two more : Frog Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Sure why not? Hows about a 40" TV and a piebald?

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I actually have to confess to having watched some of that session of the Oireachtas. I found it sad that a small minority of settled people have caused such a terrible injustice to the travelling community and believe that they should be given reparations.........

right after the vast majority of of the travelling community who commit crimes against the settled community pay us reparations, and not from the f!#@ing handfuls of social welfare they get every week either.

..... and they should get welfare taken away from them because they contribute sweet fanny adams to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

If we pay them for all the bad things they THINK we did to them will they in turn pay me for the TV, cash and my late grandmother's jewelery I KNOW one of their lot stole from my house?

I think travellers should all get a vasectomy with their christmas bonus. News just in, the HSE just hired Doctor Lorena Bobbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Can the reparations be paid in copper :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They are always the victim, it is never their fault....

Can the victims of their crimes get reparations?

The two will then cancel themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Has anyone on here actually read the article??

If so, what do you think of a so called "senator" using such horrible derogatory terms to refer to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Does this mean they have to give me back my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

pinkyeye wrote: »

If so, what do you think of a so called "senator" using such horrible derogatory terms to refer to anyone?

But they are travellers and their grandparents were knackers and respected for that job. The new breed though they need a new name as their neither travelling or any good at metal work.
    Someone needs to reign in the thieving it's way out of control, guards are a joke to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Should she have called them copper stealing pikies instead?

Also, if the money was paid out, who would it be paid to? How do they prove that they live in Ireland, and aren't just over from the UK to collect the payout?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They should pay victims of travellers first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Yeah absolutely horrendous language from someone in the public eye. There are far nicer ways to describe them.

Caravan
    Utilising
    Nomadic
    Travellers
    S

Advertisement