Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

https://www.rte.ie/eile/2021/0209/1196058-have-your-say-about-rte/

A chance to air your views, to some degree.

Did anyone at RTE bother reviewing this important survey before publishing it?

Full of typos and grammatical errors.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ are killing off DAB radio.

pay rise for Dee??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ are killing off DAB radio.

pay rise for Dee??

The only part of their 2020 - 2024 strategy plan that they were able to actually implement.

Anyway I have a feeling she isn't renewing her contract. She was due before the Houses of the Oirechtas Joint Committee on Media, Art etc in early December and also in Jan to take questions at the Future of Media Committee in late January. She is due to decide if she will ask for a 2 year extension or leave the position in June this year.

I suspect her pay cut is for 2021 and not for 2020, meaning she'll possibly leave.

DAB is great. I've got hundreds of radio stations in my car on DAB channels.
    I don't switch over to FM any more.

Irish citizens don't know what they are missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'd hate to be Dee Forbes after that disastrous Prime Time show tonight.

I've said before, that I think Louise Byrne is rubbish on the program, but dear God was that a disastrous interview with FG and the John McGuirk, from Gript.

First of all, no-I'm not a fan of McGuirk. Far from it. I conpletely disagree with any kind of anti-vaccine thinking.

But he absolutely demolished Byrne tonight. It was embarrassing. Miriam O'Callahan had to come out with a swift apology at the end of the program.

I imagine Dee will have to handle a number of phone calls tomorrow, because she dropped the ball completely there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Didn’t see the show but I think Dee Forbes and RTÉ have a much bigger problem on their plate that is going to blow up pretty soon......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wouldn't surprise me - she's been useless from the first time she started on the show (watching now)

Didn’t see the show but I think Dee Forbes and RTÉ have a much bigger problem on their plate that is going to blow up pretty soon......

Tell me more or is this woke Mc?

Indeed. Once someone outs themselves as a 'male feminist'... you start the timer until they're outed as a sexual predator.

Case in point, Joss Whedon.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me - she's been useless from the first time she started on the show (watching now)

Tell me more or is this woke Mc?

I'd say all of the above. RTE been dropping the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'd hate to be Dee Forbes after that disastrous Prime Time show tonight.

I've said before, that I think Louise Byrne is rubbish on the program, but dear God was that a disastrous interview with FG and the John McGuirk, from Gript.

First of all, no-I'm not a fan of McGuirk. Far from it. I conpletely disagree with any kind of anti-vaccine thinking.

But he absolutely demolished Byrne tonight. It was embarrassing. Miriam O'Callahan had to come out with a swift apology at the end of the program.

I imagine Dee will have to handle a number of phone calls tomorrow, because she dropped the ball completely there.

McGuirk is anti vaccine??

McGuirk is anti vaccine??

While McGuirk himself is neither here nor there from what I can tell (he's been very pro-vaccine from the articles published on gript. At least those I've found), I was more pointing out how the 'propagated' story that RTE was disseminating was that anyone who might agree with the likes of the protesters also believed many conspiracies about vaccines.

I do not. I've had a few vaccines, not alot of them, just the necessary ones.
    Probably wouldn't be alive without em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

While McGuirk himself is neither here nor there from what I can tell (he's been very pro-vaccine from the articles published on gript. At least those I've found), I was more pointing out how the 'propagated' story that RTE was disseminating was that anyone who might agree with the likes of the protesters also believed many conspiracies about vaccines.

I do not. I've had a few vaccines, not alot of them, just the necessary ones.
    Probably wouldn't be alive without em.

Randomly came across this on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulmurphy_TD/status/1366886892927660034

Has there ever been a bigger clown in Irish politics?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

TomTomTim wrote: »

Mr Murphy wouldn't even make the Top10 in that particular hit parade

Well house of cards falling this week. .... lets announce the dropping of DAB....

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

TomTomTim wrote: »

Ruth Coppinger.

Ruth Coppinger.

What does she teach?

Elmo wrote: »
    Well house of cards falling this week. .... lets announce the dropping of DAB....

Jesus yeah... saw that a 'Trump' rap was taken down from 2fm too.

This will be a SERIOUS allegation if it proves true. And some folks are tweeting how they knew someone that he preyed upon.

I'd say its quiet behind the scenes, right now, because the solicitors, barristers etc are being contacted.

Wonder what his sister would say about this? Always knew something was off in that fam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Jesus yeah... saw that a 'Trump' rap was taken down from 2fm too.

This will be a SERIOUS allegation if it proves true. And some folks are tweeting how they knew someone that he preyed upon.

I'd say its quiet behind the scenes, right now, because the solicitors, barristers etc are being contacted.

Wonder what his sister would say about this? Always knew something was off in that fam.

What are you talking about?

Ive no idea?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

What does she teach?
    Economics? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Theworldisy

How many times has John Creedon gone around ireland. New show coming soon. Do rte every come up with anything new.

How many times has John Creedon gone around ireland. New show coming soon. Do rte every come up with anything new.

I actually don't mind that show, but yes you are right. I also thought it might have been a repeat its been repeated so many times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I actually don't mind that show, but yes you are right. I also thought it might have been a repeat its been repeated so many times!

JC has a lovely way about him and Ireland is a lovely place. Absolutely a match made in heaven. TV at it's best.

elperello wrote: »
    JC has a lovely way about him and Ireland is a lovely place. Absolutely a match made in heaven. TV at it's best.

Each to their own, but I find Creedon boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I'm no fan of these type of shows but I suppose it would be better watching him than Daniel and Majella.
    He seems a genuine sort of man compared to the other pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see ITV are after paying a reported £1 million for the Oprah interview of Harry and Meghan...
    ITV has confirmed that it has acquired the UK rights for the television special and will air the programme on Monday, 8 March at 9:00pm.

The two-hour special will be broadcast in the US by network CBS this Sunday. It has been reported that the ITV deal for the broadcast rights is around £1 million.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0303/1200546-duchess-of-sussex-saddened-by-bullying-claim/

I then see RTE2 are showing the interview on Monday night at 9.30, please tell me RTE didn't blow similar money for that trash?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It wouldn't have been cheap but no where near the figure ITV paid for something that would be more popular there and with a bigger audience

I see ITV are after paying a reported £1 million for the Oprah interview of Harry and Meghan...

I then see RTE2 are showing the interview on Monday night at 9.30, please tell me RTE didn't blow similar money for that trash?

Probably... I suppose this is where the DAB money went.

For right or wrong there has been a strong interest here in the doings of the royal family dating back almost fifty years to the wedding of Princess Anne.

It was reinforced through the Diana years and gathered a fresh head of steam with the arrival of the new generation.

Like it or not there will be an audience among a certain demographic for "When Oprah met the Royals" or whatever it's called.

elperello wrote: »
    For right or wrong there has been a strong interest here in the doings of the royal family dating back almost fifty years to the wedding of Princess Anne.

It was reinforced through the Diana years and gathered a fresh head of steam with the arrival of the new generation.

Like it or not there will be an audience among a certain demographic for "When Oprah met the Royals" or whatever it's called.

It's unlikely that RTÉ spent that kind of money on this interview. However, as an irish public service broadcaster they should take no interest in this, virgin media can always pick up this type of thing.

It's unlikely that RTÉ spent that kind of money on this interview. However, as an irish public service broadcaster they should take no interest in this, virgin media can always pick up this type of thing.

I'd say you are right there, they would have paid a much smaller amount.

If it washed it's face I have no issue with them showing it but I can see how it might upset some people.

It's a funny one really that a programme about the royals is annoying folks on all sides of the monarchy debate.

• Advertisement

They'd have paid based on a scale associated with the size of their potential audience.
    It isn't public service broadscasting so they should not be buying it but bought it to prevent the commercial broadcasters taking it.
    it is the sort of thing they do(or I remember them doing) like buying primetime US series and burning them off during the night after primetime just to stop the commercial stations getting a hold on them and using them as a base around which to build an evening's programming.

Advertisement