Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    My target is 21 points

I’d be hoping 28-30

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CatFromHue wrote: »
    cardiff (a) - week before 6N starts
    cheetahs (h)
    glasgow (a)
    ospreys (h)
    treviso (h) - week after 6N ends
    zebre (a)
    cardiff (h)
    munster (a)

I dunno if Connacht are good enough to make the top 3 but the table won't lie at the end of the season if they do or dont. They've games against their direct competition for a top 3 spot still to play.

Needless to say the games against Cardiff (H and A) and Ospreys (H) will be huge. They certainly need to win the home games there anyway.

By the last game away to Munster who knows what the situation might be? Munster might even be resting players depending on how they get on between now and then and other fixtures they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Needless to say the games against Cardiff (H and A) and Ospreys (H) will be huge. They certainly need to win the home games there anyway.

By the last game away to Munster who knows what the situation might be? Munster might even be resting players depending on how they get on between now and then and other fixtures they have.

Whatever Munster are on that day, I'd hope we won't rely on the last away game in Thomond, at least not for a home ChampionsCup play-off..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    My target is 21 points

That's for the 6 nation's period?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Munster 44|Connacht 37| Ospreys 37| Cardiff 32
    Dragons (A) |Cardiff (A)| Glasgow (A)|Connacht (H)
    Kings (H) |Cheetahs (H)| Ulster (H)|Glasgow (H)
    Ospreys (A) |Glasgow (A)| Munster (H)|Edinburgh (A)
    Scarlets (A) |Ospreys (H)| Connacht (A)|Kings (H)
    Zebre (H) |Treviso (H)| Dragons (H)|Scarlets (H)
    Cardiff (H) |Zebre (A)| Cheetahs (A)|Munster (A)
    Treviso (A)| Cardiff (H)| Kings (A)|Connacht (A)
    Connacht (H) |Munster (A)| Cardiff (A)|Ospreys (H)

edit, I know that I should probably add in Glasgow but I really couldn't be arsed looking up the rest of their matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    b.gud wrote: »
    Munster 44|Connacht 37| Ospreys 37| Cardiff 32
    Dragons (A) |Cardiff (A)| Glasgow (A)|Connacht (H)
    Kings (H) |Cheetahs (H)| Ulster (H)|Glasgow (H)
    Ospreys (A) |Glasgow (A)| Munster (H)|Edinburgh (A)
    Scarlets (A) |Ospreys (H)| Connacht (A)|Kings (H)
    Zebre (H) |Treviso (H)| Dragons (H)|Scarlets (H)
    Cardiff (H) |Zebre (A)| Cheetahs (A)|Munster (A)
    Treviso (A)| Cardiff (H)| Kings (A)|Connacht (A)
    Connacht (H) |Munster (A)| Cardiff (A)|Ospreys (H)

edit, I know that I should probably add in Glasgow but I really couldn't be arsed looking up the rest of their matches

Ospreys H, Cardiff A, Connacht H, Zebre A, Cheetahs H, Ulster H, Leinster A, Edinburgh H and they're on 42 points, not even gonna try editing the table on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Ospreys H, Cardiff A, Connacht H, Zebre A, Cheetahs H, Ulster H, Leinster A, Edinburgh H and they're on 42 points, not even gonna try editing the table on mobile.

Can see Glasgow collecting 26 more points max and as few as 21 wouldn't be much of a surprise. They have a few tricky games and are in rubbish form. Their outhalf is a liability right now too.

Connacht have a real opportunity here because Ospreys and Cardiff aren't going to collect many 5 pointers

I'd add Edinburgh, Scarlets, Treviso, and Ulster in the other Conference to compare who will get more points for the home European Play-off.
    If it takes place in The Sporstground, I'm highly confident we'll make it

But you'd say this is a too pessimistic scenario to be worth the table labour

The Friend Zone
    I'd add Edinburgh, Scarlets, Treviso, and Ulster in the other Conference to compare who will get more points for the home European Play-off.
    If it takes place in The Sporstground, I'm highly confident we'll make it

But you'd say this is a too pessimistic scenario to be worth the table labour

Can we stop talking about the play off. There’s a genuine chance to win the Conference. More likely to finish in the top 3 though. But finishing fourth Oscar worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Mul, it's over
    Munster 44|Glasgow 42|Connacht 37| Ospreys 37| Cardiff 32
    Dragons (A) |Ospreys (H)|Cardiff (A)| Glasgow (A)|Connacht (H)
    Kings (H) |Cardiff (A)|Cheetahs (H)| Ulster (H)|Glasgow (H)
    Ospreys (A) |Connacht (H)|Glasgow (A)| Munster (H)|Edinburgh (A)
    Scarlets (A) |Zebre (A)|Ospreys (H)| Connacht (A)|Kings (H)
    Zebre (H) |Cheetahs(H)|Treviso (H)| Dragons (H)|Scarlets (H)
    Cardiff (H) |Ulster(H)|Zebre (A)| Cheetahs (A)|Munster (A)
    Treviso (A)|Leinster(A)| Cardiff (H)| Kings (A)|Connacht (A)
    Connacht (H) |Edinburgh (H)|Munster (A)| Cardiff (A)|Ospreys (H)

Continuing on the good work of b.gud with thanks to Bazzo for the fixtures.

Great to see that Glasgow have to play Ulster, Leinster and finish with a game against Edinburgh too. Top of the conference is definitely in reach, although I'd worry that the injuries are mounting for Connacht.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    cardiff (a) - week before 6N starts
    cheetahs (h)
    glasgow (a)
    ospreys (h)
    treviso (h) - week after 6N ends
    zebre (a)
    cardiff (h)
    munster (a)

I dunno if Connacht are good enough to make the top 3 but the table won't lie at the end of the season if they do or dont. They've games against their direct competition for a top 3 spot still to play.

Yes some are getting carried away
    Here are my 21 points

cardiff (a) - week before 6N starts + glasgow (a) during 6N 2 points (TBP or LBP) somewhere, let's pray, it's the uneasiest part of my plan

cheetahs (h) + cardiff (h) 9 points (1 TBP)

ospreys (h) during 6N + treviso (h) - week after 6N 10 points (2 TBP, hard task but achievable)

zebre (Full-strenght,) (a) or munster (a) 1 point, I really don't expect more

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Here are my 21 points

cardiff (a) - week before 6N starts + glasgow (a) during 6N 2 points (TBP or LBP) somewhere, let's pray, it's the uneasiest part of my plan

ospreys (h) during 6N + treviso (h) - week after 6N 10 points (2 TBP, hard task but achievable)

You expect us to lose to Zebre?? The way both teams are playing this year?

Zzippy wrote: »
    You expect us to lose to Zebre?? The way both teams are playing this year?

Zebre are improved, were ok vs Cheetahs. Michael Bradley is doing a decent job. They will target us, 2 weeks after 6N

Mul, it's over
    Top of the conference is definitely in reach, although I'd worry that the injuries are mounting for Connacht.

Connacht should be taking inspiration from Castres the next 2 week's (not the disciplinary part tho)

Mul, it's over
    Zebre are improved, were ok vs Cheetahs. Michael Bradley is doing a decent job. They will target us, 2 weeks after 6N

Zebre are not improved. They were poor against a poor opponent yesterday.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Zebre are not improved. They were poor against a poor opponent yesterday.

Connacht can be poor in Italy too. You all forgot are record there. Always tough.

Look 21 would be a very nice outcome. 58 points in the end, on course for Top3 and likely home play-off at worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Here are my 21 points

Would rather get carried away than aim for a grand total of 3 points from four away games v Cardiff, Glasgow during 6N, Zebre and Munster. Jesus....will be disappointed if Connacht haven't exceeded your total after the first of those games.

On another note, will be interesting to see what side is selected this week. League remains priority for me so would rest Blade and Carty. Maybe Fa'ingaa, Farrell and Kelleher too.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    On another note, will be interesting to see what side is selected this week. League remains priority for me so would rest Blade and Carty. Maybe Fa'ingaa, Farrell and Kelleher too.

Player registration rules for Europe might limit the amount of resting we're able to do. We already made some changes to the squad so not sure if we'd be able to register any of Lloyd, Daly or Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Player registration rules for Europe might limit the amount of resting we're able to do. We already made some changes to the squad so not sure if we'd be able to register any of Lloyd, Daly or Fitzgerald
    Its only 3 changes in pool stage and Kerins has replaced Conor McKeon already and wasnt Horowitz in for Ronaldson as well so unless its a front row change there is no changes until knockout stages

The Friend Zone
    Its only 3 changes in pool stage and Kerins has replaced Conor McKeon already and wasnt Horowitz in for Ronaldson as well so unless its a front row change there is no changes until knockout stages

Was Horwitz a replacement? Terrible if so. I’d be looking for a back line of
    9. Mitchell
    10. Horwitz
    11. Healy
    12. Bundee / Farrell
    13. Godwin
    14. De buitlear
    15. Leader

21. Lloyd/ blade if no more registrations can be made
    22. Fitzgerald
    23. Kelleher/ Farrell/ toh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Fair enough but with Horwitz and Conor Fitzgerald fit, would definitely be giving Carty some rest, he's Connacht's most important player right now and his minutes must be very high currently. Would bench Blade too and let Mitchell play. Would give De Buitléar some more game time and Kelleher has played the most so bench him. The rest depends on who's available I guess

Here's the full squad list. Not sure if Horowitz was added instead of Ronaldson or not

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Was Horwitz a replacement? Terrible if so. I’d be looking for a back line of
    9. Mitchell
    10. Horwitz
    11. Healy
    12. Bundee / Farrell
    13. Godwin
    14. De buitlear
    15. Leader

21. Lloyd/ blade if no more registrations can be made
    22. Fitzgerald
    23. Kelleher/ Farrell/ toh
    Yeah looked it up. Horwitz replaced ronaldson back in october so connacht cant make any more changes for pool stage

The Friend Zone
    Here's the full squad list. Not sure if Horowitz was added instead of Ronaldson or not

Still can’t get over them de registering mckeon over scholes for kerins

The Friend Zone
    Yeah looked it up. Horwitz replaced ronaldson back in october so connacht cant make any more changes for pool stage

Can remember now you mention it but had completely forgot and thought there’d be another spot

Anyway no Fitzgerald n°2, no Daly then.
    Good chance to see Bundee

I'm optmistic we can give a good beating to Sale who're going to change their team, then home QF
    Win it and it's 90% sure to qualify for Champions Cup that way (considering the other likely SF, LaRochelle, Clermont, and Quins, would already be qualified)

Then I would care about your tables, Pro14 will be less stressful and cherry on the cake!

The Friend Zone
    On craggy rugby, blade said Farrell and carty were involved in Irish camps, presumably that was the most recent two day camp. Great for the pair of them as it’s thoroughly deserved. If they were to be included in the squad traveling to Portugal before the six nations could leave options short for the Cardiff game

On craggy rugby, blade said Farrell and carty were involved in Irish camps, presumably that was the most recent two day camp. Great for the pair of them as it’s thoroughly deserved. If they were to be included in the squad traveling to Portugal before the six nations could leave options short for the Cardiff game

Yeah bad for Connacht, but we can't be unhappy for those 2, they are great this season

Huge ask for Fitz, Horwitz and Daly.
    Friend must use Carty for both CC games then, and prepare huge training sessions for those 3 to combine together in tbe 10/12 axis...

The Friend Zone
    Yeah bad for Connacht, but we can't be unhappy for those 2, they are great this season

Huge ask for Fitz, Horwitz and Daly.
    Friend must use Carty for both CC games then, and prepare huge training sessions for those 3 to combine together in tbe 10/12 axis...

I’d think of it the opposite way. Give the other lads as much game time as possible so that they’re ready to go.

• Advertisement

I’d think of it the opposite way. Give the other lads as much game time as possible so that they’re ready to go.

Won't happen for Daly anyway. Not register-able

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement