Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smooth Jazz 4FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Hello
    The Irish jazz scene is doing very well at the moment with particular momentum in Dublin,Limerick and Sligo.
    The annual jazz festivals in Cork,Bray,Derry and Galway give additional support to the local scene as part of their varied programming.

Smooth Jazz on 4FM Mondays from 9.00pm will shine a light on the Irish artist based scene on the 7th.December 2009 edition.

Those tuning in will hear music from,among others,Reverse Trust,Freddie White,Yurodny,Kevin Brady Trio with American pianist Bill Carruthers,Fuzzy Logic Ensemble and the late Professor Peter O'Brien.

Smooth Jazz also available on listen again option via www.4fm.ie

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Presenter / Producer Smooth Jazz 4FM

Smooth Jazz celebrates its first Christmas on air with a holiday special on Monday 21st.December after the 9.00pm news update.

Jazz freshens up the Christmas music fare and I will have music from Bill Evans,Jimmy Smith,Ramsey Lewis Trio,Joe Williams and Kenny Burrell plus others.

Further suggestions are welcome by email sean@4fm.ie

Happy Christmas all!

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz 4FM Mondays from 9.00pm
    www.4fm.ie incl.listen back option.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Excellent station :)

Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year To All

On Smooth Jazz at 4FM next Monday 28th.December I hope to have great jazz from the following:

Artie Shaw (fifth anniversary of his death at age 94) with Jingle Bells.

There is also space for Steely Dan (by special request),Sean Hession with Louis Stewart,John Coltrane,Oscar Peterson,Chicago based Nick Colionne,and Bela Fleck plus others.

Regards

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz 4FM
    Mondays after the 9.00pm news update.

Happy New Year to you all.

On Smooth Jazz tonight I hope to include material from the following:

Earth,Wind & Fire (Got To Get You Into My Life)

Nat King Cole,Youssou N'Dour,Irish band Zrazy,Lightning Slim and a few delights to warm you up in these cold times.

Smooth Jazz 4FM after the 9.00pm news update.

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Presenter/Producer Smooth Jazz
    www.4fm.ie

• Advertisement

Hi All
    Wondering what I should play on next week's show.
    My thoughts so far suggest some Australian jazz in the form of the Sandy Evans Trio with Sandy herself on sax.

Herbie Hancock recorded with Lisa Hennigan and Damien Rice.Would you like a sample?

Some warmth is surely needed in the form of latin jazz from Clark Terry and Chico O'Farrill.

An Irish artist is always welcome so Fintan O'Neill's Reverse Trust should fit the bill.

Shirley Bassey has a new CD The Performance but I would like a retro track this time.How about Kiss Me,Honey,Honey,Kiss Me.

Any further thoughts?

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz Mondays 4FM after 9.00o'clock news update.

Hello Smoothies
    A lot of suggestions banded together for inclusion in Smooth Jazz Monday 18th.January 2010.

Let us forget about the unkind weather and listen up for the following:

Bobby Darin,Buddy Greco,Barb Jung (a great version of an earlier Dylan classic),Herbie Hancock,Gerry Mulligan and Horace Silver.

Other suggestions always welcome at : sean@4fm.ie

Regards

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz
    www.4fm.ie

Hello All
    Hope you are well!

Music Network are about to tour (from 16th.February 2010) the Mercury nominated Portico Quartet.I will play a track from their new CD Isla on the show with further information on the tour.Expect a ticket giveaway in a couple of weeks also.

There will also be music from Keith Jarrett,Count Basie,Barry White,Jamie Cullum and,time permitting,Stan Getz and Benny More.

Hope you can join me.

Smooth Jazz Mondays on 4FM after 9.00 pm news.

Regards

Sean Brophy
    Presenter / Producer
    sean@4fm.ie

www.4fm.ie

Hello
    Spring it here at last so we will put a bit of pep in your step tomorrow evening on Smooth Jazz.

Some interesting material as always with the welcome mat in place from 9.04 PM on 4FM

Hope you can make it!

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz
    4FM

www.4fm.ie

sean@4fm.ie

Hello
    On next Monday I have a set of tickets for the first date on the upcoming Portico Quartet Irish tour scheduled for The Coach House beside Dublin Castle off Dame St.Dublin 2.A track from their new CD Isla also.

Other music from Bill Evans,Tito Paris and from the Irish jazz scene Mia Parsons with Nigel Mooney's Quartet,Creamy Goodness,Francesco Turrissi and Sean Hession & Louis Stewart.

Regards

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz on 4FM Mondays after 9.00pm news.

• Advertisement

Hello
    Next Monday we will be literally taking the Love Biscuit so that you can further extend your romantic weekend.Love is the theme and artists such as King Pleasure & The Biscuit Boys,Curtis Stigers,Coleman Hawkins,Cormac Kenevey,Cannonball Adderley and Dexter Gordon will conjure up the required mood.

As an additional bonus I will also have a set of tickets for the Portico Quartet Galway concert as part of their Irish tour starting in Dublin on 16th.February 2010. See www.musicnetwork.ie for full tour details and booking information.

Hope you can make this special date.

Best

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz
    4FM Mondays from 9.04pm

Hi All
    Rounder Records are 40 years old.In celebration tracks from Johnny Adams,Ruth Brown & Clarence Gatemouth Brown.

Young trumpet player Christian Scott has a new CD just released as has Al Jarreau - tracks from both.

Tammy Weis is an accomplished Canadian jazz singer whose new album is about to be launched at Ronnie Scott's in London - a PREVIEW ON SMOOTH JAZZ.

SMOOTH JAZZ EVERY MONDAY ON 4FM AFTER 9.00PM NEWS.

www.4fm.ie

Contact show by email sean@4fm.ie or text 53544 while on air.

HAVE A GOOD WEEK.

Hello
    Its birthday time for Smooth Jazz on Monday 1st.March 2010 at 4FM.
    Al Jarreau was included in the inaugural show so it is apt that a greatest hits collection from him (just released) will be given away to a listener during the programme.Thanks to ACT Records.

Heinz Sauer (sax) and Micheal Woolner (piano) appear at the NCH on Wednesday 3rd.March (www.note.ie for details) and I will play their version of the Prince tune Nothing Compares 2 U

Louis Stewart will be in the mix plus a few other great tracks and the weekly gig guide.

Hope you can also make it.

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz Mondays 9.00pm
    4FM

Hello
    As Smooth Jazz enters its 2nd.year on air I have decided on a double shot of all the artists appearing on Monday 8th.March after the 9.00pm news.

Melody Gardot is the familiar name and appears by request with two tracks from My One & Only Thrill.

You will also hear from Swedish jazz stars Christina Gustafsson and a group called Mynta.

From Boston I premiere for Irish listeners jazz violinist Ben Powell.Ben is a 22 year old talent influenced by the likes of the great Stephan Grappelli.

David Rees - Williams Trio appeared at Christchurch Cathedral in Dublin last year with their blend of jazz - classical.Two tracks from Hidden Colours.

Given that two in the theme I hope that you can make it too.

Smooth Jazz 4FM Mondays after 9.00pm news and available on listen again via presenter page on www.4fm.ie

Cheers

Sean

Hello
    Great music,as per usual,on Monday with contributions from James Taylor Quartet (London),Creamy Goodness,Kenny Barron and The Portico Quartet.

Dan Berglund and his band Tonbruket play Dublin's Button Factory on Saturday 20th.March (full details www.improvisedmusic.ie) and I,courtesy of IMC,will have three sets of tickets to give away during the live broadcast from 9.00 to 10.00pm Monday 15th.March at 4FM.

Lookling forward to your company,text to 53544 and emails to sean@4fm.ie

See you then

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz 4FM
    Mondays after 9.00pm news.

Hello Again
    Hope you had a great St.Patrick Celebration and that this included some Smooth Jazz.

On Smooth Jazz Monday 22nd.March I will introduce Linda Presgrave to Irish audiences.She is a Missouri born New York based jazz pianist/composerr and I met her recently in the audience at JJ Smyths in Dublin.She was very impressed with Irish hospitality on her first Irish trip and would love to play here in the future.I will feature a thoughful track from her trio album on the show and hopefully stir some promoter into action.

Ella Fitzgerald and Honor Heffernan are noted for their sensitive interpretations of the great American songbook so it is nice to see that a singer has now emerged to do the same for it's modern equivalent.Babr Jungr is that lady - listen in for her unique look at the Neil Diamond composition I'm A Believer which was a hit for The Monkees.Her album is on the Naim Label.

Others to grace the company on Monday include Nina Simone,The Modern Jazz Quartet & The Mar-Keys.

I also have the inaugural album from Cork band Crossbones so expect a track from it also.

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz 4FM Mondays after 9.00pm news & sport.
    www.4fm.ie and email sean@4fm.ie with queries,requests etc.

Hello
    Hope you had a great week.
    Tomorrow night on 4FM Smooth Jazz some great music,as always,for lovers of the jazz genre.Why not join me after the 9.00pm news on 4FM or via the listen again option from Tuesday PM via the presenter page on www.4fm.ie

Artists included are Nick Colionne (His New Single),Steely Dan (By Request),St.Germain with a track from their disc Tourist.

Some information on the live scene with further treats from Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie plus Mark Elf and others time permitting.

Easter Monday follows the following week and I am currently checking out the Blue Note collection as this show will be exclusively Blue Note. You may hear from Don Byron,Jimmy Smith,Bobby McFerrin,Horace Silver plus others that you will be suggesting in the days ahead.

[EMAIL="sean@4fm"]sean@4fm[/EMAIL] or text 53544 while on air.

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz Mondays 9.00pm 4FM www.4fm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Great stuff there ! :)

As for the Blue Note show, perhaps you could give some lesser known names an airing. For example Rick Margitza. He has a beautiful album on the Blue Note label called "Hope".

Here's "hoping" to hear a track from it on the night. ;)

Thanks for the post Rigsby.Unable to source a copy of the album you suggested but currently seeking another non Blue Note CD on which Rick appears.Hope to include soon.

The expected play list for Easter Monday is now available on www.4fm.ie on the presenter page.

Happy Easter all!

Sean

DON'T FORGET THAT THE PLAY LIST FOR MONDAY 12TH.APRIL SHOW IS NOW AVAILABLE VIA THE PRESENTER PAGE AT WWW.4FM.IE YOU CAN ALSO USE THE LISTEN AGAIN BUTTON SHOULD YOU HAVE MISSED THE LIVE SHOW OR WISH A REPRISE LISTEN.

CHEERS

SEAN
    SMOOTH JAZZ MONDAYS 9.00PM 4FM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Listening back now, thanks. :)

Hi
    We recently lost the great jazz drummer ED Thigpen plus jazz guitarist extrodinaire Herb Ellis. Both men had a significent association with the late Oscar Peterson so that will be reflected on the show later on.

The Bray Jazz Festival takes place from 30th.April in the Co.Wicklow town and Sweet Chorus are among those performing (see www.brayjazz.com)
    A track from their album Small Hotel.

Music also from Cork based Crossbones & The Roaring Forties with the entire play list plus listen again option in place Tuesday 20th.April.

Regards

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz 4FM Mondays 9.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Really enjoy this show..well to be honest pretty much all the 4fm's shows really! Regrettably missed the Portico Quartet in Galway recently, hopefully they'll be back.
    Will be listening to playback in a bit.

Hello
    Maurice Johnson is a smooth jazz guitar sensation with a new release entitled TONIGHT. I will include two tracks from the CD on show tonight Monday 26th.April 2010.

The further ingredients in our weekly musical sandwich include Segio Mendes & Brasil '66 , Perez Prado , Wes Montgomery and Chet Baker.

Hope you can join me live at 9.00pm or on listen back via the presenter page at www.4fm.ie during the week.

Two jazz festivals take place from 30th.April at Bray Co.Wicklow and Ballydehob,Co. Cork. Some info re both.

Smooth Jazz will be on air as usual on the bank holiday 3rd.May with a special , following many requests, on the Verve label.

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz 4FM Mondays 9.00pm

Hello
    The long weekend is almost here.Hurray!
    I assume that many of you will sample either the Bray Co.Wicklow Jazz Festival ( www.brayjazz.com ) or the Ballydehob Jazz Festival ( www.ballydehobjazzfestival.org ).

Naturally I hope that you will consider winding down your weekend in my company on Monday night when, at last and following many requests, I will be doing a special on Verve Records.

If you can't make it live the show will be available to hear again via the listen again option underneath play lists on the presenter page.

Have an enjoyable and safe weekend.

Sean Brophy

www.4fm.ie

Hello
    Smooth Jazz on Monday 10th.May 2010 will feature new releases.
    Expect tracks from Dee Dee Bridgewater & Cork sensation Crossbones.
    The usual gig guide will be included plus many other great tracks from current releases.

Cheers

Sean Brophy

Hello
    Smooth Jazz on Monday 17th.May at 9.00pm on 4FM will feature tunes from Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd, Nina Simone, Phil Ware Trio, Diane Krall, Ray Baretto and Ray Charles.

Hope you can join me live or if on via listen again at www.4fm.ie

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Producer / Presenter Smooth Jazz 4FM Mondays 9.00pm

Hello
    Hope you are enjoying the sun if Ireland or the UK is where you reside.

Plenty of sunny tunes on Smooth Jazz on Monday 24th.May after 9.00pm news.

By request you will hear from The Bill Charlap Trio with also a mini tribute to the recently deceased Lena Horne.

Ken Colyer,Barb Junger (a great favourite on the show judging by your reaction on previous plays), Earl Klugh and Irma Thomas.

Keep the requests and messages coming as it's always a pleasure to hear from you. Email sean@4fm.ie

Cheers
    Sean Brophy
    Presenter / Producer Smooth Jazz 4FM Mondays after 9.00pm news on 4FM

www.4fm.ie

Looking for ideas in respect of an intended all Irish Jazz Selection on the Irish June Bank holiday weekend.

If you feel that an Irish act or individual has been particularly neglected please email details and I will attempt to rectify the situation in this Irish special.

Should there be an Irish jazz favourite that brings back particular memories I would like to hear your story and of course include the particular track.

Email : sean@4fm.ie

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz Irish Jazz Artist Special on Monday 7th.June 2010 after 9.00pm news on 4FM

www.4fm.ie

• Advertisement

Looking for ideas in respect of an intended all Irish Jazz Selection on the Irish June Bank holiday weekend.

If you feel that an Irish act or individual has been particularly neglected please email details and I will attempt to rectify the situation in this Irish special.

Should there be an Irish jazz favourite that brings back particular memories I would like to hear your story and of course include the particular track.

Email : sean@4fm.ie

Cheers

Sean Brophy
    Smooth Jazz Irish Jazz Artist Special on Monday 7th.June 2010 after 9.00pm news on 4FM

www.4fm.ie

Confirmation that the all Irish selection will feature on Bank Holiday Monday 7th.June 2010 on 4FM after 9.00pm news. Many thanks for the suggestions and enjoy the long weekend.

Sean

Advertisement