Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take it handy lads...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

carfinder wrote: »
    Apologies I haven't visited for a few days I've been busy reading that RSA report. Its very thorough and scientific and runs counter to the whataboutery and blame dodging narrative that some seem to be clinging to. Did you read it?

You may have some valid points, but they’re lost in the general sneering tone of your posts. You are coming across as gloating about people being killed.

I’m not a mod but you’d probably get a lot more traction and engagement if you weren’t coming across as gleefully cheering the death of any biker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Apologies I haven't visited for a few days I've been busy reading that RSA report. Its very thorough and scientific and runs counter to the whataboutery and blame dodging narrative that some seem to be clinging to. Did you read it?

I have read it. It seems incomplete in it's analysis . for instance it breaks down deaths and accidents by age of rider but doesn't relate that to the general age profile of all riders so it is impossible to determine if a certain age has a higher or lower profile in accidents. the report is full of this type of omission.

It looks to me like someone who has discovered excel for the first time and is impressed at how easy it is to calculate percentages.

That is not to take from the wider point that motorcyclist need to be much more vigilant on the road and allow for the all the car drivers out to kill them, And that often means moderating speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

On a slightly different note - I came across a group of cyclists today - 4-abreast the other side of a blind bend... Christ almighty... if I was a car it would have been one tangled mess I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Had a chap today frantically waving a slow down arm as he was stopped to make a right turn into a garden. A quick look at the speedo showed me at 60 in an 80 zone.
    There's a lot of assumptions about. He assumed I was 'flying it'
    I assumed he was a fcuking moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭carfinder

rock22 wrote: »
    I have read it. It seems incomplete in it's analysis . for instance it breaks down deaths and accidents by age of rider but doesn't relate that to the general age profile of all riders so it is impossible to determine if a certain age has a higher or lower profile in accidents. the report is full of this type of omission.

It looks to me like someone who has discovered excel for the first time and is impressed at how easy it is to calculate percentages.

That is not to take from the wider point that motorcyclist need to be much more vigilant on the road and allow for the all the car drivers out to kill them, And that often means moderating speed.

Maybe the RSA should change tack and advise all the homicidal car drivers to stop trying to kill bikers given that in 86% of fatalities, the biker themselves was culpable/part culpable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Had a chap today frantically waving a slow down arm as he was stopped to make a right turn into a garden. A quick look at the speedo showed me at 60 in an 80 zone.
    There's a lot of assumptions about. He assumed I was 'flying it'
    I assumed he was a fcuking moron.

Yeah there's a lot of morons around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

GBX wrote: »
    Yeah there's a lot of morons around the place.

The worst are the ones who don't even realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

those "you were flying it" crowd are the same for everything not even just bikes. Can also be seen beeping and flashing anyone who overtakes them on a perfectly straight N road. As anyone going over the 60km/h that their shaking shit heap vehicle is doing must also be experiencing the same near death experience every time they attempt to do the speed limit...

The worst are the ones who don't even realise it.

Especially when they are projecting, and don't even realise it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Sad to see.

The story is predictably accompanied by the usual gutter kneejerk rush to judgement.

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Hadn't seen that - more bad news. The common denominator with all these fatalities is the forensic collision investigation which gets to the truth of the collision in a scientific way and will be added to the statistics. According to RSA Saturday and Sunday are, statistically, the most dangerous days on the road for bikers. Regardless of culpability, I suspect speed will be a contributing factor - both fatalities occurred on regional roads with, I suspect, 80kph posted limits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hadn't seen that - more bad news. The common denominator with all these fatalities is the forensic collision investigation which gets to the truth of the collision in a scientific way and will be added to the statistics. According to RSA Saturday and Sunday are, statistically, the most dangerous days on the road for bikers. Regardless of culpability, I suspect speed will be a contributing factor - both fatalities occurred on regional roads with, I suspect, 80kph posted limits

You suspect speed will be a contributing factor ? Naturally. Everything is moving at some speed slow or otherwise .. regardless, 2 people died. Rip to those and condolences to their families.
    Again coming in posting about the RSA and speed when bikers died. Switch off for a bit please? These lads are not dead 24 hours but you are straight in which is only showing one thing and thats your agenda to prove bikers speeding is the fault. I can't prove it wasn't but you certainly can't prove it was the reason. Until you know different give it a rest. Let their families grieve and bury them before you spout on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I can guarantee you speed was not a factor in the collision in cavan.

I was on the scene. I'll leave it at that.:rolleyes:

Regardless of culpability, speed will be a contributing factor...

So you don't think someone traveling at the legal limit of 80km/h could be killed by somebody else's poor driving?

Leave it out, mate. If a car travelling at 100km/h hits a bike head on, that's gonna cause havoc regardless of bike speed. A biker could hit loose chippings or an oil spill or a deep pothole and lose control, while traveling at a legally acceptable speed. I've been travelling at literally 0km/h and knocked off my bike into rush hour traffic, could have been fatal.

Your apparent agenda and the way you communicate on here is genuinely sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

What is your reason for posting here? What is it you intend to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

di11on wrote: »
    On a slightly different note - I came across a group of cyclists today - 4-abreast the other side of a blind bend... Christ almighty... if I was a car it would have been one tangled mess I can tell you.

That's the thing about blind bends. They're blind. There could be anything around any blind bend- slow cyclists or tractor, bunch of walkers, animal or two, crashed car. That's why anyone going through any blind bend needs to be able to stop.

Awful to hear of two more deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭blade1

That's the thing about blind bends. They're blind. There could be anything around any blind bend- slow cyclists or tractor, bunch of walkers, animal or two, crashed car. That's why anyone going through any blind bend needs to be able to stop.

Awful to hear of two more deaths.

I'd say an alarm goes off in your house if the word cyclist is mentioned anywhere in the world. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I can guarantee you speed was not a factor in the collision in cavan.

I was on the scene. I'll leave it at that.:rolleyes:

And same there are clear pictures from Spiddal - bike into side of a car which appears to have been emerging and turning to travel in the opposite direction... definitely doesn't sound like anyone can give blame to the bike from the info available.

RIP to all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

blade1 wrote: »
    I'd say an alarm goes off in your house if the word cyclist is mentioned anywhere in the world. :pac:

It's not really a cyclist issue though.

Checkpoint on the Wicklow Gap earlier on. Every biker was made dismount and was given a safety briefing by the Gardai. They were saying that some of the accidents were NOT down to speed, but appealing to all to make sure to ride within your limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Checkpoint on the Wicklow Gap earlier on. Every biker was made dismount and was given a safety briefing by the Gardai. They were saying that some of the accidents were NOT down to speed, but appealing to all to make sure to ride within your limits.

We’re they at least motorcycle cops that were doing the lecturing?

ratracer wrote: »
    We’re they at least motorcycle cops that were doing the lecturing?

Yep, 4 of them up there. And i didn’t take it as lecturing, just asking lads and lassies to be careful and stay within their limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah I was in the garage in Hollywood at 9:30 talking to some old geezer he was saying that there is one particular copper sitting up there in a jeep doing everyone with on the spot fines. No sooner had he said it the big jeep went past and up towards Larragh.....so I said no way Im going up.

Turns out it was the cops giving the talk about safety etc. Fair play to be honest but Its falling on deaf ears most of the time.

Got there early to avoid the 12,000 RPM crew and just take in the scenery. Headed on down to Carlow via Baltinglass.

Grand spin all in all, good to get out early.

Hopefully that lunatic from a few years ago who was trying to run bikers off the road up there is long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I must say I would find that insulting after paying €500 for IBT training to be lectured while cyclists and motorists drive on unimpeded
    I think this is a dangerous precedent that motorcyclists would be singled out and prevented from going about their lawful business

I paid my road tax IBT and insurance and would not be at all impressed by someone stopping me and telling me to get off my bike to listen to some lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Next week they're going after scaffolders and it's a good talking on the virtues of stop end toe boards. Then brickies with their pesky 10 mil joints.
    Best just avoid the gap on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I must say I would find that insulting after paying €500 for IBT training to be lectured while cyclists and motorists drive on unimpeded
    I think this is a dangerous precedent that motorcyclists would be singled out and prevented from going about their lawful business

I paid my road tax IBT and insurance and would not be at all impressed by someone stopping me and telling me to get off my bike to listen to some lecture

To me it would depend on my mood and how they went about it.

While I try not to ride when pissed off if I was and they stopped me and told me to dismount without a lawful reason and were dickish about it, then yea I'd start being a smart ass.
    If it was a case of they were being genuine and making a genuine effort to try curtail the amount of accidents especially after 11 riders being in accidents over the space of a week or so then I'd probably take it better.

Depends on the day and the person but I wouldn't have a go at a well meaning cop trying to get a message across especially if there's a genuine sentiment behind it.

If I'm not mistaken that place is somewhat known for accidents too.

Don't forget also some cops ride in their spare time but wouldn't want to be part of the rpu.

• Advertisement

Mjolnir wrote: »
    To me it would depend on my mood and how they went about it.

While I try not to ride when pissed off if I was and they stopped me and told me to dismount without a lawful reason and were dickish about it, then yea I'd start being a smart ass.
    If it was a case of they were being genuine and making a genuine effort to try curtail the amount of accidents especially after 11 riders being in accidents over the space of a week or so then I'd probably take it better.

Depends on the day and the person but I wouldn't have a go at a well meaning cop trying to get a message across especially if there's a genuine sentiment behind it.

If I'm not mistaken that place is somewhat known for accidents too.

Don't forget also some cops ride in their spare time but wouldn't want to be part of the rpu.

I’m the first to admit that on occasion I’ve been naive/trying to see the good in people, but the sergeant who was chatting to us wasn’t being a dick. There was no “where are yiz off to lads?”, no pretence that it was a COVID checkpoint.

He had the ages of the riders and engine sizes of the bikes involved in the fatal accidents and he wasn’t lecturing us, he was speaking with us rather than to us. He mentioned that he’s seen lads flying along that road and being in full control of themselves and their bikes, and also seen lads driving at half the speed but being right on their limits.

Look, I’m only driving bikes since last July/August and only have the full licence a wet weekend, but what the sergeant was saying made some sense to me. He was saying that sometimes folks riding in groups can result in someone pushing their limits and to me, that makes sense.

I know if I went out with some of you lads I’d be at the back of a group and holding lads up. And that’s not just cos of my deauville!! It’s cos of my lack of experience so I’ll drive at a pace and rate that I’m comfortable with. That might be too slow for some, but also too fast for others.

To me, it was a genuine sentiment and a genuine attempt to make sure we all go home each night we take the bike out

Advertisement