Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take it handy lads...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and is positive to see. If it was the Biker RPU units then you can be certain they are far more skilled and experienced than the majority of bikers on the roads. Experienced bikers are always worth listening to - even more so if they are biker guards imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I’m the first to admit that on occasion I’ve been naive/trying to see the good in people, but the sergeant who was chatting to us wasn’t being a dick. There was no “where are yiz off to lads?”, no pretence that it was a COVID checkpoint.

He had the ages of the riders and engine sizes of the bikes involved in the fatal accidents and he wasn’t lecturing us, he was speaking with us rather than to us. He mentioned that he’s seen lads flying along that road and being in full control of themselves and their bikes, and also seen lads driving at half the speed but being right on their limits.

Look, I’m only driving bikes since last July/August and only have the full licence a wet weekend, but what the sergeant was saying made some sense to me. He was saying that sometimes folks riding in groups can result in someone pushing their limits and to me, that makes sense.

I know if I went out with some of you lads I’d be at the back of a group and holding lads up. And that’s not just cos of my deauville!! It’s cos of my lack of experience so I’ll drive at a pace and rate that I’m comfortable with. That might be too slow for some, but also too fast for others.

To me, it was a genuine sentiment and a genuine attempt to make sure we all go home each night we take the bike out

I usually avoid group rides because pack mentality sets in a bit too easy and I don't want points on my licence, too easy to forget yourself let rip and then boom fine and points ha.

Ah all my interactions with guards are grand and unless you're acting the dick most talk to rather than lecture. Fair play to them not coming across at all condescending though in that scenario it can be difficult.

You're dead on mate ride to your comfort, very easy blindly follow someone's lead into danger. Many forget some lads aren't as confident, comfortable or skilled as they are never mind may not know the roads and be apprehensive.

Ride to your own limits I've laughed at a mate claiming to do 120km/h on a 100km/h road, my clock read miles and I can confidently tell you they were at well over 100mph.
    I just gave up let off the throttle said I'd catch up to them at some stage, that mate had about 40x the milage under their belt as I had.
    As long as you're happy, enjoying it and get home OK who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Group riding can be brilliant with the right people, I prefer riding with others. When the old boards group used to meet regularly years ago, safety was no 1, but it was great fun and as fast or as slow as your mood or experience, the group always waited for the last rider at the next junction, no one was ever pressured to ride beyond their limits or to keep up. In fact, I learned so much with that group, it was a fantastic way to start my first years on the bike and I do miss those spins.

I'm glad to know the guards were out talking to riders, there's a trend beginning to show recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nasty accident up there recently...innocent car driver was killed when his car was hit by a ballistic CBR ....i believe he was in a group of hot heads...Maybe patrolling guards is the future......as i started this thread take it handy lads...;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement