Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The seat is basic but the reason it was chosen by IAG are very apparent, it’s the lightest in its class and IAG ordered around 9k units from Recaro years ago for the majority of their Airbus narrow body fleet. Aer Lingus was never going to be exception.

Personally I don’t find it too bad, it’s obviously a massive downgrade on the previous seat but very few airlines were flying seats like those around Europe anymore. Basic, light weight, slimline seats are here to stay unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

New seats are only half the issue, pitch on the new A320s is the other half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

there's a bunch of people on here who insist EI is its own business but as soon as you complain they blame the spanish parents .

Whatever FR are using is miles better if we want to compare ironing boards. different planets on a new FR max8 seating and a new EI NEO 320 (also better pitch on FR IMO )

The truth is, as often, somewhere in the middle. Aer Lingus can make many of its own decisions of course but when it comes to large investments such as fleet and cabins, IAG call almost all the shots.

Note how IAG is described as ordering those seats, not the individual airlines. Same things goes for fleet, it’s always initially listed as an IAG order which is then later distributed to group airlines, usually via a cancellation and reorder as and when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was booking flights to London Heathrow for st Patrick’s weekend. BA I could fly same time as ei for €100 return and with a checked bag or around €70 without one. Ei not even in the ballpark for any flight. Do people not bother checking ba for flights and just brand loyalty for Heathrow?

I think BA also allow you to bring a 23kg checked where as EI allow you to check a 10kg or pay a tenner to carry it onboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

Agree with the first part. And "it's OK because everyone else uses the same seats now" really isn't a compelling argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

I completely disagree. The new Ryanair seats are awful, they're by far the worse seat of any airline I've been on. I'm about 180 cm and can't put my head back at all without hitting the hard plastic top of the seat. The old Ryanair seats are fine.

The new EI seats are definitely a significant dowgrade but they're still a lot better than the Ryanair ones.

I quite like the seats that SAS use. They're slim but are still fairly comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's LCC seats though and not getting LCC prices. If Aer Lingus are going to lower their standards to Ryanair, EasyJet, Vueling etc they're going to suffer when price is often treble those. Even then, id say the usual Ryanair or Vueling seat is a lot better than this new Aer Lingus one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

And thats your right on an Internet forum . I'm 188 tall and FR new seating was perfect for me even down to Gran Canaria a good long run . EI even on LHR-DUB was an exercise in crap seats and an aching back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

That extra height probably makes a difference. A seat design which is extremely uncomfortable for average height males is a bad design.

I don't think I could manage the Ryanair seats for more than two hours. The old seats are perfectly fine but there's no way of knowing which seats you'll get.

Other plane on the way back, thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭supereurope

Same experience as me then. Out on a NEO, then sheer joy at returning in an older plane. Unfortunately, the plan is that ORK-LHR will be only operated by NEOs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Maybe this is all a cunning plan to reduce the amount we fly, and thus emissions 😀

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Ryanair actually becomes more enticing then though. Would depend on their flight times of course but that Neo is horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭x567

Not sure I’d go that far! Booking the 321LR rotations to/from LHR and elsewhere is becoming more and more attractive though….

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭supereurope

But the A321LRs aren't going to operated in and out of ORK are they? If Dublin was my nearest airport, I'd be sorted with BA to LHR or LCY, or the EI A321LRs to LHR. In Cork, it's only EI A320NEOs to LHR or FR to STN, with limited FR services to LGW and LTN as well.

• My biggest gripe with aer lingus continues to be the remote terminal. Fair enough when terminal 2 is full and busy but there is nothing worse than sitting on the plane after landing late at night heading towards T2 when all you want to do is get home and the plane takes the turn towards the remote terminal even though there are no planes at t2. With that turn you can add an unpleasant 15mins to the journey because of the bus, between loading, the stairs and the ridiculous journey it takes around the t2 building. They won’t even open the rear doors to speed things up.

cost saving trumps customer experience for Aer Lingus every time. They should return to the deboarding at t2 and then pushing the plane to the remote terminal but because they are probably saving €20 on the bus option being cheaper they pick this.

And thats before you talk about Aer Lingus regional parking over beside airside!

All these little things add up to the point that Aer Lingus is no longer the smarter choice.

I’ll probably get pulled up again and told that remote parking is the norm in other airports, but that doesn’t matter here, Aer Lingus’s competition don’t do it so it’s a major disadvantageous to travel aer Lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭x567

Fair point. I had my Shannon-tinted glasses on…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I suppose the question is whether this deters people from booking EI and whether it's costing them business or revenue. I've rarely heard anyone complain in the moment and I suspect that most passengers don't think at all about the issues that preoccupy a couple of dozen regular posters here and elsewhere.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• It’s called brand erosion, a single issue won’t necessarily drive a customer away but keep lowering the quality of your product across the board (when your competitors aren’t), then a customer will think twice about their automatic custom, Aer Lingus have enough competitors across the board from ultra low cost (where their service is aligning to) to good service providers (to where their prices remain aligned to).

And to your snappy “preoccupy” comment, you could post your exact reply to 99% of the comments across this sub forum, should we shut it down? Not the first time you have taken this unnecessary tone to a poster on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I think for your average bucket and spade folks taking a few flights a year, it is fine to use the South gates. And in my experience they tend to keep the important business flights off the main pier in T2 and shove the others elsewhere. I too hate the south gates. I used them going to Nantes for the rugby earlier this year and was fine with it on that occasion. A walkway would be far more amenable than the bus.

I don't mind the Regional's having the bus around to the hangers. Because when they push, they are on 28R in a couple of minutes and seem to have the boarding process much improved. It's quite a long taxi from T2 to 28R!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

No intention on my part to "get at" anyone here. I count myself amongst the regular posters here and was only noting that we are a small group with a very focused area of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The new FCO schedule from 24 May-26 October

Ex DUB 06:20, 10:25, 15:40

Ex FCO 07:30. 11:10, 15:10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I see Heraklion seems to stop at the end of September. Surprised it didn't stretch to October given the heat stays in Crete longer. Ryanair keep the Chania route flying through Oct 25th

• Advertisement

A lot more talk of this the past few days. The first XLR MSN 11348 is on the final assembly line which is supposedly an EI frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭pureza

Any update on EI rejoining oneworld properly, they're already part of the transatlantic JV with BA and AA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I assume they selected the ACF config for the XLR?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭sailing

I’m led to believe Aer Lingus will be the launch customer for the XLR in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jwm121

Luckily the south gates are being removed with the infrastructure expansion... except there will be a new pre boarding zone even further, on the far side almost under the approach for 28L for a load of new remote stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I've heard there's a lower seat count with a mid galley and lavs on the XLR .

Edit: if you think about it from a flexibility point of view, some or all of the LRs can have the ACTs removed if necessary and be re-configured in short haul config once the XLRs arrive, that might have been the reasoning for not fitting them with the mid galleys and lavs in the first place.

Post edited by HTCOne on

I wonder will it have the black mask around the cockpit windows to distinguish it from the LRs. It would go well with the EI livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yeah Ryanair far better, far too much messing around with aer lingus from Dublin

IAG had a graphic on their markets day presentation last month which stated the A321XLR will have 7 less seat than the 757, this would be considerably lower than the current A321LR configuration. 184 vs 170.

I’d be surprised they actually reduced the seat count by that much on the XLR, the current layout is incredibly competitive and must put them as one of the most efficient LR operators out there. I know it’s unpopular with crew and a dense economy class isn’t ideal for passenger comfort or service delivery but we all know Aer Lingus isn’t the type of airline to listen to passenger or crew feedback!

The IAG graphic;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The lower the seat count, the further you can send them in fairness. Depends on what routes they have in mind...keep a few high density LRs for SNN-BOS/JFK, DUB-BDL....use the XLRs on the other current LR routes and MSP....reconfigure 3 or 4 LRs to short haul and have them make € on high density short haul routes like the A321 CEOs used to (ACE, FCO etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

how were aer lingus not run out of manchester, the way ryanair would run out new entrants to dublin? other airlines not being as brutal as ryanair I imagine?

The only airlines capable at present are Virgin Atlantic and TUI so not exactly the same level of threat that Ryanair would pose on short haul. Virgin are very London centric and their inconsistent financial performance forces them to be more cautious in their approach to going head to head with rivals, they're also now heavily influenced by Delta. TUI are focused on the package holiday market and wouldn't see Aer Lingus as any kind of threat to their business model.

New entrants like JetBlue and Norse would be bigger threats to Aer Lingus at Manchester in the near term than any of the incumbents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Left soon after, the pics look worse than it was!

• Advertisement

What aircraft is aer lingus currently flying on the dublin to new York route ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

For christmas, 2x A330 rotations to JFK (EI105/4 and EI107/6) plus one A321LR rotation (EI109/8)

Also an A321LR daily to EWR.

Two A330-300s and a temporary 3rd flight with an LR over the Christmas to JFK.

The A332 has done the odd flight as well lately.

EAV, LRH and FNG are today's frames to JFK.

https://x.com/rschuur_aero/status/1738193275129840090?s=20

First customer XLR on the final assembly line and likely to be EI's.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jwm121

Is Manchester doing well for them though? I heard they'll be looking there for future expansion if the DAA can't sort out Dublin. Is that just a Ryanair style ploy to try get the DAA to do something or will that actually happen? Would hate for Dublin to loose out over Manchester and Edinburgh more than they already are due to the cap.

that simplyflying article mentioned that the XLR will likely replace the a330 on the dever and minneapolis route, when they become available. Is that likely to be true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭FR738

Minneapolis Yes but not Denver. Simpleflying can’t be trusted for anything, mistakes in every article.

was just thining woud they go daily with the xlr, rather than four times a week with the 330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

It basically just copies and pastes from other news sites and Wikipedia, mistakes and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not a chance for Denver, it’ll require a crew rest for that! Think MSP has already been confirmed tho.

Advertisement