Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

DA will do the same job as a rotary, but it will take longer, but less risk involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Thanks Curran

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Curran wrote: »
    DA will do the same job as a rotary, but it will take longer, but less risk involved.

Different pad/polish combos can help as well.

But I can verify that a DA is well capable of VAG paint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

I must tint out a few windows in the jeep and wondering what is the best thing to add to water to use in the spray bottle? thanks.

Flood wrote: »
    I must tint out a few windows in the jeep and wondering what is the best thing to add to water to use in the spray bottle? thanks.

When I used to tint my windows many moons ago I use a drop of fairy liquid in the water sprayed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

IS it allowed to have a "drift" spoiler on your car and still pass the check-up?
    Are there rules how wide it can be, or what material?

is carbon allowed in Ireland? like carbon hood, carbon spoiler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Guys - is this ok for your paintwork ?

I am using one currently and AFAIK it hasn't done any damage!

2zdon43.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

bbari wrote:
    Guys - is this ok for your paintwork ? I am using one currently and AFAIK it hasn't done any damage!

I dear god hope so, it's them I've been using this past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I dear god hope so, it's them I've been using this past year.

Same here. I'll get a couple of sets if they're available on whatever day, just to have clean ones.

• Advertisement

Certainly better than a traditional sponge! With using the two bucket method, there probably wont be a whole lot of difference to an expensive mitt....have a good feel of it, check it for potential to scratching...quality wont be outstanding, but sure at that price, ye cant complain....grab a few of them; and sure if ye have to bin them after 7-8 washed, no massive loss! ;)
    Just my honest opinion! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I disagree. I think just go with a incredimitt. €20 or so, and you'll get more washes from it, and with little servicing compared to a 70's bush lambswool.

Those mitts in aldi are not great. I got them last summer as sher you can't go wrong, and they stiffened up quick.

If you like though, roll with them; one for upper half of car, one for lower. But all you are gonna get is the 6 or 7 washes. Aldi did have a soft synthetic fiber brush going there a few weeks ago, would be good cheap alternative for cleaning lug nuts and engine bays.

Can't find picture online... balls

For those who would like to get it, these will be available in Aldi on Thu the 5th Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

bbari wrote: »
    For those who would like to get it, these will be available in Aldi on Thu the 5th Feb.

Just when I paid a fiver for one today!! You can never have too many noodle mitts. One for everybody in the audience!!

Is it okay to use water with some detergent in it instead of clay lube when claying a car? I am sure I saw a guy doing this on a car on YouTube before.

Sometimes its OK...depends on the detergent and clay. Certain ones wont work together...the detergent can make the clay to degrade and become slightly mushy or soft. Test on a small piece first. If you leave the clat sitting in the mix for a few minutes and then test on then test on the paintwork. If you've clayed before you'll notice if it has degraded or not; if you've not clayed before you may not notice. It will continue to work as normal, but may marr the paintwork more easily.

• Advertisement

On clay.... isn't clay, just clay.

Why are there such expensive versions? Like 3m!
    I mean, is Bilt Hamber as good as these?

I prefer the approach of more passes, than trying to rush claying. Is that basically the advantage of these aggressive clays, that you get the job done quicker, and that you don't really worry about marring, as you'll be polishing anyway.

What about the guy who isn't machine polishing? Where is the clay and technique for this guy? That is principally the fear with claying, inflicting surface marring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I know of someone selling his D/A and a good bit of gear if anyone here is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I know of someone selling his D/A and a good bit of gear if anyone here is interested.

Pm sent

Pm sent

FYI, this has been sold.

What is the general consensus on CarPlan? I think one of their waxes was my first wax (it was a liquid one). I thought it was great, but that was over a year ago and before I had used any other waxes or learned to use a DA and such, so not sure if my opinion would be the same these days.

That said, this stuff - especially with 3 for 2, if it's of any kind of half decent quality at all - seems great value!?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring?partnumber=114730%2C703617%2C114755%2C114722%2C114714%2C114706%2C703690%2C703674%2C703641%2C703666%2C703633%2C114771%2C703658%2C703625&sort=price-low-to-high

• Advertisement

Will seem like good value, but in the long term it will be a bit of a false economy.

Waxes, trim dressings and that sort, wont be as durable, so you'll have to use regularly meaning you'll use lots and waste your time doing it.

Cleaners and that sort will require 2 or 3 applications versus a high quality product; false economy.

But getting that much, at that price, ye cant really lose out. I just prefer doing things right the first time and have it last a long time. Nothing worse that having to re-apply things like trim dressings after after wash.

What's the best wax you have Curran that would suit KKV's silver Focus?

The Wolf's range of waxes are very durable! Bilt Hamber Finis Wax looks good on greys, not sure on Silver.
    But as ever, prep is key!!

I think the old adage of 'buy cheap, buy twice' applies very well in a few scenarios, and car care is one of those.

I'd lean strongly towards what Curran is saying, but then with such things out there as dedicated clay lubes, and microfiber wash solutions... and Gtechniq C5*.... it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth that you are being taken for a pony ride. Scandalous margins on those products, it's just not on.

I don't believe you can have a sustainable business by trying to treat people like idiots.

But the principle is right, so I agree. Time is money and all that also :pac:

Just FYI, if you want Carplan type quality stuff, it's out there for cheaper, even with 3 for 2 offers taken into account.

*I'm joking about the C5 :pac: but I do wish it was cheaper!

Selling any kind of products, every range has their fair share of items that make large margins. Homewares shops make huge money on candles for example.
    Often there are products that are sold at a loss but that bring in follow up sales....take a coffee machine for example (not saying their sold at a loss) but revenue generated off the back of the sales of the capsules.

There are plenty of opportunities to make savings on detailing products. APC for example...any APC will be ideal for 80% of jobs, but for the other 20% having a specific detailing APC will be helpful. But its knowning when to use the run of the mill stuff and save your good stuff.

Unfortunately the resellers dont get any extra discount on the products that manufacturers are making tasty margins on! ;)

What's the best wax you have Curran that would suit KKV's silver Focus?

A good prep
    and slap a few coats of 845 on it.

Like a razor blade for paintwork. Anything that is proud of the paintwork can be levelled using it!

Why not wetsand?

Wet sanding affects a much larger area. That tool would remove defects the size of a pinhole, or not much bigger. Grains for dirt in a fresh paint job for example.

• Advertisement

Hole punch a bit of 3,000grit and glue to the rubber end of a pencil...

I hear you though, cool. Probably for the professional. Can't see myself making use of one at 60 sterling. Then again, no garage, and still have a DA rather than borrowed one :pac:

Any other non mainstream detailing tools? Just never seen that nibber before. Must read up on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

vectra wrote: »
    A good prep
    and slap a few coats of 845 on it.

This, I'm still getting beading from the collinite back in September. Unreal stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Yea, so the missus picked me up two decent heavy duty buckets today cos I was banging on about wanting to use the two bucket method :)

I'll keep her!!

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

This, I'm still getting beading from the collinite back in September. Unreal stuff

Me and Collinite 845 never got on well.

Going to try something different next time...

166man wrote: »
    Me and Collinite 845 never got on well.

Going to try something different next time...

what could possibly go wrong with something so simple to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

vectra wrote: »
    what could possibly go wrong with something so simple to use?

Probably me being an ape...! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Just wondering do people think a hot power wash, using just the plain water setting(at a petrol station) is likely to remove wax?

On a carnauba wax it is possible if temps were higher than 50-60°C

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Looking for a bit of advice. The brother is picking up an Inca van tomorrow. It has being sitting for 2 years and is covered in green crap in the outside and mould on the inside. I think I'll be ok with the interior but wondering what to tackle the paint with? I'll need something fairly heavily to get through it so was thinking good power hose down. APC and hose again followed by a wash then see where I stand?

Anyone else have similar experience? It's tornado red and looks pretty decent underneath all that so don't want to damage it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you are spot on!
    Give it a gentle hose down, to get rid of any heavy dirt, leaves etc
    APC through a pump sprayer if you havent a snowfoam lance, let it dwell, rinse off
    Apply again, give it a good hose down to lift the dirt
    Wash with regular shampoo

See where you stand then - it will be vastly improved, and probably a light polish will do wonders for it!

Thanks Curran, did a quick job before the rain using APC, came up great! It's looking well already for a van that cost €0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

What do you lads do in this situation. Applied wax to the whole car bet before I could buff it off it rained all over the car :(. Can't buff it when it's wet... what can I do?

I have being in that position before. Wiping it make it worse so I left it until the rain stopped. Dried it off and buffed it off which worked for me.

Curran wrote: »
    Yeah, you are spot on!
    Give it a gentle hose down, to get rid of any heavy dirt, leaves etc
    APC through a pump sprayer if you havent a snowfoam lance, let it dwell, rinse off
    Apply again, give it a good hose down to lift the dirt
    Wash with regular shampoo

See where you stand then - it will be vastly improved, and probably a light polish will do wonders for it!

When you say APC what sort/brand of product would fall into this category?

All purpose cleaner. Can be bought anywhere really!

• Advertisement

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    All purpose cleaner. Can be bought anywhere really!

Like Flash?

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    What do you lads do in this situation. Applied wax to the whole car bet before I could buff it off it rained all over the car :(. Can't buff it when it's wet... what can I do?

When it syops raining, dry and reapply a thin later of waswax, and when it cures it should all come off together.

It is a nightmare though!

*Kol* wrote: »
    Like Flash?

Not familiar with the Flash range; there might be an All / Multi Purpose Cleaner, but of what i know in their range it they might be a bit aggressive. The likes of Daisy (Tesco's), W5 (Lidl)...concentrates that are diluted down to suit the task at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Cheers guys. I was going to try something along those lines but had to drive the car again before it stopped raining!!! So if any of you see a car at cars and coffee this morning covered in wax I'll be driving it :(.

Looks like I'll have to wash it again then apply more wax and then buff it off

Hi Folks, I always see that front alloys get really dirty n greasy but the rear alloys are always clean. is it normal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement