Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Right, the cars service isn't due until July, so it won't be done until then, but I want to get it detailed at the same time (the garage offer a valeting service). Anyway, what would ye expect to be covered in a full Valet to the value of around €100. I know that places can differ, but I'm sure that there are certain things that would be definitely covered. I have a fair idea myself, but I just want to see what ye think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Washed well
    Hand polished and protected - ask them what they'll use to protect it...if its something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish; thats not protection.
    Wheels cleaned well
    Tyre dressing
    Interior vacuumed, including dash/plastics wiped/dusted down
    Glass cleaned

There's a certain standard you'd expect, but you cant expect perfection either....thats what a Detailer will try to achieve.

Probably going into detailing territory here, but would a wet vac of the seats be included at all. The grubby seats are one of the major things that I have a problem with inside!

You might have to pay extra, but a good valet should have a wet vac.

Alright, cheers man, if I was closer to you, I'd be going to you!

• Advertisement

Speaking of wet-vacs. How do these boyos work and are they only the 'bees knees' on fabric seats? (ie; can you use it elsewhere on the car?).

Can't quite picture what a 'wet vac' is in my head. Are there any worrth while alternatives to a wet-vac?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

It basically squirts water out and hoovers it up, washing what you are using it on.

I suppose you could use it on the the roof lining, boot liner ect.

This'd be a heavy duty one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNMAmhGrxR8&feature=player_detailpage#t=90

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Richard tipper is really good to follow on Twitter for anyone interested, details some really exotic and nice cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Speaking of wet-vacs. How do these boyos work and are they only the 'bees knees' on fabric seats? (ie; can you use it elsewhere on the car?).

Can't quite picture what a 'wet vac' is in my head. Are there any worrth while alternatives to a wet-vac?

A wet vacuum cleaner is just a vacuum cleaner that can handle liquids as well as dry material. Very useful thing to have around the house IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Yes, it's a bugbear of mine, confusing wet vacs with spray extraction machines.

As Chimaera says, a wetvac is a fairly basic device that will suck up liquid - you can pick one up for about €50.

A spray extraction machine injects a chemical into the upholstery/carpet that you are cleaning and sucks it back out almost instantaneously - giving a deep washing action.These will cost you about €300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Being a bit cheeky here lads but I have a Karcher steam cleaner that I'm looking to sell. It's just not getting as much use as I had anticipated.

It's THIS ONE and I'll let it go for €100 o/n/o + P & P!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Just want to revive this thread as I want to ask about some products.

I was looking at the Chemical guys polishing pads. Could someone explain the difference between the white, orange and black pads?

Also what would you recommend to blacken exterior trim?

Also what would you recommend to polish a chrome/stainless exhaust tip?

I was looking at the Chemical guys polishing pads. Could someone explain the difference between the white, orange and black pads?

CGpad.jpg

Also what would you recommend to blacken exterior trim?

There are lots of options out there, but to be honest there are only a few worth considering, for your own sanity - plenty out there that will look reasonably well, but its a pain to do frequently as most arent durable. The best ones will give at least a few months protection / darkening.
    gtechniq C4 - expensive for the little you get, but for good reason, its amazing stuff
    Wolf's Chemicals - Blackout
    CarPro - Perl wouldnt be too bad either

There are options to use a heat gun to rejuvenate the plastics, and not recommend as its quite easy to burn or warp the plastics - ideal as a quick fix on a cheap run around or a work van for example - not on your pride and joy!!

Also what would you recommend to polish a chrome/stainless exhaust tip?
    Depending on how bad - light contamination, it would be sufficient to use metal polish and a microfibre cloth. Heavy contamination, might require steel wool (Fine Grade - 0000) and metal polish, and finish with metal polish and a microfibre
    Plenty of decent metal polishes out there; Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh, Britemax do a good one, Chemical Guys, Brasso even....most ranges will have a metal polish and most are decent enough!

Thanks Curran,
    So do you give the car a going over with say an orange pad and then buff off and go over it again with a black finishing pad?

http://www.detailingshed.com/polish/212-chemical-guys-hex-logic-orange-light-cutting-hand-applicator-pad.html
    http://www.detailingshed.com/polish/211-chemical-guys-hex-logic-black-polishing-hand-applicator-pad.html

The tips are in a bad way so looks like it will be the wool and polish

EDEED0C7-E922-4FB1-8F50-987483E748AF_zpskcfqics0.jpg

Ahhh those are the hand applicator ...I thought you meant the machine polishing pads...yeah; essentially thats it. The orange will make less work of the surface oxidation over the black, but to be honest; your car seems new enough...so wont be any advantage having those applicators over a regular one.

Tips definitely look like they need steel wool! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

I have an old clio I use as a run around.
    I recently gave it a good wash (tbm) did a de iron and a polish. There are a few scrapes along the doors that are to deep to be polished out.
    It's the a product that would make it easy for a beginner to fix? Also. The head lights are really worn looking, any tips fpr refurbing them. ?

Tip for the headlights is toothpaste, water and a cloth, should take the dull cloudy look away. Just be careful when taking the glass off, sometimes the seal can be extra strong and you could easily crack or smash them in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

looking some advice, i gave my car a good going over about 4 months, ago, snow foamed, detarred, deironed, 2bm, clayed polished and wax etc, the car still beads to this day however what is best to bring it back, would washing and polishing it again only remove the layer of wax? would i be best to power was 2bm and use quick detailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Polish goes on before wax so applying polish over wax is like putting your boxers on over your pants.

You'll still have the protection underneath the layer of polish but the whole thing is a waste of time.

Polish goes on before wax so applying polish over wax is like putting your boxers on over your pants.

You'll still have the protection underneath the layer of polish but the whole thing is a waste of time.

so what would be best as i dont feel car needs the full works again yet, would 2bm and quick detailer be best, the point i was trying to put forward since car is waxed and mostly still protected polishing would only strip the wax already applied would it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

deaglan169 wrote: »
    so what would be best as i dont feel car needs the full works again yet, would 2bm and quick detailer be best, the point i was trying to put forward since car is waxed and mostly still protected polishing would only strip the wax already applied would it not?

Has it been washed at all over the last 4 months?

it has had one wash and a spray of quick detailer, car sits up monday to friday mostly so doesnt get too dirty, last time i used 2bm and lambwool mitt i covered car in scratches i think it picked up grit from the channel around bump strip on side doors

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads, I've a question.

Meant to do it last year, but the OH got rid of that car.

Now he has a 00 E Class with a few scrapes, and manky seats.

We've a local firm who will do a great job according to my mech who recommends them

Sound like a good anniversary present?

Stheno wrote: »
    Lads, I've a question.

Meant to do it last year, but the OH got rid of that car.

Now he has a 00 E Class with a few scrapes, and manky seats.

We've a local firm who will do a great job according to my mech who recommends them

Sound like a good anniversary present?

Depends, is he into his car? If so then ya, a full out valet or even detail would be a decent idea, if he's not, then no... :P

I'm nearly finished detailing my car and wondering has anyone used OA Perfection over CG Jetseal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

The gentleman in Detailing Shed send me this link when I bought that Legendary Wax/Sealant.

Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

Thought it might be helpful to the beginners like me!

Over the last while my snow foam lance hasn't been foaming as well as it should so this morning I took it apart and cleaned it. Very easy to do but I should probably wait to say that until it has been tested!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

My standard procedure now is.
    Use faom Lance.
    While foam is dwelling I blow a half container of diluted apc through it and put it away. Seems to be foaming better than ever. :)

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    My standard procedure now is.
    Use faom Lance.
    While foam is dwelling I blow a half container of diluted apc through it and put it away. Seems to be foaming better than ever. :)

I might start doing this. I usually just flush it through with water and I did get a year out of it without having to do anything major. Someone else here was suggesting just running a bit of neat APC though it after each use. I'll just work out whichever is easier and do that :P

Advertisement