Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Dorian

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I see commentary that the back eye wall is just now moving in to Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco.

J5wRczU.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It isn't just the global models struggling with the pressure values though. Here is NOAA's own high res model (3km Sq) that is ran ever hour. Has central pressure at over 970 hPa at this time.

hY0ISQl.png

It does make you ask as to what the point is of taking real time obs if they are not reflected in later model runs.

Models have certainly overestimated the Pressure forecasts of the hurricane. Playing havoc I’d imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Have to laugh at this 'advisory' from the Bahamas Dept of Meteorology:

"BAHAMAS PUBLIC FORECAST

THE PUBLIC FORECAST FOR 6:00 AM TODAY AND TONIGHT SUNDAY 1ST
    SEPTEMBER 2019, ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF
    METEOROLOGY.

GENERAL SITUATION: CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE DORIAN IS MOVING ACROSS ABACO
    AND EXPECTED TO MOVE OVER OR NEAR GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND TODAY AND
    TONIGHT WHILE RAINBANDS FROM DORIAN WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE MODERATE
    TO STRONG WINDS, SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF
    THE NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS. HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN THE
    SOUTHEAST BAHAMAS IN THE WAKE OF DORIAN’S PASSAGE.

SPECIAL WARNINGS: A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR PORTIONS
    OF THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS WHICH INCLUDES NORTH ELEUTHERA, ABACO, GRAND
    BAHAMA, BIMINI, THE BERRY ISLANDS AND NEW PROVIDENCE. A HURRICANE
    WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTH ANDROS.

FOR THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS

WEATHER: HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR ABACO AND
    GRAND BAHAMA AND ITS ADJACENT WATERS….TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
    IN EFFECT FOR ELEUTHERA, BERRY ISLANDS, AND BIMINI. EXPECT CLOUDY TO
    OVERCAST SKIES, WINDY WITH WIDESPREAD RAIN AND A FEW ISOLATED
    THUNDERSTORMS…FLOODING CAN BE EXPECTED DUE to HEAVY AND PROLONGED
    RAINFALL

ADVISORY: BOATERS ARE TO REMAIN IN PORT.

No overblown orange or red warnings there. Just don't go out to sea while the storm pushes through. :cool:

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Sorry if it’s been posted but I’m watching this on repeat.
    It’s vast

https://twitter.com/kenobifan1977/status/1168240190936293378?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've never seen NHC give this many direct appeals to residents in particular places. Let alone specific updates to address people wandering otuside in the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Bahamas national TV station feed. Real coverage without the sensationalist American crap. Cuts out from time to time.

https://znsbahamas.com/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at this 'advisory' from the Bahamas Dept of Meteorology:

"General Situation: Hurricane Category 4 moving across"

That is the general situation alright.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not even flinching going over those islands. Plenty of lightning wrapped around the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Rougies wrote: »
    Bahamas national TV station feed. Real coverage without the sensationalist American crap. Cuts out from time to time.

https://znsbahamas.com/

Presenters, local government and their Emergency briefing people are all basically suggesting God is in charge and they should just pray.

I'm sure they're a very religious country but that sort of bull**** is extremely unhelpful. Focus on facts.

Freeport Airport Terminal Area Forecast. You won't see a TAF like this too often. And what's scary is it could be underestimating by nearly 100%. (decoded here )
    MYGF 011600Z 0118/0218 36030G45KT 7000 SHRA FEW015CB BKN040 OVC080 FM020200 VRB80G100KT 1600 TSRA BKN015CB BKN018 OVC050

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Any updated live streams or webcams?

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Any updated live streams or webcams?

Starting to get Gusty in Freeport

https://www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-webcams/caribbean/freeport-bahamas/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Some harrowing footage on that Facebook page I linked again few pages back.

Watching the Bahamiam live tv the staff have fear in their faces. Not nice

Latest - another very slight nudge west. Small differences here make huge differences from an impact perspective. Also hurricane warning now in eastern counties of Florida.

EDaFImxUYAAYc2d?format=png&name=900x900

Eye looks like it could be getting smaller slightly. Perhaps an eyewall cycle about to get underway.

There are no words...

816399-C9-FE30-469-E-B3-DC-FD6524825806.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What odds this just continues trundling west? Its on a roll

What odds this just continues trundling west? Its on a roll

That’s what I was worried about early this morning. This could carve its own path.
    Small chance that the direct hit into Florida and the then the turn North that was modelled days ago could be correct...

18z GFS has the eye ever closer to the Florida coast by another 10 miles or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,728 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

18z GFS has the eye ever closer to the Florida coast by another 10 miles or so...

Yeah there seem to be warnings for more of the east coast of Florida tonight. I wonder does that red line that shows the strength of the hurricane do more harm than good ? I mean how many people thing that’s the true track of a hurricane and because it’s away from them they think they are in the clear ?

Looking at the satellite sequence on it today, you can see the eye filled in a tad as it passed over the Marsh Harbour and then cleared out again like nothing to it again as it went back over the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

An outer eyewall is definitely starting to form and can be seen in this most recent 85 GHz scan (faint yellow ring). This plus the island interaction should hopefully bring about a marked weakening, probably a little more than the official forecast is showing. The only thing is the overall wind-field will probably expand a bit, but if it takes some of the heat off the poor Bahamians at the expense of a few extra knots for eastern Florida down the road then it's worth it.

diag20190901T212138_gmi_85.png

Latest microwave rain rates. Yellow is about 0.8 inches per hour.

20190901.2121.gpm.x.rain.05LDORIAN.160kts-910mb-265N-771W.061pc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

That Bahamian TV indicated possible fatalities Abaco Island (not official yet).

The larger island that is about to be hit, they will have no infrastructure left for the 50,000 or so inhabitants after tonight. No schools, no hospital, no government buildings and no work buildings etc horrible thought for them as they count down the hours. I imagine many countries will provide aid when this moves away but your talking years of rebuilding ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

BumperD wrote: »
    That Bahamian TV indicated possible fatalities Abaco Island (not official yet).

The larger island that is about to be hit, they will have no infrastructure left for the 50,000 or so inhabitants after tonight. No schools, no hospital, no government buildings and no work buildings etc horrible thought for them as they count down the hours. I imagine many countries will provide aid when this moves away but your talking years of rebuilding ahead.

Christ, that's grim.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah, all webcams down. Very little communication coming out of the northern islands at the moment.

This and this hasnt been hit yet but I assume it'll go offline in the AM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lightning captured from within the storm:

https://twitter.com/wxlada/status/1168276946150727681

Lightning is not all that common within hurricanes so a rare sight.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The concern for the window when the entire roof is gone!

Waking up expecting to see it weakened even just a little bit, nada.

Incredible it actually dropped another mb in the last recon update and still no sign of any northward movement.

Scary times for Florida

The Port Nassau webcam now is unreal. Very gusty winds and frequent lightning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Advertisement