Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Mike3549 wrote: »
    you can call it sealioning, trolling or whatever you like,

That's what it has been in the case of a few recent entrants - so its a case of calling it what it is.
    you can call it sealioning, trolling or whatever you like, but claiming that crypto is for people in developing countries is ridiculous.
    1/6th of all population have little or no electricity, 1/3rd dont use mobiles phones and you claim that these people in particular will use crypto, by texting? Its not easy to explain how technology works to public joe, but somehow you dont think it will be a problem to an uneducated person from 3rd world country, who cannot read or write

Really? Well explain then how mobile money has become a big deal in the dark continent despite the lack of education, electricity, etc.? How is that possible?

Were talking about those in third world countries who do have electricity, do have mobiles and who can read and write.

Apparently the only Africans that exist are the poor creatures on the outside of the Trocaire box from back in the day...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Just checked in Subway Grafton Street.

They don't accept anything other than Euros or a debit/credit card.

Is there a Church's Chicken in Ireland?

DiQMUxnWAAoXmBa.jpg

Sure look if its not accepted in Subway in Grafton street it's not getting any real world use :pac:

P.S. and it's now over 2,500

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Guys sorry for derailing the thread. you can call it sealioning, trolling or whatever you like, but claiming that crypto is for people in developing countries is ridiculous.
    1/6th of all population have little or no electricity, 1/3rd dont use mobiles phones and you claim that these people in particular will use crypto, by texting? Its not easy to explain how technology works to public joe, but somehow you dont think it will be a problem to an uneducated person from 3rd world country, who cannot read or write

Were talking about those in third world countries who do have electricity, do have mobiles and who can read and write.

And have access to the internet,have FIAT money in bank accounts,dont trust banks and reckon investing online in cryptocurrency might be the way to go.

Do people actually believe this stuff?

manu2009 wrote: »
    Just checked in Subway Grafton Street.

They don't accept anything other than Euros or a debit/credit card.

Is there a Church's Chicken in Ireland?

DiQMUxnWAAoXmBa.jpg

Sure look if its not accepted in Subway in Grafton street it's not getting any real world use :pac:

P.S. and it's now over 2,500

So no subway on the European Continent is taking bitcoin and you're trying to make it look like you scored a point!

So tell me there horse..how exactly do you buy a sandwich with bitcoin?

I mean I know how to do it with cash money or a debit card but how do you do it with bitcoin? How is the menu priced?

And I just betcha there's no bitcoin equivalent of a debit card that you can just tap or swipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

we all acknowledge it's early days in this scene.

but you sound like someone who laughed at computer geeks saying that no one would ever be able to use an "email" address and sure who could even check it anyway etc etc.

and sure even if you're right, why can't you leave people here to it?

i don't go into forums about stuff i'm not interested in / think are stupid just to wind up the people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

So no subway on the European Continent is taking bitcoin and you're trying to make it look like you scored a point!

So tell me there horse..how exactly do you buy a sandwich with bitcoin?

I mean I know how to do it with cash money or a debit card but how do you do it with bitcoin? How is the menu priced?

And I just betcha there's no bitcoin equivalent of a debit card that you can just tap or swipe.

No subway in Europe but plenty of places do, hotels in Russia were accepting BTC during the world cup.

Also it's quite easy to use BTC to buy something, you get the wallet address for the place you are buying it from,find what their FIAT equivilant is in BTC and boom you hit send.

Here you go little buddy,you have a good night now

Edit: Also pretty sick of having to hold your hand when you won't even do your own research. You're a time waster

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cravings wrote: »
    i don't go into forums about stuff i'm not interested in / think are stupid just to wind up the people there?

Sums it up really. If I see someone on a forum like this posting unsubstantiated nonsense purely to cause aggravation, which is what I reckon is going on here, I ask myself why? What motivates them? None of the possible answers would encourage me to engage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Guys sorry for derailing the thread. you can call it sealioning, trolling or whatever you like, but claiming that crypto is for people in developing countries is ridiculous.

So you're saying 5/6ths do have electricity and 2/3rds do use mobile phones? What's your point exactly?

smacl wrote: »
    Sums it up really. If I see someone on a forum like this posting unsubstantiated nonsense purely to cause aggravation, which is what I reckon is going on here, I ask myself why? What motivates them? None of the possible answers would encourage me to engage.

I think it's a case of not feeding 'it'. I certainly won't be feeding it from here on in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Group pact to ignore The EnBalmer? Whatever an Enbalmer is...

Someone recently suggested that OTC trading was an irrelevance. It's far from it - it's equally as important as exchange trading and in some ways, probably more so.

U.S. based exchange Bittrex started an OTC trading desk earlier today - following Coinbase and Circle. There's a reason these services are being put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Etherium upgrade coming Wednesday, not sure what impact it will have. Hopefully not like the bitcoin cash crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Etherium upgrade coming Wednesday, not sure what impact it will have. Hopefully not like the bitcoin cash crash.

Gut feeling and nothing more. I’d expect it to react like bitcoin cash, as many do, so I’d short it. But any time I follow a theme I’m wrong. So I think we could see a jump.

The dynamic was different with the Bitcoin Cash thing - as it was a very contentious fork - with two sides lining up with a war of attrition in terms of mining.

I guess if the ETH upgrade goes badly, then it would have repercussions...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Is there any further info about this? What sort of upgrade? I presume it isn’t the much vaunted move from PoW to PoS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Cryptopia Exchange was hacked

small irrelevant exchange but still, hopefully no one on here effected

No chance..they're far too shrewd round these parts.

High rollers to a man.

No chance..they're far too shrewd round these parts.

High rollers to a man.

Your posts are as insightful and as irritating as a wasp

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Damn, that's inconvenient. It's my most used exchange. Was wondering what the story was as their site went into "maintenance" mode sometime yesterday afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Is there any further info about this? What sort of upgrade? I presume it isn’t the much vaunted move from PoW to PoS?
    There'd be a much bigger hubbub if Serenity was being launched, you'll know about it when it does. It's not even on testnet yet, that'll probably be this quarter or next quarter. Or next quarter. Or next quarter. Or...
    What is Constantinople?
    Changes that are implemented in Constantinople are defined using EIPs. Ethereum Improvement Proposals (EIPs) describe standards for the Ethereum platform, including core protocol specifications, client APIs, and contract standards. The following EIPs will be implemented in Constantinople.

EIP 145: Bitwise shifting instructions in EVM
    Provides native bitwise shifting with cost on par with other arithmetic operations.

EVM is lacking bitwise shifting operators, but supports other logical and arithmetic operators. Shift operations can be implemented via arithmetic operators, but that has a higher cost and requires more processing time. Implementing SHL and SHR using arithmetics cost each 35 gas, while these proposed instructions take 3 gas.

In short: This EIP adds native functionality to protocol so that it is cheaper & easier to do certain things on chain.

EIP 1014: Skinny CREATE2
    Adds a new opcode at 0xf5, which takes 4 stack arguments: endowment, memory_start, memory_length, salt. Behaves identically to CREATE, except using keccak256( 0xff ++ sender_address ++ salt ++ keccak256(init_code)))[12:] instead of keccak256(RLP(sender_address, nonce))[12:] as the address where the contract is initialized at.

This allows interactions to be made with addresses that do not exist yet on-chain but can be relied on to only possibly contain code eventually that has been created by a particular piece of init code.

Important for state-channel use cases that involve counterfactual interactions with contracts.

In short: This EIP makes it so you can interact with addresses that have yet to be created.

EIP 1052: EXTCODEHASH opcode
    This EIP specifies a new opcode, which returns the keccak256 hash of a contract’s code.

Many contracts need to perform checks on a contract’s bytecode, but do not necessarily need the bytecode itself. For instance, a contract may want to check if another contract’s bytecode is one of a set of permitted implementations, or it may perform analyses on code and whitelist any contract with matching bytecode if the analysis passes.

Contracts can presently do this using the EXTCODECOPY opcode, but this is expensive, especially for large contracts, in cases where only the hash is required. As a result, a new opcode is being implemented called EXTCODEHASH which returns the keccak256 hash of a contract’s bytecode.

In short: This EIP makes it cheaper (less gas is needed) to do certain things on chain.

EIP 1283: Net gas metering for SSTORE without dirty maps
    This EIP proposes net gas metering changes for SSTORE opcode, enabling new usages for contract storage, and reducing excessive gas costs where it doesn’t match how most implementation works.

In short: This EIP makes it cheaper (less gas is needed) to do certain things on chain, especially things that are currently “excessively” expensive.

EIP 1234: Constantinople Difficulty Bomb Delay and Block Reward Adjustment
    The average block times are increasing due to the difficulty bomb (also known as the “ice age”) slowly accelerating. This EIP proposes to delay the difficulty bomb for approximately 12 months and to reduce the block rewards to adjust for the ice age delay.

In short: This EIP make sure we don’t freeze the blockchain before proof of stake is ready & implemented.

TL;DR
    A bunch of changes making certain actions cheaper and future-proofing for future additions to the protocol. Much helpful for sidechains or state channels or contracts interacting with eachother which is likely to happen much more often in the future.
    Makes current contracts less expensive to use but also opens the gates for more experimentation with contracts that would have been prohibitively expensive to run before.

A parameter change that reduces issuance->reduces oversupply->theoretically stabilises price->stabilised or increased price means->more secure network as it's more costly to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

unkel wrote: »
    Damn, that's inconvenient. It's my most used exchange. Was wondering what the story was as their site went into "maintenance" mode sometime yesterday afternoon

Argh ... hope you’re not affected :-/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Mod Note:

The Enbalmer banned from forum: enough posts here to show a pattern of repeated pedantry and trollish behaviour. latest post just confirms that the poster just want to be a dick. Alternate opinions and views are welcome, disagreement is welcome but discussion is mandatory, soapboxing and other troll strategies are not allowed.

I apologise to the forum users for allowing it to go on for the length I did but I prefer to be sure and give the poster every chance to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks Bob!

No, I had just sent about $30* worth of coin to the exchange to immediately sell it before I realised it was in maintenance (=something bad wrong). I never leave any coin on any exchange. Transfer in => buy / sel => transfer out

*Yes that's a pittance, even for my standards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

LoLth wrote: »
    Mod Note:

The Enbalmer banned from forum: enough posts here to show a pattern of repeated pedantry and trollish behaviour. latest post just confirms that the poster just want to be a dick. Alternate opinions and views are welcome, disagreement is welcome but discussion is mandatory, soapboxing and other troll strategies are not allowed.

I apologise to the forum users for allowing it to go on for the length I did but I prefer to be sure and give the poster every chance to prove me wrong.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks Bob!

No, I had just sent about $30* worth of coin to the exchange to immediately sell it before I realised it was in maintenance (=something bad wrong). I never leave any coin on any exchange. Transfer in => buy / sel => transfer out

*Yes that's a pittance, even for my standards :p

Good practice not to leave it on the exchange, but it really is an issue for the whole industry that you have to do that to be safe. Not everyone will be aware of the risks or have a good alternative options to hold their crypto.

I don’t know whether it should come from national regulators or self regulation but there is a strong need for some kind of certification that could be given to exchanges and guarantee to people that their assets are safe with that exchange (both in terms of security practices to avoid incidents as much as possible but also of having some kind of emergency fund/policy to cover theft incidents if they still happen).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Not everyone will be aware of the risks or have a good alternative options to hold their crypto.

I think its a case of a totally different mindset required. It's an excellent feature of crypto - the ability to hold your own funds. However, it comes with great responsibility and its far from user friendly.

I'd hope someone can innovate towards a more user friendly way to facilitate the user to store their own funds safely and securely.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Not everyone will be aware of the risks or have a good alternative options to hold their crypto.

I think its a case of a totally different mindset required. It's an excellent feature of crypto - the ability to hold your own funds. However, it comes with great responsibility and its far from user friendly.

I'd hope someone can innovate towards a more user friendly way to facilitate the user to store their own funds safely and securely.

Massive scope for a business/idea to offer a secure service for cold storage wallets imo

Or are we back to a bank by proxy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get a Samsung phone with Knox, enable the Secure Folder and store your wallets in that - and write down the key string on paper too and store that somewhere safe.

Advertisement