Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

The battery is irrelevant. 100% power in 60% power out. How much does the power cost?
    The cost of the battery can be added later to project payback into the next generation.

Just 2.5kW is grid connected. Hydro and wind are on the drawing board only.
    All the batteries have their own solar panels or they're lifepo4 and don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gnr1983

rx8 wrote: »
    Pm sent

Hi, could I get a recommendation too please? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Hi guys, Ive got a few quotes now & more coming but I'm also very interested in self build. Can anyone suggest or pm sites/companies that sell solar pv systems/mounts without the install.
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

zale wrote: »
    Hi guys, Ive got a few quotes now & more coming but I'm also very interested in self build. Can anyone suggest or pm sites/companies that sell solar pv systems/mounts without the install.
    Thx

midsummer.ie and solartricity.ie are both good and we'll stocked

Mounts cabling and bits could be a grand at most, and then you simply have the inverter and the panels.

The only thing with a self build is that you need to send in an NC6 Form to ESB Networks, and this must have an electricians name on it. But this electrician does NOT have to be SEAI certified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

championc wrote: »
    midsummer.ie and solartricity.ie are both good and we'll stocked

Mounts cabling and bits could be a grand at most, and then you simply have the inverter and the panels.

The only thing with a self build is that you need to send in an NC6 Form to ESB Networks, and this must have an electricians name on it. But this electrician does NOT have to be SEAI certified

Have an electrician in the family. Will give them a look & do up the figures. Thx ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭rx8

gnr1983 wrote: »
    Hi, could I get a recommendation too please? Thanks!

Sent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

just wondering could you use an APC UPS 2000 battery to store power created?

tech wrote: »
    just wondering could you use an APC UPS 2000 battery to store power created?

That would be an off grid type unit and is designed to discharge when the mains power is lost, so would not discharge when the mains is still operational

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

but if you removed he battery form the unit, could you some how to connect it up to divert power to it?

• Advertisement

tech wrote: »
    but if you removed he battery form the unit, could you some how to connect it up to divert power to it?

Storing the power is what it does. The problem is for discharging that power. So while you could plug any number of appliances into it, and it be drawing off power, it will be charging as it discharges, and will likely use about 20% extra power in this process.

You could micro-manage it by having a timed switch on the feed, to turn it on during night rate or during good solar and turning it off during peak rate time, but that would be crazy carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Installed this week

16 350w LONGI panels, four west facing and 12 East facing (Solar Thermal on south facing already for the last 14 years).

5KW Solis Hybrid Inverter

2 2.4 KWH Pylontech batteries

Solic 200 Water Diverter

Above on a natural Slate 2 storey roof. Install took 2 full days with 3 men.

South East Area

Additional 5 year warranty on Diverter.

7,300 after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi. We have a new build and considering leaving ducting and what ever else is required for a solar install at a later stage when finances are better.

We will be opting for a ground mount installation.

Where does the cabling connect into the house? What lifespan is on the new panels?

Does it connect at the meter box where the mains comes into the property?
    What do I need to put in place before I lay the surface outside the house?

Is there an upper limit on the installation size (kW).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The house is built already or are you still building it? If the latter you should install the hooks and the railings for the panels while they are doing the roof. Or ideally, install the panels too. They really are cheap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tazzman

E30M3 wrote: »
    Installed this week

16 350w LONGI panels, four west facing and 12 East facing (Solar Thermal on south facing already for the last 14 years).

5KW Solis Hybrid Inverter

2 2.4 KWH Pylontech batteries

Solic 200 Water Diverter

Above on a natural Slate 2 storey roof. Install took 2 full days with 3 men.

South East Area

Additional 5 year warranty on Diverter.

7,300 after grant.

Can you tell me where you got this quote please,
    I got a quote of nearly 10k for 14 panels with diverter on slate roof after grant.

unkel wrote: »
    The house is built already or are you still building it? If the latter you should install the hooks and the railings for the panels while they are doing the roof. Or ideally, install the panels too. They really are cheap these days.

The house is built and inhabited. The panels are to be ground mounted and they are close to finishing the ground works.

Ground mounted is far more expensive than roof fitted, takes up space and has a higher chance of being damaged. What made you decide to go ground mounted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Hi. We have a new build and considering leaving ducting and what ever else is required for a solar install at a later stage when finances are better.

We will be opting for a ground mount installation.

Where does the cabling connect into the house? What lifespan is on the new panels?

Does it connect at the meter box where the mains comes into the property?
    What do I need to put in place before I lay the surface outside the house?

Is there an upper limit on the installation size (kW).

The panels need to connect to your inverter and then the inverter connects to your meter/fusebox. So you need to think about where you will keep your inverter. All you need is ducting right now so you can run power and cat5 cables without having to dig anything up. If you plan on a hot water diverter or a smart charger like Zappi, think about ducting to those too if needed.
    The panels have a claimed life of 25-30 years but they do degrade during that time albeit at a slow pace (well under 1% p.a.) Upper limit on ESB approved install size is 6kW but you can have more than 6kW of panels if your inverter is rated at 6kW or less.

I'd be amazed if anyone on here will keep panels longer than 10 years. Mine are all 300's. If I could get 400's for the same size as current 300's, I'd be chomping at the bit to swap them out. I'd say that the 400's in the same size of my current 300's will be available within 5 years

championc wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if anyone on here will keep panels longer than 10 years. Mine are all 300's. If I could get 400's for the same size as current 300's, I'd be chomping at the bit to swap them out. I'd say that the 400's in the same size of my current 300's will be available within 5 years

Only a few lunatics like yourself or myself with very limited roof space would even consider doing something like that :p

The majority of PV owners with panels on their high roof will leave them well alone, forever.

• Advertisement

I think he is assuming everyone on this thread is a lunatic.

But honestly, unless your current install is not large enough to satisfy your electricity needs or your power needs go up dramatically why would you go through the expense of taking down old panels and putting up new ones? You'll never get payback on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have no intention of changing my panels unless I need to.

I may add 2 more at a push, but that's all. And realistically I probably have no need to. My current problem is managing significant excess (exported 18kWh the other day) so if anything, cheap storage would be more of a priority.

unkel wrote: »
    Ground mounted is far more expensive than roof fitted, takes up space and has a higher chance of being damaged. What made you decide to go ground mounted?

I definitely replied to this last night. :confused:
    They didn't want panels on roof - full stop. Simple as that. I did try to convince them at the time but they didn't want the front of their new house 'spoiled' by panels on the roof so they were going to put them on some elevated ground at rear of property.

garo wrote: »
    The panels need to connect to your inverter and then the inverter connects to your meter/fusebox. So you need to think about where you will keep your inverter. All you need is ducting right now so you can run power and cat5 cables without having to dig anything up. If you plan on a hot water diverter or a smart charger like Zappi, think about ducting to those too if needed.
    The panels have a claimed life of 25-30 years but they do degrade during that time albeit at a slow pace (well under 1% p.a.) Upper limit on ESB approved install size is 6kW but you can have more than 6kW of panels if your inverter is rated at 6kW or less.

Is the hot water diverter a feed to the immersion heater?
    I suppose some ducting for a car charging point would be sensible too.
    The plan would be to install the controls etc in a garage which is attached to the house. Built into the external garage wall is the meter box.

Are these installations typically 3-phase or single phase?
    What groundworks would be needed to get the network connection installed for exporting?

What ground area would be typically required for a 6kW system? Are the panels a std size?

Edit: I was looking on a UK based website (Naked solar) and they quote ~£52+VAT per panel for a roof mount. They also quote £200+VAT per panel for a steel ground mount system, £108+VAT per panel for the bins and seasonally adjustable mounts for £2,500+VAT for systems up to 29 panels - although they say it works out to be slightly less than the steel ground mount kit per panel so just under £200+VAT per panel.

They also quote £200+VAT per panel for a steel ground mount system

Yeah that plus the labour cost would bump the pay back period to over 30 years then...

garo wrote: »
    expense of taking down old panels and putting up new ones?

I ain't having no strangers ever up on my roof :)

Is the hot water diverter a feed to the immersion heater?
    Yes.

I suppose some ducting for a car charging point would be sensible too.
    Indeed.

Are these installations typically 3-phase or single phase?
    Single phase

What groundworks would be needed to get the network connection installed for exporting?
    You just tie into the fusebox so the export happens via the main line coming in from the meter. That's why you are limited to 6kW.

What ground area would be typically required for a 6kW system? Are the panels a std size?

Panels are all slightly different size based on manufacturer and power rating.

What meter do the ESB use when you have Solar PV?
    I have a new night rate one and wondering if I'd need a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What meter do the ESB use when you have Solar PV?
    I have a new night rate one and wondering if I'd need a different one.

ESB dont do anything to the meter when you get Solar. All it is right now is that you have to let them know that you are getting Solar connected... they dont actually come onsite to do anything.... unless you are getting a Feed-in-tariff and want an import/export meter.... but no one is providing a FiT to new customers in Ireland so you wont be doing that either.

TL;DR... your existing day/night meter will do just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

KCross wrote: »
    ESB dont do anything to the meter when you get Solar. All it is right now is that you have to let them know that you are getting Solar connected... they dont actually come onsite to do anything.... unless you are getting a Feed-in-tariff and want an import/export meter.... but no one is providing a FiT to new customers in Ireland so you wont be doing that either.

TL;DR... your existing day/night meter will do just fine.

Oh they do come out, especially when you have a old mechanical meter that spins backwards.
    I managed to rewind the meter so far back I was in credit.
    Then the digital meter came and my fun was over, the basxards.
    Plus side i now have day/night readings.

A friend of mine managed to put them of for 3 months, bloody chancer. Just wished i thought of it.

If you have a very old mechanical metre put them off for as long as humanly possible, rewind that baby.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement