Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭coillcam

Just wondering how physical Junior B/C hurling gets. I ask because I'm not allowed play contact sports (because of brain surgery 6 years ago). But I'm thinking if I wore a helmet I might be OK at a fairly low level of hurling. Played as a kid and loved it.

I'm no doctor and I'm not going to make assumptions on your condition but any contact sport at any competitive level (be it friendly, junior, inter-county or pro) will always have a risk of injury even in training. Personally I don't think it would be good idea helmet or otherwise.

Perhaps you could consider getting involved in coaching or helping out local juvenile teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bigdirtyjames

Great Thread!
    Finaly plucked up the balls to get back Hurling after an eleven year break!
    Im 32 this year so its a long wait!
    Trained thursday night for the first time and was pleasently surprised by my touch and fitness managed to stay with the pack in training and hope to realy give it a good go for the season and more!
    Granted its Junior A but i cant explain how good it felt to just pull on a sliotar in anger!
    The welcome back was great bit of banter but full support i realy dont think youd get it in any other sport!

Fair play to you sir.

I played a lot when I was younger, and now that the kids are into it (I'm 33), I've started hitting the ball about a bit again.

So, I'm trying to lose weight and was thinking I'd love to turn out at a low level next year for some club who are desperate enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Ok been meaning to update this for awhile but i kept forgetting.

Some people who know me here know i have had really bad problems with a ruptured achilles tendon. I played last year when i shouldnt have and made it much worse. So this year i had decided to take the year out because as stubborn as i am even i knew it was time to take a break.

But gaelic is just like the mafia:

I was asked to coach a girls team, they did not have a coach and would have forfeit the year otherwise so i stepped in. I have helped coaches before but this was a much bigger step, i dont get nervous generally but i have to admit the collywobbles were present :D

It was a culture shock to say the least, and took some adaptation on both sides. The girls told me they had never been pushed as hard (One is a county player :D ) to be honest this team is known as not being a serious team and cannon fodder for other teams. I had THREE club players in total out of a panel of over 20!

At the start i figured i would measure success with wins, but to be totally honest there were 4 or 5 girls who had never touched an o'neills ball before who now have at least basic gaelic skills and that warmed my heart no end!

Yeah we got hammered too :o

So anyway three clubs then got in touch wanting me to come coach for them, one guy who is the games development officer for the county actually drove around looking for me after a coaching seminar to try talk me into coming to his club haha!

So lads how have the rest of yis been gettin on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mhoward

Hi all,

I was wondering about joining a GAA (football) team, I've never played before, but am willing to try hard... Anyone know about teams in Shankill/Loughlinstown area? I'm 26 by the way so looking for an adult team... Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thelazygun

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any details about whether St.Vincents in Fairview have a juniors B/C team. I've wanted to start playing again all year now.

-Also, is it possible to join teams mid-season, an earlier reply said that seasons start around February?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

mhoward wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering about joining a GAA (football) team, I've never played before, but am willing to try hard... Anyone know about teams in Shankill/Loughlinstown area? I'm 26 by the way so looking for an adult team... Thanks in advance!

Give Cuala a try they have loads of teams at different levels

http://www.cualagaa.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

St James Gaels 2012
    Club Name:
    St James Gaels
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Rd,Dublin12.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties
    Code (football): Gaelic Football
    Level played:Junior A,Junior C,Minor,U16,U14,U12,U10,U8
    Contact details:stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in December and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We will be doing gym for December and early January then pre-season training from mid January.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 27,56,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

Both Junior teams had a decent season in 2011 and will be looking to progress a step further next year,first team just missed out on promotion and got to semi final of junior championship and second team lost out in promotion playoff game.

axelf82@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickindublin24

Would love to go back playing Gaelic football. I played at underage and was a half decent wing back. Am 40 years old now though. Anyone know any clubs in the Tallaght area with an old team looking for players ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Would love to go back playing Gaelic football. I played at underage and was a half decent wing back. Am 40 years old now though. Anyone know any clubs in the Tallaght area with an old team looking for players ?

Give either of these a try, I thomas davis have a proper junior team with a good few elder statesmen :D

http://www.thomasdavisgaa.ie/ or http://www.stmarksgaa.ie/default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f

St James Gaels 2012
    Club Name:St James Gaels
    Location:Iveagh Grounds,Crumlin Rd,Dublin12.Areas recruit from:Walkinstown,Drimnagh,Crumlin,Kimmage,Harold Cross,The Liberties
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 27,56,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

Both Junior teams had a decent season in 2011 and will be looking to progress a step further next year,first team just missed out on promotion and got to semi final of junior championship and second team lost out in promotion playoff game.

We will be starting training on 9th January and train every monday and wednesday nights in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road at 7.30pm,we have a mix of players from all over the country Kerry, Laois,Cork,Mayo,Galway,Clare,Donegal ,Sligo,Down and even a couple of Austrailians.We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to train or play.For more info please contact me @axelf82@hotmail.com

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Just wondering does anyone know of a club (preferably not too far from the Dublin 6 area) that would welcome absolute beginners for camogie?! I'm 24 but would love to take it up, is there any club with teams of a low enough level for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 louthlas

Hi, I had a similar train of thought this time last year. I joined Plunketts club out the Navan Road. I found they had far too many players though and it was hard to get a place as I too am a beginner. The team was also quite young. I'm 24 too and part of the reason to join was a bit of craic. Anyway long story short, club was too far away from me to make matches and trainings after work and also they had more than enough players. I would be interested in joining another club closer to the City Centre or maybe on a Luas line. So I may join you on your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Fair play to you sir.

I played a lot when I was younger, and now that the kids are into it (I'm 33), I've started hitting the ball about a bit again.

So, I'm trying to lose weight and was thinking I'd love to turn out at a low level next year for some club who are desperate enough.

If you're still looking to get involved for 2012 then Réalt Dearg are based on the Southside of Dublin if that's any use. We have two teams and players of all abilities so don't worry about having been out of the game a few years! If you fancy coming down training we're starting hurling in early Feb, currently some lads are doing gym/running/yoga depending on which they like to stay in shape. First round of cup matches in late Feb. Just go to www.realtdearg.ie and call/text/email one of the lads from the committee page. We'd love to have you on board!

Just wondering does anyone know of a club (preferably not too far from the Dublin 6 area) that would welcome absolute beginners for camogie?! I'm 24 but would love to take it up, is there any club with teams of a low enough level for this?
    louthlas wrote: »
    Hi, I had a similar train of thought this time last year. I joined Plunketts club out the Navan Road. I found they had far too many players though and it was hard to get a place as I too am a beginner. The team was also quite young. I'm 24 too and part of the reason to join was a bit of craic. Anyway long story short, club was too far away from me to make matches and trainings after work and also they had more than enough players. I would be interested in joining another club closer to the City Centre or maybe on a Luas line. So I may join you on your search.

Folks if you have a look at my original post on this thread there is a zipped folder full of word documents. Each county has it's own word document with websites for a number of clubs, have a look and you might find clubs there in your areas.
    If you're still looking to get involved for 2012 then Réalt Dearg are based on the Southside of Dublin if that's any use. We have two teams and players of all abilities so don't worry about having been out of the game a few years! If you fancy coming down training we're starting hurling in early Feb, currently some lads are doing gym/running/yoga depending on which they like to stay in shape. First round of cup matches in late Feb. Just go to www.realtdearg.ie and call/text/email one of the lads from the committee page. We'd love to have you on board!

You know what's funny, I used to puck around in Bushy park in my youth with a friend and more than once we were shouted at for playing "Bogball" there. I would add that this was shouted to/at us by pupils of that rugby school across the road from the park! Great to see you lads getting that together had heard of you awhile ago but didn't know the name. I cannot add your details to the word documents in the original post so what I would suggest is to come back every once in awhile like Gael85 there and let people know about the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bigdirtyjames

Unfortunately I'm in Belfast lol.

Thanks for the reply though mate.

Unfortunately I'm in Belfast

Where in belfast?

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels 2012
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club.We have 2 progressing adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 27,56,56a,77a,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123,150 buses go near the pitch as well.

We will be starting training on 9th January and train every monday and wednesday nights in Iveagh Grounds Crumlin Road at 7.30pm,we have a mix of players from all over the country Kerry, Laois,Cork,Mayo,Galway,Clare,Donegal ,Sligo,Down and even a couple of Austrailians.We also enjoy and organise many social events/fundraisers throughout the year(including end of season trip) so all welcome to train or play.For more info please contact me @axelf82@hotmail.com

were still looking for new players,league starting in a couple weeks,train monday and wednesday evenings@7:30,new players welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Podgemus

Hi Lads, Im 23 and havent played or trained for Gaelic Football since i was 16 or so in school. I played in Goal as a young lad and was handy enuf but dropped it for other things. Im going back tonight to play with my local Junior club and i would be lying if i said i wasnt nervous :o. Im going to try play out field becuase i play up front in soccer, so no interest in being a keeper as the head for it has gone out the window. Fitness will be no problem to me as ive a serious interest in outdoor sports and train 4 nights a week sometimes with soccer but im wondering am i crazy attempting to play outfield when ive never done it before, even as a young lad. :( Fair enough il learn but is it too late to be starting from scratch?? :confused:

Podgemus wrote: »
    Hi Lads, Im 23 and havent played or trained for Gaelic Football since i was 16 or so in school. I played in Goal as a young lad and was handy enuf but dropped it for other things. Im going back tonight to play with my local Junior club and i would be lying if i said i wasnt nervous :o. Im going to try play out field becuase i play up front in soccer, so no interest in being a keeper as the head for it has gone out the window. Fitness will be no problem to me as ive a serious interest in outdoor sports and train 4 nights a week sometimes with soccer but im wondering am i crazy attempting to play outfield when ive never done it before, even as a young lad. :( Fair enough il learn but is it too late to be starting from scratch?? :confused:

Never too late to learn my friend. What I would suggest is maybe go to watch a few training sessions and figure out what position you would want to play. If you are going or a forward position you need alot of skill when it comes to shooting both from your hand and off the ground.

Be prepared for alot of work though that's all I will say, but the sooner you get stuck in the sooner you will be flyin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Just the thread I was looking for, I think!

So I'm 39yo and have started back with the local football club playing junior football after an 8 year absence. I'm fit as I've kept up running and triathlon in the meantime, although not so much in the last 4 years since the kids came along:rolleyes:.

I've run 2 10 mile road races in respectable times this Spring so I have the stamina. Where I'm lacking is sharpness and sprinting. The other thing is my joints aren't holding up that well to the football training - it's a shock to them all this twisting and turning, acclerating, braking, jumping etc etc. I've ice on my ankle as I type - swollen after a game on hard ground yesterday:eek:)

I've played 3 games so far and am very happy to be back at it and am contributing well. However.... I'm f**ked after a burst of play for a 1 minute till I get my wind back. So how can I work on this? I haven't football trained the last 2 weeks between games as a knee was at me (I did swim and slow run on the beach). I'm looking at doing a session by myself and am thinking of 20m sprints and 50m sprints, after a suitable warm-up and strecth of course.

Any suggestions?

Also what are a good pair of boots? I'm used to good quality well fitting Asics runners for running which give good support and have helped keep injuries to a minimum while running. Are there football boots out there with good support? (The current pair I think are 12yo:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Im 30 years old, havent played football since I was at school. Looking to get back playing, even just training with a team to see how I get on. I'm on the north side of Dublin, any ideas where I could start ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Im 30 years old, havent played football since I was at school. Looking to get back playing, even just training with a team to see how I get on. I'm on the north side of Dublin, any ideas where I could start ?

What part of the Northside are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Alaska1 wrote: »
    What part of the Northside are you ?

Drumcondra/Glasnevin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Same here, haven't played since school. In that area too.... Na Fianna looking for ridiculous prices for membership. A postgrad student here by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

TomKat wrote: »
    Same here, haven't played since school. In that area too.... Na Fianna looking for ridiculous prices for membership. A postgrad student here by the way

Out of interest what embership price are they looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

Peace wrote: »
    Out of interest what embership price are they looking for?

I think it was 120 quid for students. 200 otherwise. That's a week's rent for me not a hope! Thought half that would nearly be too much!

It's €40 in Co Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

My contribution to this thread...

Old, fat and unfit ? - prob the first and last.:D There's certainly a belly there tho :o

However, last month I went back playing hurling after more than a decade putting it off 'til next season'. The local team put out an SOS due to a dwindling stock of players and I took the plunge. I'm after two training sessions and a full match. Jaysus lads, am I unfit. The touch never really goes, particularly if like me, you'd always be pucking a balls around for the dog and stuff. But the fitness - a killer! If you puck the ball within arms reach of me I'm grand but if I have to run...forget it! :eek::p

Jokes aside tho. There are plenty of clubs out there under pressure for bodies due to emigration and the like. If like me you have always been saying I'll go back next year, don't put it off. We all know someone who plays for a local club so just mention it. You'll be long enough actually being too old to play so do it now while the legs, arms, back, knees, etc. etc. still have a few miles in them.

Oh and when I did turn up for training the first night and everyone introduced themselves, there were two guys 15 years older than me. We're probably junior Z at the mo...but we'll get to junior C standard by August! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Im from Crossmaglen so unless you're absolutely brilliant playing football is a bit of a no-starter. They tend to take it very seriously and I'd just be looking a bit of craic. I actually prefer hurling, used to play it in Uni but fat chance of getting a team down this neck of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Decent handball scene at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

how ya doin lads.
    im livin on the northside, in artane.
    I was wonderin if ya can suggest a club.

im quite unfit, and haven't played since i was about 10, so wouldnt be lookin for a high skilled team.

ive been lookin at the zip file, but finding it hard to make sense of half the websites.

whats the best way to go about it also?

thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

how ye lads,
    in much the same boat as Br4tPr1nc3 there in the post before me except i'm in around galway city, any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    sound!

Here's a suggestion lads. Look at the local paper or contact your county board to find out what clubs have a team in the bottom 2 disivions. Call to the grounds any evening around 8.15pm and get the name and no of the junior manager. Then take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dubliner24

I'm looking to get playing football. I'm 23, never played GAA before but I'd love to make a start. Am I right in saying I'm looking for a club that has a team in AFL11 or AFL12? No point in even trying for a team in AFL5:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dubliner24

Br4tPr1nc3 did you have any luck?? I'm in the Raheny area - looking to join up somewhere beginner friendly too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

no not yet, sorry, havent had the chance to make it to the club.
    but my cousin plays for craobh chiarain, and was sayin they have a junior team.

I asked her to get a name for me, so i can ask around, and see what the situation is. ill let you know when i find out mate.

Hi all,

Unfortunately Réalt Dearg were recently beaten in the county semi final of the Junior D championship halting our progress up the ranks. However we still remain in contention for the league final and with it promotion to AHL6 for next year.

Essentially Réalt Dearg is a club set up by players, for players. That sounds cliché but we really are run by the players. We currently field two adult Junior teams in League, Cup and Championship. A problem we face in the future is that as the players age and retire we may run out of players as our plans for underage teams are some way down the road yet. We're not here to poach anyones players, we offer a route into hurling for people who haven't hurled for a while due to work, travel etc or for people who can no longer afford to be going home to play while working in Dublin.

Our aim is to keep the club progressing up the divisions, right up to senior long term. To do this we will need an underage set up and this is something we are working on. However for now we to get more adult players involved. If you think you would enjoy junior hurling in Dublin or are just looking to try out hurling next Spring then please contact us and we'll stay in touch over the winter to let you know when we start back.

I appreciate this is very early to advertise for next season but even if you haven't hurled since U-16 you'd need a transfer form so we'd like to sort them out over the winter months so you're ready to go for the cup competitions in February. To contact us please email realtdearg.hurlingclub@gmail.com or visit www.realtdearg.ie and text/call one of the committee. Thanks for your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murphs53

Hi all,

I'll be be moving back to Dublin in the next few weeks and am looking to get back into football preferably, though would be open to hurling.

I might only be back in the country for a few months, but would like to get back into things. I've not played much in the last few years, though have recently started back with football in a local GAA team abroad.

Given the time of year it is with club season, does anyone know any clubs in the Dublin area that you could suggest for people who are very rusty but just want to get back out and play a bit again?

Cheers

Sounds like you'd be a good fit with Réalt Dearg hurling club. Depends where abouts you are in Dublin but if you were on the southside it'd be handy enough for you and we always maintain a team that lads who are rusty can start back with. As we are hurling only you'd be able to play football with one of the football only clubs up the road too. Go to www.realtdearg.ie and email,text,phone one of the lads on the committee section. The more the merrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

They'll never get as good a chance again, and just hope Kilkenny haven't learned to much from the first game, and up the west **** the rest.. Did you see the rosies who the b under 21 yesterday too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BertMark

Hi everyone,

Im 26 and have never played hurling more than pucking it about with friends. However I've always wanted to play on a team and I'm looking for a new sport to take up so, even though I suspect it's not feasible, I'd love to give hurling a go.
    When I was younger I had some skill with the sliotar but nothing to write home about and by now I'd probably be at the level of someone ocming to Ireland and picking up a hurl for the first time.

Is there any hope for me? Do they even have leagues with a beginner level?

I've checked out Realt Dearg but sadly Im in Dublin 5 so it just isn't feasible. Are there any other teams that I might find a spot on? (After a few months work at it, obviously!)

BertMark wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Im 26 and have never played hurling more than pucking it about with friends. However I've always wanted to play on a team and I'm looking for a new sport to take up so, even though I suspect it's not feasible, I'd love to give hurling a go.
    When I was younger I had some skill with the sliotar but nothing to write home about and by now I'd probably be at the level of someone ocming to Ireland and picking up a hurl for the first time.

Is there any hope for me? Do they even have leagues with a beginner level?

I've checked out Realt Dearg but sadly Im in Dublin 5 so it just isn't feasible. Are there any other teams that I might find a spot on? (After a few months work at it, obviously!)

If you're in Dublin 5 then I think Raheny are closest, they just beat us in the Junior D semi final so would have a Junior team for you to work into. Website is http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/teams/hurling

Alternatively Clontarf wouldn't be too far away, they have a team in Junior F so may be an even better starting point for someone that's been out of the game a while. http://www.clontarfgaa.com/

Best of luck with it anyway, you'd be amazed how quickly you'd get back into it. I used to think that it was too late to start/go back as an adult but after seeing some of the lads in our club it really is amazing!

If you're in Dublin 5 then I think Raheny are closest, they just beat us in the Junior D semi final so would have a Junior team for you to work into. Website is http://www.raheny.gaa.ie/teams/hurling

Alternatively Clontarf wouldn't be too far away, they have a team in Junior F so may be an even better starting point for someone that's been out of the game a while. http://www.clontarfgaa.com/

Best of luck with it anyway, you'd be amazed how quickly you'd get back into it. I used to think that it was too late to start/go back as an adult but after seeing some of the lads in our club it really is amazing!

Thanks very much for that.
    What sort of standard is junior F? Would most of the lads have been playing since school?

When I say get back into it, I never played for a team. Just pucking it about a bit and wanting to be on a team but living in an area of Dublin where hurling wasn't even an afterthought! I'd essentially be a total novice if I went down.

BertMark wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that.
    What sort of standard is junior F? Would most of the lads have been playing since school?

When I say get back into it, I never played for a team. Just pucking it about a bit and wanting to be on a team but living in an area of Dublin where hurling wasn't even an afterthought! I'd essentially be a total novice if I went down.

What I've found as we've come up from Junior F to Junior D is that in every division you have 1-2 teams that are good junior teams that could play higher up the grades, 3-4 teams that are solid junior teams, and generally a couple that don't train at all that will ship some big scores. Roughly speaking of course!

We had a guy playing for our A team this year who only started hurling in 2010! We have plenty of lads on our B team who never hurled before too! We have a Canadian and a German playing. Think it was Civil Service who had a guy from Argentina and I can't remember who we were playing when the corner forward was a very fast Chinese guy. There's plenty of room to take up hurling now, just give it a go and get into the training as much as time allows. Contact your local clubs, there's probably more than Clontarf/Raheny with junior teams in your area, and see which one is most welcoming and go see what it's like

What I've found as we've come up from Junior F to Junior D is that in every division you have 1-2 teams that are good junior teams that could play higher up the grades, 3-4 teams that are solid junior teams, and generally a couple that don't train at all that will ship some big scores. Roughly speaking of course!

We had a guy playing for our A team this year who only started hurling in 2010! We have plenty of lads on our B team who never hurled before too! We have a Canadian and a German playing. Think it was Civil Service who had a guy from Argentina and I can't remember who we were playing when the corner forward was a very fast Chinese guy. There's plenty of room to take up hurling now, just give it a go and get into the training as much as time allows. Contact your local clubs, there's probably more than Clontarf/Raheny with junior teams in your area, and see which one is most welcoming and go see what it's like

I take a lot of heart from the fact that people not from Ireland were able to pick it up, give me some hope I guess :D
    How long did it take the those guys to get to a standard where they could be competitive in games?

Cheers for the advice anyway, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely give it a go. I had a look online and Naomh Barrog (who are a 5-10 min walk from my front door) also have a team in the Junior F so I can see which is better suited/welcoming to my level of ability.
    Very lucky to get 2 clubs so close to me with Junior F teams I suppose!

When will clubs most likely be starting pre-season for next year?

It depends on how much time you can give to training, obviously the lads who were able to train twice a week were showing the greatest improvements and were able to to get stuck in after a few weeks/months of pre-season. Most clubs will probably start some light training in February as the cup competitions start then. They're really considered a friendly competition but it's useful to get matches so early in the year. Each club is different, some clubs may not start training hard until championship starts in March/April. Depends how well the players wintered :p

It depends on how much time you can give to training, obviously the lads who were able to train twice a week were showing the greatest improvements and were able to to get stuck in after a few weeks/months of pre-season. Most clubs will probably start some light training in February as the cup competitions start then. They're really considered a friendly competition but it's useful to get matches so early in the year. Each club is different, some clubs may not start training hard until championship starts in March/April. Depends how well the players wintered :p

Great stuff. I'll keep pucking it around until then with more of a focus on what I'm doing than usual rather than just lashing it around.
    Thanks for all the help!

One last question (apologies!)- I currently have an elverys torpey hurley, which I know is a poor piece of kit but is fine for pucking it around. But would I be better served getting a decent one from a proper hurley maker and practising with that over the winter?
    I was told a lighter one is easier to use when controlling the sliotar etc, and that's an area I'd need to drastically improve if I was to stand any chance in Feb/March.
    Not sure on what constitutes a light hurley but the one I have now is heavy enough that I don't have accurate control of it when I'm at full stretch/have it above my head.

It's hard to advise someone else on a hurl but if you think it feels uncomfortably heavy it's probably best to consider something lighter. If it's only for pucking around with over the winter and you want to keep costs down the hurls in lidl aren't actually bad, have a good root around in them though as they can be hit and miss similar to the Torpey hurls. A lighter hurl may suit you better as you hope to get your first touch settled.

It's hard to advise someone else on a hurl but if you think it feels uncomfortably heavy it's probably best to consider something lighter. If it's only for pucking around with over the winter and you want to keep costs down the hurls in lidl aren't actually bad, have a good root around in them though as they can be hit and miss similar to the Torpey hurls. A lighter hurl may suit you better as you hope to get your first touch settled.

Thanks very much, for all the answers. I appreciate you taking the time. Just sorry Im on the wrong side of the city for Realt Dearg! I'd be down in a flash with an attitude that helpful and welcoming. Best of luck with it all, great idea.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels 2012

St James Gaels Junior C team still looking for new players,must be able to train at least once a week, training Mon&Wed nights and playing challenge games up to end of November and then back training first week in January.
    any more info email Aidan axelf82@hotmail.com

Advertisement