Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I don't personally agree with the race card thrown around - I don't believe the treatment of Meghan would be any better if she were 100% Caucasian. I didn't really like Meghan myself right from the start - but it has gone too far and it is a repeat of what happened to Fergie Duchess of York in the 80's, a woman as Caucasian as a Caucasian can be. I don't know if you're old enough to recall the unfavorable comparisons between her and Diana (recall the "Duchess of Pork" headlines?). I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen in another 25/30 years to whoever Louis marries. It's fair game to bully the wife of the second son apparently. But never the future King's wife - after all, those who run these newspapers either have Knighthoods, OBE's or whatever - or hope to get one in the future. So they won't dare!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Ah, Buzzfeed. You pick your moments! Just when those defending Meghan and Harry Markle felt they had the high ground standing up against the Daily Mail.

Are they actually comparing like for like? Meghan being 'the avocado whisperer' vs 'Kate was once gifted an avocado', to the interns at Buzzfeed, that's basically, like, the same thing like.

What about the 'fashion' headlines, one article talks about Kate wearing nicer clothes, the Meghan one, well..

"From the poor handling over the refurbishments of Frogmore Cottage to the wholly unnecessary and frankly rather precious secrecy that surrounded the birth of baby Archie, to the Clinton Card Instagram pictures, to the haughty refusal to name Archie’s godparents, the past few months have seen, not to put too fine a point on it, a catalogue of PR disasters in the Sussex Household.
    And now this. A guest editorship of Vogue featuring a list of inspirational women, half of whom no one’s ever heard of, many of whom are just celebrities, and all of whom have been seemingly chosen more for what their inclusion says about you than anything else."

Good old Buzzfeed.

All of that is supposition -you’re entitled to your view but in absence of obvious evidence or definitive version it’s equally plausible that Megan is the architect of her own downfall and it’s not them it’s her- which is the side of the fence I’m more likely to choose taking all of what I’ve read seen and heard into consideration

And as for the far right and woke thing you said, sorry but that’s just too far out there to even give it a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

The articles are from The Mail, The Express, The Sun and The Mirror. Buzzfeed only replicated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Megan is the architect of her own downfall

What downfall?

Millionaires, living in Cali with their kids in a mansion. Also I assume the ginger one is about to be a left a massive wedge by Granny.

Where did it all go wrong George?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Kate has obviously had some work done, she looks younger now than in the 2015-2017 pictures in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Buzzfeed offer the two lists of articles as being directly comparable: Kate being praised for the same thing that Meghan was criticised for. Reading the articles shows they are often not directly comparable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That is some assumption to make. So what you are alluding to is that Megan doesn't love Harry at all, only married into the title, fame and money. Even though she did the role for 4 years, was at the meet and greet of crowds yesterday?

The exact same assumption could be laid at the RF door. Faced with a potential changer coming in, they and the media bound together to make sure that her environment was as difficult as possible and she was made sure to be aware that she was not wanted unless she gave up all her notions of being independent.

Given how they treated Diana, the weight of assumptions is clearly on the RF as they already have done similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No, it is not her right to refuse.....

The RF was built on and has survived on rules and traditions. You may not agree with them, but it's their family, not yours.

As a free woman, she can refuse, and then she will face the consequences. She thought she'd become a RF member, but without the need to conform. Arrogant and brazen behaviour, that has led to all this back and forth with her and the hubby.

I said it from the start: she was just not cut out for that life, and rather than go gracefully, she couldn't!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

She joined the family - as family she's still in it. Nothing has changed there. The only reason that they appear to be kept at arms length is because she's wired up for her documentary to record everything, including private family stuff.

What has changed is that both of them quit the family business. They didn't like the structure of it, they liked the CEO but didn't like what sounds like pretty much every layer of management. They also didn't like when other departments got the spotlight, and went out to grab it back whenever that happened. They wanted to pick and choose the bits that they liked, and leave the boring bits of their job to others. And they wanted to create new areas of business that go against the fundamental ethos of the company soley for their own personal profit stream. They didn't care if their short term gains resulted in the entire organisation going bust. They still don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only reason that they appear to be kept at arms length is because she's wired up for her documentary to record everything, including private family stuff.

Huh?

I take it there is tangible evidence she is wearing a wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Oprah now claiming she wasn't expecting any bombshells in the interview and was surprised at the revelations. She also says she isn't one to interfere in private family matters. All she wanted to do was allow them the opportunity to explain why they left (...and make millions for Harpo). Someone needs to remind Oprah that she had editorial control of that interview and, since an unnamed family member was accused of being a racist, she could have pulled it all on principle and reimburse those who bought ad space or edit out those bits. Oprah rolled the dice on a pair of spoofers but I suppose making money off the back of it is some consolation.

Her faux shocked expression at the racism allegations belies that bullshıt. Is Oprah trying to distance herself before the memoir is published?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Saw some close up photos of the walkabout and it does indeed look like a mic line running down Meghan's back to a square device are the front hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

There were rumours that they were wearing microphones during the julibee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

There's an identical bulge on the other side too which to me would suggest it's more likely to be part of the outfit she's wearing underneath the fitted coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Oprah was an absolute disgrace during that staged and choreographed attack. She was worse than H&M in how she just facilitated it. She’ll never live it down.

It looks like a dart on the other side, the seam type dart, not an actual one.

I doubt she'd get away with a mic with all the security though so I don't believe it is one. The backlash if they released a recording of private moments from either the jubilee or the funeral would finish them, and they can'tbe that stupid.

The whole mic thing started when they both wore one to the event for the Invictus Games, but they clearly had cameras with them so no one thought it was private if they spoke to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭ForestFire

You never heard of stereo??

And it just so happens, the best distance between two stereo mics, is the exact same distance of that between a woman's..................🥺

Ears....FFS.... Obviously its EARS.....(binaural recording)...

....of course 😇😁

• Advertisement

Oh I know, it's daft the things people believe. I read that apparently the man seated behind them during the julibee was wearing something to block their signal. He did seem to be keeping a close eye on them though! He now appears to be King Charles' right hand man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You'd think they'd have access to more sophisticated recording technology than something out of the 70s...

A cunning plan to place a "concealed" mic to look like a rather large misplaced nipple. 🤣🤣

That's getting into the realm of ridiculousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes, it is her right to refuse.

the royal family was also built on slavery, pilligery, slaughter and colonisation.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Yet she chose to marry into a family with such a history!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

My tuppence worth megan markle was not a suitable bride for the british royal family it was a culture clash and her motives were questionable. She has a huge thirst for fame and being known and she uses the title of Duchess in a way that is not acceptable in British aristocratic circles. Harry may use her as a crutch as he is still at a loss of his early mothering and unfortunately does not seem to have the stiff upper lip of his family. if they lived a happy sunny life in LA i would be fine with it but they dont they try to devalue the royal family and it has just given them a huge slap in the face, even evil Oprah is back peddling so fast now she might even lose weight !! :) So hopefully the next heir & spare choose more wisely !!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Bit late now for Oprah to be backing away from the content of the interview. I mean the glaring inconsistencies in the claims of racism should have been challenged more because as I’ve said numerous times on this thread, I have no time for monarchy and I think I applauded them leaving as monarchy is a weird institution, but also I don’t like the allegation of racism being thrown around, and certainly the proof needs to match the high bar to call make such an allegation, and I and others have said on this one point the evidence has been very contradictory.

And if they weren’t going to name the person then they should have said nothing because it left it sitting out there and suspicion fell on people who are completely innocent, and I really didn’t like that.

Totally and it’s one of the key reasons a lot of people have no time for Megan today

she uses her title in a way that is perfectly fine, whyy you would care about a foreign monarchy potentially being slighted a bit is very odd.

the royal family do a perfect job of devaluing themselves, all of their own accord, to sensible grown up people.

• Advertisement

a small amount yes.

mostly though it's the fact she mentioned she experienced racism from a member of the RF in the first place, the fauners both here and in the UK are unable to deal with that.

Advertisement