Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He'd have beaten both I think. He has an incredible defense and the fastest attack I've ever seen and incredible power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Wow spectacular from Crawford. His accuracy was frightening. Spence bad absolutely no answer that was as one sided as you'll ever see. No doubt we've seen the two best p4p fighers this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I missed first four rds. Who was knocked down rd 2?

edit: ok. Spence down.

Spence looks really lethargic in this interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Pacquiao’s style might suit Crawford, he could get picked off, but a prime Pacquiao might not give Crawford time to choose his shots. Prime Manny was relentless.

Crawford v Mayweather would be interesting. Two very clever counterpunchers. Mayweather was almost impossible to hit clean and had a strong chin.

• Advertisement

I think Errol's best move now would be to move up and forget about the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

We witnessed greatness tonight, nobody alive can do it like Crawford. Incredible dismantling of an elite fighter. Absolute joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

No interest in a rematch. Where was the Spence Jr. who went to war with Shawn Porter. Maybe that car crash did have a lasting impact. He looked slow and his punches had no force in them at all.

They were two great fighters and I seen almost every fight of Mayweather's career. I was and still am a big fan of Floyd. He was extremely smart and had a superb defense.

Crawford is different though. I've never seen anything like him. He figures out all his opponents in the first two rounds by moving at them with different angles and different punches to find the weaknesses.

For me he's almost certainly the greatest I've ever seen.

I think his power would be the difference against basically anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Holy sh1t, that was some beating. Superb by Crawford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well I got this one wrong!. What an incredible performance by Crawford. To be honest Spence looked like he knew he was up against as he walked to the ring. He looked nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I had a feeling that would happen, not sure at 35 how much longer Crawford can be that good but he is something else, he would have given any one in history in or around 140-150 something to think about.

It's a shame that some you tube boxers are better known than he is. Based on that performance he would have caused Mayweather a lot of problems if they had faced each other. There is absolutely no point in a rematch. I wouldn't be surprised if Spence decides not to pursue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes absolutely I don't think Crawford has made near as much money as he should have, hopefully he can rectify that over the next few years.

As good as Crawford looked against Spence, Mayweather’s feet and defence are far superior to Spence, and it was Spence’s feet and defence that hurt him last night, as well Crawford being very good.

getting a bit ahead of ourselves. I’d have to make Floyd a warm favorite v Terence. Style wise it’s an intense and strong pressure fighter with fitness and volume that would give Floyd real trouble.

Crawford is a methodical boxer/puncher. I reckon Floyd has acres of time to beat Crawford to the punch all night. Floyd’s jab and lead right hand key. And the defence and feet to minimise Crawford’s success.

Post edited by walshb on

Yes, Mayweather is a superior defensive fighter to Spence. So Crawford would not find it as easy to pick him off, but Crawford has an uncanny ability to adapt to another fighters style. He would not have as much success as he did in this fight against Mayweather, but I think it would be a close fight that could go either way.

Anyone else miss part of fight? I set alarm for 4:45 thinking it would start at 5:30, which is about 9:30 Las Vegas. I missed the first 4 rds

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Spence looked a step behind the entire fight and really slow. Whilst Crawford legitimately showed up, he looked stronger and sharper than ever before.

Errol was clearly weight drained, he hasn’t looked well the last few weeks on the lead up to this but credit where it’s due Crawford was the better fighter and really impressive. I can’t believe Errol held on for as long as he did, every shot from Crawford had legit power behind it.

Spence handled the defeat very well and make no excuses. Hopefully rematch is at 154.

There are always excuses with boxers. Give it wee bit time.

even in his interview he looked absolutely spent.

Spence was a step slower all night. Reckon years of making 147 caught up with him, plus his car crash a few years ago. These issues combined with facing such a great all rounder in Crawford is tough.

Prime Floyd beats any version of Crawford.

Crawford gives away rounds early and as adaptable as he is he would not be able to cope with Floyd’s speed, reflexes and boxing IQ.

Crawford as good as he is, is not able to fight on the inside really well. Floyd will control him in those clinches. And then in the centre of the ring Floyd will just be quicker and more “twitchy” for Crawford.

I see the fight 9-3 ish.

• Advertisement

Yes. Inside I think Floyd is better. Better at fighting and better at controlling. I just can’t see a path for Crawford to beat Floyd. Floyd’s hands too fast, crisp and sharp. And Floyd also hits hard enough to stun..

Floyd also had a very underrated chin, Corley, Castillo, Maidana and Mosley cracked him clean. Should Crawford manage to slip one or two big shots in over 12 rounds, Floyd simply adapt and shut him out from there.

The small tweak he made in between rounds (after being cracked by Mosley) basically left Mosley in no man’s land. Floyd even started coming forward and tried to knock him out, his ring IQ is up there with the greatest ever no doubt.

Beterbiev v Smith Aug 19 postponed due to infection in Beterbiev’s jaw.😖

Crawford is faster than Floyd ever was. Crawford, as I've said multiple times, uses the first two rounds to figure out his opponents, he throws shots from different angles, different positions, faints a lot. He's done that his whole career.

He never gets caught up in the clinch either. He's very strong and breaks away pretty easily. His jab will back anybody off.

He'd be up against the best boxing defense in the history of the sport. It'd be an interesting fight but when Floyd opens up he'll lose from round three onwards. Floyd will win in the clinch, no doubt about that, but Crawford's power would be too much for him I think.

He just put down a fighter multiple times who'd never been down in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did the 18 months out of the ring play a part for Spence?

Would he have benefited from a tune up fight?

I'd still expect a Bud win but Jesus Spence looked poor the other night.

Yes. He looked very ponderous and predictable, and Crawford’s trainer said as much. Basic!!

Post edited by walshb on

Crawford never was faster with hands, reflexes or feet than Floyd. Specsavers for you

Post edited by walshb on

Have watched it back couple times now. Don’t think I’ve seen a boxer so casual, yet so sharp and in-tune during a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

That has always been Crawford, he is so assured and confident in what he does, he trusts the system yet he doesn't seem cocky, even talking to Charlo during the fight, you hang on every word/movement with Crawford, it's like watching art

As Eagleeyed said, he takes the first 2 rounds to figure out his opponent after the download it's game over.

The above v porter just showcases how he can switch it on at ease, there aren't many like him.

Round 10 gets told Porter is up, within 15 seconds porter is down, within 1 minute the fight is over.

number 1 P4P easy, he was before spence Jr, but after the showcase it just reaffirms it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Who would you put him in with for a tune up?

Imagine having a tune up and possibly getting knocked out.

The Mega Money Fight with Bud gone in flash.

Advertisement