Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Like watching art, that sums it up for me.

He almost looks to be above it all when he's in the ring, he's concentrating, but has no fear of defeat whatsoever, totally clear eyed and methodical. I find him fascinating to watch in the ring. Before the Spence fight one of the criticisms was that he hadn't fought high enough quality opponents. I think part of the reason that was being said was that Crawford made the fights look easier than was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,668 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No need for tune-up. He’s a veteran. He either has it or he doesn’t. He’s been 10 years making 147 lbs, and has fought heavier as well plenty times. Just needs to regroup, move up and fight Bud again. Bud likely beats him at 154 as well

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Assume everyones buying Jake Paul vs Nate Diaz at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Considering buying it multiple times to show my support, I’ve got a crate of prime ordered and a 5kg sack of flaming hot Cheetos at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Katie vs Cameron rematch confirmed for November. Hard to see how Katie can reverse the outcome based on the first fight.

• Advertisement

Katie can reverse the decision if she is stronger physically and has better feet, and maybe if Cameron is less prepared and intense. All ifs..

I reckon Cameron wins again

why November? Surely bit earlier

and it’s a real ballsy move by Katie. The desire to prove that she’s better. Another defeat would really take the shine off her pro career I feel. She must feel something to tell her she can beat Cameron. I expect a run and steal type game plan

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

I don’t think it would be fair to say it takes the shine off. Boxers should be applauded for taking risky fights.

If she loses she should be congratulated for being willing to take the tough fight.

Too many boxers not taking the risky fights.

Yes, congratulated for taking the risk, but still two back to back losses on home soil will take some a the shine off her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Finally getting the posts read now.

Bud is a special fighter but that’s the worst version of Spence. I’m not sure that it was Bud being so good to make him look bad. The Porter one is interesting by comparison. That Spence was a very good fighter. He made so many mistakes this time round but showed great heart. I\m a bit disappointed it didn’t live up.

Bud vs Mayweather is some fight. Mayweather would be racing ahead in the first half but Bus is a bogeyman. That huge jab would be devastating. If Bud got even Mayweather into trouble then I think he finishes it off. Mayweather’s ability to avoid is amazing though. Very hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Katie surely won't start quite as slowly, to me she seemed a bit overawed by the occasion. She does have a chance, but going up in weight clearly did not suit her. It'd be a great achievement if she were to reverse the result, but it does not look very likely.

• Advertisement

Katie’s key issue is can she physically compete with Cameron… can she hold her own up close n personal. It’s either she can, or she needs to get on her bike and hope to steal and run

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

The Jake Paul circus is finished. Can't shift tickets for his fight this weekend with Nate Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I doubt Crawford hits harder than Mosley, though. Floyd had a great chin, if he didn't he would have been out cold from that shot he took off Mosley. I watched the Spence - Crawford fight again last night, while Crawford was impressive, Spence's footwork and body movement was poor enough at times. Mayweather would have avoided many of those shots and countered effectively.

I think it would be a close fight that could go either way.

Crawford creates such angles and hits so sweet. Floyd did have an excellent chin and a way of not allowing much to land clean. I agree, Spence was very predictable and when he went for those body jabs he was a sitting duck. He didn’t get going at all. I always fretted for him seemingly not wanting that fight. I dont think we got his best version this time and thats a real shame. The guy who beat Porter was much better and arguably not even that was his best. 154 might be interesting but Bud would be a huge favourite. Floyd would have much better footwork and that calmness he exuded in the line of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The fight was poor, as expected I suppose.

I watched Serrano v Hardy before it, Hardy was battered around the ring but stayed in there until the final bell. I only mention this as I don't think Katie Taylor would have lived with Serrano last night - did anyone else see it and think that? or did Hardy just make her look better?

Please, god!!

“The WBC is set to mandate a bout between Shakur Stevenson and Vasiliy Lomachenko for the vacant belt at 135. 

The impending decision arrives following Devin Haney’s decision to move up to 140 and fight Regis Prograis for his WBC belt. 

In the process of doing so, Haney will avoid his WBC mandatory Shakur Stevenson. The ‘Dream’ will become a ‘champion in recess,’ leaving Shakur up against the next highest-ranked contender, which is Lomachenko.”

Hardy absolutely made her look better. Too easily hit and feet of cement. An old woman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah very average opponent. Credit to Amanda but doesn't mean much in grand scheme of things whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Valdez vs. Navarette will be a good action fight this weekend.

Valdez v Navarrette a barn-burner according to reports. Just watching now

• Advertisement

Denis McCann's first decent test Friday on TNT Sports against Ionut Balute.

Balute gave MC hell a couple years ago at SBW, and could have gotten the decision. He also stopped DOJ few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Very entertaining so far even if not the most aesthetically pleasing.

Front row looking very sparkly and tanned mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,590 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It ended in the ninth due to cuts to McCann which came about through two accidental head butts. A Majority draw was the result with one judge giving it be a point to McCann.

I'm sure we'll see a rematch. I think McCann will have learned a lot from that fight.

Ionut is a real litmus test for any young guy looking to break through.

Didn’t get to see it, but have it recorded. Will give it a gander

Beefy is 2-1 on to repeat! Hope he stuffs Chris again.

Errol has activated rematch clause for Bud fight II. Looking at end a this year. Might be at 154 lbs.

Logical thing to do. If he didn’t activate it then the fight might not be there again for him. Not sure I give him much chance of winning but it would be nice to see him give the best account of himself. Porter challenged Bud much more.

His only chance be is to be fit, aggressive and very busy pushing forward. He tries to box/fight and Crawford has too much in his toolkit.

I agree that’s the best tactic but I think Bud still picks him off without much bother. Mentally I’m not too sure Spence could get to a place where he believes he can win it.

• Advertisement

Lyndon Arthur fighting now on ch 5 for IBO title.

Advertisement