Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sub €500 watch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

scwazrh wrote: »
    It’s not all Steinharts though that are homages .

Think the stowa marine and H. Moser. Venturer would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

With things opening up it might be worth the OP taking a spin to Kildare village and checking out Hour Passion....they stock all the swatch family so you get plenty of Tissot and Hamilton for sub 500 which would be less than their retail price.....500 quid is decent money to spend so maybe its worth trying on a few in person before committing....they do flash sales too apparently....

My sub 500 choice would be a hamilton....have a couple, favourite of which is a Khaki aviator 42mm quartz....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, Hamilton do a few nice watches. Here's one although chances are you'll get caught for customs.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, Hamilton do a few nice watches. Here's one although chances are you'll get caught for customs.

I’m not sure what their policy is these days as been a while since I bought from them but if I recall, they tended to be a bit “pro buyer” with their customs declarations….if you know what I mean….

As a non-diver/sports watch option, a Tissot Heritage Visodate should be around that price, and is outstanding value. Attractive dial and case, display back, housing an ETA 2836 with nicely done vintage throwback looks.

You wouldn't be taking it swimming but other than that, a great all rounder. Lots of options for the dial colour. You can get it on a leather strap with deployant or a milanese bracelet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    As a non-diver/sports watch option, a Tissot Heritage Visodate should be around that price, and is outstanding value. Attractive dial and case, display back, housing an ETA 2836 with nicely done vintage throwback looks.

You wouldn't be taking it swimming but other than that, a great all rounder. Lots of options for the dial colour. You can get it on a leather strap with deployant or a milanese bracelet.

That blue face :eek:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_An-qwE3BM4

Take my money.

ecoli3136 wrote: »

Yeah, i'd second that....tried one on before and wears a bit on the small side for me but they're a very nice watch.....also the seiko prestidge (I think) cocktail dial is a nice one too in a similar style....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The modern Strela for less than 500 is hard to beat.

https://www.poljot24.de/en/co40cyb2.html

co40cybs2eckig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

I like the look of some of the Dan Henry designs - https://danhenrywatches.com/collections/vintage-watches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

griffin100 wrote: »
    I like the look of some of the Dan Henry designs - https://danhenrywatches.com/collections/vintage-watches

Big fan of the 1970.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

griffin100 wrote: »

Some of those are lovely. Had a 1970 in my basket all ready to go just now but they don't deliver to Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Some of those are lovely. Had a 1970 in my basket all ready to go just now but they don't deliver to Ireland :(

T'would be the '62 'Evil Panda' for me.
    Dan_Henry_1962_Racing_Chronograph_Evil_Panda_No_Date_1000x.png?v=1605710613

These are the ones that use Seiko meca-quartz movements - I likes them.

Edit to add: What's the story with not delivering to Ireland?

On this one above, it says: Free shipping worldwide / to EU (VAT included)

Da' Feck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes according to their 'shipping info' Ireland is the only country in the EU that they don't ship to, which is surprising.

I sent them an email to ask why. Will let you know if and when they respond.

Edit: I got an answer pretty quickly and here's what it says:

"Unfortunately, we were forced to stop shipping to Ireland due to the
    many ongoing delivery issues and losses by the Irish postal services,
    or by shipping couriers such as UPS and DHL.

Alternatively, we could send your watch to a friend or relative of yours
    in one of the countries listed as available for shipping on our checkout;
    or you can also hire a mail forwarder that provides an address in the EU.
    (such as France, Germany, Austria, etc.)"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Which colour version we're you looking to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Which colour version we're you looking to buy?

Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I was torn between the orange or blue version when I got mine. Went for the orange in the end after much consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

'Best' is obviously subjective, but my preference would be for something very clean and uncluttered, with a dial having radial symmetry.

At comfortably under the price limit, the Mondaine Simply Elegant.

Urkml2H
    https://mondaine.com/collections/mens-watches/products/mondaine-sbb-simplyelegant-steel-41mm

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Thirdfox wrote: »
    In many ways you're spoilt for choice at the 500 euro mark - do you want complications, material or homage 1:1 likeness etc.?

You get tourbillons for 3-400 usd on sale, access to titanium (including grade 2), some very 1:1 homages at this price point - just not all 3 in the same package. So it depends…

I think for a strong contender of an original brand I'd vote for Beijing Beihai:
    https://bartels-watches.com/en/products/bwf-beijing-watch-beihai
    395 euro so you have servicing costs left over too - 3/4 plate, in-house movement, gold (plated) chatons and relatively decent finishing for the price all in a slim package that isn't a direct homage of anything else.

edit: put in photos:

Beijing-Watch-Factory-Beihai-BG010001_1024x1024.jpg

Beijing-Watch-Factory-Beihai-BG010001-Werk_1024x1024.jpg
    That’s not abad looking watch, but my heart would sink a little every time I looked at it , knowing it’s Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

oldsmokey wrote: »
    That’s not abad looking watch, but my heart would sink a little every time I looked at it , knowing it’s Chinese

:( why? Beijing Watch Factory was set up in 1958 so plenty of horological history...

http://chinesewatchwiki.net/Beijing_Watch_Factory

They also make watches that cost around $20,000 and above too - beautiful cloisonné dials, double tourbillons etc. - and nothing to do with fakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jasus, that's mad smokey. Looks, quality and value are the 3 important things for me, couldn't care less where it's made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭banie01

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Thirdfox wrote: »
    :( why? Beijing Watch Factory was set up in 1958 so plenty of horological history...

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jasus, that's mad smokey. Looks, quality and value are the 3 important things for me, couldn't care less where it's made.

I'd be in the camp that asks why too tbh?

Does where a well made and handsome watch, that carries a bit of history behind too is made, matter?

If it does, why?
    I mean it's not a copy, it's a fresh and quite striking design and I'm sure there are many other similar examples.
    Why dwell on where it's made, if it's a quality piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

banie01 wrote: »
    Why dwell on where it's made, if it's a quality piece?

Where things are made or come from can be a determining factor for some purchasers on moral grounds. I'm thinking of South Africa under apartheid, Israeli occupied territories and yes China today.

Obviously as an owner of several Chinese made watches I'm not one of them but I do give preference (all other things being equal) to Irish made followed by European.

Where things are made or come from can be a determining factor for some purchasers on moral grounds. I'm thinking of South Africa under apartheid, Israeli occupied territories and yes China today..

If the case is going to be made that China and its social credit system and its own questionable practices in Xianjing are the reason to shudder everytime one checks their watch?

I'd hope that the poster in question carries the same level of zeal into every other aspect of their life and has the same reaction to every other item with a touch of Chinese manufacturing input.

Boycott certainly has a role in ensuring that social injustice is highlighted and addressed.
    One's heart sinking when they check the time on a Chinese watch?
    Sounds far more like treating Chinese manufacturers as generic cheap tat, rather than a noble stance against injustice.

Your own view certainly has merit and are actions I would certainly support
    But, nowhere in the post that kicked off this discussion are such ideals mentioned.
    Rather it's a throwaway dig that has what I hope are inadvertent, racist undertones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I think a lot of skepticism around Chinese products is well founded but also unfair in some ways. Anytime I have bought anything directly from China it has been of very poor quality and design. This would put me off spending any sort of decent money on something Chinese. This is unfair for two main reasons, firstly anything I have bought direct from China has been dirt cheap so what do I expect? Secondly, I am ignoring the fact that a hell of a lot of the "quality" Western products I buy are also made in China. This proves that they can build stuff as good as anyone.

I do think that China does itself no favours though. Why do they produce so much junk? It damages the brand of the country. As far as I can see the products marketed direct to consumer are usually rubbish and the good stuff is all for B2B. People are very skeptical but it's not all unfounded.

Also, in relation to the political stuff above, to be fair to CT, I don't think anything he said is remotely racist. Criticising the Chinese state doesn't make you racist anymore than criticising Israel makes you an anti semite. Edit, I see you weren't referencing CTs post.

redlead wrote: »
    I think a lot of skepticism around Chinese products is well founded but also unfair in some ways. Anytime I have bought anything directly from China it has been of very poor quality and design. This would put me off spending any sort of decent money on something Chinese. This is unfair for two main reasons, firstly anything I have bought direct from China has been dirt cheap so what do I expect? Secondly, I am ignoring the fact that a hell of a lot of the "quality" Western products I buy are also made in China. This proves that they can build stuff as good as anyone.

I do think that China does itself no favours though. Why do they produce so much junk? It damages the brand of the country. As far as I can see the products marketed direct to consumer are usually rubbish and the good stuff is all for B2B. People are very skeptical but it's not all unfounded.

Agree with you.
    I'd compare it to Britain and Birmingham at their industrial peak 1820s thru to 1900, or Germany and their balance of cheap consumer goods versus high quality industry particularly in 1880 to 1914.

Those were "workshops of the world" huge industrial capacity was devoted to not just high quality industrial output but also towards huge numbers of cheap, exportable consumer goods.

China today is really no different, the industrial capacity is huge.
    Entrepreneur class that gains experience in big industry hives of their skills towards smaller markets and cost cutting is endemic in growing a profit margin.

It's an industrial/consumer model that repeats with the rise of each economic/industrial power and the cycle will continue when China is surpassed too IMO.

PS, I never said or implied that CT was racist nor his post.
    My example solely relates to the post that kicked off this stream by Oldmonkey.
    I would note that I didn't say he was racist either, rather that it was a definite undertone and without clarification one that people may follow.

Advertisement